• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Invasion on Breakpoint was pretty awesome by memory (map was also the prettiest in the entire series multiplayer wise). Really was a bummer that almost no one had the damn DLC maps in that game though

The best Invasion maps were new and different experiences for multiplayer. Obligatory shameless self advertisement:

Invasion: Halo Reunion Tour (Formerly Invasion: Silent Cartographer) features a beach landing like the one featured in Silent Cartographer, where upon successfully taking the beachhead will spawn two Warthogs and a Mongoose for use against the Revenant and Wraith. The final battle is a large scale vehicle battle to take down a Covenant Tyrant model AA gun.

Invasion: HALO is loosely based off of the second mission of Halo: Combat Evolved and begins with players pushing up a mountain side and across a bridge to a small Covenant outpost. Upon taking the outpost players are ushered down the moutainside to a large Forerunner tower that they must defend for a period of time, with the attacking players (UNSC) being placed inside of the area being defended by the Covenant. The Covenant must have enough of a constant presence to run down the clock before the UNSC holds it for 40 seconds. At this point the UNSC recovers an artifact and must bring it to a nearby Pelican.

To think a possible reason they got rid of the Falcon was because of PP and Plasma Grenade loadouts sickens me..

How do you remove the two greatest additions in Reach? RIP Falcon and Grenade Launcher.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
For anyone in this thread who's stopped playing Halo 4 or still plays but doesn't particularly enjoy it and misses that multiplayer experience I would recommend you give Quake live a go. It shares a lot of the fundamental principles that made Halo so good: Equal starts, high skill gap, balanced weapons, competitive map design, fast gameplay, power weapons/ups on map etc etc. The skill gap in my opinion is actually wider than in any halo game and there is also more depth in other areas. The movement system for example is very complex and is literally an art to master. The game is free to play, runs through a browser and doesn't require a powerful system to run.

I've been playing this game for a couple of months and its so refreshing after playing Halo 4. Even when I get dominated I don't find it frustrating because I know that the other player/s was just that much more skillful. There are no cheap weapons or tactics that will frustrate you endlessly such as almost the entire Halo 4 sandbox or Halo 4's multiplayer design itself. I've found it nicely fills the gap that Halo left, for me personally anyway.

halo-reach-invasion1.jpg

Both Invasion and Dominion have issues, but the former's were mostly a lack of proper support post-launch. Invasion is more canon-invested than Dominion, which would ironically fit 343's canon focus. It's also more powerful since it is a multi-objective game with dynamic loadouts and map geometry, whereas Dominion is every Domination gametype ever rebranded for Halo 4 (with 2 letters missing). However, Dominion has some great features that will do wonders for Invasion. Let's work those into them:

Invasion Phase 1:
The reason players spawn out in the open is so they have to move towards cover, but the most common complaint with Invasion was about the spawn killing during this phase. So one solution would be to add team-specific trait zones. A zone will cover the Spartan spawning area and be set to "Spartans only", meaning Elites would get a Return to Allied Territory! warning should they venture into that area. This way shit like this doesn't happen. Combining this with elevated spawns like Breakpoint would deter defenders from getting too zealous during Phase 1. It's important for these trait zones to be kept to a bare minimum when necessary, so we don't restrict offensive strategies of the defenders.

Starting with low-tier weapons is also part of the game mode, so those weapons need to be competent on their own. It's ironic that the Boltshot is now a headshot weapon, which would serve Elites somewhat better than a Plasma Pistol. But with a powerful Storm Rifle and Needler, they'd be just fine compared to a Magnum and Assault Rifle. I hate using automatics as much as anyone, but it's that way for a reason (Invasion was DMR starts in the Beta for a few days....lol)

Invasion Phase 2:
This is a critical part of Invasion because half of the map becomes a spawning zone for the attackers and the other half is left to defenders, creating a more traditional 1-sided match. Here's where Dominion's additions will start to show up, as we will use the vehicle pads for both teams in lieu of shielded vehicle bays. This ensures that each team has a vehicle set that they are responsible for spawning into the game. 30 second respawn timers were used in Reach to give vehicles more time in the match, but we can bump that up anywhere from 45-60 seconds depending on the map and round time if it becomes an issue.

Invasion Phase 3:
This part of the game also received complaints because Spartans would camp the core room with Armor Lock and Shotguns. Thankfully there is no ability like that going forward; however, this part only requires simple loadout tweaks to prevent that. I don't think Swords or Shotguns should be in loadouts at all. With Dominion's resupply feature, we can have those weapons drop into the match for the teams on regular intervals. Similar to vehicle bays, Elites will have to go to a site and arm it for a few seconds for it to drop a resupply, which prevents Spartans from stealing their weapons. There shouldn't be more than 8 power weapons spawning during the phase though. 1 CQB weapon, 1 sniper, and 2 anti-vehicle weapons for each team should cover all the bases without providing everyone on the team with a Rocket Launcher or Shotgun.

EDIT: You could even add Dominion auto-turrets to this phase as well to give defenders a bit more firepower.

Solving Invasion's Biggest Issue
We all know what this is, and it happens with 1-sided gametypes all the time. One team will secure a lead or lose their opportunity to win, and people will start quitting come next round. Join in Progress should not be relied on to fix this because nobody wants to join a losing game, so something has to be done to the scoring and objective system. I believe I have a solution:

Invasion is 2 rounds to give both sides a chance to be Spartans or Elites. Changing SvE changes the "invading" part of the mode, so we don't do that. Making it neutral just makes it Invasion Slayer or Neutral Flag and eliminates rounds, so we don't do that either. Instead, we make it time-based and remove "shutouts" entirely.

Both teams have 4 minutes to complete each of the 3 objectives. If you fail to complete it before time is up, your team essentially "forfeits" that phase and is automatically taken to the next objective. Both teams have the opportunity to make it to phase 3, but the team that does it the fastest will win the match.

If Green team completes each Phase in 3 minutes for a total of 9 minutes, then Purple team will have to complete each phase quicker for a total of 8 minutes and 59 seconds or less in order to win. So if you lose each of the phases, you will end the round with 12 minutes. The other team then has to beat you by 11:59 or less in order to win. Your team could lose phase 1 and 2 and still win the match if they complete phase 3 really fast for a combined time shorter than that of the other team.

By making it time-based, players are encouraged to hold out as long as they can when they're losing to prevent the other team from beating their time. Similarly, they have to move as fast as they can to win, which prevents stat padding. If you ignore the objective, you lose the match.

Both teams will have their round time limit visible on the screen at all times.

General Changes
-I'd like to be able to see X's for other fireteams that have died, and their waypoints should be more visible.
-Join in Progress would be a healthy consideration to keep matches from being lopsided
-Parties should match parties and randoms should match randoms.
-PURPLE vs GREEN

Invasion > Domin
at
ion

If only I'd made this post 3 years ago :/

Omni

BC2 Rush on Port Valdez was amazing, never cared too much for Rush in BF3.

Also yeah that only went on for 12 hours lol
BC2 was a better game altogether... Well at least on consoles anyway. Still waiting for that sequel. Can't remember Rush in BC2 all that much.

and :lol. Makes sense

It's still hard to believe that their flag changes actually went through. I've never seen such a goofy CTF mode in a game.
Watch 343i implement flag dropping and classic CTF in Halo 5 and then give themselves a long winded pat on the back in the bulletin about doing so

RIP Stockpile. Wasn't even that good anyway.

Yea that gametype was garbysauce.

Flag has enough variants already. Neuty flag 1 Flag and 2 Flag is more than enough. I like Unlimited Flag Slayer but that needs to go too. Such a dumb way to solve a tie flag game. Program the game so it can have a proper overtime, they keep messing that OT up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Every single new game mode introduced in Reach and 4 has sucked.
Headhunter
Invasion
Stockpile
Regicide
Dominion

Burn them all.

I dont actually mind Extraction but I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist.

Nah, Team Regicide is a blast, and extraction & dominion are fun with a solid team.

The best Invasion maps were new and different experiences for multiplayer. Obligatory shameless self advertisement:

Invasion: Halo Reunion Tour (Formerly Invasion: Silent Cartographer) features a beach landing like the one featured in Silent Cartographer, where upon successfully taking the beachhead will spawn two Warthogs and a Mongoose for use against the Revenant and Wraith. The final battle is a large scale vehicle battle to take down a Covenant Tyrant model AA gun.

Invasion: HALO is loosely based off of the second mission of Halo: Combat Evolved and begins with players pushing up a mountain side and across a bridge to a small Covenant outpost. Upon taking the outpost players are ushered down the moutainside to a large Forerunner tower that they must defend for a period of time, with the attacking players (UNSC) being placed inside of the area being defended by the Covenant. The Covenant must have enough of a constant presence to run down the clock before the UNSC holds it for 40 seconds. At this point the UNSC recovers an artifact and must bring it to a nearby Pelican.

Seeing people create all these maps are why I loved Invasion.

Akai__

Plywood will put me probably on the ignore list for this, but I still haven't watched a single episode of GoT. I should really do this, because people seem to like it very very much.

Also, after 2 weeks not playing Halo 4, it is quite enjoyable to hop on Doubles for example. Almost 2 perfect games. Dat CSR/TrueSkill.

Every single new game mode introduced in Reach and 4 has sucked.
Headhunter
Invasion
Stockpile
Regicide
Dominion

Burn them all.

I dont actually mind Extraction but I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist.
1-plot Extraction and Team Regicide are actually really great. It's too bad Team Objective is still being treated the same way that Bungie has after all this time.

The biggest problem that Invasion suffered from besides shitty maps was/is loadouts, and 343 foolishly thought that eliminating on-map weapons and de-spawning dropped weapons at a stupidly fast rate was somehow the answer to that problem. But then we get gametypes like Dominion, where it's powerweapons for everybody, on top of the loadouts that still don't work right.

Plywood will put me probably on the ignore list for this, but I still haven't watched a single episode of GoT. I should really do this, because people seem to like it very very much.

Also, after 2 weeks not playing Halo 4, it is quite enjoyable to hop on Doubles for example. Almost 2 perfect games. Dat CSR/TrueSkill.

read the books instead.

It's no TWD but it's definitely a great show.

Seeing people create all these maps are why I loved Invasion.

Yeah and just wait until people start putting effort into Dominion maps ;]

I would suggest reading the books first but watching the shows first still isn't a bad option. I'm very picky on my shows and will only watch top quality ones and GoT is the best I've seen in years, so good. You'll enjoy it.

It's no TWD but it's definitely a great show.

nirvana-no.gif

TWD is still a great show but it doesn't touch GoT but I can't tell if you're joking or not also.

edit: dammit, fooled again

whine.gif

yer govak

yeri mai [is next]

I used to think you were cool, you have broken my heart :(

:'[

I don't think there is enough interest for it to be of any relevance. I don't see anyone forging or running customs, and Dominion is so underplayed that it'd be unlikely to see many of them.

Even with just 3 maps, Invasion saw 3,200+ players on average, and I never saw it dip below 1,000. Dominion averages 500-1,500 on a good day from what I've seen.

Population numbers don't mean squat. Team Throwdown is one of the best playlists in the game and it constantly has crappy numbers.

I keep telling myself I will finish the GoT books before watching the show...

I'm half-way through book 1 after 6 months.

Gf read the first three in three weeks, she said the first was the worst one, still good though so I'm sure it'll pick up. Also, if you read the series and then watch the show, don't be that guy who always corrects everything the show did wrong while watching it. It's more annoying than you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom