• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer

Halo 4 really needs a social playlist. Anytime I try to let someone play Halo 4 on my account to get them interested in the game they get annihilated and hate the game. If 343 wants to bring causal or new people to Halo there needs to be a separation of competitive and social.

Halo 4 really needs a social playlist. Anytime I try to let someone play Halo 4 on my account to get them interested in the game they get annihilated and hate the game. If 343 wants to bring causal or new people to Halo there needs to be a separation of competitive and social.

It's simple, do the ranked/social like in Halo 3 with 5.

Also, going back to traditional Halo would help newcomers. Perks, AAs, loadouts, and ordnance only make the game more random and confusing for people who don't know what they're doing. It has the complete opposite effect of what 343 wanted them to have.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Infinity and BTB are the social playlists.

ic9FpFKH4p0KF.gif

Oh, hey, that's me being useless on the turret.

I'm famous guiz

You cheating on me bro?

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn is on Netflix if anyone cares.

Nice, now they just need some Halo Legends on that bish.

Booties

Banned
Also, going back to traditional Halo would help newcomers. Perks, AAs, loadouts, and ordnance only make the game more random and confusing for people who don't know what they're doing. It has the complete opposite effect of what 343 wanted them to have.

This is pretty true. The beauty of halo and the reason it was ultra popular was because a bunch of bros could pick it up and shoot each other up, plain and simple. I don't think 343 should have copied Halo 2 or 3, but the changes they made were so far away from what made Halo people's game of choice. 343 claims to understand the "three prongs of halo mm" or whatever it's called, but adding onto add-ons muddled everything, made the game flow poorly, and required way too much other fluff to attempt to balance it.

They should consolidate Halo 4 playlists while we're in the subject.

Infinity Slayer
BTB (mix of slayer, infinity, CTF)
Team Throwdown
Team Snipers
SWAT
Dominion (could throw this in BTB)
Team Objective
Rumble Pit

Weekly Double XP Rotation (Grifball, Flood, Multiteam, Regicide, Fiesta)

Team Slayer (4v4) (Throwdown settings no objective)
Team Objective (4v4) (Throwdown settings no slayer)
Squad Skirmish (5v5) (Throwdown settings Slayer+Objective)
Big Team Slayer (8v8) (Throwdown settings slayer only)
Big Team Skirmish (8v8 (Dominion, Big Team Objective)
Legendary Slayer (4v4)
Legendary Objective (4v4)
Team Action Sack (6v6) Slayer, Objective, Snipers, Swords basically all the fluff)
Rumble Pit (Regicide, Throwdown slayer, Objectives ect)
Legendary Slayer FFA (legendary settings slayer only)
Weekly Double Playlist (Week 1= Griffball, Week 2=Flood Week 3=Extraction Week 4=Team Regicide)

Yea n make everyone sr 130 so the game isn't a grind to unlock all the stuff n so I can get the no flinch perk otherwise i don't feel like getting on.

OT, but an interesting interview with a friend of mine who's an Indie Dev (and makes damn fun games). Anyone who is familiar with the MS BS that Team Meat and others went through might find some more fodder here. It's unfortunate that he didn't/couldn't elaborate further on some of the details, but he's fairly blunt throughout the article. Entertaining read at the least.

Xona Games Interview

Striker

They should have had a Training playlist, but right now it wouldn't matter if you had played hundreds (or thousands) of games played already. Another thing would be to make a new account and let him/her play on that. Delete it after they leave.

Best bet is to go into Team Objective or something. Plenty of AR/Mag users who do nothing but Jetpack in the middle of an open field and spray the AR.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No wonder newcomers don't want to stick around. It's clearly not the halo anyone wants.

*Look on Halo 4, sees most popular playlists are BTB and Infinity*

*Looks at Gaf, sees "It's clearly not the halo anyone wants."*

Does not compute.

(I assume you mean it's not the Halo those that play and leave want, because those that keep playing the game obviously want it.)

It's a legitimate tactic.

Frank! Why didn't you join last night like you said!

Gordon

I agree. Having a separate ranked hopper gave me something to jump into if I was feeling 'on-my-game' while still allowing me to get hammered and not ruin my future experience elsewhere.
Infinity and BTB are the social playlists.
Yeah - they just took social, ranked it, and left it at that. We need both.

Here's what I would want to see;
Ranked - No JiP, no random ordnance, no load-outs
Team Slayer [Team BRs, Team LRs, etc.]
Team Objective [Extraction 1-plot, CTF, KOTH, Oddball]
Team Doubles [BR Doubles, LR Doubles, CTF Doubles]
Rumble Pit [FFA BRs, FFA LRs, etc.]
BTB [Team BRs, Team DMRs, Extraction 1-plot, CTF, etc.]
SWAT [SWAT BRs, SWAT Magnums, etc.]
Snipers [Snipers Pro, and a Beam Rifle variant if they fix it]
Grifball [...grifball... lol]

Infinity - unranked, JiP, random ordnance, custom load-outs
Infinity Slayer [Team Infinity Slayer]
Infinity FFA [Infinty Slayer, Regicide]
Infinity BTB [Big Team Infinity Slayer]
Dominion [Dominion]
Multi-team [Team Infinity Slayer, Oddball, King of the Hill]
Flood [Flood]
Action Sack [Shenanigans]

I think something like that would have just as much draw for casual players while still giving them something to sink their teeth into if they decide they're feeling competitive.

It's a legitimate tactic.
I sense a deeper meaning behind this...

Pop

Does not compute.

(I assume you mean it's not the Halo those that play and leave want, because those that keep playing the game obviously want it.)

Why must you do this, every time.

You knew damn well what I meant. Clearly people playing H4 RIGHT NOW are in the two Top playlist. Kids mash A until the a match starts which would be Infinity and BTB has always been popular in Halo. Wasting my damn time responding to this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why must you do this, every time.

You knew damn well what I meant. Clearly people playing H4 RIGHT NOW are in the two Top playlist. Kids mash A until the a match starts which would be Infinity and BTB has always been popular in Halo. Wasting my damn time responding to this.

Easy there, just clarifying. It seems that even when 4 had a population the Infinity playlists were most popular. Makes you wonder if it's just because it says "BTB' and "Slayer."
Should switch up the playlist locations and change the names slightly and see what the numbers say.

Also, beating a dead horse, etc.

Does not compute.

The default Team Slayer and BTB playlists have always been the most popular in any Halo game. My belief is that they could take the Infinity settings out of those two playlists entirely and make them much more vanilla, and the numbers wouldn't change. It's not the "Infinity" that makes those two playlists more populated, it's the "Slayer".

Pop

Guys save your money and don't see Iron man 3. If you're a comic book fan and know at least a little of the universe and the characters, I would avoid seeing the movie.

Wish I did. Highly Disappointed

Gordon

The default Team Slayer and BTB playlists have always been the most popular in any Halo game. My belief is that they could take the Infinity settings out of those two playlists entirely and make them much more vanilla, and the numbers wouldn't change. It's not the "Infinity" that makes those two playlists more populated, it's the "Slayer".
This ^
Objectives have such a bad reputation in MM because of people padding and the lack of real teams. In Reach I absolutely hated the Slayer/Objective mix playlists - I always seemed to find the full party that wanted to hold the objective and slay, and of course some twit and his guests for my team lol - so I always headed to Slayer-only playlists, even if it meant dealing with 100% bloom and AL.
If there is anything that Reach taught us, it should be that people will play a mediocre game for a while because they spent the money on it, but that the poor experience reduces their interest in future titles from the same dev/franchise. If opened discs could be returned, the population would be a lot worse.

kylej

Banned
self imposed ban. weaksauce. buy a new xbox for 150 bucks and stay around here. life's too short to deny yourself the little things that you find enjoyable or at the very least entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom