• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night I had a dream that someone at 343 leaked a new map pack to me coming out in June that would be 5 remakes of classic maps lol..

Ahaha salty tears of comic book fanboys, delicious.

Iron Man 3 was rad.

I was going to comment on his silly post last night, but figured it wasn't worth it. Definitely agree with you and IHaveIce.

The trailers were awesome for that reason. Remember when trailers didn't spoil movies and left somethings as a surprise? Remember when nobody knew what the hell Cloverfield was and they never revealed the monster until people saw the movie themselves? That's how you do trailers; it's rare to see movies take bold stances on something different.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and it was way better than Iron Man 2. How about that scene where
he saves the people from the airplane?
Incredible.
Best saving-people scene in any Iron Man.
Sure some things were kinda iffy, but overall it was a pretty damn good super hero movie.

I was bummed Halo 4 didn't have anything like this:

xuvsmBa.jpg

I mean, we are on this isolated alien planet created by Forerunners... I was really hoping to experience a living, unique ecosystem. The planet provided cool visuals, but I would really like to see something more unique, alien. Also, speaking of it being a Forerunner planet, where the fuck were these guys:

Not only are they supposedly living on the Infinity, they should have been on Requiem as well.

Fuchsdh

I'd love for a Halo ecosystem, but the problem is other parts of the game are always going to take precedence over figuring out pathing, etc.

G17

Again I've encountered the bug where your entire screen is blurred and the countdown is stuck at 0 while you are in a match. I didn't want to quit the match but you really can't see a thing.

Why hasn't 343 fixed it already..

I see them quite a bit in infinity slayer. But then again I'm almost always playing in a party of 4 who have the maps.

I see them all the time in infinity slayer. I think larger parties help.

Not only are they supposedly living on the Infinity, they should have been on Requiem as well.

There are only two on the Infinity and Requiem have birds,fungus and sentinels, you can see some forerunners areas were starting to deteriorate without the care of the huragok.

Did Bungie explained if the Halos could had big animals and insects in the Halos ecosystem?

JackHerer

Pretty much. Throwdown actually has a lot of Majestic gametypes too. Definitely worth picking up if you like smaller maps

I've only played Skyline in throwdown twice since they added them in V3 and I play almost everyday. Is Monolith even in it?

I think they should take them out and put something else in (a forge map). Skyline is great but if no one has the maps it's not worth the spot it takes up in the gametype rotation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've only played Skyline in throwdown twice since they added them in V3 and I play almost everyday. Is Monolith even in it?

I think they should take them out and put something else in (a forge map). Skyline is great but if no one has the maps it's not worth the spot it takes up in the gametype rotation.

Yea Monolith is in.

It's a tough situation. You would hope that more people would buy the maps to play them in Throwdown rather than taking them out because not everyone has them.

Speaking of DLC, they really need some DLC required playlists already.. Crazy how people spend money on these things and can only play them for such a limited time. Sucks too because the 9 DLC maps are way better than the on-disc maps IMO.

You'd figure by now there would be a DLC filter in Halo Matchmaking ;\

-EDIT-

I hope 343 makes another small map pack, I know they are supposedly done, but Halo 4 really needs more small maps. The only good ones are Haven, Skyline, and Monolith.

Epic is apparently going to make more small maps outside the original season pass because Gears fans wanted them. Why can't 343 do the same?

I refuse to support that game anymore. The only reason I bought it was for the free 1600 points you get from the Microsoft store.

I hope 343 makes another small map pack, I know they are supposedly done, but Halo 4 really needs more small maps. The only good ones are Haven, Skyline, and Monolith.

Epic is apparently going to make more small maps outside the original season pass because Gears fans wanted them. Why can't 343 do the same?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Didn't 343 say they are still going to release more content for Halo 4, just not that they've announced yet?

Maybe a classic map pack . blood gulch, sidewinder,ivory tower,etc

I honestly can't believe we've never had a Sidewinder remake. I am probably in the minority by saying that it deserved a remake more than Blood Gulch (which got two, four if you count Valhalla and Ragnarok).

That said, I'd prefer to see the Sidewinder remake in a Halo game I actually care to play a lot, so if it was in 4, I'd be a little disappointed.

MaGlock

Anybody who still plays regularly hit me up on live my friends abandoned this game months ago need some people to play with,my GT: PFI Deezy

Gui_PT

I think some remakes would be fun. Maybe not stuff that could be easily remade, though. I want stuff like Death Island, Danger Canyon, Infinity, and Ice Fields.

I don't know man. The gameplay is so different, we'll never get an actual decent remake.
DLC maps management into the playlists is always awful and those terrible achievements they come up with are really disappointing.

If they managed to recreate the feel for those old maps and actually have them appear often in MM after a couple of weeks, I'd be interested.

I'm cool with maps that spiritual successors like Lockout and Guardian, but direct remakes would not work in Halo 4 with sprint and AAs, I thought we learned this already with the Anniversary Map Pack?

I don't know man. The gameplay is so different, we'll never get an actual decent remake.
DLC maps management into the playlists is always awful and those terrible achievements they come up with are really disappointing.

If they managed to recreate the feel for those old maps and actually have them appear often in MM after a couple of weeks, I'd be interested.

But just think, surely the remake will be a lot better than any of the on-disc maps. You gonna tell me that a Halo 2 BTB remake won't play better than the Halo 4 BTB maps?

I'm cool with maps that spiritual successors like Lockout and Guardian, but direct remakes would not work in Halo 4 with sprint and AAs, I thought we learned this already with the Anniversary Map Pack?

I have no idea what you're talking about seeing as how each of those maps were better than any other Reach map.

-EDIT-

If Halo 4 shipped with a best of Halo 1/2 maps as its selection, then this game would be in much better shape IMO.

Eh. The DMR's range, binary rifle, gauss hog, camo, jetpack.. blerghsdgbkjsfhgsdfg

Oh and you think they'd actually ever do that?

The aimbot auto aim/magnetism, the ezZz Snipers, Gauss Hog, double shot, massive host advantage, modders, etc. blerghsdgbkjsfhgsdfg

All things that existed in Halo 2 yet that didn't stop the game from being incredible. The additions to later Halo games would hardly "break" the maps as some people like to be dramatic about.

Gui_PT

The aimbot auto aim/magnetism, the ezZz Snipers, Gauss Hog, double shot, massive host advantage, modders, etc. blerghsdgbkjsfhgsdfg

All things that existed in Halo 2 yet that didn't stop the game from being incredible. The additions to later Halo games would hardly "break" the maps as some people like to be dramatic about.

1v1 me

Havok

So, is it just me or did they decrease the XP rewards for challenges?
They did. I don't think their inflation experiment had the effect on player retention that they hoped.

They've apparently also instituted a Spartan Ops daily along with its Double XP, probably to help the population problems it was running into.

Thing is, stuff like the Jetpack, altered player traits, DMR range, and Fuel Rod Banshee did break maps like Breakneck in Reach. That thing was a pale shadow compared to the original, largely because the gameplay additions didn't mesh with its original design. Anniversary Classic was novel because of the attempt at making classic settings, but Anniversary Squad was just sad. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play Waterworks where players at mid could five shot players at the Banshee port with ease.

I have no idea what you're talking about seeing as how each of those maps were better than any other Reach map.

In Halo 2 and CE they were amazing maps, but they didn't play well in Reach with AAs and the slow player movement. If Halo is going to stick with AAs I'd rather them try to build maps that are designed with those in mind over bringing back old maps that were designed for an entirely different version of Halo.

Thing is, stuff like the Jetpack, DMR range, and Fuel Rod Banshee did break maps like Headlong in Reach. That thing was a shadow of its former self. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play Waterworks where players at mid could five shot players in at the Banshee port.

While you're saying it broke the map, I'm saying that it was still way more fun than Boneyard.

Jet Packs may break maps, but I'd rather use Jet Packs on a fun map than a crappy map if it's going to be broken no matter what.

Ae7ye5g.gif

-EDIT-

In Halo 2 and CE they were amazing maps, but they didn't play well in Reach with AAs and the slow player movement. If Halo is going to stick with AAs I'd rather them try to build maps that are designed with those in mind over bringing back old maps that were designed for an entirely different version of Halo.

Headlong was a fun map for things like Jet Pack and other AA's. If they created that map in Halo 4 you guys probably would've been hyped about it if it was erased from our H2 memories.

Can you guys give me some examples then of maps that use Jet Packs and Camo AA's well? lol

Mix

Hahaha I played last night until about 4:30 and crashed and woke up twenty minutes ago. I don't know what what

Havok

While you're saying it broke the map, I'm saying that it was still way more fun than Boneyard.

Jet Packs may break maps, but I'd rather use Jet Packs on a fun map than a crappy map if it's going to be broken no matter what.
Which is why I replied to the specific post you made saying those things don't break the map. At this point in the game's life, I'd probably rather have them try something new that takes those new elements into account from day one of their design than have them halfassedly shove a new, jetpacking square peg into a classic round hole, because I know the entire time I was playing Breakneck I was just thinking about how much better it was before a jetpacker could bypass 90% of the defensive base and was able to associate specific memories to that complaint. It's maybe more of a gamble to try and make a new map, but safe bets based on past quality haven't always worked out all that well in Halo's past either (Hey, Blackout. What's up, Hemorrhage?). You're relying on them to be faithful to the original design even with all the new stuff, which is often just as much of a gamble on quality as them trying to start from scratch. Look at it this way: the best remakes (ex: Heretic, Warlock) were faithful in large part because they didn't try to shove in all the new stuff where it didn't belong. With a loadout system, you can't have that kind of QC anymore.

Boneyard is a pathetic quality bar. If that's all we're trying to beat, it wouldn't be difficult. Even a decent effort is a masterpiece when compared to One Flag Boneyard.

Headlong was a fun map for things like Jet Pack and other AA's.
...oh. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Which is why I replied to the specific post you made saying those things don't break the map. At this point in the game's life, I'd probably rather have them try something new that takes those new elements into account from day one of their design than have them halfassedly shove a new, jetpacking square peg into a classic round hole, because I know the entire time I was playing Breakneck I was just thinking about how much better it was before a jetpacker could bypass 90% of the defensive base and was able to associate specific memories to that complaint. It's maybe more of a gamble to try and make a new map, but safe bets based on past quality haven't always worked out all that well in Halo's past either (Hey, Blackout. What's up, Hemorrhage?). You're relying on them to be faithful to the original design even with all the new stuff, which is often just as much of a gamble on quality as them trying to start from scratch. Look at it this way: the best remakes (ex: Heretic, Warlock) were faithful in large part because they didn't try to shove in all the new stuff where it didn't belong. With a loadout system, you can't have that kind of QC anymore.

I didn't notice your edit, but still.. it's really a matter of opinion because I had a lot of fun on Breakneck. Fuel Rods and the DMR hardly broke the map as much as you're suggesting. I know you're also against Ragnarok because of the DMR, but I think it plays better with it since long range fights are actually consistent and don't last 3 mins for a 1v1 BR battle.

Boneyard is a pathetic quality bar. If that's all we're trying to beat, it wouldn't be difficult. Even a decent effort is a masterpiece when compared to One Flag Boneyard.

Gotta start somewhere. You can't shoot for the stars when all you're producing is Boneyard and The Cage :b

...oh. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

fb29oyu.gif

-EDIT-

Regarding the new things like AA's, I don't know man.. Give me some examples of maps that play great with the Jet Pack or Camo. Those AA's are just broken by nature because you can spawn with them, so no map is going to have great gameplay that's "built" around them like some people suggest.

Also, I'm not saying we should only get remakes.. I'm simply pointing out that remakes aren't as bad as people make them out to be, especially when the new maps fail in comparison.

Obscured

For some of the best maps that people remember, what was it about those maps that 'worked' where as future iterations of the gameplay then break those maps?

I've seen and can somewhat understand the DMR or light rifle rendering large open areas of the maps unusable (or at least really bad idea to run out aimlessly, but not sure when that approach ever works out well). But then you see a map like skyline, which is pretty small but seems to work with sprint. I recall when halo 3 came out a lot of hate directed toward guardian and the pit, but now they seem to be favorites. My complaint about some new maps is they sometimes feel random without easily identifiable areas. In Reach some of them felt too large, which is why for me squad slayer seemed perfect, seemed to fit the maps better.

It almost sounds like sometime people are essentially saying that with the current gameplay that exists there is no way to actually make a 'good' map, which is something I don't think I can agree with, so really curious what people think makes a map good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom