• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reach and 4 need permanent DLC playlists that exclusively features all the DLC maps.

I wholeheartedly agree. Even if they have crashingly low populations they need to be there as a guarantee that if you buy DLC there will be a dedicated area in which you can play what you purchased. This rip and run strategy of turning over DLC playlists in 4-8 week intervals then moving on to the next pack or scrapping DLC dedicated areas altogether (ala Reach's Premium Battle) is frankly unacceptable from a consumer value standpoint. To Bungie's credit they more or less always made sure that their DLC had a reliable, protected space in which you could play them, whether that was DLC required playlists (Halo 3) or maintaining DLC exclusive lists (their tenure with Reach).

I didn't notice your edit, but still.. it's really a matter of opinion because I had a lot of fun on Breakneck. Fuel Rods and the DMR hardly broke the map as much as you're suggesting. I know you're also against Ragnarok because of the DMR, but I think it plays better with it since long range fights are actually consistent and don't last 3 mins for a 1v1 BR battle.

I usually agree with Havok on these matters but I've got to say I actually had a lot of fun on Reach's version of Headlong. I hate Ragnarok because it's swathes of open marshes in which the DMR stifles movement but Breakneck had a lot of channeled, shorter sightlines. AA's almost always suck but I felt the geometric changes to the map actually improved it (I also thought CA improved Hang Em High, Prisoner and Damnation; Battle Canyon's added tunnels at the back were to the maps detriment though). Despite Reach's BS I still felt Headlong was such a strong map that it stood tall as the games best BTB map, which admittedly wasn't that difficult considering the competition.

Dirtbag

For the first time since launch, I have cancelled live gold.
Feels weird. I'll probably renew it for Splinter Cell in August though.

Very interested in the May 21st reveal

Avalanche is probably my favorite Halo 3 big team map, but that's not saying much at all, and I don't think it's on the same level as:

Sidewinder
Blood Gulch
Hang 'em High
Death Island (PC)
Infinity (PC)
Danger Canyon (PC)
Timberland (PC)
Ice Fields (PC)
Coagulation
Burial Mounds
Waterworks
Zanzibar
Terminal
Exile

I know I'm in the minority for hating Valhalla, but Jesus, f that map. So bland. So much dead, worthless space that offers little tactical advantage. And as fun as it is to snipe people out of mancannons, I can't stand them on Valhalla.

BRs on Heretic, The Pit and Guardian.
Game is better than Halo 4 and vanilla Reach even with the diarrhea BR and netcode.
some sense in this reach shithole, as mediocre as h3 turned out it's still so damn good compared to the other options. better movement, better maps, better nades, no aas, proper ass bumpa jumpa, the pit.

343 tu that shit to get a fov suited for normal people and i'll less than 343 u

I feel like Halo's Big Team has the potential to be fun again but it needs a big revision. I don't know what that would exactly entail, but I've personally had the most fun in Halo PC, Halo 2, and to some extent Invasion. Maybe if they upped the player count and stripped it down to its core components it wouldn't feel as ridiculous. Making vehicles accessible throughout the map would do wonders to help, too - neutral spawn placements for bigger things like tanks would be interesting. That, and making sure infantry has the potential to get around when vehicles aren't available, but still keeping the role of a footsoldier fun - compare Gephyrophobia or Waterworks' infantry combat to that of Vortex or Meltdown, for example.

Mix

BRs on Heretic, The Pit and Guardian.
Game is better than Halo 4 and vanilla Reach even with the diarrhea BR and netcode.
Sorry I had to run, I realized I was running late to work. I had more fun sucking ass in those two games than I have had in any video game in months

Overdoziz

Banned
some sense in this reach shithole, as mediocre as h3 turned out it's still so damn good compared to the other options. better movement, better maps, better nades, no aas, proper ass bumpa jumpa, the pit.

343 tu that shit to get a fov suited for normal people and i'll less than 343 u
Halo 3 does not have better movement.

Pit sucks. Only worth playing in MLG.

Guardian sucks. Again, only worth playing in MLG and Oddball. Hello - 1 BR, 1 Carbine, an OS that one team is handed and a bunch of dumb peek-shoot gameplay.

Blood Gulch sucks. Only worked because of the pistol.

Why praise overrated/mediocre maps? They haven't been good in years. Halo as a whole maybe has under a dozen good maps - most of which are found in CE and Halo 2.

heckfu

Banned
Pit sucks

Guardian sucks

Blood Gulch sucks

Why praise overrated/mediocre maps? They haven't been good in years. Halo as a whole maybe has under a dozen good maps - most of which are found in CE and Halo 2.

Karl, you have room in the bad opinion club for this guy? Pit was such a freaking fun map.

Guardian too!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Pit sucks

Guardian sucks

Blood Gulch sucks

What in the actual fuck

Except for Blood Gulch, that map is bad

Sai-kun

Banned
Pit sucks. Only worth playing in MLG.

Guardian sucks. Again, only worth playing in MLG and Oddball. Hello - 1 BR, 1 Carbine, an OS that one team is handed and a bunch of faggy peek-shoot gameplay.

Blood Gulch sucks. Only worked because of the pistol.

ahahhahahahah your opinions are dumb and so is your vocabulary

W0m9L2N.gif

edit: did u literally edit in a slur to your post? idek

edit: 2 late i got u in my quote trap buddy!

blood gulch is fun with in ce's mechanics. slippy sloppy warthogs, pistol without babby levels of assist, ungimped ctf allowing for solo plays.

edit: oh goat, why you gotta start with the hate words.

heckfu

Banned
"TELEMETRY RECEIVED. ON STANDBY..."

I really wish they had let you use the Target Locator in customs. Hearing those audio cues marked by a huge red ring would have been terrifying.

Especially if you had a full party in a Warthog and it had the moving target...so good.

I feel like Halo's Big Team has the potential to be fun again but it needs a big revision. I don't know what that would exactly entail, but I've personally had the most fun in Halo PC, Halo 2, and to some extent Invasion. Maybe if they upped the player count and stripped it down to its core components it wouldn't feel as ridiculous. Making vehicles accessible throughout the map would do wonders to help, too - neutral spawn placements for bigger things like tanks would be interesting. That, and making sure infantry has the potential to get around when vehicles aren't available, but still keeping the role of a footsoldier fun - compare Gephyrophobia or Waterworks' infantry combat to that of Vortex or Meltdown, for example.

As far as big team is concerned, I 100% agree. PC Halo: CE had some of the best big team maps in the entire franchise. I never understood why Bungie didn't make an effort to simply expand their map library instead of pick and choose with each new title. I think it'd be worth their time and money to give us all those maps. If they have to hire a few extra people or push the release a couple of months, then so be it. They'll make their money back... it's Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 3 is soooooo damn good. I even <3 Snowbound.
"TELEMETRY RECEIVED. ON STANDBY..."

I really wish they had let you use the Target Locator in customs. Hearing those audio cues marked by a huge red ring would have been terrifying.

I thought for awhile it'd be in multiplayer. Would be interesting in BTB. Then again, it'd ruin gametypes like KoTH.

Blood Gulch is definitely bad. Guardian and The Pit are pretty good, though.

[MLG] Pit was an amazing CTF map but I was never a fan in Slayer. I also didn't understand the Guardian love either. No matter how I look at it, it's just a dumbed down Lockout.

I used to like both of them relatively until a bunch of tryhards exposed me to their flaws. There ended up being very few maps in H3 I could play against tryhards without condemning the level design.

Karl2177

Karl, you have room in the bad opinion club for this guy? Pit was such a freaking fun map.

Guardian too!

Why are you asking me about the bad opinion club? You're practically the CEO of it.

But for cereals, Pit was great. Guardian had some issues(mainly the lopsided initial spawns and how campy Snipe was), but could be fun.

Snowbound was a guilty pleasure of mine just because of the Brute Shot. I loved blowing up the Power Core/Comm Stand right outside Brute Shot spawn and getting occasional splatters, nabbing the Brute Shot and just flinging Covenant Crates at people. Dem physics. Everything got too heavy in Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom