• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really want to argue about whether a brick wall can talk? Jesus H Christ. This is why this community sucks.

There's no argument here.

Either you're trolling or you genuinely don't understand the idiom. In either case, I don't see how *I'm* what's wrong.

Save us juices/stinkles/Wahrer/Satan/etc.

Well he's right actually. A large portion of HaloGAF doesn't play Halo 4 at all anymore. You can't argue that.
So that means nobody plays? Thanks again for your insight.

Especially OG HaloGAF aka best HaloGAF. #biased #HGS

Oooooooh. That explains it. See this shit? THIS is what's wrong here. This insular, ignorant, seniority bullshit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well this is kind of wrong, but yeah.

Agreed, this community is just in an odd place right now. We've never had a point where a majority wasn't playing Halo. I dislike that.

Well, let's be honest - in this thread you're talking about a couple of dozen people. We all know each other, I know what people are going to type, you know what I am going to type. If you (I don't mean you literally) are done with Halo 4, then move on, let this thread retain a normal community shape for the people who are still invested in it. Lots of people don't post in here because of the constant negativity, so there's no scientific PH balance here, just tenure.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There is. The Halo 4 OT is dead because there really isn't much a community on GAF that likes the game. We have made it known what we don't like about 4 and not much is being done to fix it.

How many times do I have to call you out on this bro? The game has been steadily getting better and better since launch. More and better playlists with better settings that people want (static weapon spawns, preset loadouts, smaller maps, GOOD forge maps) and then ranks were added (just because you don't care, that doesn't mean a lot of other don't as well and that it's not a big deal). Forge Island is sick and was free. Playlists are still being updated and will continue to be for a long ass time. Also, global weapon rebalance is coming really soon.

Come on son, you're making me sound like fucking MS PR here just for reminding all of the shit that's been going on.

Trasher

In either case, I don't see how *I'm* what's wrong.

Save us juices/stinkles/Wahrer/Satan/etc.

That's what's sad. I miss the days before you existed here. :(

Also, here you go, bro:

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Idioms with prepositions", question 10

It's like talking to a brick wall because you never get an answer from her...

This is the advanced level though.

Tawpgun

Things are being done to alleviate some issues, unfortunately a lot of things are impossible to fix or require far too much time and resources.

343's gotta deal with BK's who would cry without their infinity settings. Rip in peace good BTB. It's the only thing missing now. Throwdown settings are ace but a bit too hardcore. Legendary slayer could be halo 4's last chance to win back the fans it lost.

Is HGS Halo Gaf Studios?

Well, let's be honest - in this thread you're talking about a couple of dozen people. We all know each other, I know what people are going to type, you know what I am going to type. If you (I don't mean you literally) are done with Halo 4, then move on, let this thread retain a normal community shape for the people who are still invested in it. Lots of people don't post in here because of the constant negativity, so there's no scientific PH balance here, just tenure.

Are you calling me predictable frank?

kylej

Banned
I for one am amazed that we don't have continual pages of discussion abuot the great new Halo 4 post-release support like invisible ranks, janky Xs on death that are available via a perk, and an outsourced map pack half-finished before launch. Truly nothing but an echo chamber of trolls!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Yeah. I think that's the issue, those "done" with Halo 4 are not done with Halo in general. They still reserve some small shred of hope that they will enjoy halo 5, or get to see ODST 2, Halo Wars 2, etc. I think that's why they remain. I get your points though.

BigShow36

Welp, it's your guys community. If that ends up being the content, it's going to be a lame place for both parties. Echo chamber for one side and a negative mess for the other. If people want an active community thread to function, they're going to have to self police it, or themselves.
If people want an "active community," there needs to be a central interest that they all discuss. "Playing Halo" is no longer the primary interest here, the primary interest is "why do I not like playing a game that I used to love playing." That's where the interest lies, and that's why so many of the posts deal with that.

Community threads can't be willed into existence; something brings people together. That used to be playing Halo and all the intricacies of Halo and how to get better at Halo; it's not anymore. No matter how hard people try to force a "we love Halo" community here, it simply won't happen because there isn't enough interest to sustain it.

You can try and separate forums, but one will die (hint: it's the "we love Halo" forum) and everyone will merely come back here, to the more active one.

You come here and complain about the rampant Halo negativity as if it's the communities fault for not liking Halo anymore. It's not. The community is merely reflecting the state of Halo, as it has always done. If you want this community to return to the fun-loving, "we love Halo" of days past, then fix Halo.

IHaveIce

Banned

Come on, you are right with 2 threads, but this is wrong, just because people are done with Halo 4 they should move on? Yeah be glad people aren't like this because nobody would be there to be hyped for Halo 5 or the next game.

Lots of people still play Halo Reach, other Halo games, read the books or watch Halo streams.. everything of this should be covered in this thread and it is ok.

Or like BigShow said like to discuss the past and what was better. That is all Halo talk.

edit: HGS= HaloGAF seniors? lol

Korosenai

Wrong. You can never know what Wahrer is going to type.

Trasher

So that means nobody plays? Thanks again for your insight.

Oooooooh. That explains it. See this shit? THIS is what's wrong here. This insular, ignorant, seniority bullshit.

It doesn't mean that nobody plays. Why do you have to deal in absolutes? Are you a sith from the shitty Star Wars prequels?

Why you so mad about HGS? HGS just likes good Halo.

TheOddOne

So, I though I might take a stab at the next OT. Instead of it being an overview, I though it might be better to just focus on the more recent updates. Still a work in progress (many more stuff to add and consolidate. Would like to know peoples thoughts about it before I move forward.
jbxD5e0fxe21XM.png

j3k9BZOyt9fki.png

j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
Majestic Map pack released on February 25, featuring 3 all-new small to medium sized maps - Monolith and Skyline are the smaller maps and Landfill is the medium sized map. See footage of them over at HaloWaypoint.
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
343 streamed the Majestic Map pack and you can fully watch it here. It features Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson, Sustain Producer Andy Dudynsky (Better known as Bravo) and Designer David Ellis.
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
New playlist added: Team Action Sack. 4v4 based, featuring the modes Binary Slayer, Lightning CTF, Rockets & Rails and Team Fiesta. HaloWaypoint goes into detail what each mode is.
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
343 details upcoming title update. The following is outlined (This list is not final, according to 343):
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Enabled “X-Markers” on the HUD to designate when and where teammates are killed.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Updated Active Camo to fully reveal players when they fire all weapons.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Reduced the auto aim, magnetism and damage on the Gauss Warthog.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Fixed an issue in which some players at SR-130 did not see their Specialization on their in-game Player Card.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Fixed various issues with ordnance navigation markers.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Fixed various join-in-progress issues with Flood.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Added the ability to make weapon adjustments via backend tuning.​

"If your ears perked up with that last one, you probably understand what this means. Previously added weapon adjustments, such as the Bolt Shot Nerf that went live last month, needed a title update in order to be released. With this title update, we are adding the ability to make weapon adjustments outside of the standard title update process. This will allow us to fine tune and tweak the Halo 4 sandbox as often or not as often as needed." - Halo Bulletin, 3.20.13
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
343 hires Quinn Delhoyo as multiplayer designer (His twitter). Previously of Epic Games, where he worked on Gears of War 3 and Judgment.
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
During Pax East, 343 revealed Castle Map Pack (Trailer, features three medium-to-large maps), Forge Island (Which will be FREE!) and the went into detail about the upcoming title update and competitive ranking system (CSR). Watch the full panel here.
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
HaloWaypoint posted the Pax East Q&A. Here are the more interesting tidbits:
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Halo 4 support] While there are no announced map packs after Castle releases later this spring, we have some cool ideas about future content and support that we’re tinkering with right now.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Universal balance changes to base game] You can expect to see global tweaks to the sandbox much like the adjustment of the Boltshot in the previous title update and the Warthog’s Gauss cannon in this one.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Range of the TU weapon tuning] We have several knobs that we can use when it comes to weapon tuning, a few being auto-aim, projectile accuracy and rate of fire.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[TU weapon tuning in custom games] Unfortunately, the title update does not allow for weapon tuning in custom games.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Enabling/disabling Sprint] Currently there are no plans to add a custom games option to enable/disable sprint. We may look into experimenting with that, though, in a game type or playlist at some point.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Basis of CSR] For the mainstream playlists, your CSR is based on your individual performance in each match and the CSR of those you play against. In select playlists, your CSR will be determined on whether you win or lose as a team, as well as the CSR of your opponents.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[How CSR updates] CSR is based on the previous full game played, so the data from that session is processed, applied to your Halo 4 account and then displayed. You won’t see it update on the fly as you play, but rather between games. So you will basically always be one game ahead of your CSR as you play.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
[Bringing back flag dropping/picking up] Currently there are no plans to add the ability to drop the flag or pick it up manually. But I never say never, so we’ll see.​
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
Waypoint post an extensive look at Castle Map Pack. Also goes into detail how CSR will work:

You will be given a unique rank for each playlist within Halo 4, and the system will use the familiar 1-50 scale. We have been closely monitoring the match results and progression of players behind the scenes to ensure that this new system presents a challenge while still providing an optimal Matchmaking experience. As this is a brand new feature, everyone’s CSR will be set to 0 when it launches. This will allow all players to start on equal footing and enjoy the progression of the 1-50 system.

There are two different ways we calculate your CSR. CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill. Your CSR is dependent upon your personal performance as well as the rank of those you play with. While several playlists will use a win/loss system to determine whether or not you rank up, others will use individual scoring, which will rank you based on your performance against everyone in the match, teammates included. In some playlists, you’ll rank up faster than others – these vary in order to create the most optimal experience for each playlist. Much more info at Waypoint.​
j6xHLaw3JWvsg.png
343 updates about the current state of weapon balance.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Precision Weapon Balance: Our goal of the upcoming balance update is to create an even balance across all precision rifles (DMR, Battle Rifle, Carbine and LightRifle). Our latest tests have included (but are not limited to) rate of fire and damage tweaks to several weapons within this category. Additionally, it is important to create balance amongst all primary weapons, which leads into the next category.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Automatic Weapon Balance: An important part of overall balance is ensuring that each weapon excels within its intended role. As we move the dials to tweak some of the precision weapons, it demands that certain tweaks also be made to automatic weapons, which include the Assault Rifle, Suppressor and more. We are investigating modifying the rate of fire, accuracy and damage on these weapons.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Vehicle Weapon Balance: We have seen many community concerns that certain vehicles may be examples of sandbox elements that could be improved. We are currently looking at tuning some of the weapons that these vehicles have at their disposal in order to increase their usefulness and viability. We greatly value the teamwork (and fun) required in riding around in a Warthog with a buddy, and want to ensure that this and other vehicles have great draw and value.
jTEDAow7qLfQb.png
Also, we are taking a look at many weapons that do not fit within these categories to ensure that the sandbox is providing the most ideal experience possible for all users in all playlists and game modes. As we finish up our internal testing, we look forward to providing further updates on the weapons that will be receiving attention and the specific changes that will be made, once finalized.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would probably rather the conversation in this thread to be overrun with Juices' squad of Reach players talking about how much they're enjoying Reach (or any other Halo games) rather than just shit talking Halo 4 when they haven't played it in months.

I don't think if all the people that stopped playing left overnight that this place would suddenly become positive. I think there are still a lot of Halo fans in the middle ground where Halo 4 is something they can enjoy but also something they wanted a lot more from.

I also think the die hard Halo 4 haters on here stick around because they are still invested in Halo (the wider universe, seeing what happens with Halo 4, seeing the potential for the later games etc), which is fair. I mean ultimately the lukewarm commentary on the game from the fans on forums is partly because the game has only been lukewarm in terms of how well its pleased people. You wont get a passionate fan base until the game makes people passionate about playing it.

Thermite

So, I though I might take a stab at the next OT. Instead of it being an overview, I though it might be better to just focus on the more recent updates. Still a work in progress (many more stuff to add and consolidate. Would like to know peoples thoughts about it before I move forward.

complete shit/10, needs more gifs

Ramirez

If people want an "active community," there needs to be a central interest that they all discuss. "Playing Halo" is no longer the primary interest here, the primary interest is "why do I not like playing a game that I used to love playing." That's where the interest lies, and that's why so many of the posts deal with that.

Community threads can't be willed into existence; something brings people together. That used to be playing Halo and all the intricacies of Halo and how to get better at Halo; it's not anymore. No matter how hard people try to force a "we love Halo" community here, it simply won't happen because there isn't enough interest to sustain it.

You can try and separate forums, but one will die (hint: it's the "we love Halo" forum) and everyone will merely come back here, to the more active one.

You come here and complain about the rampant Halo negativity as if it's the communities fault for not liking Halo anymore. It's not. The community is merely reflecting the state of Halo, as it has always done. If you want this community to return to the fun-loving, "we love Halo" of days past, then fix Halo.

Truth bomb.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Yuuuuuup. A combination of that and the fact that so many are disappointed with Halo 4.

You done good.

That's what's sad. I miss the days before you existed here. :(

Also, here you go, bro:

This is the advanced level though.

And more rays of sunshine (and insults, oh boy!) from OG Wisdom.

Cambridge Dictionary said:
If talking to someone is like talking to a brick wall, the person you are speaking to does not listen.

It doesn't mean that nobody plays. Why do you have to deal in absolutes? Are you a sith from the shitty Star Wars prequels?

When "nobody plays Halo" is listed as the problem with the community, it tells those of us who do play (whether people think we should or not) that we don't matter.
I've got my issues with Halo 4 just like I've got my issues with Reach. I've discussed them here previously, and I've talked about them in lobbies, on stream, twitter, etc. But The Henery basing his argument around a lack of people playing is disingenuous. Whether they're playing H4/H3/Reach/H2/CE/whatever, people here play plenty.

When folks talk about the recent games they played with (or without) a HaloGAF party, it's met with derision, sarcasm, stealth-brag, what-have-you.

Perhaps a better idea would be "not enough people play and here's why". If he's trying to make a serious point, exaggeration is pointless.

Fuchsdh

Anyone interested in actually updating the OT and not making it a joke gets my blessing.

Dammit, I knew it. GIFS will be made.

If you want we can collab. I'll do all the gif shit and you can be the actual substance to the OT.

Perhaps my cat avatar is symbolic of my status as the Shrodinger's Cat of HaloGAF. It's my posts that mean it's impossible to tell if Halo is truly alive or dead.

rip? halo

What threads on GAF are dedicated to talking about not liking a game? Serious question.

Looks good.

Might want to cut down on some of the text. I know news doesn't really get posted anymore in the OTs (I try to post it when I see it)but you may want to just link a post from previous OTs with more info. An example might be, "343 details upcoming weapon balance" and that links to a post with the info.

More pictures pretty pictures would be nice

What threads on GAF are dedicated to talking about not liking a game? Serious question.

Why would there be other threads like that? Halo (and all other games) are objects of their own circumstance, in Halo's circumstance it seems like a lot of the fans who have been with the series for a long time are now lukewarm rather than passionate about the series.

IHaveIce

Banned
Good shit.
dude like 80% of your posts are just random gifs and shit from reddit. don't call out others on post quality
hmmmmmm. :/
Well the DmC OT was full of hate in the beginning, the first Diablo 3 OT were full of rants.. all were games which were really different or changed from their previous entries
Guys...it's a brick wall
Exactly.

TheOddOne

You done good.
Anyone interested in actually updating the OT and not making it a joke gets my blessing.
Thunks.
If you want we can collab. I'll do all the gif shit and you can be the actual substance to the OT.

Perhaps my cat avatar is symbolic of my status as the Shrodinger's Cat of HaloGAF. It's my posts that mean it's impossible to tell if Halo is truly alive or dead.

rip? halo
Just pm crazy cat gifs.

Looks good.

Might want to cut down on some of the text. I know news doesn't really get posted anymore in the OTs (I try to post it when I see it)but you may want to just link a post from previous OTs with more info. An example might be, "343 details upcoming weapon balance" and that links to a post with the info.

More pictures pretty pictures would be nice
I've thought about this a while, but eventually I came to conclusion that it's much nicer to get to the meat of the information fast. Also, it's a easy way to fall back on whenever Waypoint is down.

Trasher

And more rays of sunshine (and insults, oh boy!) from OG Wisdom.

Insults? I'm just saying I enjoyed this community much more long before you joined. Was just using that as a timeframe. You are so defensive.

If talking to someone is like talking to a brick wall, the person you are speaking to does not listen.

Yeah, this must not be the advanced level. That's most likely taken from the 100 level. The 300 level courses go a bit deeper and explain the capabilities of the brick wall aka what it can and can't do. Obviously, as I've stated prior, the capability of being able to respond, let alone use a computer, are lost upon a brick wall.

I would probably rather the conversation in this thread to be overrun with Juices' squad of Reach players talking about how much they're enjoying Reach (or any other Halo games) rather than just shit talking Halo 4 when they haven't played it in months.

Literally talking about shit at this point.

Onikaan

Agreed.

BigShow36

None, there are merely threads dedicated to talking about a certain game. When you have a game like Halo, which has 5+ games in the series, it's going to have an active community even if they don't like the current game. However, they are going to talk about not liking the game. That doesn't mean the thread is "dedicated" to talking about not liking a game, it's just Halo fans talking about the current state of Halo.

vhfive

let us all talk about what we want the thread to be in the thread.

I want the thread to be about people talking about what they want the thread to be about

Fuchsdh

Halo 5 to have brick walls that speak with Gravemind's voice.
Missing the "confirmed", 3/5.

Anyone actually think there's going to be any Halo-related announcement alongside the nextBox unveiling? I feel like they're going to focus more on new IPs and then it's media capabilities regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom