• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought I'd see a mode less half-assed than Invasion, but there it is.

Good riddance.
Invasion hate? Invasion is the tits.

Now I won't be able to browse this thread at school anymore lol. This page will be blocked cause the word Tits is on the page lol. Page #174 let's gooooo.

Edit: Oh god damn it.

Tawpgun

Invasion hate? Invasion is the tits.

Now I won't be able to browse this thread at school anymore lol. This page will be blocked cause the word Tits is on the page lol. Page #174 let's gooooo.

Edit: Oh god damn it.

Get shit on.

Also because you think Invasion was good. You should FR Tunavi.

Tits

Shadders

I have had some truly great games of Invasion. When it clicked and the teams were even it was truly fantastic, but too many games were dull and unmemorable.

I think Spartan vs. Spartan would have helped as virtually everyone prefers using the UNSC weapons.

Gui_PT

My favorite thing about Invasion was how on the 3rd phase, the defenders had to defend an objective in a tiny tiny closed room with loadouts that included: Shotguns, Grenade Launchers, Energy Swords, Concussion Rifles AND had power weapon spawns next to their own spawns.

How can you not like that?!

Tawpgun

My favorite thing about Invasion was how on the 3rd phase, the defenders had to defend an objective in a tiny tiny closed room with loadouts that included: Shotguns, Grenade Launchers, Energy Swords, Concussion Rifles AND had power weapon spawns next to their own spawns.

How can you not like that?!

Hmm. 3rd phase? Sounds like every phase in Halo 4.

Or every minute in Dominion?

Oh you captured this point? Have 6 rockets!

Omni

Dominion is better than Invasion. It is known.

Although, I miss Elite slayer.

Dominion is absolutely terrible. Invasion craps on it any time of the week.

The worse thing about it all is that Dominion has huge potential. I could see the gametype being used for very fun things... but in its current implementation it's just a mess.

HTupolev

I have had some truly great games of Invasion. When it clicked and the teams were even it was truly fantastic, but too many games were dull and unmemorable.

I think Spartan vs. Spartan would have helped as virtually everyone prefers using the UNSC weapons.

Invasion playlist had a lot of bad stuff. Gametype was something you could do things with, though. Invasion customs can be amazing. Like, one map called Sangheili Don't Surf plays pretty much exactly like this video suggests.

Wasn't the reason for not porting CE's multiplayer that it wasn't designed with online play in mind, so had nothing in place to deal with wonky connections and packet travel time etc. So it just wouldn't be able to play the same?
More like they didn't allocate the time or money to reconstruct the engine with a half-decent networking model. Every game ever* feels different online as compared with local play; since Halo operates peer-to-peer, Halo fans are extremely familiar with this.

*With real-time action.

Dominion is a mess.

No, it just power weapons in close spaces, sometimes it spawns the same power weapon on the two captured bases in all ordinances spawn WTF!.

Invasion was awful because you could be spawn trapped and there are not off limits area for the defenders to move to the attackers spawn base.

Ghazi

They should've done something similar to Invasion Slayer where vehicles and weapons spawned on flat ground areas when you took a point. It was common for them to be stolen by the enemy team if you couldn't defend it properly, of course you'd deal with issues like covenant waiting for the Spartans to take the point and killing them so they'd get a Skorpion rather than a Wraith, but that wouldn't be the case in Dominion. If the power weapons didn't spawn so often and in such high numbers I could see it being a fun game type. ALL I WANTED WAS GENERATOR DEFENSE IN THE FULL GAME, BUNGIE!

Omni

I've played maybe 10 or so games of Extraction. Or some random low amount. Didn't think that it was anything special.

I still wantz assault back

Tawpgun

I actually like 1 site extraction better than assault. Assault was basically just a slightly different CTF game.

Extraction is incredibly intense.

iy7IcXfB0BuU7.gif

Although, I miss Elite slayer.

iboswQtjpZr5Na.gif

invasion = terrible
Nope. That Gametype has a lot of potential.
The only playlist with Camo & Jetpack that I could tolerate. What was bad about it was the spawn times for Tanks, Banshees, Initial Spawning, and shit players who back out. Jip would help this.

Havok

Invasion had a lot of potential. The way they were able to swap between objective types was inherently a much better idea than Dominion, which is just a less interesting, more opaque version of 3 Plots...but with a power weapon pinata exploding every 45 seconds. Invest more into Invasion's separate map pool, fix its third phase loadouts, and tweak weapons on map and you have a really interesting idea. I can't say the same for Dominion - the very idea of camp-promoting weapon drops doesn't sit well with me, nor does its convoluted scoring system.

Fuchsdh

Nope. That Gametype has a lot of potential.
The only playlist with Camo & Jetpack that I could tolerate. What was bad about it was the spawn times for Tanks, Banshees, Initial Spawning, and shit players who back out. Jip would help this.
You're forgetting shooting galleries. The weakest part of invasion was the last phase where the attackers get slaughtered tryin to push the objective to the rally point. It's a disappointing ending to the game.

Just got back from an HBO LAN, got to play my first BTB games on Relic, Waterworks, Avalanche, and Containment, plus Firefight compettions. Twas glorious. Any good reading in this thread from the weekend?

Invasion had a lot of potential. The way they were able to swap between objective types was inherently a much better idea than Dominion, which is just a less interesting, more opaque version of 3 Plots...but with a power weapon pinata exploding every 45 seconds. Invest more into Invasion's separate map pool, fix its third phase loadouts, and tweak weapons on map and you have a really interesting idea. I can't say the same for Dominion - the very idea of camp-promoting weapon drops doesn't sit well with me, nor does its convoluted scoring system.
You're forgetting shooting galleries. The weakest part of invasion was the last phase where the attackers get slaughtered tryin to push the objective to the rally point. It's a disappointing ending to the game.
All of this.
I only played 1 Invasion Forged Map that was a remake to New Alexandria's Supply Hanger in Invasion Slayer and was that glorious.

So how did I do in the interview?
It was a good listen for sure, even though I personally didn't like some of the answers that were given.

And no offense to your co-host (I actually thought heckfu had bailed out at one point), but next time just get Havok to help you with getting some solid questions and answers.

Big thanks for getting all that together, Tashi.

You know what? I didn't realize this now but in Battlefield 3's Beta they used a very similar gametype that reflected a lot how Invasion played. Wow.

Edit: BF3 Gametype was called, "Rush".

I feel like dominion could be awesome if it only dropped resupply crates for grenades and ammo for loadouts weapons. i would also like static on a timer ordnance around the map. Only spawn mongii in the bases for fast transport.

Everyday on HaloGAF I learn I apparently have awful taste when it comes to Halo.

"Halo 3 is best Halo."

"Imvasion is fun."

"Armor Effects were awesome."

We all agree that ODST was amazing, right?

Pop

Everyday on HaloGAF I learn I apparently awful taste when it comes to Halo.

"Halo 3 is best Halo."

"Imvasion is fun."

"Armor Effects were awesome."

We all agree that ODST was amazing, right?

What terrible opinions, it's like I'm viewing a waypoint post.

Oh and ODST
FF
was great

Omni

oh gosh. It's now 5am and I'm still awake. I guess the only real thing to do is to stay up all day and get a full night sleep tomorrow. :\

Might as well try to get the last achievements in Halo CEA. Gotta find those damn Elites on Keyes....

You know what? I didn't realize this now but in Battlefield 3's Beta they used a very similar gametype that reflected a lot how Invasion played. Wow.

Edit: BF3 Gametype was called, "Rush".

huh? Its one of its trademark gametypes since Bad Co.

Dominion is from Battlefield's Conquest and Extraction is actually Sabotage from COD4.

Every single new game mode introduced in Reach and 4 has sucked.
Headhunter
Invasion
Stockpile
Regicide
Dominion

Burn them all.

I dont actually mind Extraction but I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist.

TCKaos

The best Invasion maps were new and different experiences for multiplayer. Obligatory shameless self advertisement:

Invasion: Halo Reunion Tour (Formerly Invasion: Silent Cartographer) features a beach landing like the one featured in Silent Cartographer, where upon successfully taking the beachhead will spawn two Warthogs and a Mongoose for use against the Revenant and Wraith. The final battle is a large scale vehicle battle to take down a Covenant Tyrant model AA gun.

Invasion: HALO is loosely based off of the second mission of Halo: Combat Evolved and begins with players pushing up a mountain side and across a bridge to a small Covenant outpost. Upon taking the outpost players are ushered down the moutainside to a large Forerunner tower that they must defend for a period of time, with the attacking players (UNSC) being placed inside of the area being defended by the Covenant. The Covenant must have enough of a constant presence to run down the clock before the UNSC holds it for 40 seconds. At this point the UNSC recovers an artifact and must bring it to a nearby Pelican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom