• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

Population numbers don't mean squat. Team Throwdown is one of the best playlists in the game and it constantly has crappy numbers.

I remember someone saying that games were being casualized to attract a larger audience and have and have a larger population.

Halo 4 doesn't show this. Not at all.

Population numbers don't mean squat. Team Throwdown is one of the best playlists in the game and it constantly has crappy numbers.

I didn't mean to say less population = bad settings. I'm just not seeing any interest on the forge front. One thing Dominion does way better than Invasion is share maps with other playlists like BTB, so I imagine that'll happen long before forge maps are adopted.

I remember someone saying that games were being casualized to attract a larger audience and have and have a larger population.

It only works when you don't drive off your existing fanbase to attract the casuals.

Halo 4:

Drive away fanbase, but evened out by the new casuals attracted. Those casuals left though 7 days later when CoD released, and now Halo 4 has lost the Halo fanbase and casual fanbase.

Sad really. 343 gambled all they had, and made no return.

Nebula

Gf read the first three in three weeks, she said the first was the worst one, still good though so I'm sure it'll pick up. Also, if you read the series and then watch the show, don't be that guy who always corrects everything the show did wrong while watching it. It's more annoying than you know.

The only book to grab me and not let me go was Wolves of the Calla, part of The Dark Tower series. I couldn't put it down and was reading it until 4 in the morning. It was fantastic. Something I'd love to read again, but this time having read the previous books in the series.

Gordon

They attracted a larger launch population. Persistent player populations don't matter anymore. Xbox wants to be isolate from PC and games that run 10 years don't work for them. They want annual releases on everything, with $80-$100 worth of DLC a pop. Basically the movie industry theory - "If we release twice the content every year, surely the population can afford to pay twice as much every year!"

You're an idiot.

Source(s): hiring new people for sustain teams, TU's.
I'm not saying they don't care at all, but not like they used to.

Havok

Every single new game mode introduced in Reach and 4 has sucked.
Headhunter
Invasion
Stockpile
Regicide
Dominion

Burn them all.

I dont actually mind Extraction but I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist.
Stockpile didn't really stink by virtue of the gametype itself, it was really more how Bungie kept putting it on maps that just made no sense at all (Powerhouse, Sword Base). Once 343 brought it back and only had it on symmetric maps, it was actually pretty decent.

If you're really serious about everything on that list, might as well throw Halo 3 in there since its new gametype, VIP, was worse than just about all the others you listed combined.

Facade that they give a shit about the game after sales. Shitty sustain team, really how big is it? All they've said is Bravo. Shitty patches that have added almost nothing six months after release, not to mention each patch has had additional issues! ONE, read: ONE, tournament that was outsourced that was terribly shitty and only nojob nerds could have won!, terrible playlist management, and three map packs that were probably done or close to finished at the time of release that werent even created by the same company that made this game!

You wonder why noone plays this game its because you need to stop fucking up and in case you havent noticed you've been fucking up.

PM me Frankie.

Facade that they give a shit about the game after sales. Shitty sustain team, really how big is it? All they've said is Bravo. Shitty patches that have added almost nothing six months after release, one tournament that was outsource, terrible playlist management, and three map packs that were probably done or close to finished at the time of release.

You wonder why noone plays this game its because you need to stop fucking up and in case you havent noticed you've been fucking up.

PM me Frankie.

Will you be on reach in 6 hours time?

DeadNames

Banned
I'm gonna give 343 the benefit of the doubt with h4.

hopefully the xbox 420 will allow for better stuff. and I hope 343 isn't so dense as to make another game with bad maps/bad sandbox/bad mechanics/loadouts.

although I'd be fine if they kept the core gameplay™.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm gonna give 343 the benefit of the doubt with h4.

hopefully the xbox 420 will allow for better stuff. and I hope 343 isn't so dense as to make another game with bad maps/bad sandbox/bad mechanics/loadouts.

although I'd be fine if they kept the core gameplay™.

Halo 5 will play like Halo 4.

You know what Halo needs?

More books with badass characters doing badass things.

Why were Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx awesome? Aside from Eric Nylund, they had badass Spartans doing badass things. Like five Spartans killing 1000 Grunts in about three seconds in the first chapter of Fall of Reach.

Or some Spartans jumping out of a fucking Pelican a thousand feet in the air and dropping down into the forest to land on their feet. Or how about two Spartans single-handedly capturing Wraith tanks and demolishing entire Covenant bases. The Battle of Reach was practically two full-halves of their respective books of Spartans doing awesome shit.

Or 300 Spartans charging a Covenant city all in a single line...could you imagine seeing that?. Or Will taking out a hunter with his bare hands. I remember literally jumping to my feet when I read that. Hell, I re-read the entire series this past summer and was freaking out about that part even now!

Even the child Spartan Headhunters in Evolutions were cool as hell. After that, the books went in a direction toward more expansive and different stuff, and I accept that and enjoyed it(Johnson and Keyes are pretty cool main characters), but we need Spartans doing cool stuff!

I love the Forerunner trilogy and all that, it was fantastic...but it was missing what makes Halo...Halo to me. It expanded the universe and provided some fantastic backstory, but there was nothing exceptionally cool about it. The Kilo-5 Trilogy has been alright, but at the same time there is hardly any action in them and when there is action it is mostly low-level hiding in the shadows stuff. Because there is only about 1.5 Spartans in the squad, which makes for limitations on what you can roll with them. The ODSTs have been okay, but man...bring back Kelly, Fred, and Linda.

Frankie, I know you read this stuff. There's gotta be more books planned now that the Forerunner trilogy is done, right? Kilo5 only has one more book left. That can't be it after that, right?

/wishfulhoping

Get on XBC and let's play some H1/H2. I'm down for whatever though if you still wanna play something, same goes for anyone else.

Howdoidodiz? I've got Halo:CE from Xbox Original downloads, Halo:CEA, and Halo 2 on disc.

You know what Halo needs?

More books with badass characters doing badass things.

. . .

/wishfulhoping

So much yes in all of this post.

Howdoidodiz? I've got Halo:CE from Xbox Original downloads, Halo:CEA, and Halo 2 on disc.

Guess that just leaves us with Halo 2 or Halo 4 lol - Here's the link to download XBC and here's the link to help set it up.

I could never help but notice how dumb those attacking Elites were..

Madness

Im still waiting for Spartans that can move and shoot like the ones in Halo Wars.

zxNMipt.jpg

Why couldn't this have been an armor in Halo 4? I just miss the look of the Mjolnir standard armor. The recruit armor looks like the standard armor moving forward.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
zxNMipt.jpg

Why couldn't this have been an armor in Halo 4? I just miss the look of the Mjolnir standard armor. The recruit armor looks like the standard armor moving forward.
This design looks like a horrifyingly stretched, bump mapped and skewed version of the Halo 1 armor. Such a mishmash of design language from the chest to the shoulders to legs to the helmet. Yuck.

Madness

This design looks like a horrifyingly stretched, bump mapped and skewed version of the Halo 1 armor. Such a mishmash of design language from the chest to the shoulders to legs to the helmet. Yuck.

It was just art to show the early iterations of Mjolnir Spartans during Halo Wars. Obviously things got refined.

But what I'm saying is, this is easily better than half the armors in Halo 4 and the helmet is easily better than things like gorillas, pig snouts, 3 dots, and other dumb helmets in 4.

This makes me think of a Spartan, not a recruit S-IV. But to each his own I guess.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You don't like his Hank Hill ass?

Madness

Of course the armor isn't refined. Someone mentioned Halo Wars Spartans and I remembered when I saw their art. They looked rudimentary and large and you could tell were early versions but looked familiar.

I'm not trying to say it's the perfect iteration. It's like Terminator, it looks like a T-600 as opposed to a refined T-800

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
That's no fatty, that's a fanny.

Gonna have to disagree. On every single piece of armor in Halo 4 too.

I have my quibbles with every single design even with Halo 1s, but I got attuned to Halo 4's quick, and it really feels like an evolution in many places, including the helmet.
Halo 4 has a lot of good armour, but some look really weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom