• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
srsly. after an hour or so on reach it's so clear that h4 is a better game. fix the garbage like infinity (which is looks like they're doing, slowly but surely) and it'll be so stinkin' good.

I know but in the end pacers come out on top. Pistola I'm sure is only spammign cause he knows his shots will hit cause hes been in every situation 1000 times from practice. Or you know he knows his team is with him so he can spam a few and back away and let them finish. They really shouldnt be out in the open when they arent shooting so they shouldnt have to pace.

I guess.

Meh it was too random for my tastes especislly when pro halo play used to be about clinical presicion and good movement. Even more important than the skill or reliability aspect though, bloom just wasn't fun.

srsly. after an hour or so on reach it's so clear that h4 is a better game. fix the garbage like infinity (which is looks like they're doing, slowly but surely) and it'll be so stinkin' good.

This is a super bad opinion. Halo 4 has so much more crap in it than Reach.

Reach Problems | 18
-Bloom
-AAs
-Grenukes
-No Bleedthrough/Double Melee
-Sword Block (before TU and still in default)
-Slow Movement
-Low Jump
-Anti Vehicle rifles
-Poor Playlist Management (343 era. RIP Squad Slayer)
-Weak vehicles
-Overpowered Banshee
-Poor maps
-Poor ranking system (lessened with W/L)
-Mutual Kill Window
-Framerate issues
-Emphasis on cR
-Some people would argue motion blur and gritty filters
-No theater party viewing (in favor of Campaign and FF rewind). Bothered some people enough to consider Theater a downgrade.

Halo 4 Problems | 33
-Bloom
-AAs
-Anti Vehicle rifles
-Perks
-Killstreaks
-Instant Respawn
-High Aim Assist and Bullet Magnetism
-Poor UI (One of Reach's best additions - active roster - was downgraded)
-Random Ordnance
-Poor Playlist Management
-Poor Maps
-Missing vehicles
-Missing gametypes (assault, race, 1-flag)
-Missing custom options for sprint, ctf, infection, etc.
-Flinch
-10-12 second weapon despawning
-No weapons on map
-Easy progression system (Inheritor took way longer to reach than SR130)
-Weak Vehicles
-Bad Banshee
-Cluttered HUD and lack of death X's
-Excessive announcements and medals
-Custom Loadouts (as far as boltshot and plasma pistols go)
-Join in Progress (when it isn't working)
-Lag/Lack of search filters
-Lack of Campaign/Spops Theater
-No Spartan Ops customization (compared to the robust options of Reach Firefight that it replaced)
-CSR (most people who care about ranks want it in-game)
-Blindingly high contrast (ragnarok, complex, etc.)
-Bungie.net Stats > Waypoint Stats
-Can't Vote None of the Above; Stuck with 3 bad options all on the same bad map.
-6v2 Multi-Team (after Reach's comfortable 4 teams of 3)
-No theater party viewing

Anyone is welcome to add to either list, but I doubt they'll even out. 343 maybe fixed 5 of Reach's problems and then doubled its issues. Personally, I'd pick Team Armor Lock on Sword Base over Infinity Slayer any day. At least I'd know where the power weapons would be and when they'd be spawning. Being able to enjoy a BR battle again doesn't make the rest of those tolerable for me.

Skip to 3:36 and watch Plywood jetpack super high and sword a dude in air as I dance around on ground dodging shots. Fuck my voice I cant stand it.

More less than 343 improv karaokes at 3:39 and on

vYuZ0dE.png
He lost his sunglasses! Crocorock is all confused without his sunglasses!

Holy shit Reach was so much fun tonight.

So many youngers in here, I had no idea.

I guess it explains why you're all able to post so much though.

I'm still not getting the posting thing since it's normal for me to have plenty of free time. Online college has its perks, though I wish my campus wasn't so far away :(

Striker

Strip away Sprint and AA's and Perks and Halo 4 has great gameplay.
That still leaves a bit of movement acceleration (combined with slow base speed means an awful strafe), jumping based on that movement, flinch, overpowered melee, and stopping power.

And 3 Legged Goat should've added "Lack of death markers" in the problems, because the game shipped without them for no reason (lol specializations) and the "fix" is terrible at best.

Nebula

That still leaves a bit of movement acceleration (combined with slow base speed means an awful strafe), jumping based on that movement, flinch, overpowered melee, and stopping power.

And 3 Legged Goat should've added "Lack of death markers" in the problems, because the game shipped without them for no reason (lol specializations) and the "fix" is terrible at best.

Flinch should have never existed in a Halo game. Shoehorned in because of CoD. Melee has been an issue for ages now, and needs addressing. Stopping power sucks balls, but I understand the reason it was implemented
should have removed sprint instead.
Strafing needs a glorious return.

Reach Problems | 18
-Bloom
-AAs
-Grenukes
-No Bleedthrough/Double Melee
-Sword Block (before TU and still in default)
-Slow Movement
-Low Jump
-Anti Vehicle rifles
-Poor Playlist Management (343 era. RIP Squad Slayer)
-Weak vehicles
-Overpowered Banshee
-Poor maps
-Poor ranking system (lessened with W/L)
-Mutual Kill Window
-Framerate issues
-Emphasis on cR
-Some people would argue motion blur and gritty filters
-No theater party viewing (in favor of Campaign and FF rewind). Bothered some people enough to consider Theater a downgrade.

Halo 4 Problems | 33
-Bloom
-AAs
-Double Melee
-Anti Vehicle rifles
-Perks
-Killstreaks
-Instant Respawn
-High Aim Assist and Bullet Magnetism
-Poor UI (One of Reach's best additions - active roster - was downgraded)
-Random Ordnance
-Poor Playlist Management
-Poor Maps
-Missing vehicles
-Missing gametypes (assault, race, 1-flag)
-Missing custom options for sprint, ctf, infection, etc.
-Flinch
-10-12 second weapon despawning
-No weapons on map
-Easy progression system (Inheritor took way longer to reach than SR130)
-Weak Vehicles
-POS Banshee
-Cluttered HUD and excessive announcements/medals
-Custom Loadouts (as far as boltshot and plasma pistols go)
-Join in Progress (when it isn't working)
-Lag/Lack of search filters
-Lack of Campaign/Spops Theater
-No Spartan Ops customization (compared to the robust options of Reach Firefight that it replaced)
-CSR (most people who care about ranks want it in-game)
-Blindingly high contrast (ragnarok, complex, etc.)
-Bungie.net Stats > Waypoint Stats
-Can't Vote None of the Above; Stuck with 3 bad options all on the same bad map.
-6v2 Multi-Team (after Reach's comfortable 4 teams of 3)
-No theater party viewing

Anyone is welcome to add to either list, but I doubt they'll even out. 343 maybe fixed 5 of Reach's problems and then doubled its issues. Personally, I'd pick Team Armor Lock on Sword Base over Infinity Slayer any day. At least I'd know where the power weapons would be and when they'd be spawning. Being able to enjoy a BR battle again doesn't make the rest of those tolerable for me.

Pretty minor, but double melee was much more an issue in reach than it is in H4.

Also, "Easy progression system"... reaches progression system was awful. H4's isn't much better either, just different.

Havok

Also, "Easy progression system"... reaches progression system was awful. H4's isn't much better either, just different.
They both get it half right. Having a very long-term progression system is actually a good thing, but you need to have a lot of milestones in there, which the last several phases of Reach's progression didn't, and you need to make sure your payouts are tuned for those phases.

Having a sharply accelerated progression track that only lasts a few months for hardcore, dedicated players does a pretty big disservice to a few other systems, as well -- commendations and challenges. Players who hit max rank aren't going to care about either of those things because the rewards that they pay out don't apply to them (some weird armor skins aren't really much of a reward since they are tied to such incredibly long-term commendations for the most part). I paid attention to Reach challenges and commendations throughout its life, but six months out I don't even bother to look at the Halo 4 challenges or commendations. I mean, I get that they had to make it a short progression since they tied gameplay unlocks to it (a tradeoff I absolutely wouldn't have made myself), but at a certain point you're sort of throwing parts of the player retention system under the bus by cutting down on their effective life in the spotlight.

Fuchsdh

They both get it half right. Having a very long-term progression system is actually a good thing, but you need to have a lot of milestones in there, which the last several phases of Reach's progression didn't, and you need to make sure your payouts are tuned for those phases.

Having a sharply accelerated progression track that only lasts a few months for hardcore, dedicated players does a pretty big disservice to a few other systems, as well -- commendations and challenges. Players who hit max rank aren't going to care about either of those things because the rewards that they pay out don't apply to them (some weird armor skins aren't really much of a reward since they are tied to such incredibly long-term commendations for the most part). I paid attention to Reach challenges and commendations throughout its life, but six months out I don't even bother to look at the Halo 4 challenges or commendations. I mean, I get that they had to make it a short progression since they tied gameplay unlocks to it (a tradeoff I absolutely wouldn't have made myself), but at a certain point you're sort of throwing parts of the player retention system under the bus by cutting down on their effective life in the spotlight.

Kind of agree. If they still wanted to have the "make things accessible" to players they should have had weapon unlock one after another or just make you play X games in basic training with all the primary weapons as loadouts to choose from, and maybe *then* you start the progression.

I think overall the cR system worked better for me because it didn't matter what I played, I didn't have to splatter X number of chumps I just had to get my credits in whatever form to spend on what I wanted rather than the mediocre parts of the armory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom