• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

MUYCYSq.png

Here, a properly cut out avatar, just for you.

How does it look?

Whys everyone arguing did everyone miss the part where I saved halo?

The problem is I already saved Halo, so when you re-saved it, it cancelled out and now it sucks again. Also, good Halo is behind a brick wall.

"This thread is a valuable place and should be cherished as a place where valuable discussion is taking place."

Something that people might have said 2 years ago.
That's still true; plenty of intelligent and useful discussion still takes place, it's just often overshadowed by the less-than-civil knee-jerk reaction posts. The trend is that each new halo installment diverges more and more from the average ideals expressed here on HaloGAF, so the tone of discussion follows suit. What is most annoying is all the meta-discussion about it. If you feel a certain member is posting in a way that impacts your enjoyment of posting here, you either ignore them with the feature or ignore them by not responding. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people to do.

That's still true; plenty of intelligent and useful discussion still takes place, it's just often overshadowed by the less-than-civil knee-jerk reaction posts. The trend is that each new halo installment diverges more and more from the average ideals expressed here on HaloGAF, so the tone of discussion follows suit. What is most annoying is all the meta-discussion about it. If you feel a certain member is posting in a way that impacts your enjoyment of posting here, you either ignore them with the feature or ignore them by not responding. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people to do.

Halo 4 brings out the worst in people.

kylej

Banned
yeah I actually felt that weird dropping sensation (like on a roller coaster) as I watched it hang in the air like that. strange

That's still true; plenty of intelligent and useful discussion still takes place, it's just often overshadowed by the less-than-civil knee-jerk reaction posts.

The problem with Halogaf is that it doesn't play Halo. Seriously. When multiple posters in the thread are playing the latest Halo on a frequent basis new discussions open up, you get into the nuance of smaller aspects of the MM setup, gametypes, strats etc. With so few people playing Halo 4 the thread devolves into sweeping, state of the nation broadsides against the direction the series has taken instead of boots on the ground dispatches. That and streams of off-topic. I can't blame anyone here for this because often, Halo 4 can be a real chore to play (particularly when your playing session time is dominated by a map such as Ragnorok as happened the last time I played). It's one of those things, the thread will be jumpstarted again when the next Halo game is announced and the hype cycle begins anew.

I think the absence of video rendering doesn't help, I enjoyed seeing posters' latest exploits in Halo 3 and Reach. Has 343 stated any ambitions to attempt some sort of rendering service?

IHaveIce

Banned
The problem with Halogaf is that it doesn't play Halo. Seriously. When multiple posters in the thread are playing the latest Halo on a frequent basis new discussions open up, you get into the nuance of smaller aspects of the MM setup, gametypes, strats etc. With so few people playing Halo 4 the thread devolves into sweeping, state of the nation broadsides against the direction the series has taken instead of boots on the ground dispatches. That and streams of off-topic. I can't blame anyone here for this because often, Halo 4 can be a real chore to play (particularly when your playing session time is dominated by a map such as Ragnorok as happened the last time I played). It's one of those things, the thread will be kickstarted again when the next Halo game is announced and the hype cycle begins anew.

I think the absence of video rendering doesn't help, I enjoyed seeing posters' latest exploits in Halo 3 and Reach. Has 343 stated any ambitions to attempt some sort of rendering service?
True story, and when somebody says he plays Halo 4 or anything like this he gets "stop playing this xxxx"

But there are still good and insightfull posts on topic, everyone should be able by now to filter out some posts.

They said it wasn't happening. I'm not sure if it's technical limitations or something else.

Also I hope everyone is purchasing Blood Dragon tomorrow. It looks amazing

Fuchsdh

The problem with Halogaf is that it doesn't play Halo. Seriously. When multiple posters in the thread are playing the latest Halo on a frequent basis new discussions open up, you get into the nuance of smaller aspects of the MM setup, gametypes, strats etc. With so few people playing Halo 4 the thread devolves into sweeping, state of the nation broadsides against the direction the series has taken instead of boots on the ground dispatches. That and streams of off-topic. I can't blame anyone here for this because often, Halo 4 can be a real chore to play (particularly when your playing session time is dominated by a map such as Ragnorok as happened the last time I played). It's one of those things, the thread will be kickstarted again when the next Halo game is announced and the hype cycle begins anew.

So the people with no interest in Halo 4 can, you know, stop posting crap in the Halo 4 OT. That seems like a solution that will keep everyone's blood pressure low.

And Blur and BigShow if that's your reaction to someone whose sin is creating a game you don't like, what's your reaction to people who actually have kicked your puppy or burned down your house or something of significance?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The problem with Halogaf is that it doesn't play Halo.

I think the issue is there are a bunch of posters who don't play Halo 4 and are especially enthusiastic about discussing their dislike. The problem is that there's only one Halo Community OT, so the folks who don't like or literally don't even play Halo 4 have one single place to discuss their dissent, and are very dedicated posters, but that's basically creating a binary fight rather than a community thread about Halo 4. Why not split it up? People who actually play Halo 4 have a thread for that, and people who don't have a thread about their issues and Halo games they actually do play?
And then maybe conversations don't devolve into personal attacks or redundant bitching?

I would read and post in both.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think the issue is there are a bunch of posters who don't play Halo 4 and are especially enthusiastic about discussing their dislike. The problem is that there's only one Halo Community OT, so the folks who don't like or literally don't even play Halo 4 have one single place to discuss their dissent, and are very dedicated posters, but that's basically creating a binary fight rather than a community thread about Halo 4. Why not split it up? People who actually play Halo 4 have a thread for that, and people who don't have a thread about their issues and Halo games they actually do play?
And then maybe conversations don't devolve into personal attacks or redundant bitching?

Good point I think we had a real Halo 4 OT at some point, no idea if it is still open.

So what is more likely, Halo 2 HD this fall or more Halo 4 MP content. The population is already really low, and this fall we'll see Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts, they've gotta do something to keep people's minds on Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

We can try to resurrect the Official Halo 4 thread and use that for just people who still play the game. However, I can't promise that I'll post and keep up with it as I do with this one. My brain is just trained that way.

Also, if anyone is on the fence about whether or not they should start playing Dota 2, hopefully this will convince you otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208f17wcNnE

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Problem is, Frank, that a lot of people are in idle mode right now. Juices and co. play a bit of Reach but it seems there's a lot of Halo fans here who play no Halo game currently, yet still want to discuss the franchise.

I play a lot of Halo 4 and enjoy it mostly, and I have gotten a bunch of HaloGaf to join in over the last few weeks so HaloGaf does play the game, but you're correct in your assessment that those who don't play still would like to post their opinions on it, and that all happens here. It's more of a tug of war (with the anti-Halo 4 folks winning) than a community discussion.

Not sure two threads would cure that though. It seems like those against Halo 4 just seem to reiterate the same points, since they have nothing new Halo-related to talk about until we get a new game announced. That's what causes the mini melt-downs.

Trasher

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497808&highlight=halo+4

I thought that was the whole reason two threads were made in the first place. People I think just stopped posting in the other one.

Ugh. "talking to a brick wall" != people don't reply.

You really want to argue about whether a brick wall can talk? Jesus H Christ. This is why this community sucks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Problem is, Frank, that a lot of people are in idle mode right now. Juices and co. play a bit of Reach but it seems there's a lot of Halo fans here who play no Halo game currently, yet still want to discuss the franchise.

I play a lot of Halo 4 and enjoy it mostly, and I have gotten a bunch of HaloGaf to join in over the last few weeks so HaloGaf does play the game, but you're correct in your assessment that those who don't play still would like to post their opinions on it, and that all happens here. It's more of a tug of war (with the anti-Halo 4 folks winning) than a community discussion.

Not sure two threads would cure that though. It seems like those against Halo 4 just seem to reiterate the same points, since they have nothing new Halo-related to talk about until we get a new game announced. That's what causes the mini melt-downs.

Welp, it's your guys community. If that ends up being the content, it's going to be a lame place for both parties. Echo chamber for one side and a negative mess for the other. If people want an active community thread to function, they're going to have to self police it, or themselves.

Goooooood wow, orrrr bad wow?

j-wow.

there was a Halo 4 OT on the gaming side somewhere but I think it got locked or moved to this section.

Tunavi

Banned

There is. The Halo 4 OT is dead because there really isn't much a community on GAF that likes the game. We have made it known what we don't like about 4 and not much is being done to fix it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There is. The Halo 4 OT is dead because there really isn't much a community on GAF that likes the game. We have made it known what we don't like about 4 and not much is being done to fix it.

Well this is kind of wrong, but yeah.

Welp, it's your guys community. If that ends up being the content, it's going to be a lame place for both parties. Echo chamber for one side and a negative mess for the other. If people want an active community thread to function, they're going to have to self police it, or themselves.

Agreed, this community is just in an odd place right now. We've never had a point where a majority wasn't playing Halo. I dislike that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom