• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

343 had a perfect chance to go back to awesome Halo. But no we just have to get this weird ass Halo-CoD baby, minus the spectator mode and ranks.

And I hate to play the devil's advocate here, but judging by all the awesome cut content that was found in Halo 4, I'd say the game was severely rushed.

RIP ODST.

what did they cut?

True.

343 had a perfect chance to go back to awesome Halo. But no we just have to get this weird ass Halo-CoD baby, minus the spectator mode and ranks.

And I hate to play the devil's advocate here, but judging by all the awesome cut content that was found in Halo 4, I'd say the game was severely rushed.

RIP ODST.

They had plenty of time to work on the game and plenty of information to realize following Reach vs Halo 3 would cause an uproar. I'd venture to guess most of the content that was cut was because too much time was spent on Ordnance, AAs, Perks, and other things instead.

Most of us thought Halo 4 would be a sequel to Halo 3, not a sequel to a prequel spinoff.
what did they cut?

Falcon
Revenant
Campaign Theater
Weapons (Grenade Launcher, Plasma Launcher, etc.)
Custom Options (Flood options, CTF options, Sprint toggle, etc.)
Assault
Territories
Headhunter
Stockpile
Invasion
Race
1-Flag
Juggernaut and VIP (succeeded by Regicide basically)

Off the top of my head.

DeadNames

Banned
what did they cut?

Actual unique weapons and not gems like the Binary Rifle and the Spectre, to name a few.

Also infection. The sound files are there.

They had plenty of time to work on the game and plenty of information to realize following Reach vs Halo 3 would cause an uproar. I'd venture to guess most of the content that was cut was because too much time was spent on Ordnance, AAs, Perks, and other things instead.

Most of us thought Halo 4 would be a sequel to Halo 3, not a sequel to a prequel spinoff.

Touche.

I seriously hope the bolded isn't true.

Honestly i knew we weren't going to get a sequel to Halo 3 because it seems the whole industry just wants to rely on cod. If you look at pretty much any game you will see it.

Falcon
Revenant
Campaign Theater
Assault
Territories
Headhunter
Stockpile
Invasion
Race
1-Flag

Off the top of my head.

wow the game had potential if some of that made it. Minor hope for Halo 5 maybe, we'll see.

Never got to play it in a LAN setting (aka with more than 4 people.) Never had XBL.

cute-dog-with-an-unique-talent.gif

Sorry to hear that ;'[

Honestly i knew we weren't going to get a sequel to Halo 3 because it seems the whole industry just wants to rely on cod. If you look at pretty much any game you will see it.

That's truly a shame. Years ago, the line between games was very clear and people played what interested them. Then CoD took what made Halo good (ranks, theater, file sharing) and made them better without changing its identity. Halo... well we already know.

I also forgot to mention Firefight - which had more options than any gametype or mode in Halo prior to it - was cut. Spops is a mixed bag, but the lack of offline play, customization, and theater speaks for itself.

DeadNames

Banned
That's truly a shame. Years ago, the line between games was very clear and people played what interested them. CoD took what made Halo good (ranks, theater, file sharing) and made them better without changing its identity. Halo... well we already know.

I also forgot to mention Firefight - which had more options than any gametype or mode in Halo prior to it - was cut. Spops is a mixed bag, but the lack of offline play, customization, and theater speaks for itself.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the bolded is because of disc space. We already had 2 discs and terminals, iirc, were on waypoint because of disc space.

Madness

Eh falcon and revenant would have been death traps in Halo 4 anyway just like every other vehicle with the fact you can get splasers dropped at your feet or PP and stickies from loadout.

But they really messed up not having more vehicles from the original games. I made several posts about why the mantis is perhaps the worst vehicle ever designed for Halo and that is what 343's main contribution to the vehicle sandbox is in Halo 4.

I have hope though for Halo 5. Everything they've done since launch is try and improve the game, nothing has been made worse IMO. I think they're also seeing just how broken loadouts have made the entire sandbox or several playlists.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the bolded is because of disc space. We already had 2 discs and terminals, iirc, were on waypoint because of disc space.

Yea, disc space could explain a lot of things actually, but I think they just wanted to try something new instead of FF this time. Maybe they'll include them both next gen.

"There is no Halo 2 Anniversary Edition"

Like we finished the fight in Halo 3
Like there were no more Halos after Reach
Like CEA didn't exist
Like the Durango didn't exist

Dabid pls

CUT STUFF

Falcon
Revenant
Campaign Theater
Assault
Territories
Headhunter
Stockpile
Invasion
Race
1-Flag

Off the top of my head.

Other MIA:
Campaign scoring
Firefight
In game ranks
BTB objective
Party highlighting during matchmaking
Friends live game score viewable in roster e.g. rather than just time left
Matchmaking filters e.g. manually select strict good connection

Oooh reminds me of the Chief line from Starry Night

Gordon

Remove flinch in Halo 5 too. That stuff is buttcrack.
Even if they do, they'll just find another way to make it harder for decent players.

Maybe they will think about doing some sort of XBLA competitive version of Halo with a trimmed-down version of Halo 4's engine, and run it as a spin-off of the casual title. Doesn't 'feel' very nice, but it could scratch the itch. I mean if it had proper ranked MM, extensive customs options, and a refined forge, they could get $60 a pop for it. I mean kicking and screaming the whole way, but we'd all pay it. They could probably get CA to do it lol

Fotos

sr4 will be a good sendoff for this gen

Hopefully it's not like 3. Saints Row 2 was the best in my opinion because it had all the features to be an insanely fun and addictive game, it just depended on how you used them. In SR3 it seemed like they tried too hard to make it fun and crazy that it didn't really have any features to keep me playing like the first 2 did. I still play SR2 to this day because I have a ton of fun playing it with my friends but SR3 immediately got boring after the campaign. I know it won't happen but I still hope that someday it will go back to the Saints Row 2 style.

Rev3rb

Finally found out how to get the most recent game-data for any player. So I can check the ranks during the game and what they are after for opponents:

So all you have to do is enter your gamertag and it will pull up your most recently completed game (no more input boxes everywhere lol)

Even if they do, they'll just find another way to make it harder for decent players.

Maybe they will think about doing some sort of XBLA competitive version of Halo with a trimmed-down version of Halo 4's engine, and run it as a spin-off of the casual title. Doesn't 'feel' very nice, but it could scratch the itch. I mean if it had proper ranked MM, extensive customs options, and a refined forge, they could get $60 a pop for it. I mean kicking and screaming the whole way, but we'd all pay it. They could probably get CA to do it lol

This is crazy. Theres no reason to split that userbase. You can make a game for casuals and competitive players. You need a ranking system and you need game modes and options.

You also need to not do dumb shit and make Halo mistakes.

Finally found out how to get the most recent game-data for any player. So I can check the ranks during the game and what they are after:

So all you have to do is enter your gamertag and it will pull up your most recently completed game (no more input boxes everywhere lol)

Nice. Your website is pretty cool man. I dig it and use it pretty much daily now. Thanks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Weird, I got a call from "Microsoft" for an interview about game testing (I signed up for it ages ago). I have no idea if it was legit or not; I wasn't asked any personal/weird questions. I did a brief survey, and was told I didn't qualify. Wonder if it was legitimate or not.

Didn't GrizzNKev do something like this awhile back?

Pizza Hit 360 app

Well concurrent users and daily play time are about to go up while AFK'ing to answer the door and eat your pizza will spike intermittently :)

...looking back I had so many good times on 2.

Yep I remember crazy fun like modders and their flying warthog trying to fly-rush the flag on Relic only for you to be waiting in hiding with your lock on rocket. Oh the bitter sweet revenge on modders with that maneuver, bam Triple Kill.

Onikaan

lol. But seriously, Halo 3 is what made me love the Halo franchise. So strange seeing people calling it bad after everyone I know/every Halo community I've been too (Bungie.net/Waypoint) universally agree that Halo 3 was the best.

I find the communal love for 3 strange. I played Halo since the CE days and I couldn't stand Halo 3. The Multiplayer stank. Halo 2 had the best MP in the series. I'm sure nostalgia plays a small part in my decision, but looking back I had so many good times on 2.

In my humble opinion...

(Multiplayer)

Halo2> Halo:Reach> Halo CE> Halo 4> Halo 3

I hated aspects of Reach (Bloom, AA's) but it was so very well polished and lots of fun.

reggie

Banned
lol. But seriously, Halo 3 is what made me love the Halo franchise. So strange seeing people calling it bad after everyone I know/every Halo community I've been too (Bungie.net/Waypoint) universally agree that Halo 3 was the best.

Let me guess, Halo 3 is when you first played online? No suprises. Anyone who played Halo 2 in its prime knows it is the best and always will be.

Mix

Halo Combat Evolved has the best soundtrack/sound design in any Halo game. Hands down, no argument is valid against this.

Hey You

Falcon
Revenant
Campaign Theater
Assault
Territories
Headhunter
Stockpile
Invasion
Race
1-Flag

Off the top of my head.

Fucking eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom