• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
man i genuinely cant even remember what a halo map called meltdown looks like. weird

I think it only comes up in btb and invasion so you might not have played it much if at all.

I know I have barely played meltdown and vortex cos they are only really btb/ invasion maps

Oh btw hydra the one thing I totally forgot to say is that If they made a classic playlist I would totally be all over classic maps remade in forge for that - I think forge has it's time and place - I guess I also concede that halo 4 needs more 4v4 maps but man they better not make every halo 5 map btb focused like they did with halo 4 just cos they can later fall back on forge. It's lazy/ bad decisions on their part that makes forge maps a necessity and it's hardly a good thing.

Ramirez

I didn't want you to leave again.

THE-RAP-BATTLE.gif

I think it only comes up in btb and invasion so you might not have played it much if at all.

I know I have barely played meltdown and vortex cos they are only really btb/ invasion maps

Map Quality in H4 is really bad. Vortex and Meltdown are pretty horrible. They both have too many attack paths and ultimately it ends up people running around like morons because unlike previous games actually worth while routes don't exist.

After playing BTB for the last 2 days It seems only Longbow and Exile (and to a lesser degree Ragnarok) don't suffer from this because they have that "Choke point" or "Hot Area"

Settler has a action zone as well but its got terrible surrounding terrain and the action zone becomes a spawn camping haven.

BTB is on the lower end of the scale but when I focus less on the fluff features the bad maps really stand out.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
I thought forge wasn't grey anymore. Any opinions on the new maps they've added aside from there existence?
Forge colors are not as bad as Reach but maps can still look dull if not well forged.

In my understanding bandwidth is a determining factor for not having texture switching in forge but I think that the maps could look way more different from each others with filters.

Now filters are unplayable with and meant for screenshots but they could make forge maps more original. One example would be Juicy filter with a little less saturation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
At one point the daily and weekly challenges were actually worth doing, why did the point values drop so much? No one cares about an 800 XP "challenge" when you get three times that in one match...

Ramirez

At one point the daily and weekly challenges were actually worth doing, why did the point values drop so much? No one cares about an 800 XP "challenge" when you get three times that in one match...

Probably because they realized how quickly everyone would max out? I've played a miniscule amount of games and I'm already close to 100...

kylej

Banned
the solution to the daily challenge problem, like most things involving halo 4, is to not play halo 4. play metal gear solid 3 instead.

Homeboyd

I don't complain about the game much, but I have to say, the challenge system in halo 4 is about 12 steps back from Reach. From the variety, to the difficulty, to the payouts... I don't even look at them at all. I always checked them in Reach... Some were actually fun to complete.

Havok

Probably because they realized how quickly everyone would max out? I've played a miniscule amount of games and I'm already close to 100...
That was actually why they increased them in the first place - Brad Welch mentioned that they wanted to flatten out the progression system with CSR taking up the slack. Personally, I think they threw the commendation and challenge system under the bus by making the progression so fast in the first place (a necessary move when you put gameplay items in progression, what a stellar idea), but that's just me.

Well "get two multikills in one match" is not a challenge and really is pointless...
You shouldn't be looking for actual challenges from that system, the challenges we've seen in the last few months are much better than the alternative. The name is nice shorthand, but they couldn't put "Short-term day-to-day player retention Skinner box" in a video game and be taken seriously. The payouts are crap at the moment, but the second they start putting things that are actually challenging in there is when people start to actively act like assholes to fill a stupid bar (see: player behavior during the Perfection challenge days). A bunch of stuff that people are going to get no matter what is better than challenges that ruin the experience for teammates.
I don't complain about the game much, but I have to say, the challenge system in halo 4 is about 12 steps back from Reach. From the variety, to the difficulty, to the payouts... I don't even look at them at all. I always checked them in Reach... Some were actually fun to complete.
Yeah, there are just parts that don't mesh. A short progression system because of the gameplay unlocks means that challenges and commendations don't matter after a couple months. Separating the challenges into categories by mode means that there's less variety on a day to day basis since you're only seeing two dailies and the rest are weekly or monthly (what a joke the monthly has been), none of which are particularly interesting. Reach having a grab bag style challenge system with a long progression encouraged variety, though the progression didn't have enough milestones to be successful once you hit Hero or so.

Im a Halo fan and ive been playing a shitmore of BO2 rather than Halo just because they make that so much fun in that game. So yeah, some gamers do what that.

You know what would make weapon/perk unlocks 10x more fun in Halo 5?

If they didn't exist. They just don't work in every game.

But I thought fans wanted gameplay impacting progression?!?

LoL, yea the fans wanted a ranking system so when you progressed the gameplay became harder.

I like how 343 twists ranking system into the words "gameplay impacting progression" and then creates gameplay unlocks.

So Brad w/ AGL says that basically there will be no events to the west in any way shape or form. Why? Because there are no facilities big enough (complete bullshit) & I quote, "Knoxville is centrally located."

Allow me to illustrate the centrality of Knoxville for the non-Americans:

2LJySAL.png

Ghazi

So Brad w/ AGL says that basically there will be no events to the west in any way shape or form. Why? Because there are no facilities big enough (complete bullshit) & I quote, "Knoxville is centrally located."

2LJySAL.png

TN is king.

LoL, yea the fans wanted a ranking system so when you progressed the gameplay became harder.

I like how 343 twists ranking system into the words "gameplay impacting progression" and then creates gameplay unlocks.

Karl2177

2LJySAL.png

Centrally located in terms of population, not necessarily geography.

Mean location based on population density.
640px-US_Mean_Center_of_Population_1790-2010.PNG

Knoxville isn't too far off from that.

Fuchsdh

Worst Halo BTB map ever.

edit: People who were on the edge of getting Blood Dragon need to see this.

I like Meltdown, but it's kind of a marriage of Ice Fields and Infinity, which on their own merits were better maps.

...Come to think of it all of Halo PC's BTB maps were pretty awesome. Loved Geryphobia and Danger Island especially.

Centrally located in terms of population, not necessarily geography.

Mean location based on EST population density.

Knoxville isn't too far off from that.

FTFY.

It's centrally located for those in EST both by population and geography. Meanwhile, for the other 150 million people in the country (minus Alaska / Hawaii I suppose) in the other 3 main time zones, it is quite prohibitive unless they have sponsors or are one of the "top teams". Not to mention, there's no way it's worth it for anyone outside that area to go spectate.

MLG did the same crap too. They'd be all disappointed when the one (1) event on the west coast didn't sell as well. Well no shit. Turns out people in the east don't want to travel that far either. Not to mention since they couldn't afford to go to as many of the events because of the location, less teams attended from west coast in general. It wasn't worth it to go to just the one event. But oddly enough, go somewhere like Dallas and people show up from everywhere.

I understand it's all about funds and I'm willing to give AGL a pass on the traveling for now since they're still pretty small, but like usual, don't make shit up (no place big enough my ass).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom