• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I don't go around acting like everyone loves the game, so it's odd to see a majority of HaloGaf talk like it's a matter of fact that Halo 4 is bad.

Easy to observe.

Some good times have been had on 4 lately. BTB parties are the best.
I think you missed the point. The "fact" that is is fun is in fact your opinion

Also, speaking of vehicle ordinance drops, BF3 beat Halo to it.

The difference being that you get access to it if your team controls a specific control point on the map, and the spawn of it is on a fixed timer.

When Halo inevitably does it will be wrapped in randomness for the wheelchair/"fun" factor.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Its a good game, just not a good Halo game. Its not faithful to the rest of the series. Too much CoD and randomness and not enough competitive focus. Also a ton of marketing hiccups.

Hey! This is more like it.

I think you missed the point. The "fact" that is is fun is in fact your opinion

I know, the fact is that some people post their opinion as if it's common knowledge fact. That was my note.

blamite

Halo 4 is good if you don't give a shit, but the second you start trying to care about the things that are happening on the screen it all falls apart. The only time I can really play it at this point is when I'm listening to a podcast or something and I want something mindless to do.

Perhaps the philosophy behind AA's & mods (tactical & support) is to give individualised player choice of play style in place of blanket game mechanics change or requested feature/balances? Think of the loadouts/ordnances as instant individualised game settings rather than a scattershot approach with iterative design to a holistic sandbox or playlist. The sheer volume and diversity in player preferences almost requires such mechanics in modern FPS games to appeal to the wider audience.

After all there is no single Halo, more specifically one playlist or setting, that the community 100% agree is Halo for everybody. So by design AA's & mods enter the fray to cater to you and your play style specifically.

I'm not trying to say keep all of Halo 4, I'm not trying to start a balance argument per se but I wanted to point out that by design there is a very real design level behind AA's/Mods to deliver individualised Halo for each player/style.

Here's a little friendly player blurb to highlight what I mean against each AA/Mod:

TACTICAL
Mobility = I love sprint
Shielding = I want to reengage quickly
Resupply = I want classic
AA efficiency = I love Reach
Grenadier = I love grenade spam
Firepower = Weapon Tactics
Requisition = weapon and map control with teamwork
Wheelman = I hate plasma pistol loadouts
Fast Track = I hate grinding

SUPPORT
Ammo = I love sprees
Dexterity = Multi-kill speedfreak
Sensor = Thinking ahead
Awareness = Intel inbound
Explosives = Bringing back CE nades
Ordnance Priority = I am a solo beast
Stability = I hate flinch
Gunner = I am Jorge
Stealth = Ninja campers
Nemesis = In the name of fun for all
Drop Recon = Weapon and map control

ARMOUR ABILITIES:
Promethean Vision = Hate campers, now you can deal with them.
Thruster Pack = I hate jetpack but want more than just move, strafe and jump
Hologram = I am deceitful
Hardlight Shield = I use armour lock (nerfed)
Auto Sentry = I love a little help & distraction
Jetpack = I love verticality & lines of sight
Active Camo = I love stealth
Regen Field = No I in team

OTHER:
Speed Boost = I'm a flag runner
Damage Boost = Beast mode [ON]
Overshield = I'll take point

When you look at them from this perspective, by design, don't AA's & mods provide real time player choices/changes to the sandbox? Sure it's a meta game but when you look any Halo community forum there is a distinct lack of consensus for any playlist setting. Yes even classic has serious levels of in fighting about its settings.

Again I'm all for the pure Arena, no loadout and "classic" style play but I feel other playlists really benefit individual player choices rather than having to provide feedback and never reaching a consensus approach to playlist/setting management. I think you get what I'm trying to present, thoughts?

The difference being that you get access to it if your team controls a specific control point on the map, and the spawn of it is on a fixed timer.

When Halo inevitably does it will be wrapped in randomness for the wheelchair/"fun" factor.

That was in Reach Invasion. If you control a spot in Slayer you get vehicles sometimes.

Fuchsdh

Its most likely He will get a new armor right?

See, thats the thing that bummed me. That final scene where the Chief takes off his armor, totally defeated... that would have played so much more effectively if he were in his classic Mk VI. The place to give him new armor was Halo 5.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Shields and hipfire are the only things keeping me playing occasionally.

I will also admit that HaloGAF full parties can be pretty fun.

I started my new job today.

Afterwards I went to Walmart and I stood looking at the 3DS games case for a good 5-10 minutes just debating whether or not I should listen to Halo gaf and buy Mario or Icarus or whatever.

Decided not to. I likely will this week at some point. Ugh.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That is literally not what you said

Saying that it seems like people don't realize there are other opinions led to my next post in which I stated that people seem to sometimes superimpose their own opinion as a well-known fact and forget that others may not share it. I know it's an opinion, sometimes others seem to forget that as seen in posts like "people still own Halo 4?" as if we shouldn't own the game.

Anyways, not a big deal. Just something I noticed.

m23

I started my new job today.

Afterwards I went to Walmart and I stood looking at the 3DS games case for a good 5-10 minutes just debating whether or not I should listen to Halo gaf and buy Mario or Icarus or whatever.

Decided not to. I likely will this week at some point. Ugh.

Congratulations on the new job. Way too tough out there to get what we prefer.

Saying that it seems like people don't realize there are other opinions led to my next post in which I stated that people seem to sometimes superimpose their own opinion as a well-known fact and forget that others may not share it. I know it's an opinion, sometimes others seem to forget that as seen in posts like "people still own Halo 4?" as if we shouldn't own the game.

Anyways, not a big deal. Just something I noticed.
you literally said "the fact that it's fun." not "the fact that some people find it fun." you called people out for stating their opinion as fact while you did the same thing. I'm sorry if you don't see it but I find that to be amusing.

Halo 4 is still a good game.

I just rarely get on because no one plays it, and it's no fun to play alone.

Same reason I don't get on as much lol. I can't play any Halo games alone after 2 because of how boring the gameplay has become for an individual unit. Not to mention, the quality of maps took a substantial hit after Halo 2..

See, thats the thing that bummed me. That final scene where the Chief takes off his armor, totally defeated... that would have played so much more effectively if he were in his classic Mk VI. The place to give him new armor was Halo 5.

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... So many missed opportunities and wtf's ;'[

m23

Thanks man. It's just a summer job but at least it's something.

Hopefully I'll be able to save enough money to go to school next semester. That's the goal.

Yeah true. Good luck bro.

I just rarely get on because no one plays it, and it's no fun to play alone.

That's true for any multiplayer game for me. I don't get a multiplayer focused game unless I know at least a few of my friends will be playing it. That goes for Halo as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
you literally said "the fact that it's fun." not "the fact that some people find it fun." you called people out for stating their opinion as fact while you did the same thing. I'm sorry if you don't see it but I find that to be amusing.

Indeed I did, that was me coming back at him with a reply in similar style. Apologies if it was confusing, it was meant to be snarky which is hard to convey over text. You have to fight fire with fire here, which I did. I followed that up with my actual observation. A bit confusing, maybe, but who really cares I guess.

Anyways, yeah.

Fuchsdh

Same reason I don't get on as much lol. I can't play any Halo games alone after 2 because of how boring the gameplay has become for an individual unit. Not to mention, the quality of maps took a substantial hit after Halo 2..

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... So many missed opportunities and wtf's ;'[

Pretty much, which sucks, but really it's just Halo 2 all over again. They plain bit off more then they could chew. Doesn't mean it's not a good game, but it's just a damn shame when it's even in the damn code how much better it could have been.

That was in Reach Invasion. If you control a spot in Slayer you get vehicles sometimes.

Skirmish invasion I think, it was added post launch.

It could had more impact yes, saying goodbye to Bungie and embrace 343i leadership.

Its a good game, just not a good Halo game. Its not faithful to the rest of the series. Too much CoD and randomness and not enough competitive focus. Also a ton of marketing hiccups.

Great comment.

I've been getting back into this game. CSR is a nice addition. Very curious to see what they have to add going forward.

I don't think CSR will ever improve significantly from what it is now. It does bring high hopes for a fully functional ranking system for Halo 5 though.

edit: accidental post title

OT but this looks fun. Oculus Rift + TF2

Indeed I did, that was me coming back at him with a reply in similar style. Apologies if it was confusing, it was meant to be snarky which is hard to convey over text. You have to fight fire with fire here, which I did. I followed that up with my actual observation. A bit confusing, maybe, but who really cares I guess.

Anyways, yeah.

Dude, you're fighting with fire against someone who gives no fires.

-EDIT-

But seriously, what is Halo anyway? Each game in some aspect got worse
or "different" depending on perspective.. I guess..
from release to release. The same argument people make about Halo 4 not being Halo because of loadouts and the CoD feel can be made elsewhere like Halo 1 to Halo 2 drastically changing just about everything. Halo 2 to Halo 3 how incredibly slow and inconsistent the gameplay felt, how they changed objective games for the worst.. the list goes on that many people have said "this isn't Halo" throughout the years.

So basically, Halo 4 is no more or less Halo than the games before it, but one thing's for sure: Yall mofuckaz crazee fo thinkin Reach > 4

IHaveIce

Banned
I can say I think Halo 4 is a "bad" Halo game(it would be easy to fix though, the good core gameplay is there), but still can say I have lots of fun with it in big parties, these are not contradicting, I also have lots of fun with other games, do I want their stuff in Halo? Most of the time not.

But yeah playing in parties and groups is great, is it infinity slayer of big team, it is quite funny.

Korosenai

Halo 4 is good if you don't give a shit, but the second you start trying to care about the things that are happening on the screen it all falls apart. The only time I can really play it at this point is when I'm listening to a podcast or something and I want something mindless to do.
This is actually very accurate.

Great comment.

I don't think CSR will ever improve significantly from what it is now. It does bring high hopes for a fully functional ranking system for Halo 5 though.

edit: accidental post title

I didn't mean things they'll add to CSR. I meant things they'll add to Halo 4. The gun tweaks and stuff.

Pop

I can say I think Halo 4 is a "bad" Halo game(it would be easy to fix though, the good core gameplay is there), but still can say I have lots of fun with it in big parties, these are not contradicting, I also have lots of fun with other games, do I want their stuff in Halo? Most of the time not.

But yeah playing in parties and groups is great, is it infinity slayer of big team, it is quite funny.

Infinity is here to stay, which is sad for halo. I just wish they would bring the H3 style playlist format back for H5. In game ranks, balanced gameplay in more then just one playlist. Get rid of the laggy menu and does every gametype really need it's own playlist.

Just a few examples.

Tawpgun

OT but this looks fun. Oculus Rift + TF2

Dude, you're fighting with fire against someone who gives no fires.

-EDIT-

But seriously, what is Halo anyway? Each game in some aspect got worse
or "different" depending on perspective.. I guess..
from release to release. The same argument people make about Halo 4 not being Halo because of loadouts and the CoD feel can be made elsewhere like Halo 1 to Halo 2 drastically changing just about everything. Halo 2 to Halo 3 how incredibly slow and inconsistent the gameplay felt, how they changed objective games for the worst.. the list goes on that many people have said "this isn't Halo" throughout the years.

So basically, Halo 4 is no more or less Halo than the games before it, but one thing's for sure: Yall mofuckaz crazee fo thinkin Reach > 4

I'll give you Halo 1 to Halo 2. That was fairly drastic in terms of player traits. But you still had a utility weapon. You got a new dual wielding mechanic. It felt different. Movement was better.

Halo 2-3 was just introducing equipment, slowing the player down, and non-histscan.

Halo Reach gave players the ability to spawn with different abilities. For the first time, people can choose advantages in the menu's rather than fighting. Movement got slowed again. And bloom killed precision weapon combat.

Halo 4 gives players more choices IN THE MENU's. Turns into a rock paper scissor mess of advantages you can pick. Random weapons. Ordnance. At least the speed got better but man. This is really where Halo steered off course. Reach was out of its lane, but Halo 4 is heading toward the exit ramp.

what is Halo anyway?

EDIT: Eh, too much text for tonight. I'd be a purist, so I'd say most gameplay changes after CE have dumbed it down. It's gotten worse with each installation.

Screw fall damage and health packs. I hated them.

I didn't like how a single sniper bullet would kill you at low health even if you still had shields. They could have been implemented better.

I wanna forget that they were the ones who started this mess.

Two guys walk into a room one guy kills the other but it doesnt really matter because that guy that died already respawned and finished you off. Thats Halo!

Spawnling

I see the future of Halo. Remembering this image.
5gWXO.jpg

Madness

I wonder how much better the game would be without any loadouts at all that can be customized.

Imagine Infinity BTB on Ragnarok but it's BR/Magnum starts. Static spawn weapons, but there is personal ordnance. Now the randomness comes into play here and it's frustrating when you get a needler and the other guy gets a binary rifle, but I don't think it would be as bad.

I think the reason I like swat, flood, binary slayer, throwdown and doubles so much, is the increased emphasis on player skill on the battlefield as opposed to the menu.

Now granted armor lock really fucked things in up in Reach, but imagine how much better 4 would play if you didn't have to micromanage each perk etc. You all got the same weapons, maybe armor ability would be different.

I think the reason I hate infinity and loadouts so much is that it adds too much variability and it works in CoD not Halo.

So many matches are broken because people wait till they die and then spawn a sniper with their camo perk, or wait till they die and pick the loadout with the ammo perk that gives them like double the shots etc.

I don't know, I like the map dictating the battle. The weapons on map, or the ones you start with. You shouldn't pick and choose what you want to use because it's essentially rock paper scissors. You'll beat some guy, and then get beat yourself by another guy. Rinse, repeat. It's like pokemon, you pick water, beat the fire type, lose to the grass type.

Ugh i was trying to get a service record of a guy before a game and my dpad pooped on me so i pressed a on "invite to party" rather than "service record".

Quick cut to: incoming friend request, two voice messages, two text messages. Oops.

Fuchsdh

Ugh i was trying to get a service record of a guy before a game and my dpad pooped on me so i pressed a on "invite to party" rather than "service record".

Quick cut to: incoming friend request, two voice messages, two text messages. Oops.

I do that waay too often as well, which always makes me feel a little better when I ignore requests from Joe Random I just played--I imagine they made a similar mistake.

Reminds me of one night when we were BTB rolling, some random dude on the other team after the game was all "HALOGAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and everyone got a FR/msg.

Booshka

Block Communications, act like it never happened.

I do that waay too often as well, which always makes me feel a little better when I ignore requests from Joe Random I just played--I imagine they made a similar mistake.

This makes sense. I never thought of that.

Reminds me of one night when we were BTB rolling, some random dude on the other team after the game was all "HALOGAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and everyone got a FR/msg.

Haha. So did you guys figure out if he actually posts here or not?

Block Communications, act like it never happened.

This is what i did. Made the most sense.

Also, im now in a game with two guys who talk about buying bulk silver on eBay and stockpiling it in their basements.

The people of Halo.

Edit: i played three games of swat. I went even, negative, negative by a combined -3. Calling it a night already. Oh well. I got byh daily challenges done at least.

Wake me... when it's bidirectionally interactive, and not a purely GPU-side simultation.

Holy crap, that image?

Optimistic 2011 version:

Weren't the fish tank and the wall compression sequences bidirectionally interactive? Correct me if I'm wrong but that water flow interacts in a number of flow directions (not just two main flows), that's what you're getting at yes? Isn't that irrelevant to a simulation in 3D over say 2D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom