• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
JUICES SAVES HALO.

Y'all give me shit for liking Halo 4 and 343 too much, but I agree with everything Juices just noted.
You, sir, looked at it from a level-headed perspective, and you had some great points.

At the end of the day we're all just nerds who want a good Halo game. First world problems.

Yeah, Halo and its fans are in a pretty weird place right now.

I'd say we've been in a weird place since 2010. Reach launched and it was this and that, but what would have normally been a 4-6 month wait until a good TU took longer. Then Bungie left, so that already put the community in shambles. But even with that transition, most of us found a home and still stuck together for 2 odd years.

6 months into Halo 4 and everyone I know (a friend's list comprised of 90% Halo Players) has either left or only plays sporadically. Up until the months before Halo 4, my Reach active roster would be filled with at least a dozen people at any given time and I almost always had to scroll to reach the bottom. Halo 4 is lucky to hit half of that on a good day. You guys keep bugging me about my posts, but this is really the only place I can find any decent Halo discussion for this very same reason.

Everything is already there to show that this isn't where the game nor its community should be, so something should be done. The upcoming change-list is nice and all, but every time I find optimistic for them, another reason not to pops up.

I suppose the next challenge will be to admit that the golden days are over. Halo was special not only because it was different, but because its developers were as well. Nowadays, that distinction isn't so clear, and as far as I can see, Halo is going to be a follower from now on. Bungie made the right choice when they divorced MSoft, and I think it's time to join them.

Yeah, Halo and its fans are in a pretty weird place right now.

Destiny_Tsr_Keyart-e1361085166575.jpg

In all seriousness, it's going to be interesting when Destiny and the next Halo go head to head. I'd like to see Halo go back to it's roots and Destiny be insanely awesome so I have more than one multiplayer game to play.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

wwm0nkey

Destiny_Tsr_Keyart-e1361085166575.jpg

In all seriousness, it's going to be interesting when Destiny and the next Halo go head to head. I'd like to see Halo go back to it's roots and Destiny be insanely awesome so I have more than one multiplayer game to play.

When Halo and Destiny go head to head I already foresee the forums going to hell lol

BigShow36

I highly doubt Destiny will be anything like the Halo MP we're all pining for.

343 is MS, why do people keep acting like they are a separate thing?

Because despite being an internal studio believe it or not they do have some independence. They in all likely hood operate very much like Bungie did. Microsoft will have some high level interaction making sure budgets are kept and or expanded and certain "focus testing" get sufficient feedback but its not like Steve Balmer is telling them to buff the BR

I still think Destiny will be a a Borderlands like coop game more than anything. I don't see PvP being the main focus as much as it is for Halo.

Because despite being an internal studio believe it or not they do have some independence. They in all likely hood operate very much like Bungie did. Microsoft will have some high level interaction making sure budgets are kept and or expanded and certain "focus testing" get sufficient feedback but its not like Steve Balmer is telling them to buff the BR

Independence? They're a part of Microsoft Game Studios, not like Bungie at all. Obviously MGS sets budgets and such for their development teams, and 343 is one of those, that's not independent at all.

I seriously doubt that any exec from MGS is making creative or design decisions for a Halo game. 343 made the Halo game they wanted to make, for better or for worse, there wasn't some exec at MGS "making them do anything" like some of the posts in the thread suggest.

Independence? They're a part of Microsoft Game Studios, not like Bungie at all. Obviously MGS sets budgets and such for their development teams, and 343 is one of those, that's not independent at all.

I seriously doubt that any exec from MGS is making creative or design decisions for a Halo game. 343 made the Halo game they wanted to make, for better or for worse, there wasn't some exec at MGS "making them do anything" like some of the posts in the thread suggest.
I might just be talking out of my ass here because I can't find anything supporting it but there was one thing that I recall from way back about Microsoft trying to get Bungie to tone down the colour for things like the Ghost, they apparently didn't like it being so purple. Bungie supposedly stuck to their guns about it, but now that Halo 4 is here

So who knows really, but it's the first thing that sprung to mind. Whatever the reasons why Halo 4 is the way it is, I just wish it wasn't.

Good post. Not only does it feel so rewarding in the game, but that sense of accomplishment just brings about a better mood in that moment. What's the point of gaming? It's an entertainment medium that should be pleasing to the gamer, so why shouldn't something like a 1-50 ranking system a la Halo 2 be in the next Halo game?

Shit, when I got my well-deserved, non cheated 37 in Halo 2 in a world of modders I went out and saved 10 babies from 3 burning buildings in a single bound. Don't believe me? Well screw you.

I bet Ballmer and Frank play horseshoes together at lunch.
Whatever the reasons why Halo 4 is the way it is, I just wish it wasn't.

lol

This place sucks. I'm out for a while, you know how to reach me.

Why don't you explain why this place sucks?

heckfu

Banned

Why don't you explain why this place sucks?

Same stuff as Wu. It's just not worth posting here anymore. If you aren't circle-jerking to the hate your posts are meaningless. And this isn't an argument over whether who is right or not, I just feel that my posts are disregarded because they don't fit in with the current thread 'standard'.

wwm0nkey

Good post. Not only does it feel so rewarding in the game, but that sense of accomplishment just brings about a better mood in that moment. What's the point of gaming? It's an entertainment medium that should be pleasing to the gamer, so why shouldn't something like a 1-50 ranking system a la Halo 2 be in the next Halo game?

Shit, when I got my well-deserved, non cheated 37 in Halo 2 in a world of modders I went out and saved 10 babies from 3 burning buildings in a single bound. Don't believe me? Well screw you.

I always viewed 1-50 as a learning tool. It didn't become competitive until level 25 but when you reach that level you learned everything because the game put you with people of your skill and you learned at your own pace.

Will just repost the basics of how I feel the Halo 2 system worked

1-10: Learn the Basics

10-15 refine your skill

15-25 Learn tactics and how to work with team mates properly

25-50 Perfecting your skills.

Same stuff as Wu. It's just not worth posting here anymore. If you aren't circle-jerking to the hate your posts are meaningless. And this isn't an argument over whether who is right or not, I just feel that my posts are disregarded because they don't fit in with the current thread 'standard'.

vlcsnap-3907721.png

Say hello to Ghaleon, Wu and Gui for me.

I don't disregard your posts for whatever its worth. A while I don't think all the hate is justified 343i did goof up and I don't feel like it should be forgotten because if it is I feel it's more likely to be repeated.

For the record I loved Single-player and I can see potential in the Multi-player but poor maps and "fluff" is clouding that for me.

This thread does get intense with hate and that is something we ALL need to consider and change because its a horrible place to read sometimes. No wonder many of the older members and 343 dev's don't post here as much/anymore.

OverHeat

« generous god »

So true...

Madness

civil_war.gif

The war rages on...

Edit: I don't think anyone has disregarded your posts Heckfu. I don't know what makes you think otherwise. Why stop posting though? It'll make the thread even more one sided then. But you're free to do so.

Madness

I dare someone to go to PAX and wear a shirt or have a sign that has SAVE HALO, HIRE JUICES! on it and go upto Frankie and try and chat with him. I wonder what he'd think.

Reading his comments in the other thread, I feel bad that Frankie has to always respond to fans and try to put out the fires.

I'm not going to give them much ill will, Halo 4 is a much better game now than at launch, they've hire key guys, Bravo chief among them. They've stated that Halo 3 ranked/social split is perhaps the best option, and they've seen what works and what doesn't work.

Look at Ellis and Spartan Ops, even if you don't like it, you can't deny he and his team didn't listen to the feedback.

They do deserve another chance, and with the power of next gen, we'll see what 343 is really capable of.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I dare someone to go to PAX and wear a shirt or have a sign that has SAVE HALO, HIRE JUICES! on it and go upto Frankie and try and chat with him. I wonder what he'd think.

You double dare me!?!?!?

lol. As if Frankie would see that shirt and want to burn it or something lol come on son

TheOddOne

BUT I WILL MISS YOU. DON'T GO. I LOVE YOU, BOO.

Reading his comments in the other thread, I feel bad that Frankie has to always respond to fans and try to put out the fires.

I'm not going to give them much ill will, Halo 4 is a much better game now than at launch, they've hire key guys, Bravo chief among them. They've stated that Halo 3 ranked/social split is perhaps the best option, and they've seen what works and what doesn't work.

Look at Ellis and Spartan Ops, even if you don't like it, you can't deny he and his team didn't listen to the feedback.

They do deserve another chance, and with the power of next gen, we'll see what 343 is really capable of.

I like their staff and they are doing what they can. However, most of the things they are now adding or changing were already in Halo before they took them out. They're definitely passionate and they're definitely talented, but I can't help but feel like they aren't really respecting the Halo legacy. Call it bad luck or just inexperience, but the bad PR and flops with community features just aren't boding well for the future of the series.

I'm not saying I'm condemning them, but at this point I'm not optimistic about their direction.

I'm taking a break from HaloGAF too.

be back soon

I think I"m just taking a break from Halo in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom