• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plz leave.

Stop bullying me. :(

You want the game to be better, but you don't want to support people and tournaments that can show how the game can be altered to play better. Flawless logic.

Stay in school.
I want the game to get better, and me supporting competitive tournaments and the people who run them is a double edged sword. It's a gamble. I support them trying to make a casual game competitive, and in turn, I support them supporting 343 making the game with casuals in mind. I gamble that 343 HOPEFULLY sees the immense support competitive gaming is getting in Halo 4, and thinks "Wow! Look at all the support competitive gaming is giving Halo 4! We should develop Halo 5 with them in mind!" instead of them seeing it as "Wow! Look at all the support competitive gaming is giving Halo 4! We can make Halo 5 for casuals and just give a few custom options to make the game slightly more competitive, and they'll be happy again! Just like they were with Halo:Reach and Halo 4!"

I don't trust them to have the first mindset, after they already had the second mindset twice (during Reach and Halo 4)

(also, I'm at school right now :p)
But Halo 4 can work very well competitively. If no one played the game, would 343 bother updating it so that weapons can be tweaked on a per weapon basis? Would the likes of Bravo and Quinn been hired to support the community that doesn't exist? Would CSR have made it in to this game at all if it were not for the very passionate people that you know, actually want this game to succeed at least in their own minds?

Yeah, it's 2013, and the devs should be a little smarter in terms of the backend hooks they leave themselves to tweak glaring issues that arise upon launch. Let me ask you this. Do you think the lack of a beta influenced the mediocre feeling many people have with this game?
But who caves? Does 343 fold and focus on appeasing the competitive crowd, or do we fold and be happy with whatever lack luster features 343 gives us?

Even with 343 trying to please the competitive scene, it's still not trying to please them in reality. CSR? It doesn't even work right, no one wanted a ranking system like CSR, they made a ranking system because competitive players wanted it, and then dumbed it down for those who might be okay with a ranking system, and also made it Waypoint only so those we DON'T want a ranking system don't have to have it.

Weapon tweaks? They tried to make competitive players happy, but like CSR, didn't really have us in mind. DMR Nerf? Nope! We'll make the BR a 4 shot and weaken it's rate of fire! There casual players, please keep your baby mode DMR that's easy to fire, easy to aim, and easy to kill with, while we give BR users what they want, but still lower it's rate of fire, and most likely still give them the short end of the stick. Boltshot nerf? Yeah competitive players... we understand a weapon like the Boltshot shouldn't even exist... but... we'll weaken it's range like 25%, it'll still be over-powered and easy close range kills for noobs, but hey! We tried! Oh! Camo nerf as well? Well... it helps uncompetitive gamers, and we know it doesn't fit in a competitive environment as an Armor Ability...
we'll nerf it by making you visible when you shoot! Doesn't fix the problem, but it's something!
Forge Island was just good. No complaints there. I respect and am thankful that 343 gave us that when they didn't have too (although, it really should have been there at a launch, but whatever, better late than ever.) Thank you 343.

Your Beta question... to be honest, I think the real reason 343 didn't give us a beta is because they didn't want us/the Halo fanbase to have a feel for the game. They were probably scarred most people would hate what they played, and not buy the game. That's also my theory of why the game was pretty much hidden multiplayer wise, and most of the info on AA, Bloom, Ordinances, Perks, etc, were late leaks, and they even showed gameplay that didn't have it (BR battle on Haven).

I think the Beta wouldn't have changed much, aside from MAYBE a DMR nerf or Boltshot nerf/removal at launch, but even then, I'm not sure, since 343 seems pretty dead against a DMR nerf right now.

Fotos

Random but I just thought of an amazing idea.

Flood infection game type in ODST's New Mombasa.

-Better Flood models
-32 Players
-Completely dark and have VISR
-Could have objectives like go to this area across the map and get a power weapon
-Flood have access to rooftops

If this was done right I would play it forever.

Halo 2 Aniverrsary
Halo: ODST 2
Halo Trilogy
Halo Reach 2
Halo F2P
Halo Wars 2
Halo 5

Take your pick.

Please please please please please please please

But who caves? Does 343 fold and focus on appeasing the competitive crowd, or do we fold and be happy with whatever lack luster features 343 gives us?

Even with 343 trying to please the competitive scene, it's still not trying to please them in reality. CSR? It doesn't even work right, no one wanted a ranking system like CSR, they made a ranking system because competitive players wanted it, and then dumbed it down for those who might be okay with a ranking system, and also made it Waypoint only so those we DON'T want a ranking system don't have to have it.

Weapon tweaks? They tried to make competitive players happy, but like CSR, didn't really have us in mind. DMR Nerf? Nope! We'll make the BR a 4 shot and weaken it's rate of fire! There casual players, please keep your baby mode DMR that's easy to fire, easy to aim, and easy to kill with, while we give BR users what they want, but still lower it's rate of fire, and most likely still give them the short end of the stick. Boltshot nerf? Yeah competitive players... we understand a weapon like the Boltshot shouldn't even exist... but... we'll weaken it's range like 25%, it'll still be over-powered and easy close range kills for noobs, but hey! We tried! Oh! Camo nerf as well? Well... it helps uncompetitive gamers, and we know it doesn't fit in a competitive environment as an Armor Ability...
we'll nerf it by making you visible when you shoot! Doesn't fix the problem, but it's something!
Forge Island was just good. No complaints there. I respect and am thankful that 343 gave us that when they didn't have too (although, it really should have been there at a launch, but whatever, better late than ever.) Thank you 343.

Your Beta question... to be honest, I think the real reason 343 didn't give us a beta is because they didn't want us/the Halo fanbase to have a feel for the game. They were probably scarred most people would hate what they played, and not buy the game. That's also my theory of why the game was pretty much hidden multiplayer wise, and most of the info on AA, Bloom, Ordinances, Perks, etc, were late leaks, and they even showed gameplay that didn't have it (BR battle on Haven).

I think the Beta wouldn't have changed much, aside from MAYBE a DMR nerf or Boltshot nerf/removal at launch, but even then, I'm not sure, since 343 seems pretty dead against a DMR nerf right now.

Wow. No one wanted a 1-50 ranking system similar to Halo 3? Ok, no. A lot of people wanted it. They didn't put it in game because, as easy as it is to paste the rank icons on to the Halo 4 UI, actually doing that in game is not something they can so easily do. Having the ranks online seemed to be the best compromise (especially with quickcsr.com).

Your reasoning for the lack of a beta is super naive. They didn't want us to get a feel for the game? How about no. You look at the launched game and Halo fans can easily tell there were some serious cuts made to the scope of the game. They were pushed for time as it is. A beta would not hae been feasible.

I'm sure it will be great by modern day FPS standards. More customization in loadouts, more redundant guns, a little more aim assist, vehicle ordnance drops in BTB, and more!

But I don't think it will be a good halo game, and that's okay because I'll have Destiny. I do wish 343 could offer me a game I would enjoy, as opposed to a game where I'm just kinda shoehorned in one playlist.

If you think destiny is going to be a good halo game you're kidding yourself.

Gui_PT

tumblr_mk6s3dzjLf1qbdynmo1_400.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
Why are people supporting the UMG Halo 4 tournament or whatever.

The fanbase needs to stop. Let Halo 4 die a death (which pretty much already happened) it deserves. My craving for wanting Halo to make a comeback to the competitive scene is killed by my hatred of Halo 4.
Shut up seriously

WOw wait a new COD is announced, nice

Fotos

Why are people supporting the UMG Halo 4 tournament or whatever.

The fanbase needs to stop. Let Halo 4 die a death (which pretty much already happened) it deserves. My craving for wanting Halo to make a comeback to the competitive scene is killed by my hatred of Halo 4.

Woah. It's just a game bro.

Official press release from 343 and Microsoft.

"343 brings their Certain Affinity collaboration to new heights with Halo 4 Ultimate Edition"

"Halo 4 had an astounding launch last fall outselling its predecessors and pushing over 4 million units during its first weeks in retail. For the first time, a Halo title launched with a season pass that granted players access to 12 multiplayer maps spanning 3 map packs. 343 is very proud of their collaboration with Certain Affinity. In 2011, Certain Affinity assisted 343 in creating the Halo Anniversary multiplayer experience. The collaboration brought forth a fresh view on Halo 1's multiplayer. The team recreated the Halo 1 experience in the Reach engine, and brought with it a mappack of all time favorites.

Today, 343 announces Halo 4 Ultimate Edition. This complete edition includes all Halo 4 DLC releasd to date, including maps, armor skins, emblems, etc. But that's not all.

Once again, 343 and Certain Affinity will bring a classic Halo game back to life; Halo 2. 343 has been meticulously tuning their Halo 4 engine to fit the gameplay needs that the Halo 2 multiplayer experience requires. Certain Affinity will bring the classic Halo 2 multiplayer maps back to life."

Kevin Franklin had this to say, "We are extremely excited for the release of Halo 4 Ultimate Edition. We can expose a whole new generation of gamers to the Halo 2 multiplayer experience, without the accessibility issues found back then. We feel that gamers are going to love how Infinity transforms these classic maps into something new."

Release date September 17th, 2013. Preorder now and receive the exclusive in game Mark V armor.

I'd buy

Official press release from 343 and Microsoft.

"343 brings their Certain Affinity collaboration to new heights with Halo 4 Ultimate Edition"

"Halo 4 had an astounding launch last fall outselling its predecessors and pushing over 4 million units during its first weeks in retail. For the first time, a Halo title launched with a season pass that granted players access to 12 multiplayer maps spanning 3 map packs. 343 is very proud of their collaboration with Certain Affinity. In 2011, Certain Affinity assisted 343 in creating the Halo Anniversary multiplayer experience. The collaboration brought forth a fresh view on Halo 1's multiplayer. The team recreated the Halo 1 experience within the Reach engine. Certain Affinity aided by supplying fans with a mappack of all time favorites.

Today, 343 announces Halo 4 Ultimate Edition. This complete edition includes all Halo 4 DLC releasd to date, including maps, armor skins, emblems, etc. But that's not all.

Once again, 343 and Certain Affinity will bring a classic Halo game back to life; Halo 2. 343 has been meticulously tuning their Halo 4 engine to fit the gameplay needs that the Halo 2 multiplayer experience requires. Certain Affinity will bring the classic Halo 2 multiplayer maps back to life."

Kevin Franklin had this to say, "We are extremely excited for the release of Halo 4 Ultimate Edition. We can expose a whole new generation of gamers to the Halo 2 multiplayer experience, without the accessibility issues found back then. We feel that gamers are going to love how Infinity transforms these classic maps into something new."

Release date September 17th, 2013. Preorder now and receive the exclusive in game Mark V armor.

malfcn

I am asking the morning HaloGAF crew - I'd love to get your feedback. I got some valuable feedback last night, but would love some more!

So I don't know if many of you know, but I build and paint models, specifically mecha. I have been commissioned to re-paint the 12 inch Halo 4 Master Chief figure. My client wants custom fatiguing and I would like to ask for GAF's assistance and opinion. I have been told to do whatever I want with it, so long as it isn't a 'stock' paint job - he wants weathering and the whole bit.

Here is the figure:

ba60e7b5-b684-400d-ba6a-6a6bcc9752cd_zps55d6dcf9.jpg

Awesome figure.
If there can't be rust, can there be corrosion from acidic environments or exposure?

But...but you have terrible ideas and we want to cleanse halogaf of them.
Sorry, just sharing my opinions and thoughts. Didn't think I'd anger anyone on GAF, I'll be quiet now.
Shut up seriously
That's pretty rude bro, just sharing my thoughts on the community supporting the competitive scene. At least I explained myself later than just said that. :/ I'd rather you explain why you have an issue with what I said than just "Shut up seriously."

Wow. No one wanted a 1-50 ranking system similar to Halo 3? Ok, no. A lot of people wanted it. They didn't put it in game because, as easy as it is to paste the rank icons on to the Halo 4 UI, actually doing that in game is not something they can so easily do. Having the ranks online seemed to be the best compromise (especially with quickcsr.com).

Your reasoning for the lack of a beta is super naive. They didn't want us to get a feel for the game? How about no. You look at the launched game and Halo fans can easily tell there were some serious cuts made to the scope of the game. They were pushed for time as it is. A beta would not hae been feasible.
I don't think CSR works like Halo 3 at all to be honest. Don't see how, is it because it's 1-50, and based on Wins/Score, like any Ranking System would be? CSR is way too easy and fast, and doesn't match you up with people of your skill level.

Also, yeah, my theory, and it doesn't make sense, but it's what I think.

Anyways, I'll be quiet now, like I promised Tawp. Sorry if I made anyone mad or offended anyone.

Also, the "Stop bullying me :(" line was a joke. Hope no one took it serious lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry, just sharing my opinions and thoughts. Didn't think I'd anger anyone on GAF, I'll be quiet now.

That's pretty rude bro, just sharing my thoughts on the community supporting the competitive scene. At least I explained myself later than just said that. :/ I'd rather you explain why you have an issue with what I said than just "Shut up seriously."

I don't think CSR works like Halo 3 at all to be honest. Don't see how, is it because it's 1-50, and based on Wins/Score, like any Ranking System would be? CSR is way too easy and fast, and doesn't match you up with people of your skill level.

Also, yeah, my theory, and it doesn't make sense, but it's what I think.

Anyways, I'll be quiet now, like I promised Tawp. Sorry if I made anyone mad or offended anyone.
Dude you suggested a community that have fun competing and playing at tournament should just stop because you dislike the game.

Competive Halo 4 works pretty well and every event we get should be supported because we don't have MLG anymore or other big names.

Stopping to support these tourneys wouldn't change a damn thing about Halo 4 or your issues it would just let the competive scene die even faster.
If you don't want to support Halo 4 because you think 343 fucked up then stop buying Halo products and dlcs, but hating these events doesn't harm 343 or Halo 4 it harms the community.

And I'm by no means a defender of Halo 4.

If you think destiny is going to be a good halo game you're kidding yourself.

His post said
but I don't think it will be a good halo game, and that's okay because I'll have Destiny.

He's not saying Destiny will be a good halo game, but he doesn't care if Halo 5 is a good halo game because he'll have Destiny.

I don't think anyone expects a "halo" game out of Destiny. I'm expecting an amazing new experience, and I'm sure I'll get it.

I wonder, since Destiny is pretty campaign based, how long the Single Player is, taking account side-quests and such. Wonder if the "arena" section offering competitive multiplayer in Destiny will be enough (I mean content wise) to keep me from ever taking Destiny out my disc tray, like Halo 3/Halo:Reach/Halo 4 almost never leave my disc tray.

I really can't wait for Destiny, going to be so worth it when it finally releases. I really hope Bungie makes an amazing game, I have faith that they will.

Dude you suggested a community that have fun competing and playing at tournament should just stop because you dislike the game.

Competive Halo 4 works pretty well and every event we get should be supported because we don't have MLG anymore or other big names.

Stopping to support these tourneys wouldn't change a damn thing about Halo 4 or your issues it would just let the competive scene die even faster.
If you don't want to support Halo 4 because you think 343 fucked up then stop buying Halo products and dlcs, but hating these events doesn't harm 343 or Halo 4 it harms the community.

And I'm by no means a defender of Halo 4.

Alright, I see why my post frustrated you. I did come off as rather harsh and idiotic with my "just stop supporting them" attitude. I wasn't trying to hate on UMG, and I'm happy someone is picking up Halo 4 in the competitive scene, after 343 abandoned MLG (MLG abandoned 343? What did the community decide on? Is it 343's fault because they signed a contract with Virgin Gaming?) like I said in my post, I really do want Halo to return to the competitive scene, but I'm conflicted because it bothers me that the community are the ones who have to make the game competitive. 343 just gave us tools and said go at it. Which is fine, better than getting nothing. I'm just frustrated that the competitive community was moved aside for Halo:Reach and Halo 4.

and Halo 4 DOES work competitively, Team Throwdown all BRs is freaking amazing. Probably the best thing in this game.

Sorry for how bad my last post came off, I can see why it got backlash. What I was trying to say basically, is I don't get why the Competitive community still supports 343 after 343 sort of abandoned them (sort of, very loose, they still gave them the tools to make the game competitive, and I guess they promote these tournaments, when I say abandon, I mean not develop the game for them). I wish there was a way for me to Support the competitive community/UMG without supporting 343/Halo 4, because that's what I want to do, but I don't see how. I really just wish Halo 5 is developed with the Competitive Community in mind, and not second thought.

I tried my best to word this post better, and not make it come off as angry and hostile.

IHaveIce

Banned
Alright, I see why my post frustrated you. I did come off as rather harsh and idiotic with my "just stop supporting them" attitude. I wasn't trying to hate on UMG, and I'm happy someone is picking up Halo 4 in the competitive scene, after 343 abandoned MLG (MLG abandoned 343? What did the community decide on? Is it 343's fault because they signed a contract with Virgin Gaming?) like I said in my post, I really do want Halo to return to the competitive scene, but I'm conflicted because it bothers me that the community are the ones who have to make the game competitive. 343 just gave us tools and said go at it. Which is fine, better than getting nothing. I'm just frustrated that the competitive community was moved aside for Halo:Reach and Halo 4.

and Halo 4 DOES work competitively, Team Throwdown all BRs is freaking amazing. Probably the best thing in this game.

Sorry for how bad my last post came off, I can see why it got backlash. What I was trying to say basically, is I don't get why the Competitive community still supports 343 after 343 sort of abandoned them (sort of, very loose, they still gave them the tools to make the game competitive, and I guess they promote these tournaments, when I say abandon, I mean not develop the game for them). I wish there was a way for me to Support the competitive community/UMG without supporting 343/Halo 4, because that's what I want to do, but I don't see how. I really just wish Halo 5 is developed with the Competitive Community in mind, and not second thought.

I tried my best to word this post better, and not make it come off as angry and hostile.
Yeah got you. And of course I understand you I also whish Halo 5 would be more designed with the competive crowd in mind.

And why they still support them? Easy they take what they get.

No hate bro<3 let us just hope for a Halo 2 with MP for the nextbox and everything is fine

HGS beats me so I take it out on Speedy

HaloGAF Society?

So is HGS actually a thing or just a joke or what?

Yeah got you. And of course I understand you I also whish Halo 5 would be more designed with the competive crowd in mind.

And why they still support them? Easy they take what they get.

No hate bro<3 let us just hope for a Halo 2 with MP for the nextbox and everything is fine

Still need to try and set up Xbox Connect so I can play Halo 2 on Xbox, might try and buy Halo 2 PC if Bestbuy sells it.

I honestly can't see how Halo 2 Anniversary won't have it's own Multiplayer intact. Halo 4 is a Xbox 360 title, and if Halo 2 Anniversary is a NextBox game, I can't see them making it a map-pack for Halo 4. Just imagine how good Halo 2 will feel and look on the Nextbox. 1080p and 60 frames <3 (I'd be fine with 720p and 60 frames, whatever resolution to be honest, I just want 60 frames)

I wonder how different Halo 3/4 would feel if they ran at 60 frames.

Maybe they will start making MW's spin offs.

They need to bring back that 3, 5, 7 killstreak. No more predator, chopper/ac30, nuke bs. It should be UAV/Counter UAV, Precision Airstike/ hailstorm missile, AI chopper/AI APC. All are available to everyone, selected when earned via left or right on dpad.

brb selling my Xbox.

I'll probably sell my Xbox 360 so I can afford both the Nextbox and PS4. My minimum wage part time job that's pulling me 10-20 hours a week won't cut it in time for both.

When do you reckon I'll get more for my Xbox 360 upon trade-in, before the NextBox is revealed? I imagine the value for it will go straight down when the Nextbox is officially unveiled. I probably won't sell it anyways, need something to play Halo on while I wait for the Nextbox.

Forza 5 at launch and we are a go! Please Microsoft <3

brb selling my Xbox.

I'll probably sell my Xbox 360 so I can afford both the Nextbox and PS4. My minimum wage part time job that's pulling me 10-20 hours a week won't cut it in time for both.

When do you reckon I'll get more for my Xbox 360 upon trade-in, before the NextBox is revealed? I imagine the value for it will go straight down when the Nextbox is officially unveiled. I probably won't sell it anyways, need something to play Halo on while I wait for the Nextbox.

Forza 5 at launch and we are a go! Please Microsoft <3

Unless there is guaranteed full BC, I wouldn't sell.

And PGR5>Forza 5

Unless there is guaranteed full BC, I wouldn't sell.

And PGR5>Forza 5

Is PGR5 a rumored launch title? I'd be fine with either. Or both. Jesus that Racing goodness. It'll be heaven <3

Halo 2 Anniversary, with a PGR5 or Forza 5 at launch, and Microsoft just officially won NextGen (for me) for the first year or two. It'd literally be all I could ask for at launch.

I really hope I get GoogleFiber before the NextXbox launches. It'll be an amazing experience.

Damn, that's fairly close to E3..
They planned it that way. Microsoft will unveil the hardware on May 21st and showcase the majority of the game line up at E3:

On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

IHaveIce

Banned
Man I really thought because of the (bad) rumours the nextbox announcement wouldn't make me that hyped, but damn I am.

ALso the reveal for the 360 was also very close to E3.

And speedy, try to get xbox connect running if you live in the US, the Halo vista pc port looks good but has it own issues. Not the best pc port IMO

Wait.

The #XboxReveal is on a Tuesday, during 10:00 AM PT. School hours for most kids, and work hours for some adults.

wut. Why Would you do this Microsoft?

Is it pathetic of me that I'm already planning to tell my parents that I'm not going to school that day, and I'm going to call my boss and tell him I'm taking that day off?

PS4 reveal didn't capture my full interest.
Now if they demoed God of War or Uncharted then maybe.

Next-Xbox may likely steal the attention now. Just don't reveal a lame Kinetic 2 demo that'll bore, put to sleep, or cringe peoples expectations (including Always-Online rumors) than they'll win over Sony for next-gen. Not that im stating over consoles ability, but more on how both will win through big corps strategies.
Harry is MS & Peter is Sony.

Is it pathetic of me that I'm already planning of telling my parents that I'm not going to school that day, and I'm going to call my boss and tell him I'm taking that day off?
Yes. It is pathetic.

btw. Time is great for big revels, because the whole world would be still awake and can follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom