• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

When Halo and Destiny go head to head I already foresee the forums going to hell lol

I still don't understand what they really have to do with each other. Sure, Bungie made Halo and I don't think it's a secret shooting stuff is going to be a major part of it, but an MMO doesn't really interest me on the face of it. They're diverging so much from each other I don't think you can fairly put them into competition.

It's a sad day when I realize my favorite franchise of all time has gone down the drain.

I originally signed up for GAF to join this community and discuss what I'd hoped to be my favorite Halo, but no. It seems everyone here, including myself, hates it. I haven't touched it this year at all. Reading the Gamasutra article only enrages me more. I'm honestly extremely upset by all of this. It seems there's not much hope left.

Talents

Banned
Fine for me.

Friend and I have been playing today and the connections been pretty good.

Good for Halo 3

Yeah I think my H3 disk is screwed. Looked at the back of it and it's scratched to hell. No idea how, it's been in the case for the past few months and it was fine before that.

It's a sad day when I realize my favorite franchise of all time has gone down the drain.

I originally signed up for GAF to join this community and discuss what I'd hoped to be my favorite Halo, but no. It seems everyone here, including myself, hates it. I haven't touched it this year at all. Reading the Gamasutra article only enrages me more. I'm honestly extremely upset by all of this. It seems there's not much hope left.

The player count dropping like flies after about month should give you some.

Alright, enough of the theatrics people. Drink, and be merry.
I still don't understand what they really have to do with each other. Sure, Bungie made Halo and I don't think it's a secret shooting stuff is going to be a major part of it, but an MMO doesn't really interest me on the face of it. They're diverging so much from each other I don't think you can fairly put them into competition.
People always find reasons to fight.

I dare someone to go to PAX and wear a shirt or have a sign that has SAVE HALO, HIRE JUICES! on it and go upto Frankie and try and chat with him. I wonder what he'd think.

Reading his comments in the other thread, I feel bad that Frankie has to always respond to fans and try to put out the fires.

I'm not going to give them much ill will, Halo 4 is a much better game now than at launch, they've hire key guys, Bravo chief among them. They've stated that Halo 3 ranked/social split is perhaps the best option, and they've seen what works and what doesn't work.

Look at Ellis and Spartan Ops, even if you don't like it, you can't deny he and his team didn't listen to the feedback.

They do deserve another chance, and with the power of next gen, we'll see what 343 is really capable of.
"Hey guys, I am Madness and I only post here because Frankie posts here. No. I am serious. I do not really care what you people say, it looks like I care, but at the end I only want Frankie to read my post."

Onikaan

"Hey guys, I am Madness and I only post here because Frankie posts here. No. I am serious. I do not really care what you people say, it looks like I care, but at the end I only want Frankie to read my post."

This doesn't seem fair. You honestly think he only posts to get Frankie's attention?

Madness has posted lots of decent thoughts, and I find myself nodding my head in agreement. Nothing to do with Frankie.

Seance

Banned
I like their staff and they are doing what they can. However, most of the things they are now adding or changing were already in Halo before they took them out. They're definitely passionate and they're definitely talented, but I can't help but feel like they aren't really respecting the Halo legacy. Call it bad luck or just inexperience, but the bad PR and flops with community features just aren't boding well for the future of the series.

I'm not saying I'm condemning them, but at this point I'm not optimistic about their direction.

I think I"m just taking a break from Halo in general.

So many people ITT seem to be under the impression that Bungie knew better what made Halo great. They didn't. 343 are no worse in this respect.

This doesn't seem fair. You honestly think he only posts to get Frankie's attention?

Madness has posted lots of decent thoughts, and I find myself nodding my head in agreement.
I am drunk. So I don't know what's fair. I am sorry if I insulted someone.

Love you guys and you know that. Or at least you know that I love you guys. I mean yeah I think I do.

So many people ITT seem to be under the impression that Bungie knew better what made Halo great. They didn't. 343 are no worse in this respect.

Yeah, they are the ones who removed the pistol and refused to put it back even with all the demands for it year after year after year.

Madness

Lol, seriously? I'm not in game development nor am I trying to get a job with them. I have no ulterior motives for joining or posting here except to share my love of Halo. I would hope he reads all of our posts because we're all fans here and offer perspectives.

Must be nice to generalize all my posts I've made since joining into one inaccurate statement. I'd much rather other HaloGAF members read my posts, especially since I have a problem with writing long ass essays and feel most people just gloss over them.

If I wanted to speak to Frankie, I'd PM him.

I believe it was SatansReverence who said that the best Halo's - CE and 2 - were made by accident. Going off of that, then I can see how you'd think that.

I agree that Bungie made conscious decisions in the past that weren't the best for the series, like SMG starts, shield doors, sword block, bloom, etc. However, as the series' creators, I think they mostly knew what they were building and what they could get away with. Anything else ended up TU'd anyway. Yea, many of the issues we have now are evolutions of things Bungie started, but they were at the very least responsive and community-focused, which is also part of their legacy.

I'm not going to jump on the "343 sucks, Bungie is awesomer" train, especially after complaining about Reach for 2 years. However, I think 343 has made more changes to the series that I've disliked in one game alone than Bungie has over the last 10 years.

So Settler still exists.

This would be a good example. Bungie kept terrible maps in their games too, like Uncaged.

dalVlatko

Kind of agree.

I give Bungie a lot of credit for the customization options, matchmaking, forge, theater, and all of the other community features but the gameplay got worse with every game.

Booshka

Halo CE MP was definitely amazing mostly by accident, and the MP was touched and influenced by the least amount of people so it was the most pure and simple. The beautiful complexity and depth was derived out of the brilliant Halo CE engine Bungie built.

After Halo CE everyone had their hands in the design of the MP, the feature set became amazing but the gameplay got progressively worse.

Madness

Kind of agree.

I give Bungie a lot of credit for the customization options, matchmaking, forge, theater, and all of the other community features but the gameplay got worse with every game.

The level of 'polish' in their games is amazing. Nothing seems out of place, or half-assed.

The more I hear about Destiny the more I believe they purposely added that stuff to Reach to see how it affects the game and plays out. This armor ability loadout system, the space vehicle segment, the varying locales, the use of campaign assets as multiplayer maps. Reach now seems like one big beta for Destiny.

I'm excited for Destiny for the simple fact that they've been working on it for a long time and the whole studio is behind them. Let's see what it's like.

BigShow36

I agree that Bungie made conscious decisions in the past that weren't the best for the series, like SMG starts, shield doors, sword block, bloom, etc. However, as the series' creators, I think they mostly knew what they were building and what they could get away with. Anything else ended up TU'd anyway. Yea, many of the issues we have now are evolutions of things Bungie started, but they were at the very least responsive and community-focused, which is also part of their legacy.

I have no idea where this impression comes from. Sure, Bungie themselves used to tout how "community-focused" they were, but as far as I could tell they did jack shit when it came to actually responding to the community. They weren't the worst, but they were a far cry from the best when it came to addressing and responding to their community. Most of the time Bungie just made fun of them. Heck, they even did a bulletin where they directly attacked and made fun of one of their most rabid fans because he had posted a bunch of criticism about their shitty designs.

Booshka

I have no idea where this impression comes from. Sure, Bungie themselves used to tout how "community-focused" they were, but as far as I could tell they did jack shit when it came to actually responding to the community. They weren't the worst, but they were a far cry from the best when it came to addressing and responding to their community. Most of the time Bungie just made fun of them. Heck, they even did a bulletin where they directly attacked and made fun of one of their most rabid fans because he had posted a bunch of criticism about their shitty designs.

I found that especially ironic because TTU Vapor was bitching about the shit design of Halo 3, then Lukems made fun of him when he had done the exact same thing when he bitched about Halo 2.

I found that especially ironic because TTU Vapor was bitching about the shit design of Halo 3, then Lukems made fun of him when he had done the exact same thing when he bitched about Halo 2.

I never liked Lukems. He always came off as smug in the B.net forums when he rarely posted. Not in a joking way like most of the employees either. He also made fun of the community a lot in the BWU. Was annoying.

Sai-kun

Banned
This place sucks. I'm out for a while, you know how to reach me.

Same stuff as Wu. It's just not worth posting here anymore. If you aren't circle-jerking to the hate your posts are meaningless. And this isn't an argument over whether who is right or not, I just feel that my posts are disregarded because they don't fit in with the current thread 'standard'.

haha wow. peace.

J10

Banned

Every studio that makes games is actually worse at making games than we would be if we knew how to make games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom