• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the best worst idea ever. HaloGAF Animated should be a thing and the pilot involves Team SLRP and Team SALT being on Family Feud or some other game show with the old guard being announcers.

Why would a Designated Marksman Rifle have a 2x scope?

Doesnt even make sense. Either lower the Rate of Fire, make it boltshot and more powerful so its differentiated from the 3 other rifles, or buff the other ones to be on the DMR's level.

Big Team will be forever deader.

What if they made War Games CGI cutscenes as a smoke and mirrors way of introducing changes.

"Palmer here, the eggheads are still at it with the DMR. During field testing this week they have reduced its scope from 3x to 2x. Test that weapon Spartans, and report back to Waypoint with your experience."

Fotos

Yep, and since mutliplayer is all just a simulation, it actually makes perfect sense that variables could be altered in that way.

Well if we're talking about cannon than why would they train with a 2x scope if when they actually fight they use a 3x. Just sayin.

Personally I don't think making it a 2x scope is the right thing to do. Than the DMR and the BR are essentially being used for the same thing. The whole point of the DMR is to be a long ranged weapon. Lower the aim assist and we're set.

Tawpgun

Lol not even the pistol could cross map with the ease of the DMR. Needs some kind of a nerd. I say just kill its auto aim after a certain distance.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What if they made War Games CGI cutscenes as a smoke and mirrors way of introducing changes.

"Palmer here, the eggheads are still at it with the DMR. During field testing this week they have reduced its scope from 3x to 2x. Test that weapon Spartans, and report back to Waypoint with your experience."
That would be cool, but there's still the problem of keeping track of which gametype uses which settings and stuff, like in Reach.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Would you rather have something that shoots straight and as long as you're on target when killing someone or something that could potentially whiz right by their head?

If the DMR was how it was in Reach with 85% bloom, but in Halo 4, I'm fairly certain people would use it less.

Gameplay > canon, etc.

I would prefer something skillful and consistent. The problem with the DMR is it is so easy to use, not that it can kill quickly at long range per se. I think making it not hitscan and require leading of shots with less auto aim would be ideal. Reducing scope to 2x would also make it harder to use long range but wouldn't be essential with the above.

I think bloom in Halo games doesn't work well at all as it results in too many lucky kills.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If 343 can axe Squad Slayer for TU BETA SLAYER, then they can make an experimental playlist with different settings each week.

DeadNames

Banned
I would prefer something skillful and consistent.

Do you hear it?

BRRRRUP BRRRRUP BRRRUP.

Yes.
Halo_4_BR.png

u4iX

Well if we're talking about cannon than why would they train with a 2x scope if when they actually fight they use a 3x. Just sayin.

Personally I don't think making it a 2x scope is the right thing to do. Than the DMR and the BR are essentially being used for the same thing. The whole point of the DMR is to be a long ranged weapon. Lower the aim assist and we're set.

Well, we were talking about canon, but if you wanna talk about a cannon we can do that too...

Ghazi

I think that descoping, bloom, and a much shorter aim assist/magnetism range is what kept it balanced. I mean now you can just sit in your sit and keep firing and with the Rogue (I think) unlockable it's nearly no flinch with a really accurate long range rifle. I mean that alone completely breaks it not counting the fact that before that it really outclassed all the other weapons. Bloom was a necessary evil, nobody ever complains about bloom on the magnum, granted the DMR and magnum aren't the best comparison considering one of them is
completely broken
a long range weapon, but the mechanic is still necessary to keep the weapon in balance. Now it's nearly perfectly accurate and you can mash RT, before it still punished you a little bit for that compared to now. Finally, aim assist. All I have to say is seeing that image where the DMR's aim assist covered all of Solace makes me realize that 343 either doesn't care about weapon balance or that they don't know what they're doing. Allowing a weapon to completely dominate an entire map's radius is unacceptable and on the other maps it still covers a vast majority of the their size. I mean, on Settler I was sniping kids on the ridge from our spawn base with the thing, even Waypoint kids realize how broken that shit is.

^walloftext, my formatting is terrible.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I think that descoping, bloom, and a much shorter aim assist/magnetism range is what kept it balanced. I mean now you can just sit in your sit and keep firing and with the Rogue (I think) unlockable it's nearly no flinch with a really accurate long range rifle. I mean that alone completely breaks it not counting the fact that before that it really outclassed all the other weapons. Bloom was a necessary evil, nobody ever complains about bloom on the magnum, granted the DMR and magnum aren't the best comparison considering one of them is
completely broken
a long range weapon, but the mechanic is still necessary to keep the weapon in balance. Now it's nearly perfectly accurate and you can mash RT, before it still punished you a little bit for that compared to now. Finally, aim assist. All I have to say is seeing that image where the DMR's aim assist covered all of Solace makes me realize that 343 either doesn't care about weapon balance or that they don't know what they're doing. Allowing a weapon to completely dominate an entire map's radius is unacceptable and on the other maps it still covers a vast majority of the their size. I mean, on Settler I was sniping kids on the ridge from our spawn base with the thing, even Waypoint kids realize how broken that shit is.

^walloftext, my formatting is terrible.

I agree with most of your points but bloom is a flawed mechanic used to balance a flawed weapon. You can reduce the amount of auto aim to make it harder to aim in general at all ranges. You can also make the weapon fire actual projectiles rather than be hitscan so that a player has to lead their shots, the more range the more difficult this becomes. That way the gun is completely consistent but is not overpowered as it is difficult to use, especially at long range. This creates a weapon that also rewards players that are exceptionally good with it as should be the case.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I really like the Halo 4 BR. If the auto aim was toned down a bit and made a 4 shot, it would be better than Halo 3's IMO.

Except the cricket sound.

Hitscan in Halo 4 could work better if there was a small effective reticule such as the exact centre point rather than the full circle as that essentially gives you a very big target to aim at when only the edge needs to be over your target, effectively 3 times the width of a player. If the exact centre of a crosshair was used then that effective target would be exactly the size of the actual target.

IHaveIce

Banned
Totally forgot today is bulletin day. I mean it is isn't it?

Maybe info on this legendary slayer and when we can expect weapon tuning going global?.. I wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom