• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're willing to give 343 a second chance? Like I said, 343 has us in a choke-hold basically, most of us love Halo too much to quit it, and we'll accept whatever 343 gives us most likely. :|

Yea I think 343 is going to give in and learn from their mistakes and make a good Halo 5. I'm a Halo fan I'll probably end up buying it day one, unless I'm busy then I might get it later in the week, but I probably will be watching some streams first before buying to make sure theres something in the game I will enjoy.

TheOddOne

I'll feel nothing 'til we get flag juggling back.

Which we probably won't.
willy-wonka-you-get-nothing.gif

Because people like you still play the game. Developers go "Good Enough!™" and dont bother with advanced features.

That's pretty black and white. Still playing an old game vs voting with your wallet on 4 when it comes to no longer throwing money at maps.

So far from the truth, especially after you already bought the game. Just because the people who post on Halo forums still play Halo 4 doesn't mean they're allowing for the "good enough" mentality to fly. In reality, those of us who post on forums are in the minority and it doesn't matter if we play the game or not because that "good enough" mentality is formed based on the masses, if at all. The drastic decline in population over the past few months speaks for itself.

Kind of like the "my vote doesn't mean crap" mentality because those numbers are insignificant compared to the greater picture (larger population who don't go on forums combined with other factors like ignorance, etc.).

Tangent: The vocal minority, people who post on forums, are the people 343 should be listening to over Matchmaking stats. If there are three voting options:

• Infinity CTF
  • Infinity CTF
  • Abandon CTF
What do you think people are going to vote for most of the time? Chances are votes will go against Abandon CTF, so should we rely on this kind of data to determine design philosophies for the next game? No. This has been the case though for Matchmaking ever since its creation in Halo 2; this isn't a problem exclusive to Halo either.

-EDIT-

No this forum is a good amount of people. Its got young, old, bks, and dongers. Its a great quality sample size for any choices made for 343. If you look at the actual players of Halo 4 you get pretty much the same thing you just get larger numbers of approximate proportions.

However the voting thing is skewed because you dont know if they are choosing the gametype, or weapon set.

You're saying now that 343 should listen to us because of what you just said, which I 100% agree with. Those of us playing the game has no impact on the population numbers is what I was getting at.

But yeah, whenever 343 or Bungie would say "but the forums are the very vocal minority and we should listen to hard data instead" always frustrated me because of the bolded. We are the people they should be listening to for future releases and design changes, not skewed stats because we are a great sample size with a lot of diverse players.

So far from the truth, especially after you already bought the game. Just because the people who post on Halo forums still play Halo 4 doesn't mean they're allowing for the "good enough" mentality to fly. In reality, those of us who post on forums are in the minority and it doesn't matter if we play the game or not because that "good enough" mentality is formed based on the masses, if at all. The drastic decline in population over the past few months speaks for itself.

Kind of like the "my vote doesn't mean crap" mentality because those numbers are insignificant compared to the greater picture (larger population who don't go on forums combined with other factors like ignorance, etc.).

Tangent: The vocal minority, people who post on forums, are the people 343 should be listening to over Matchmaking stats. If there are three voting options:

• Infinity CTF
  • Infinity CTF
  • Abandon CTF
What do you think people are going to vote for most of the time? Chances are votes will go against Abandon CTF, so should we rely on this kind of data to determine design philosophies for the next game? No. This has been the case though for Matchmaking ever since its creation in Halo 2; this isn't a problem exclusive to Halo either.

No this forum is a good amount of people. Its got young, old, bks, and dongers. Its a great quality sample size for any choices made for 343. If you look at the actual players of Halo 4 you get pretty much the same thing you just get larger numbers of approximate proportions.

However the voting thing is skewed because you dont know if they are choosing the gametype, or weapon set.

Just throwing it out there as a possible idea.

-Have the Halo 5 Beta feature a simple enough feature set - 3-4 maps, armor, and whatnot.

-5 to 7 playlists.

-Each playlist features a mix of some of the most-played gametypes: something to the effect of Team Slayer, FFA Slayer, CTF, and Oddball.

-Each playlist would feature the exact same gametype listing. Team Slayer/CTF are team-based, FFA/Oddball are FFA, using the same matching technology, just splintering both teams into a FFA listing.

-However, on one end of the spectrum we have "Classic Halo" and on the other "Infinity." Classic is Reach MLG levels of barebones, while Infinity is... well, Infinity.

-Between Classic and Infinity, we have a variety of options. From least classic to most classic: Infinity / Legendary / Waypoint / Standard / Pro / Legacy / Classic

-The two playlists with the highest playtime and most positive acclaim would go on to be the two primary modes of play in Halo 5.

Booshka

Would this work though...people rubberband and spin and jump in circles somehow. I dont think looking at the players in game actions could ever work. You could say yea if someone dies X amount of times they get booted if they dont get a kill, but still, someone might legitimately do that bad. And you cant really implement a team boot system because Halo players are assholes and will abuse that system. Its defintitely a very hard system to think about.

I expected this response, just make it a QTE to get back in the game instead of a simple one button press.

Right Trigger, Click left stick, A, LB, X, etc to get back into game. Make it super easy with timing so you don't get kicked out of a MP game because you fucked up a QTE lol. Assholes with rubber bands and turbo controllers trying to AFK to boost rank or be dicks would be screwed if they had to do a QTE to get back in.

You could also just keep it a basic press A to continue for a while until a players has gone AFK for 5 or more games in a week span, then you get more aggressive with the QTE style to keep AFK players on their toes. People will figure out ways of gaming the system if they can use it to boost rank, but this simple solution would weed out a lot of the just harmless AFK players that are literally just away and forgot to leave the game before Matchmaking started.

Or most likely, the map.
I despise everything about Infinity, but I'll pick it every time if the other maps are garbage.

Oh yea thats what I meant lol.

Although I'm the opposite I'll choose Uncaged if I have to if its the only choice thats going to give me DMR's.

Bullshit I already payed for it and juices also did, if I play it or not doesn't change anything, we all made the failure by this means and voted with our wallet.

Yea we made that choice and bought it. I havent paid additionally for any map pack though, and also we can vote daily by not giving them our UU vote. That way it continues to drop down in the XBL charts and the population stays low. Lets face it I think they KNOW that everyone is going to buy Halo, I dont think they are stupid enough to equate sales with a good Halo game, they see the population charts and realize this isnt the Halo fans wanted. I'm sure no matter what they put in the next Halo it will again sell more.

IHaveIce

Banned
That's pretty black and white. Still playing an old game vs voting with your wallet on 4 when it comes to no longer throwing money at maps.

Bullshit I already payed for it and juices also did, if I play it or not doesn't change anything, we all made the failure by this means and voted with our wallet.

Oh yea thats what I meant lol.

Although I'm the opposite I'll choose Uncaged if I have to if its the only choice thats going to give me DMR's.

MLG Reach is how I wanted AA's to evolve so they wouldn't have to be restricted to some spawnable garbage. Fighting over a brolic Auto Sentry that lasts for a few secs in CTF could be kind of cool, for example. How about fighting over Promethean Vision as a Powerup that gives the player 15 secs of unlimited glasswalls? That would've been a natural evolution to Halo gameplay over these custom loadouts which should've just been to choose your primary and secondary weapons from a pool of weapons. Perks and AA's on spawn are killing Halo if that is the default MM experience

----------

So say 343 fixes the problems we're having with Halo 4 for Halo 5, what else do you guys think we'll be complaining about? It's inevitable, Halo fans make excuses for the current Halo's shortcomings so when the next one comes out, there are some improvements but there's always something that will ruin the flow of gameplay and our overall experience.

I'm telling you, no Halo game is safe from this so what will the next issues be? Strictly talking multiplayer by the way.

I think that if they expand upon matching players together based on what they want to play through filters and/or a CGB/hybrid MM, then people will be more inclined to complain about the lack of features over anything else. This should be the first thing addressed for Halo 5 because to me, the foundation of Halo has always been the flexibility in its customization which ironically could have always been far greater.

How about Forge using SmartGlass? Now if Halo 5 doesn't incorporate the potential of a second screen while other games do, then that's something worthy of complaint. Examples like that..

I already paid for it because I didn't know. If you stop playing it entirely shows you're not going to put up with this shit anymore. What does not playing Reach do? Who cares about Reach enough to make a point now? It's old news.

They're not equivalent.

MLG Reach is how I wanted AA's to evolve so they wouldn't have to be restricted to some spawnable garbage. Fighting over a brolic Auto Sentry that lasts for a few secs in CTF could be kind of cool, for example. How about fighting over Promethean Vision as a Powerup that gives the player 15 secs of unlimited glasswalls? That would've been a natural evolution to Halo gameplay over these custom loadouts which should've just been to choose your primary and secondary weapons from a pool of weapons. Perks and AA's on spawn are killing Halo if that is the default MM experience

----------

So say 343 fixes the problems we're having with Halo 4 for Halo 5, what else do you guys think we'll be complaining about? It's inevitable, Halo fans make excuses for the current Halo's shortcomings so when the next one comes out, there are some improvements but there's always something that will ruin the flow of gameplay and our overall experience.

I'm telling you, no Halo game is safe from this so what will the next issues be? Strictly talking multiplayer by the way.

I think that if they expand upon matching players together based on what they want to play through filters and/or a CGB/hybrid MM, then people will be more inclined to complain about the lack of features over anything else. This should be the first thing addressed for Halo 5 because to me, the foundation of Halo has always been the flexibility in its customization which ironically could have always been far greater.

How about Forge using SmartGlass? Now if Halo 5 doesn't incorporate the potential of a second screen while other games do, then that's something worthy of complaint. Examples like that..

The primary issues with halo 4 mp are the unequal footing at game start, and the lack of well balanced well designed maps with appropriate weapon spawns. If they fix that, I'll be back on board day 1.

Everything else needs to be given to the player to fix accordingly. Jump heights, sheild and weapon dmg, movement speed, all of them should become cvar's for players to change in forge.

They shouldn't be following in anyones footsteps, they should be making their own. It's exactly the problem which lead them to 4 faults. If halo 5 includes smartglass in some shitty way because that's the trend, then they're making the exact same mistakes as 4. So of course they're going to get railed for it.

Dax hasnt made a post in like the last two halo threads. Why should she make it? No, absolutely not, I say Plywood, or Wahrer, or anyone still here actively involved in the HaloGAF community and thread.

DeadNames

Banned
Dax hasnt made a post in like the last two halo threads. Why should she make it? No, absolutely not, I say Plywood, or Wahrer, or anyone still here actively involved in the HaloGAF community and thread.

as tired as I am of the parody OPs, I agree. you can't get out of a line then reenter an hour later expecting to get the same spot. I'd give the OP to Nowise or Wahrer.

I don't want to get into a big argument but Dax expressed interest in doing it and her own personal issues with booties and others stopped her. Personally I'd like some of the older members to consider making a return and Dax making a OT could be a step towards that. A more positive attitude all round could do this place wonders.

OTs don't belong to anybody. Some of you get way to hung up on that bidniz.

I agree, but at the same time the drama here just gets ridiculous. After most people were expecting Dax to do OT16, Booties posted his OT an entire 75 posts before the original was going to shut down. I can't remember another OT (save for maybe Pics That Make You Laugh OT5) that prematurely popped up that quick, and even in the case of the Pics thread TDM actually locked OT5, waited for OT4 to fill up to capacity, and then re-opened OT5.

Give it to Cyclone. Hes enthusiastic and comitted to Halo 4.

As for the mood of this thread. No OT post by anyone will bring back the regulars, the regulars left because they dont enjoy this Halo. Halo being good again will bring them back, but one post that nobody ever reads after the first page is done full of rehashed 'What is Halo?' bullshit isn't going to fix Halo. And I'm POSITIVE about that.

I'm almost in the Top 10 posters in this OT.

I volunteer for Halo |OT17|. Who's in favor? :D

I really want Dax to make OT17 though, it's her turn.

Talking about the next OT already?
------------------------------------------------
Previous PAX Prime goers - how much did ye spend per day? I'm trying to plan my savings now that I've every book (look at all that money go ;_;).

Sai-kun

Banned
Talking about the next OT already?
------------------------------------------------
Previous PAX Prime goers - how much did ye spend per day? I'm trying to plan my savings now that I've every book (look at all that money go ;_;).

I saved money on breakfast because my buddy I was staying with cooked for me, so I dunno about that. But my lunches were generally $10-$15, and I ended up spending about the same for dinner, although it was usually more ($15-$25) because of drinks and stuff (although the free ones were gr8).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom