• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Red xs now? I never understood the lack of inclusion in the first place. Like I said, shit was made by "people who love Halo? "Pffft. Take shit out that makes Halo awesome, claim to love Halo, kiss my ass.

Did you happen to read Frank's explanation? They weren't removed just for the hell of it.

Of all the things in 4 flinch has to be one of the worst mechanics. You already descope in Halo why something else on top of that? I just find the design decisions in that game fucking incomprehensible.

You don't descope in Halo 4. They added flinch to try an alternative to descoping. I agree, it's bad though. I don't like descoping either. Hmm.

heckfu

Banned
I wish Heckfu was coming. We could totally record a podcast then. Or maybe I could record one with Ghostayame, Ninja and Greenskull. That could be fun.

If you do that plan, can you just print out a picture of me to include in the video? Thx.

Actually yeah, frame a picture of me and carry it around with you!

this is my ego talking

Did you happen to read Frank's explanation? They weren't removed just for the hell of it.

You don't descope in Halo 4. They added flinch to try an alternative to descoping. I agree, it's bad though. I don't like descoping either. Hmm.

Why did that explanation come so late? 6 months into the game it's now back? I just whatever. Halo 4. Whoopy dee doo.

Sorry I worded that wrong. The game already had a mechanic to deal with being shot at. I don't understand adding something new.

Has a timetable for the next update been announced? I saw all them rumblings about weapon tweaks and a 4-shot BR, but I couldn't load the bulletin for whatever reason.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If you do that plan, can you just print out a picture of me to include in the video? Thx.

Actually yeah, frame a picture of me and carry it around with you!

this is my ego talking

Well I already have a picture of you on my desk so I'll just bring that with me

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why did that explanation come so late?

Sorry I worded that wrong. The game already had a mechanic to deal with being shot at. I don't understand adding something new.

I think Frank's mentioned it a few times before. Here it is if you were curious:

there were wide ranging issues that cropped up late as we neared launch and they were deeply rooted (UI, function, rendering, saves, saved films etc etc) and the fix last time introduced a new error, which is why they basically didn't function properly at all. So a small team was carved off to address the problem as a single issue instead of as a suite of minor fixes.

To me it's actually a really big deal and I'd be interested to know how people think the information 'feels' after a bunch of games. An example of how it's changed things for me that isn't even tactical - in SWAT on levels with short or frequently interrupted sight lines, I no longer feel as exposed or frustrated and even though its not literally true, I feel like I'm sort of aware where danger is.

There are obviously dozens of scenarios where they are directly helpful, but for me the general sense of situational awareness they provide is a big deal.

As for descoping, yeah I don't know. A bunch of people hated descoping with the DMR (me!) so they tried something new. It didn't work out well. I just use the "no flinch" "perk" now. Not sure if there's an alternative to flinch and decope, because I hate both.

Descoping is 100x better than flinch.

Ehhhh, both suck. I HATED DMR battles in Reach on big maps because it was just both of you alternating taking a shot and descoping the enemy, then him/her taking a shot and descoping you until someone died. My reticle is on my damn helmet visor, why is it zooming out when hit?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
trozul6.gif

senador

Banned
I haven't played Halo 4 since December, but I think I actually prefer flinch. Will have to try again and see. I always found descoping to be frustrating so I dunno.

Probably true. I just want to know what their plans are for Legendary Slayer. I want to play regular Slayer in H4 but IS has too much crap for me to play more than two or three games without getting annoyed.

I agree. Problem is it won't be the default slayer playlist like it should have been from day one.

It will have a pathetic population even if it is a great mode, look at Throwdown as an example.

Infinity Slayer should have been an alternative option like SWAT or Snipers, while Team Slayer or Legendary as they want to call it should have been the top option on the list from day 1.

I agree. Problem is it won't be the default slayer playlist like it should have been from day one.

It will have a pathetic population even if it is a great mode, look at Throwdown as an example.

Infinity Slayer should have been an alternative option like SWAT or Snipers, while Team Slayer or Legendary as they want to call it should have been the top option on the list from day 1.

That's why I hope LS replaces IS.

Overdoziz

Banned
Descoping adds a great dynamic to battles at medium to long range. I love coming back in a fight because I manage to keep my opponent zoomed out. Flinch is just frustrating.

BigShow36

As for descoping, yeah I don't know. A bunch of people hated descoping with the DMR (me!) so they tried something new. It didn't work out well. I just use the "no flinch" "perk" now. Not sure if there's an alternative to flinch and decope, because I hate both.

Ehhhh, both suck. I HATED DMR battles in Reach on big maps because it was just both of you alternating taking a shot and descoping the enemy, then him/her taking a shot and descoping you until someone died. My reticle is on my damn helmet visor, why is it zooming out when hit?

This is a prime example of the decreased shooting skill gap bleeding into/ruining other aspects of the game. The reason long-range DRM battles were/are so problematic isn't because of the descoping mechanic, it's because its too fucking easy. If they made it more diffucult to land shots via less aim assist and/or increased strafe speed, there would be no need to tinker with the flinch mechanic garbage. It would fix itself; less landed shots at long range means less scoping-descoping-scoping-descoping back and forth battles.

In classic Halo-developer fashion, 343 chose to address a resultant issue (back and forth scoping) rather than the parent issue (precision weapons are too easy to use) and made the game more frustrating.

heckfu

Banned
Descoping adds a great dynamic to battles at medium to long range. I love coming back in a fight because I manage to keep my opponent zoomed out. Flinch is just frustrating.

I think I got way more frustrated at descoping but i'm bad so that's why thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom