• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

The Falcon was good in Reach because of the maps. I can't see a map in Halo 4 (perhaps Ragnarok) where the Falcon could work well.

I see your point... but then again, the machine gun only Hornet could have worked just as well as the Banshee

Haven't touched H4 in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me if they have added hockey and rockethog gametypes?

I found those were the gametypes I genuinely enjoyed playing with friends after I got burned out on the traditional gametypes.

They added an Action Sack playlists with game types like that. There's Lightning Flag, Fiesta Slayer, and Binary Slayer. They're all pretty fun and a serve as a nice break from the others.

DeadNames

Banned
The Falcon was good in Reach because of the maps. I can't see a map in Halo 4 (perhaps Ragnarok) where the Falcon could work well.

I doubt 343 could make a huge map because of graphical limitations. I mean they could, but it would probably run at keynote tier.

____

Holy shit, why did randomrosso get banned?

ZeNy

Neo Member
I doubt 343 could make a huge map because of graphical limitations. I mean they could, but it would probably run at keynote tier.

____

Holy shit, why did randomrosso get banned?

Well, Forge Island is pretty big, Impact and Ravine too, so this vehicule could work in a forged environment, but not in the maps Certain Affinity and 343 Industries made as launch maps.

In case the previous posts didn't give it away he made a "niiiice" joke in a gang rape thread

Yeah I saw that after editing my post. I guess I should say he was a nice guy now.

DeadNames

Banned
Well, Forge Island is pretty big, Impact and Ravine too, so this vehicule could work in a forged environment, but not in the maps Certain Affinity and 343 Industries made as launch maps.

But Forge Island is literally three platforms. The skybox, when talking about complexity, is pretty simple. A few low-poly islands scattered across a vista.

Impact and Ravine aren't TOO big, I'd say Erosion is bigger than all of them. It really is a shame Erosion has the ugliest forge set I've ever seen.

Izick

Anyone else been playing Judgement? I've been really enjoying it.

Needs some new maps, though.

I thought the beta was a lot of fun. I like the idea of mixing regular Gears gameplay with some fortress defense/class-based stuff. I think Gears 3 did that as well, but I never played it.

I think people will be excited again if Epic makes a new Gears with Unreal 4 for the Nextbox.

m23

Dunno if the guy who's organizing it has any capturing equipment. Plus there'll probably only be like 6 people (And half of those are really bad at Halo :p)

I did that a while ago with quite a few friends. We tried playing Halo 2 but only had 360's, game ran horribly on 4 consoles. Frame rate was so bad it was unplayable, I guess using the OG xbox would be much better.

We switched over to halo 3 for the rest of the time.......it was a blast.

(Halo 4 also ran horribly)

Izick

All these people joining 343....

For an odd reason, I kind of have high hopes for Halo 5.

I'm really curious to see what 343 does, not only graphically (it'll probably look great though) but just in terms of how they're addressing some complaints that long-time fans (like the people on here) have. I'm curious to see if they take those into consideration, or just continue to go in another direction.

Fuchsdh

I'm really curious to see what 343 does, not only graphically (it'll probably look great though) but just in terms of how they're addressing some complaints that long-time fans (like the people on here) have. I'm curious to see if they take those into consideration, or just continue to go in another direction.

They *have* taken the complaints of people like many on here into consideration. Look at Halo 4 at launch, and Halo 4 now. I doubt they're ever going to solely focus on that demographic, though; no Halo has (although you can also argue the default Halo in each game was more similar than Halo 4 is to the argued "competitive" settings.)

Played Halo 4 again today after taking a 2 months brake. Did they reset the skill levels or something? So many BK's.

And where on waypoint can I check my CSR? Gotta see that skill level!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Played Halo 4 again today after taking a 2 months brake. Did they reset the skill levels or something? So many BK's.

True Skill was reset when CSR was released. So about 3 weeks ago.

Sign into HaloWaypoint.com, hover over Career and then click Halo 4 Stats overview

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Surprisingly I didn't drunk post too much in here last night. I don't know what I meant by <Sai but I stand by it.

I should be up for some 4 later today if anyone wants to get a BTB party going.

Havok

True Skill was reset when CSR was released. So about 3 weeks ago.

Sign into HaloWaypoint.com, hover over Career and then click Halo 4 Stats overview
Instead of bothering with Waypoint, just use Quick CSR or Leaf. They load in a timely manner, which is a nice change from having to reload that ridiculous stats webapp every time.

Madness

But the marketing for Gears 3 and now Judgment was pure shit. Hardly anyone even knew there was a new Gears game out. The main ad was some stupid infographic of how many matches of overrun a girl won against her boyfriend, showed some dog howling, and Cole saying let's go baby and like 1 second of gameplay footage. Bioshock infinite by comparison had an amazing marketing strategy.

Plus judging by the sales of Gears Judgment and it's place on the XBL charts, it flopped. So don't count me excited for this recent hire. I thought 343 did alright with its commercial, but it was a bit weird.

Ghazi

I thought 343 did alright with its commercial, but it was a bit weird.

They had TV spots of actual in-game footage and the scanned live action trailer. Reach had the Remember Reach stuff going on for it (which I did like) and 3 had the Believe trailer iirc.

Overall I wouldn't say it was bad at all, I'm sure they had a very generous marketing budget to work with being a first party studio and all (Bungie & 343).

I do not, however, remember any ODST TV ads, I only saw the trailers while it was still called Halo 3: Recon.

Epic's marketing head leaves for Halo.

Seems like everyone has been jumping ship from Gears.

Oh god no, If you thought Halo 4's marketing was bad, it will get worse.

But the marketing for Gears 3 and now Judgment was pure shit. Hardly anyone even knew there was a new Gears game out. The main ad was some stupid infographic of how many matches of overrun a girl won against her boyfriend, showed some dog howling, and Cole saying let's go baby and like 1 second of gameplay footage. Bioshock infinite by comparison had an amazing marketing strategy.

Plus judging by the sales of Gears Judgment and it's place on the XBL charts, it flopped. So don't count me excited for this recent hire. I thought 343 did alright with its commercial, but it was a bit weird.

Judgement marketing was horrible, Meet Kilo squad, Launch Trailer and Guts of War were horrible and the music was easily out of place.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
They had TV spots of actual in-game footage and the scanned live action trailer. Reach had the Remember Reach stuff going on for it (which I did like) and 3 had the Believe trailer iirc.

Overall I wouldn't say it was bad at all, I'm sure they had a very generous marketing budget to work with being a first party studio and all (Bungie & 343).

I do not, however, remember any ODST TV ads, I only saw the trailers while it was still called Halo 3: Recon.

Whaaaa
ODST had an amazing ad.

Madness

Oh god no, If you thought Halo 4's marketing was bad, it will get worse.

Judgement marketing was horrible, Meet Kilo squad, Launch Trailer and Guts of War were horrible and the music was easily out of place.

Yeah that's my point. Why would anyone hire this guy and try to make it seem like a positive? Completely shit the bed with Gears Judgment marketing.

And ODST had those amazing trailers and commercials. WE ARE ODST.

Yeah that's my point. Why would anyone hire this guy and try to make it seem like a positive? Completely shit the bed with Gears Judgment marketing.

And ODST had those amazing trailers and commercials. WE ARE ODST.

The only things I ever saw about GOWJ were things Cyren sent me and that one time there was an ad on the dashboard.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
Hi Everyone,
First post here, WoT incoming.

I've been a Halo player since day-one on the first xbox. It was a blast and I loved multiplayer so much that I kept playing it in split-screen and LAN for years with my friends. Then Halo 2, I loved it. I started reading the books because the story was so amazing and the whole universe was so well-crafted and detailed that the sense of discovering was incredible. I really liked how Bungie interacted with gamers (Public Betas, WUs, forums). Bungie made me feel like Halo wasn't just a game, it was my game. I won't go "oh so dramatic" in this post, I will just share my Halo Reach/4 experience. And Reach plays an important role here.

As much as I hated Reach I played it a lot, Halo 3 was still there so why playing an inferior game? Customization is the answer. As I said before I'm mostly a LAN player and Reach possibilities are amazing. Sure it had little to no-support post game but Reach offers so many gamemodes and options that it just doesn't get old. Now how is this important? It is because of Halo 4. When I was following the development of HAlo 4 and watching ViDocs, pre-release gameplays, interviews everything looked so bright. When I saw the footage showing a br battle with strafe and halo3-like jumps I was excited."The core gameplay is intact" and "Feels like Halo" were the golden phrases back then.

Then the game came out. I played and finished the campaign day-one on legendary with my friends and we enjoyed it but there was something that didn't feel right. I had to go through it solo to understand that it was that bad "fan-fiction" feeling (for those readers out there). 343i decided to give a face to that part of the Halo universe that Bungie chose to keep in in the dark. We knew little about forerunners and precursors and it was mainly from the books. With Halo 4 (and all the books that sorround the game) we're thrown in this part of the halo universe that was mysterious before. They gave us so many informations about it that I just didn't feel the discovering feeling I had with the past titles/books. I don't understand why leaving us clueless about why we still fight the covenant (the storm now apparently), and giving us no manual in the box with whatever explanations about classes or background story. They changed the appearance of grunts, jackals and elites making them look like a mix between reptiles and sharks. No big deal, but the Halo universe is made of details (Bestiarium being an example), and some of them got lost because of changing.

I could live with those changes. The Chief is back, the campaign is graphically stunning and it's far better that Reach. Everyone at 343i was all like "we want to give Halo our own mark" and I understand that, it's not easy to take such a huge (declining) franchise and bring it back to the top. Halo 4 is their first game as a team and I didn't expect the transaction to be smooth or painless. But I did expect them to ship a Halo game.

This was just campaign and the fictional universe then I played multiplayer. I won't share my first-impressions, I'll talk about what I think now that I played for a long while and ended up stop playing.

I'm not a mlg fanatic (of course I like watching those crazy skills in tournaments), but I am a Halo player. And there are things that made Halo Halo. We got a game with huge asymmetrical and chaotic maps, no fixed weapons spawning, classes, flinching, huge radar radius, perks, indicators of any kind, ordnance drops, no red Xs, Boltshot, Camo AA, underpowered precision weapons, super aim assist, overpowered automatic weapons and overall balancing issues.

They kinda fixed Red Xs but the arrow above the head of offscreen teammates appearing on screen if they where shooting or being shoot was an important part of gameplay for me. Now the color changing is so subtle I barely notice it and obviously offsreen teammates can die alone.

I was skeptical when they unveiled this rogue perk that kept you scoped in when shot. Just like perks in general it promotes the philosophy that if you played more than you got better stuff compared to a newcomer. Halo was about who's better not about who has the best things. In the final cut we got descoping removed anyway. We got flinching. Flinching alone made me understand that what was Halo for me isn't what is Halo for 343i. That is my main problem with the game, they kept saying that it feels like Halo, very clever use of words because it does feel like Halo but it isn't really.

I can understand 343i adding ordnance, personal weapon drops and a shitton of indicators to help people that don't want to count the spawning time of every power weapon or learn weapons placing. Personal weapon drops promotes static gameplay because you have no need of moving, weapons will literally come from the sky at will. It could have been fine because that should have been just Infinity Slayer. A mode for people new to the franchise, maybe coming from CoD, who want XP progression system, perks and ordnance. I thought we were going to have a Slayer mode with more than a Halo feeling, I wanted a true Halo slayer.

Too bad for me I guess but I tried to keep my personal Halo experience clean by using loadouts as "classic" (by classic I mean "not cheap") as possible. I used the DMR over the BR because RECOIL is not halo to me and RECOIL+FLINCH makes the BR useless. Of course I immediately unlocked stability but it doesn't change much. I could deal with Camo campers, boltshots, and everything because it wasn't so noticeable. Then everyone apparently started abusing game mechanics and I had to deal with camo boltshot, camo snipers, rushing and throwing plasma teams. It was frustrating, so I stopped playing alone and started playing with my rl friends (no more split or lan because it's broken in halo 4) and it was fresh air, with a full team you don't get matched with idiots, you don't get in JIP and most of the time lag is low (I'm from Europe).

Then one day I got killed by a boltshot camo camper, nothing infuriating he was the average boltshot camper and I didn't rage but it made me think. Why? Why am I doing this? So I removed the magnum from all my loadouts and put boltshot in, I made a BTB loadout with camo and reroll (both the boltshot and camo weren't even unlocked until SR80/90) and I played like that. It sucks but I find myself raging only at jetpack+AR kids. Now the problem is that I was playing to rage as little as possible. I wasn't playing to have fun. I was playing for the sake of playing Halo. I have been trying to enjoy this game until I stopped because I got bored (Got bored of a Halo game after few months!?).

All of this was a week before the forge test playlist came out, it gave me faith until I played Infinity Slayer on Lockout. Wow. Everything that is wrong in this game could be summed up in only one game of Infinity Slayer on Lockout. Jetpacks and Boltshot Camo on sniper tower are a joke of course, but b-rifles, rockets and Incinerator Cannons are no joke. Now, after that, I still play from time to time with friends but I don't last long. I'm waiting for the patch but it can't do much. Big maps are needed because of the OP AR, because of the DMR, because the whole sandbox would not work with maps like lockout. Will they get rid of everything? I don't think so. To me AAs should be like Thruster Packs, subtle and not game breaking.

In the end I dunno if I will actually enjoy Halo again (GODDAMN FLINCH NOT BEING REMOVED? WHY?) because being even on the field, being unscoped when shot and balance are what made past Halos Halo for me. I played Reach (universally the worst Halo) for years but after a few months I can't stand Halo 4 and I wonder who 343i listened to during the years of making the game. They cut out so many gamemodes that belonged Halo and that were supported by huge sub-communities. They added unwanted things without testing them enough (how much testing is required to understand how Camo+AA efficiency+boltshot/sniper depending on the map is OP and out of place?). Somebody wanted all of that and spawning with stickies and plasma pistols apparently but if it wasn't us who were those people? The Halo community is big and it is hard to make everyone happy but I feel like they wanted to please newcomers more than they wanted to keep the loyal fans (that were already burnt with Reach) I don't hate the idea of classes itself it was just poorly implemented. 343i changed Halo for the sake of changing (see Flinch, asymmetrical maps, forge), cutting for the sake of cutting (See One-flag, assault, options...) and adding for the sake of adding (You got rockets? We give you incineration Cannon. You got sniper? We give you b-rifle!). People don't want SUPERCOOLOMGWEAPONS we want a balanced enjoyable HALO GAME. I hope Halo 5 will have a beta, I hope 343i really understood their mistakes (and interviews lead to believe they do undestand they messed up), I hope they will bring back Halo.

Halo 4 is what it is and the fixes are being subtle but it's something. I mean to me it looks like they are trying to make people understand they are listening and willing to go back to the roots.

My English ain't perfect as my first language is Italian. I'm sorry about it.

PS This is an updated version of a post I made on Waypoint months ago.

Glad the mods are cracking down on meta discussion.

ifFllPjXGNvJi.gif

Can't wait for the GOWJ-styled Halo ads.

*pic of a 5 year old doing the AR photoshoot*

"GOT 3 KILLS AND CALLED DOWN AN ORDNANCE DROP"

*pic of a 6 year old with Chief*

"GOT US TO SCRAP THE GRAVITY HARPOON IN FOCUS TESTING"

*pic of a horribly obese 12-year-old holding a bag of doritos and a box of pizza hut*

"CONNECT TO HALO WAYPOINT"

"IF WE DON'T TURN THIS SHIP AROUND RIGHT FUCKING NOW, I'M GONNA AI MY FOOT

UP YA ASS"

HALO 5
nominated best game of the year according to vgcchartz

orznge

Banned
Says the guy who got banned for not remembering a game had zombies/infected in it lol

to be fair if you have only seen cursory shit about that game then it is hard to know. I had thought it was just a post-apocalyptic game and I thought it looked hella cool until I found out it was a zombie/infected game, which means I think it is detestable garbage and I would never touch it in a million years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom