• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True! Nothing like sub-par community made maps injecting some livelihood into MM!

It's easy to hate on maps you've never played on/seen/heard of.

365e793ea0773c238b17c5940b1a3b33.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would be totally okay with the team that handled ME3 MP making a Halo squad based shooter. ME3's MP was probably the best thing to come out of the game. It's not really that innovative or anything either, but the business model and the way they approached designing co-op created this addictive quality. Though I think generally 343 would be competent enough to do that in the Halo framework given the lack of biotics, etc.

The number of forge maps in reach made that game worse - halo 4 is going down the same dark road :(

I hope they don't think it's ok to make sub par disk maps cos they can fill the gap with forge creations.

In a perfect world

CoD: Arcade Shooter
Halo: Arena Shooter
Both BF series: Big Team shooter
Rainbow Six: Slow Tactical Shooter

They all have a purpose to be on the market and are distinctly different.

Seems like Respawn is going for a Cod/BF/ChromeHounds thing which is cool.

Halo has the potential to be all of those. The winner (in my eyes at least) will be whoever creates the next evolution of Custom Games and Matchmaking.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yes Pinnacle, Uncaged, Midas, Craigmire, Ellul are all great and stuff.

JK, Zealot, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection, Boardwalk all shit on all those Forge maps.

First of all I didn't say all forge maps are better, second it is not my fault you play the crap playlists in Reach where this shit exists.

Pit, Sanctuary and almost every forge map in the MLG playlist is better than the ones listed by you (except Zealot and maybe Countdown)

The number of forge maps in reach made that game worse - halo 4 is going down the same dark road :(

I hope they don't think it's ok to make sub par disk maps cos they can fill the gap with forge creations.

Base maps leave a lot of gaps in terms of what people wanted. DLC, while good, introduces a paywall. Forge maps just work. Previous problems of not knowing where weapons spawn are alleviated with the Ordnance UI.

People complained about the base maps. You can't really complain to see fresh maps enter the pool.

N they said they would be seperated into Community playlist and normal disc maps and wouldnt go down the same road as Reach.

Yet now they are adding a ton of Forge maps into every playlist.

Base maps leave a lot of gaps in terms of what people wanted. DLC, while good, introduces a paywall. Forge maps just work. Previous problems of not knowing where weapons spawn are alleviated with the Ordnance UI.

People complained about the base maps. You can't really complain to see fresh maps enter the pool.

I can complain that the base maps are not good enough
I can also complain about the fact forge maps generally have a lower quality bar than what I would expect from developer made maps
I can also complain that 343 seem content to release sub par disk maps because they can rely on forge later

Not saying that there is a easy answer of course - I just hope they dont make the same mistake next time

u4iX

Remember when DLC became free after a certain amount of time so that you could actually play matchmaking games with the maps you paid for?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Overdoziz

Banned
If you're going to flood matchmaking with Forge maps at least have the decency to turn Forge mode into a proper map creator instead of a gray LEGO blocks simulator.

I can complain that the base maps are not good enough
I can also complain about the fact forge maps generally have a lower quality bar than what I would expect from developer made maps
I can also complain that 343 seem content to release sub par disk maps because they can rely on forge later

Forge maps are, for the most part, symmetrical. Quality immediately surpasses the disk maps.

Your move.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Simplex alone is better than (barring Haven, which it's about equal with) every disc map, and probably even the Majestic maps.

wwm0nkey

Remember when DLC became free after a certain amount of time so that you could actually play matchmaking games with the maps you paid for?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Wonder if that thing about Achievements means the DLC thing will change too. Most DLC is still paid for because of that stupid achievement thing where if the DLC has them it has to be paid for.

Forge maps are, for the most part, symmetrical. Quality immediately surpasses the disk maps.

Your move.

It's easy to surpass the disk maps when the disk maps suck so much.

I also won't say there's a easy answer to the maps problem but personally I think halo 4 is a lost cause - I just hope they don't make the same mistake next time. I really hope they don't think that they can make crappy maps and plug the gap with forge later.

Let's actually play chess rather than debate over how low the quality bar can be set before we get disinterested if you want to take moves

I still can't believe that they want to boost the automatic weapons, did they play any FFA list? On most maps everyone uses a dumb AR and you getm elted from everywhere.
The most important part of the update to the automatic rifles is that it requires you to be more accurate, which on paper is the way it always should have been.

Yes Pinnacle, Uncaged, Midas, Craigmire, Ellul are all great and stuff.

JK, Zealot, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection, Boardwalk all shit on all those Forge maps.
Scythe and Simplex are better maps than at least 3 of the default 4v4 Halo 4 maps. But you're speaking of Reach, where most Forge maps in matchmaking were terrible.

What do you guys think is HaloGAF's secret to being the best community on GAF? I think it's that we have a good mixture of old school, middle school and then the rest.

One of the main reasons I was drawn to this community was that it seemed like a bunch of friends just posted on a gaming forum. And I think that's what makes it the best.

Coming from a place like Gametrailers, this was a huge thing for me.

It's easy to surpass the disk maps when the disk maps suck so much.

I also won't say there's a easy answer to the maps problem but personally I think halo 4 is a lost cause - I just hope they don't make the same mistake next time. I really hope they don't think that they can make crappy maps and plug the gap with forge later.

Let's actually play chess rather than debate over how low the quality bar can be set before we get disinterested if you want to take moves

But you're dismissing them all. You haven't played them and you're telling me 343 can't win. Discussion over. There is literally nothing they can do. You don't like Halo 4 and care not for what 343 is trying to do. Mistakes can be learned prior to Halo 5.

So I don't play anything in H4 outside of Throwdown, SWAT, and Action Sack, and one of my friends told me all the maps in every playlist of set ordnance drops now instead of random? Is this true? I don't remember reading this anywhere.

The only reason Simplex is great is because its competing with TWO small maps that ARENT small.

Haven is a bit large for 4v4 and so is Abandon. All maps are huge in Halo 4 because you can have SPRINT and JETPACK at the same time. Which is a really good reason why Halo Reach is better than Halo 4.

Also just because the bar quality is low doesnt mean Forge maps dont suck. It means the saying Ignorance is bliss is a saying for a reason, because its true. You guys are sifting through shit looking for creamy deliciousness but you're coming out with nuggets in between your teeth at every turn.

Yes congrats you get a small arena map and its instantly better, I'd bet if they actually made some small arena maps the default ones would be better.

So lets not get Forge maps in MM but lets get a FREE small map pack that we deserve. Where is the 4v4 maps 343?

Halo 4 has 16! playlists with a high of 8000 players and a low of 358 (DLC playlist!) and a average of about 1500 player per playlist. Cut the fluff. Trim the fat.

Fuchsdh

Ok people, we could complain about Halo 4's UI until the heat death of the universe, but it has come to my attention that the absolute worst UI in a AAA title this generation has to be Skyrim's maps. How you design something that makes navigating *worse* than without using it, and actively kills my desire to explore in an open world game, is beyond me.

Its only lost about 89% of its user base, but I think we should all give 343 a round of applause for everything they've done. They'll get it right next time.

The question is how much of that is due to franchise fatigue and how much is due to a badly designed game? To me, Halo4 is not a bad game. It has very good SP, coop and MP components. Sure, they aren't perfect but they're also far from being bad. No different than any other game out there and to be quite honest, still much better than most.

To me, going back to the classic Halo formula will change nothing with the user base. I believe the main MC franchise needs a serious rest. Spawn some new games with new characters so you can be a little more innovative and bring it into a new direction. Cause classic Halo although appealing in this forum wont bring the game back to top spot. Not gonna happen.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok while I still stand by my point that Simplex is fantastic( not only for Halo 4 standards, of course I talk about Throwdown settings.)
The new maps in Swat suck. Horrible spawns, the brown map has no colour callouts and you really have no idea where you are( the map was already bad in FFA) and Plaza is DMR campfest or they spawn behind you :(

The question is how much of that is due to franchise fatigue and how much is due to a badly designed game? To me, Halo4 is not a bad game. It has very good SP, coop and MP components. Sure, they aren't perfect but they're also far from being bad. No different than any other game out there and to be quite honest, still much better than most.

To me, going back to the classic Halo formula will change nothing with the user base. I believe the main MC franchise needs a serious rest. Spawn some new games with new characters so you can be a little more innovative and bring it into a new direction. Cause classic Halo although appealing in this forum wont bring the game back to top spot. Not gonna happen.

Halo Fatigue is a myth. Look at the numbers 343 is always posting and sales on this game.

People quit because its not a great game. Its not a good Halo at all. N they are fixing and updating the wrong things and when they do do updates, a lot of times they are messed up...Theres a ton more reasons to but this is the simple facts.

I really hope they go back to Halo basics and create some strict guidelines to what Halo is. I also hope they get a bigger sustain team and I get some part in it. Otherwise stuff wont get fixed. Basically Reach and Halo 4 is proof this isnt what Halo fans want. Unless they 180 things are not going to get better. They just arent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom