• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Merguson don't leave us post moooore

You're old halogaf, give us your opinion on the new members! Even if you consider me new!

Sugar and Alcohol is a terrible combo. Avoid!. FML.

GoT rocks. FraNkie needs to post more. I miss the old gaurd (wu, ghaleon ect(

Thread is full of people I don't know. Relic is bad

PAX Prime 2013 preview

vSpWzMD.gif

Mix

fairly off topic, but my beautiful girlfriend got her meningitis shot that is required for the college we'll be attending this fall and she got this band-aid. It reminded me of you salty bugs obsessed people:

u4iX

Okay, so here's wassup.

This weekending I'm gonna be hosting the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo.

http://www.c2e2.com

Sick.

I'll be doing interviews and walkthroughs throughout the weekend during their live stream, which will be broadcast on Twitch TV starting around 11:00 AM CT Friday.

I wanted to give you guys a chance to ask any questions you might have to the guests I'll be talking to, since I know there's interest in shows like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and other pop culture and entertainment topics and whatever.

Here's a list of guest I'll be talking to, so feel free to submit any questions you might have in this thread or send them to me in an @ message on twitter. https://twitter.com/u4iXXX

Guests:
  • James Cosmo (Mormont from Game of Thrones)
  • Jason David Frank (Green/White Ranger from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
  • Janina Gavankar (Shiva from The League)
  • Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
  • Adam West (Batman from Batman and Adam West from Family Guy)
  • Burt Ward (Robin from Batman)
  • Bruce Boxleitner (TRON, TRON Legacy, Babylon 5)
  • Mira Furlan (Babylon 5)
  • Felicia Day (The Guild, Geek and Sundry)
  • Peter Davidson (Doctor Who from Doctor Who)
  • Israel Idonije (Defensive End for the Chicago Bears)
  • Sam Huntington (Being Human, Superman Returns)
  • Alex Ross (Painted the Marvel series, Kingdom Come, and Uncle Sam)
  • Audrey Niffenegger (Author of The Time Traveler's Wife, The Night Bookmobile, and Raven Girl)
  • Ron Perlman (Hellboy, Son's of Anarchy, Pacific Rim)
  • Julie Newmar (Catwoman in Batman)
  • Laurie Holden (Andrea from The Walking Dead)
  • Chandler Riggs (Carl from The Walking Dead)
  • Chad Coleman (Tyreese from The Walking Dead)
  • Patton Oswalt (Stand Up Comic)
  • Brad Bell (Husbands)
  • Jane Espensen (Husbands)
  • R.L. Stine (Author of Goosebumps)
  • Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones)

Ask away, yo!

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Stop bullying me. :(

I want the game to get better, and me supporting competitive tournaments and the people who run them is a double edged sword. It's a gamble. I support them trying to make a casual game competitive, and in turn, I support them supporting 343 making the game with casuals in mind. I gamble that 343 HOPEFULLY sees the immense support competitive gaming is getting in Halo 4, and thinks "Wow! Look at all the support competitive gaming is giving Halo 4! We should develop Halo 5 with them in mind!" instead of them seeing it as "Wow! Look at all the support competitive gaming is giving Halo 4! We can make Halo 5 for casuals and just give a few custom options to make the game slightly more competitive, and they'll be happy again! Just like they were with Halo:Reach and Halo 4!"

I don't trust them to have the first mindset, after they already had the second mindset twice (during Reach and Halo 4)

(also, I'm at school right now :p)

But who caves? Does 343 fold and focus on appeasing the competitive crowd, or do we fold and be happy with whatever lack luster features 343 gives us?

Even with 343 trying to please the competitive scene, it's still not trying to please them in reality. CSR? It doesn't even work right, no one wanted a ranking system like CSR, they made a ranking system because competitive players wanted it, and then dumbed it down for those who might be okay with a ranking system, and also made it Waypoint only so those we DON'T want a ranking system don't have to have it.

Weapon tweaks? They tried to make competitive players happy, but like CSR, didn't really have us in mind. DMR Nerf? Nope! We'll make the BR a 4 shot and weaken it's rate of fire! There casual players, please keep your baby mode DMR that's easy to fire, easy to aim, and easy to kill with, while we give BR users what they want, but still lower it's rate of fire, and most likely still give them the short end of the stick. Boltshot nerf? Yeah competitive players... we understand a weapon like the Boltshot shouldn't even exist... but... we'll weaken it's range like 25%, it'll still be over-powered and easy close range kills for noobs, but hey! We tried! Oh! Camo nerf as well? Well... it helps uncompetitive gamers, and we know it doesn't fit in a competitive environment as an Armor Ability...
we'll nerf it by making you visible when you shoot! Doesn't fix the problem, but it's something!
Forge Island was just good. No complaints there. I respect and am thankful that 343 gave us that when they didn't have too (although, it really should have been there at a launch, but whatever, better late than ever.) Thank you 343.

Your Beta question... to be honest, I think the real reason 343 didn't give us a beta is because they didn't want us/the Halo fanbase to have a feel for the game. They were probably scarred most people would hate what they played, and not buy the game. That's also my theory of why the game was pretty much hidden multiplayer wise, and most of the info on AA, Bloom, Ordinances, Perks, etc, were late leaks, and they even showed gameplay that didn't have it (BR battle on Haven).

I think the Beta wouldn't have changed much, aside from MAYBE a DMR nerf or Boltshot nerf/removal at launch, but even then, I'm not sure, since 343 seems pretty dead against a DMR nerf right now.

I agree.

As a consumer if you continue paying for a product that you are not happy with you are essentially encouraging the supplier of said product to make more of the same. As it stands the competitive Halo community are bending over backwards, picking up the few little scraps 343 has thrown their way, trying to make the game the slightest bit competitive. Why on earth would 343 make Halo 5 more skillful? They'll probably conclude that it wasn't easy enough or gimmicky enough to compete with COD and dumb it down even more.

Halo has become significantly less competitive with each new release since Halo 3. Halo 3 was fairly competitive with a couple of uncompetitive mechanics such as BR spread and slow movement speed. The game still had a wide skill gap due its arena shooter nature and some hard to master weapons such as the sniper rifle and BR, even with the spread that made it a little bit random, the BR was still a more skillful weapon than any of the rifles in Reach or Halo 4 which are hitscan weapons with too much aim assist. Halo 4 in my opinion is so uncompetitive at the most fundamental level that however much you change you're still left with a set of weapons that do not take a great deal of skill to use due to the sheer amount of auto aim they all have. It seems a fruitless endeavor to me to attempt to make it competitive.

If I wanted to keep competitive Halo going personally I would say arrange Halo 3 LAN tournaments. I don't understand the need to play the latest game when it doesn't provide the experience you want. If there are less viewers of tournaments due to it being an older game then so be it, gaming is supposed to be about fun, not money. Whenever I see remakes of Halo 3 maps mentioned I think to myself, why not just play Halo 3, not have cardboard/plastic looking maps and most importantly have a far superior gameplay experience. The counter strike community did this with counter strike 1.6 rather than all move to counter strike source as they considered source not as skillful and 1.6 retained a strong community.

In addition there are lots of other good games you could spend you're time playing rather than waiting for Halo 4 to become competitive which I just can't see happening. You've got to ask yourself, are you playing Halo 4 because of good gameplay, or are you playing Halo 4 because its a Halo game?

I think it all comes down to what you personally think of the game. I don't enjoy Halo 4 at all, I think its an incredibly frustrating experience with how limited you are in terms of potential for individual skill and how many easy ways there are to get kills/be killed. If you enjoy playing Halo 4 then fair enough.

BigShow36

Too bad the DMR would ruin that map. It's a pretty big bummer that 343 is accommodating for the DMR instead of nerfing it like the community wants.

Anyone who wants the DMR nerfed is an idiot. The game is already way too slow. It definitely should be altered, but not a nerf.

DeadNames

Banned
Anyone who wants the DMR nerfed is an idiot. The game is already way too slow. It definitely should be altered, but not a nerf.

If not a nerf, an increase in bloom or decrease aim assist.

DMR needs a 2x scope. The 3x ruined BTB day one in Reach, imo. We'll see how stronger rifles/automatics does to change it up.

It worked in Reach because it didn't act as a mini sniper. Ironically enough, bloom made BTB somewhat tolerable.

Why would a Designated Marksman Rifle have a 2x scope?

Doesnt even make sense. Either lower the Rate of Fire, make it boltshot and more powerful so its differentiated from the 3 other rifles, or buff the other ones to be on the DMR's level.

DeadNames

Banned
Doesn't stop people from spamming it and getting lucky undeserved kills.

Would you rather have something that shoots straight and as long as you're on target when killing someone or something that could potentially whiz right by their head?

If the DMR was how it was in Reach with 85% bloom, but in Halo 4, I'm fairly certain people would use it less.

Why would a Designated Marksman Rifle have a 2x scope?

Gameplay > canon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom