• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Y'know I sorta had this discussion with some of you last night on Reach. As a rabid Reach fan (yeah, I know) I definitely remember feeling like the oddball who actually liked the game while everyone was busy bashing the very obvious issues of the game.

And now I see nothing but continual bashing of Halo 4 in a very similar manner, which is fine. The game does have serious glaring issues, but is there nothing worthwhile within this game? I feel like many of the new additions could still be utilized in future Halo games, as long as they were reworked. Things such as sprint aren't terrible and would jetpack really be so atrocious if it was an on map pick up such as rockets or equipment?

Or take Loadouts for instance. If all secondaries were magnums and the PP and Boltshot were simple on map pickups the game would play quite differently and frankly a little more "classic halo." Sure perks aren't exactly the best but if they were relegated to a social slayer mode (which is what infinity would have been perfect at) it would still leave room for a very serious ranked Team slayer as well.

And other things as simple as maps could just use just a little more thought. Maps like Abandon and Sword Base aren't the easiest sell on team modes but in FFA or multi team? It's much harder to hold those top positions if you don't have a full team. Certain maps are only good for certain modes and should be made accordingly.

Sorry about the rant guys I do feel like Halo 4 needs a lot of work just like the rest of you. But looking back on Reach I have to imagine there will be some things in future games that we may have and enjoy that originated in Halo 4. Like many of you have said, it's a diamond in the rough (or a diamond covered in shit) but that doesn't mean 343 isn't hopefully learning lessons and that 5 won't be a better game because of it.

But then again, I'm becoming used to my opinions being the minority.

I agree. AAs as pickups would be a natural evolution of equipment, which would've made Reach better. Fighting for a camo powerup, sniper, and a jetpack could make an interesting dynamic in the game.

The problems that we face in Halo 4 are much bigger than that of Reach. Loadouts are essential to the game. I don't think it's even possible to remove an item from a custom loadout.

Y'know I sorta had this discussion with some of you last night on Reach. As a rabid Reach fan (yeah, I know) I definitely remember feeling like the oddball who actually liked the game while everyone was busy bashing the very obvious issues of the game.

And now I see nothing but continual bashing of Halo 4 in a very similar manner, which is fine. The game does have serious glaring issues, but is there nothing worthwhile within this game? I feel like many of the new additions could still be utilized in future Halo games, as long as they were reworked. Things such as sprint aren't terrible and would jetpack really be so atrocious if it was an on map pick up such as rockets or equipment?

Or take Loadouts for instance. If all secondaries were magnums and the PP and Boltshot were simple on map pickups the game would play quite differently and frankly a little more "classic halo." Sure perks aren't exactly the best but if they were relegated to a social slayer mode (which is what infinity would have been perfect at) it would still leave room for a very serious ranked Team slayer as well.

And other things as simple as maps could just use just a little more thought. Maps like Abandon and Sword Base aren't the easiest sell on team modes but in FFA or multi team? It's much harder to hold those top positions if you don't have a full team. Certain maps are only good for certain modes and should be made accordingly.

Sorry about the rant guys I do feel like Halo 4 needs a lot of work just like the rest of you. But looking back on Reach I have to imagine there will be some things in future games that we may have and enjoy that originated in Halo 4. Like many of you have said, it's a diamond in the rough (or a diamond covered in shit) but that doesn't mean 343 isn't hopefully learning lessons and that 5 won't be a better game because of it.

But then again, I'm becoming used to my opinions being the minority.

I agree with you and these are just simple regulation changes that 343 and Bungie could have done.

But it never happens because they don't want to do it. They insist on keeping maps in places where they don't belong and refuse to change the balance of certain modes, instead passing it off as 'desired by a minority'. I wish I was wrong but I don't see any other reason for some problems to persist for months. All objective data has shown that Sword Base was a poorly designed map; however, if it were removed from team modes and was exclusive to FFA, Infection, and Multi-Team, the problems wouldn't be as apparent. This is something that could have been done in 2010 after the game released.

Even with the problems it has, Halo 4 could be better if 343 were hitting the right notes. Promethean Vision would make an awesome powerup, and so would Damage Boost and Speed Boost. But you're giving these things to players all the time off spawn and saturating the entire game with them. If Infinity were an Action Sack style playlist, nobody would care.

They either haven't realized their vision didn't work, or they have and they just don't want to change it. This many months down the line and with this fanbase, I'm leaning towards the latter.

I'm anti-bad decisions. Anyone at any any company is capable of making bad decisions.

The batman avatar enhances this post.

Booshka

I agree. AAs as pickups would be a natural evolution of equipment, which would've made Reach better. Fighting for a camo powerup, sniper, and a jetpack could make an interesting dynamic in the game.

The problems that we face in Halo 4 are much bigger than that of Reach. Loadouts are essential to the game. I don't think it's even possible to remove an item from a custom loadout.

MLG Reach does exactly this. Jetpack is a limited (1 per team essentially) AA pickup on a couple maps where it makes sense. Camo is a typical powerup fought over by both teams and of course power weapons and all that.

I think abilities could work as long as they are tied into map control and teamwork in order to acquire them, and that they aren't spammed all over the place and completely break the map. Also, Abilities can't completely outclass someone without it, they have to have a minor advantage, but not overpowered.

It could be more like old school arena shooters with more dynamic and game changing pick ups. I would prefer if it was a consumable, it lasted for a set amount of time on pickup, you can't have it for as long as you are alive kind of thing.

Shadowrun essentially did this with Counter-Strike's round based mechanic, tie the abilities into a round based elimination game with per round buys. So as the game progresses characters get more abilities and stronger weapons that they earn round by round with skill. Shadowrun is actually a lot like MOBA's just without the leveling up, turrets and minions, but upgrading your gear and building your team to complement each other and counter the other team is very similar to what you do in a MOBA.

Fuchsdh

MLG Reach does exactly this. Jetpack is a limited (1 per team essentially) AA pickup on a couple maps where it makes sense. Camo is a typical powerup fought over by both teams and of course power weapons and all that.

I think abilities could work as long as they are tied into map control and teamwork in order to acquire them, and that they aren't spammed all over the place and completely break the map. Also, Abilities can't completely outclass someone without it, they have to have a minor advantage, but not overpowered.

It could be more like old school arena shooters with more dynamic and game changing pick ups. I would prefer if it was a consumable, it lasted for a set amount of time on pickup, you can't have it for as long as you are alive kind of thing.

Shadowrun essentially did this with Counter-Strike's round based mechanic, tie the abilities into a round based elimination game with per round buys. So as the game progresses characters get more abilities and stronger weapons that they earn round by round with skill. Shadowrun is actually a lot like MOBA's just without the leveling up, turrets and minions, but upgrading your gear and building your team to complement each other and counter the other team is very similar to what you do in a MOBA.

I kind of always wanted CS' gun game as a mode in Halo. Start with the powerful weapons, then every mode you get a less powerful gun to level up with. Assassinations or sneak attacks steal levels from other players.

Homeboyd

If you just saw this post like I wanted you to, tie yourself down to whatever chair you're sitting in, because this post is going to be a rough fucking ride.

For those of you that have your heads stuck under rocks, which apparently is the majority of this thread, we have been FUCKING UP in terms of game nights and general social interactions with 343. I've been getting PMs on PMs about people LITERALLY being so fucking BAD and so fucking NOOBY. If you're reading this right now and saying to yourself "But oh em gee Homeboyd, I've been having so much fun with my HaloGAF bros this week!", then punch yourself in the face right now so that I don't have to fucking find your IP address to do it myself.

I do not give a flying fuck, and 343 does not give a flying fuck, about how much you fucking love to talk to your HGS clique. You have 361 days out of the fucking year to talk to your bros, and this week is NOT, I fucking repeat NOT ONE OF THEM. This week is about fostering relationships in the Halo community, and that's not fucking possible if you're going to stand around and talk to each other and not our Dev execs. Newsflash you stupid cocks: 343 DOESN'T LIKE BORING POSTERS. Oh wait, DOUBLE FUCKING NEWSFLASH: 343 IS NOT GOING TO WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US IF WE FUCKING SUCK, which by the way in case you're an idiot and need it spelled out for you, WE FUCKING SUCK SO FAR.

This also applies to you little shits that have talked openly about gaming with a different COMMUNITIES IN FRONT OF 343 DEVELOPERS. Are you people fucking retarded? That's not a rhetorical question, I LITERALLY want you to quote me back telling me if you're mentally slow so I can make sure you don't go to anymore game night events. If 343 openly said "Yeah we're gonna invite the CoD community over", would you be happy? WOULD YOU? No you wouldn't, so WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO IT TO THEM?? IN FRONT OF THEM?!! First of all, you SHOULDN'T be gaming with other OT's, I don't give a FUCK if your boyfriend posts in it, if your brother posts in it, or if your entire family posts in that OT. YOU DON'T GO. YOU. DON'T. GO. And you ESPECIALLY do fucking NOT convince other bros to leave with you.

"But Homeboyd!", you say in a whiny little bitch voice to your computer screen as you read this post, "I've been cheering on our teams at all the AGL events, doesn't that count for something?" NO YOU STUPID FUCKING ASS HATS, IT FUCKING DOESN'T. DO YOU WANNA KNOW FUCKING WHY?!! IT DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN FUCKING UP AT MLG FUCKING TOURNEYS TOO. I've not only gotten PMs about people being fucking WEIRD at AGL (for example, being stupid shits and saying stuff like "durr what's a flag juggle?" is not fucking funny), but I've gotten PMs about people actually cheering for the opposing team. The opposing. Fucking. Team. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?!! I don't give a SHIT about sportsmanship, YOU CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM AND NOT THE OTHER ONE, HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN TO AN AGL EVENT? ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND? Or are you just so fucking dense about what it means to make people like you that you think being a good little supporter of the gaming community is going to make our developers happy? Well it's time someone told you, NO ONE FUCKING LIKES THAT, ESPECIALLY FUCKING 343. I will fucking dick kick the next person I hear about doing something like that, and I don't give a fuck if you report me, I WILL FUCKING ASSAULT YOU.

"Ohhh, I'm now crying because your post has made me oh so so sad". Well good. If this post applies to you in any way, meaning if you are a little asswipe that posts megapost rants or "how to save Halo" posts at night or if you're a weird shit that does weird shit during the day, this following message is for you:

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

I'm not fucking kidding. Don't post. Seriously, if you have done ANYTHING I've mentioned in this post and have some rare disease where you're unable to NOT do these things, then you are HORRIBLE, I repeat, HORRIBLE PR FOR THIS COMMUNITY. I would rather have 40 bros that are fun, talk to devs, and not fucking awkward than 80 that are fucking tryhards. If you are one of the people that have told me "Oh nooo boo hoo I can't talk to devs I'm too l33t", then I pity you because I don't know how you got this far in life, and with that in mind don't fucking post unless you're going to stop being a goddamn dev cock block for our community. Seriously. I swear to fucking God if I see anyone being a goddamn boner in tonight's thread, I will tell you to leave even if you're sober. I'm not even kidding. Try me.

And for those of you who are offended at this post, I would apologize but I really don't give a fuck. Go fuck yourself.

lmao

tumblr_lnebs8HJeZ1qfqu24.gif

Cow

If Halo 5 aims at the same audience Halo 4 did I won't be buying it, because none of my friends enjoy Halo 4 because it's not what Halo is meant to be and consequently they don't play it. 343 need to focus on competitive multiplayer. They need to bring back Halo, rather than something that feels like Halo. 4v4 orientated maps with weapons on map, no load outs, no sprint, BR starts... why can't 343 see this?

They can have their infinity slayer, just put it in action sack or something. Halo 4 is trash at the moment but it could be so good, it's so frustrating.

I hate how you get medals for every fucking thing, seriously... a medal for being shot at...

I got together with 16 friends last weekend (none of whom play Halo 4, but all played 2 and 3) and we played Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer over system link and it was so much fun. The majority of them said they would be playing Halo 4 if it had stuck to the Halo formula and had ranks in game.

As for the campaign:

343, I like your new design for prometheans, making them glow and shape shift sort of and stuff like that, but come on be a bit more subtle, all I can remember from the Halo 4 campaign is not being able to see shit because EVERYTHING fucking glows. I found out that alot can change in 5 years from cortana and all of a sudden we dont like the covenant anymore(SERIOUSLY?!), and then I walked around following a giant circle for a bit called a didact, finally got near it, shot at it a bit, it flew away, I went to find it again I went inside it or it came outside or something like that, shot at things for a bit, pushed x a lot and cortana died and killed a didact or it flew away again im not sure. Chief was sad. What a terrible campaign

Enfinit

This place sucks. I'm out for a while, you know how to reach me.

Same stuff as Wu. It's just not worth posting here anymore. If you aren't circle-jerking to the hate your posts are meaningless. And this isn't an argument over whether who is right or not, I just feel that my posts are disregarded because they don't fit in with the current thread 'standard'.

heckfu i just wanna be cool with you

Trasher

Someone forgot to take their meds today?

Edit: Oh....that was supposed to reference that sorority letter? Sheesh, that was pretty terrible then.

crickets.gif

Madness

I consider that entire post a waste of effort.

Just turrible.

Honestly, I was like wtf, what is so special about this week or something. Did I miss some big Halo tournament event or something. And why is he SO upset now.

And then he's like, people who write long ass posts about their feelings about the game, shut the fuck up, I was like damn, what got into him.

Joke post completely went over my head.

Homeboyd

Honestly, I was like wtf, what is so special about this week or something. Did I miss some big Halo tournament event or something. And why is he SO upset now.

And then he's like, people who write long ass posts about their feelings about the game, shut the fuck up, I was like damn, what got into him.

Trasher's right. Meds.

Trasher

v um, wow rude

Not really. Would have seriously asked the same thing about the sorority person who ranted as well. It's a valid question considering how none of what you wrote made any sense lol. Especially since your posts have never been that ridiculous before.

Was executed quite poorly. Tournaments don't even exist for Halo 4!

If you just saw this post like I wanted you to, tie yourself down to whatever chair you're sitting in, because this post is going to be a rough fucking ride.

For those of you that have your heads stuck under rocks, which apparently is the majority of this thread, we have been FUCKING UP in terms of game nights and general social interactions with 343. I've been getting PMs on PMs about people LITERALLY being so fucking BAD and so fucking NOOBY. If you're reading this right now and saying to yourself "But oh em gee Homeboyd, I've been having so much fun with my HaloGAF bros this week!", then punch yourself in the face right now so that I don't have to fucking find your ISP address to do it myself.

I do not give a flying fuck, and 343 does not give a flying fuck, about how much you fucking love to talk to your HGS clique. You have 361 days out of the fucking year to talk to your bros, and this week is NOT, I fucking repeat NOT ONE OF THEM. This week is about fostering relationships in the Halo community, and that's not fucking possible if you're going to stand around and talk to each other and not our Dev execs. Newsflash you stupid cocks: 343 DOESN'T LIKE BORING POSTERS. Oh wait, DOUBLE FUCKING NEWSFLASH: 343 IS NOT GOING TO WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US IF WE FUCKING SUCK, which by the way in case you're an idiot and need it spelled out for you, WE FUCKING SUCK SO FAR.

This also applies to you little shits that have talked openly about gaming with a different COMMUNITIES IN FRONT OF 343 DEVELOPERS. Are you people fucking retarded? That's not a rhetorical question, I LITERALLY want you to quote me back telling me if you're mentally slow so I can make sure you don't go to anymore game night events. If 343 openly said "Yeah we're gonna invite the CoD community over", would you be happy? WOULD YOU? No you wouldn't, so WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO IT TO THEM?? IN FRONT OF THEM?!! First of all, you SHOULDN'T be gaming with other OT's, I don't give a FUCK if your boyfriend posts in it, if your brother posts in it, or if your entire family posts in that OT. YOU DON'T GO. YOU. DON'T. GO. And you ESPECIALLY do fucking NOT convince other bros to leave with you.

"But Homeboyd!", you say in a whiny little bitch voice to your computer screen as you read this post, "I've been cheering on our teams at all the AGL events, doesn't that count for something?" NO YOU STUPID FUCKING ASS HATS, IT FUCKING DOESN'T. DO YOU WANNA KNOW FUCKING WHY?!! IT DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN FUCKING UP AT MLG FUCKING TOURNEYS TOO. I've not only gotten PMs about people being fucking WEIRD at AGL (for example, being stupid shits and saying stuff like "durr what's a flag juggle?" is not fucking funny), but I've gotten PMs about people actually cheering for the opposing team. The opposing. Fucking. Team. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?!! I don't give a SHIT about sportsmanship, YOU CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM AND NOT THE OTHER ONE, HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN TO AN AGL EVENT? ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND? Or are you just so fucking dense about what it means to make people like you that you think being a good little supporter of the gaming community is going to make our developers happy? Well it's time someone told you, NO ONE FUCKING LIKES THAT, ESPECIALLY FUCKING 343. I will fucking dick kick the next person I hear about doing something like that, and I don't give a fuck if you report me, I WILL FUCKING ASSAULT YOU.

"Ohhh, I'm now crying because your post has made me oh so so sad". Well good. If this post applies to you in any way, meaning if you are a little asswipe that posts megapost rants or "how to save Halo" posts at night or if you're a weird shit that does weird shit during the day, this following message is for you:

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

I'm not fucking kidding. Don't post. Seriously, if you have done ANYTHING I've mentioned in this post and have some rare disease where you're unable to NOT do these things, then you are HORRIBLE, I repeat, HORRIBLE PR FOR THIS COMMUNITY. I would rather have 40 bros that are fun, talk to devs, and not fucking awkward than 80 that are fucking tryhards. If you are one of the people that have told me "Oh nooo boo hoo I can't talk to devs I'm too l33t", then I pity you because I don't know how you got this far in life, and with that in mind don't fucking post unless you're going to stop being a goddamn dev cock block for our community. Seriously. I swear to fucking God if I see anyone being a goddamn boner in tonight's thread, I will tell you to leave even if you're sober. I'm not even kidding. Try me.

And for those of you who are offended at this post, I would apologize but I really don't give a fuck. Go fuck yourself.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Wubs for Scrubs Remix Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Kevin Franklin's dream diary, and I have over 300 confirmed weapon concepts. I am trained in Photoshop CS2 and I’m the top megaposter in the entire GAF armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with anecdotal acuity the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of cleansers across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can doodle you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in Illustrator CS1, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the NeoGAF Banned Armed Forces and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Trasher

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Wubs for Scrubs Remix Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Kevin Franklin's dream diary, and I have over 300 confirmed weapon concepts. I am trained in Photoshop CS2 and I’m the top megaposter in the entire GAF armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with anecdotal acuity the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of cleansers across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can doodle you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in Illustrator CS1, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the NeoGAF Banned Armed Forces and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Just...no...don't.

Madness

I'm sure if I could see this OG post first I could appreciate yours more.

Yeah. I don't even think I read the entirety of that sorority girls letter. All I know from what I read was she was one of those batshit insane socialite type girls who freaked out at her sisters after an event.

Given how divided HaloGAF got today, I thought Boyd was dead serious and that he just like flipped out and wanted us to change how we were in the OT.

But I know what he meant now and where the source for the post was so it's good. I'm assuming Wahrer's reply is from another person who flipped out or something?

Homeboyd

Yeah. I don't even think I read the entirety of that sorority girls letter. All I know from what I read was she was one of those batshit insane socialite type girls who freaked out at her sisters after an event.

Given how divided HaloGAF got today, I thought Boyd was dead serious and that he just like flipped out and wanted us to change how we were in the OT.

But I know what he meant now and where the source for the post was so it's good. I'm assuming Wahrer's reply is from another person who flipped out or something?
No Wahrer has always just hated me. :'(

Madness

Is Grenadier or Resupply more useful? I like having an extra nade, but being able to pick them up from bodies is good, too.

If you are a good player, resupply is better. But if you are one of those kill, die, respawn, repeat players, grenadier is much more helpful.

I only use it for my anti-vehicle loadout, so I can spawn with plasma pistol and 3 sticky grenades. I hate myself for just saying this by the way, as I contribute to the damn problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom