• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I play Halo CE split-screen it makes me want Combat Evolved 2 even more.

Also, I just played some Halo 4 BTB, and I was the only person on my team with double digit kills. Only person. Why do people have to be so bad? I'm not even like really good either, but I don't even know why some kids pick up a controller.

daedalius

Returning red Xs look great, definitely would like the see the color changes depending on state like Reach had though as well.

Also, aPKs Sanc map seems pretty solid, interested to see how others work.

BigShow36

Every time I play Halo CE split-screen it makes me want Combat Evolved 2 even more.

Also, I just played some Halo 4 BTB, and I was the only person on my team with double digit kills. Only person. Why do people have to be so bad? I'm not even like really good either, but I don't even know why some kids pick up a controller.

While I would love a CE 2, I just want Halo to have the individual skill gap of Halo CE again. They can add all this other garbage they want, just give us a deep skill gap.

Hey, I said I could take out vehicles. Nothing about other people. :p

I have noticed I've gotten a lot better in the past few months though. My K/D spread was only about +100 forever, and in the last few months of mastering the BR it's split to almost +600. Not on the "pro" level as some of you, but it's getting better which makes me want to keep playing.

You've also been playing with better people ;)

Seriously though, even if you're not feeling that useful at first, playing with and against better people will rub off on you, even if it's little things like paying more attention to routes or positioning, or big things like being a better shot.

Save for the fucking Elevator Jump, Lightning CTF is the closest 4's gotten to saving Halo.

Also Binary Slayer.
They certainly know how to make good Action Sack games.

Put Infinity in the Action Sack playlist in place of the redundant Fiesta, incorporate Throwdown setting across all other playlists. Halo 4 is saved.

Shadowrun, Bro.

Added a bunch of bullshit, still an amazing skill gap.

What a great game. I wish I hadn't been a poor high school kid when it released. I played the demo over and over but by the time I actually had money to buy it Halo 3 and CoD4 were already out and not as many people I knew would play it with me.

Booshka

What a great game. I wish I hadn't been a poor high school kid when it released. I played the demo over and over but by the time I actually had money to buy it Halo 3 and CoD4 were already out and not as many people I knew would play it with me.

I feel bad for anyone that didn't get to experience The Summer of Shadowrun. Summer 07 before Halo 3 and CoD 4 blew up was an awesome time. 3 months of Shadowrun being on top. Even people that didn't stick with it when Halo 3 and CoD 4 came out still loved that 3-4 months when Shadowrun was the only game to play and was at its peak in popularity and exposure.

Released

Hmm, let's set these playlists up:

AR/Pistol, 2 Frag Starts

Team Slayer: 4v4
Team Doubles: 2v2 (TS/OB)
FFA: 8 players
CTF: 4v4
BTB: 8v8 (TS/CTF/KOTH)
Team Objective: 4v4 (OB/KOTH)
Team Action Sack: 4v4 (Hog Wars, Phantoms, KOTH Chiron TL-34/Longest, etc.)
FFA Action Sack: 8 players (Hog Wars, Phantoms, Race, Camo Stickies PP/PR, etc.)

There would have to be a 2v2 slayer list with no radar, or I probably wouldn't even play MM much at all.

Booshka

Movement based bloom. That's pretty much automatically a no go for me. I know a lot of players loved it, but it just didn't seem like my cup of tea.

Yea I know that, sucks you can't enjoy it. If it didn't have movement based bloom though it would undermine the abilities.

You could always just lay down shots crouch rifling, or use a shotgun where the bloom is irrelevant.

While I would love a CE 2, I just want Halo to have the individual skill gap of Halo CE again. They can add all this other garbage they want, just give us a deep skill gap.

All they really need to do is add in the Halo 1 Pistol and have consistency with the weapon/powerup respawn timers/locations, then I'll be more that happy with the multiplayer lol. Using that weapon was the most fun I've had (and still is) over anything in later Halo games. The only weapon that came close was the Grenade Launcher because of how creative and skilled you can be with it.

There would have to be a 2v2 slayer list with no radar.

Yeah and better respawn timers for weapons because Rockets spawning every 2 mins regardless if they're still in play isn't fun. Halo 1 Rocket was the most abusable power weapon of any Halo game.

BigShow36

All they really need to do is add in the Halo 1 Pistol and have consistency with the weapon/powerup respawn timers/locations, then I'll be more that happy with the multiplayer lol. Using that weapon was the most fun I've had (and still is) over anything in later Halo games. The only weapon that came close was the Grenade Launcher because of how creative and skilled you can be with it.

The problem with just adding the CE pistol is that the weapon would be as grossly overpowered as ignoramuses claim it was in CE. The current weapon sandbox and player traits simply don't support a weapon that powerful. The CE pistol worked so well in CE because the rest of the sandbox was powerful in it's own niche, every weapon served a unique purpose and because the aim assists and player movement was tuned to properly balance it's killing power. That's not the case with current Halo games.

I agree though, nothing beats getting a string of beautiful tsk. However, the reason it was so satisfying was because it was so skillful.

Booshka

You can't just add the Halo 1 Pistol if the core mechanics don't support it. Huge hitboxes, stupid easy aim assist/magnetism and little to no lateral strafe would make the Halo 1 Pistol in Halo 4 incredibly stupid and boring.

Halo CE isn't great because of an OP gun, it's because the game engine is so well made.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
You don't even play Halo 4 what are you doing.

Awesome that the red X's are fixed. PS David O'Conner, can you have the MP team look at or play Reach and notice how players callsigns light up Red when taking damage, Yellow when firing, and White when talking? And how these colors show up on the edges of your screen when your team is out of view?

Please add this back in to Halo 5. Thanks.

Yes please.

Maybe Halo 5 could bring back secondary weapon indicator, less cluttered radar (with less radius possibly?) and remove most of the indicators we have now, starting with weapons indicators.

My Halo 5 MP wish-list would be:
- Arena shooter again. So small maps and weapons balanced to work with them.
- De-scoping making a return like flinch never existed.
- Less Aim-assist and magnetism.
- Useful indicators (see above).
- More classic radar (see above).
- Weapons on map. No PODs or GODs.
- No perks.
- No jetpack or make it that you can't shoot while using it.
- Powerups as pick-up bonuses.
- No gameplay-breaking AAs. Things like Thruster that spice gameplay if mastered would be appreciated.
- No recoil on precision weapons.
- Less redundant weapons.
- Faster base speed (remove/balance sprint?).
- No One-shot/stunning vehicles weapons in loadouts.
- Vehicles health indicator when driving.
- Flying UNSC Vehicles.
- Y axis customizable sensitivity.
- Wider FOV.
- Mapping buttons layout.
- Options for custom games. (Drop Flag, Assault, One-sided gametypes, proximity voice, single weapon damage modifiers...)
- Custom games browser.
- Playable (Framerate-wise) split-screen with scaled down HUD (reticle, radar, ecc).
- No commendations/XP progression system.
- Better tested maps (no one-sided maps, no phasing grenades issues, no invisible edges, no go-through walls...)
- Innovation.

EDIT: -CHOPPER!

Ghazi

To be fair, this is a more advanced, cohesive, and intelligent thought process than most airmen. As long as he keeps his mouth shut when his civilian supervisor YourExWife tells him to do shit, and actually does it, we should be good to go.
So what you're saying is that Wahrer will be your chauffeur?

The problem with just adding the CE pistol is that the weapon would be as grossly overpowered as ignoramuses claim it was in CE. The current weapon sandbox and player traits simply don't support a weapon that powerful. The CE pistol worked so well in CE because the rest of the sandbox was powerful in it's own niche, every weapon served a unique purpose and because the aim assists and player movement was tuned to properly balance it's killing power. That's not the case with current Halo games.

I agree though, nothing beats getting a string of beautiful tsk.

You can't just add the Halo 1 Pistol if the core mechanics don't support it. Huge hitboxes, stupid easy aim assist/magnetism and little to no lateral strafe would make the Halo 1 Pistol in Halo 4 incredibly stupid and boring.

Halo CE isn't great because of an OP gun, it's because the game engine is so well made.

Yeah I know some things would have to be changed, but just saying if it was brought back exactly how it was in Halo 1 (aim assist/magnetism) I would personally be happier with Halo 4 multiplayer. Keep all the other weapons super easy to use with hitscan and just have the Halo 1 Pistol be the brolic machine that you need to lead your shots. And to be fair, Halo 4's sandbox has an entire arsenal of powerful weapons just like Halo 1, so I don't think it would be as broken as you'd think.

Look at Gears Judgment and the Markza; the other weapons are easy to use but if you could handle the Markza you become a beast. It kills faster than the other rifles but it's much more difficult to land shots because of the less auto aim/magnetism. A balance can be made based on how difficult these weapons are to master and the average kill times between them.

That's why I'd love a Beta playlist to test things like this. Bring that sexy thing back for Custom Games if anything, allow players to use that weapon tuner they created and voila.

Released

Yeah and better respawn timers for weapons because Rockets spawning every 2 mins regardless if they're still in play isn't fun. Halo 1 Rocket was the most abusable power weapon of any Halo game.

Meh, I don't really agree with that. Rockets were rarely still in play after 2 minutes, and although they were quite powerful, I don't think they're too powerful in the context of the game's sandbox.

If anything timer related needs fixing, it's the 30 second rockets on Dere. Now that was ridiculous.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yes please.

Maybe Halo 5 could bring back secondary weapon indicator, less cluttered radar (with less radius possibly?) and remove most of the indicators we have now, starting with weapons indicators.

My Halo 5 MP wish-list would be:
- Arena shooter again. So small maps and weapons balanced to work with them.
- De-scoping making a return like flinch never existed.
- Less Aim-assist and magnetism.
- Useful indicators (see above).
- More classic radar (see above).
- Weapons on map. No PODs or GODs.
- No perks.
- No jetpack or make it that you can't shoot while using it.
- Powerups as pick-up bonuses.
- No gameplay-breaking AAs. Things like Thruster that spice gameplay if mastered would be appreciated.
- No recoil on precision weapons.
- Less redundant weapons.
- Faster base speed (remove/balance sprint?).
- No One-shot/stunning vehicles weapons in loadouts.
- Vehicles health indicator when driving.
- Flying UNSC Vehicles.
- Y axis customizable sensitivity.
- Wider FOV.
- Mapping buttons layout.
- Options for custom games. (Drop Flag, Assault, One-sided gametypes, proximity voice, single weapon damage modifiers...)
- Custom games browser.
- Playable (Framerate-wise) split-screen with scaled down HUD (reticle, radar, ecc).
- No commendations/XP progression system.
- Better tested maps (no one-sided maps, no phasing grenades issues, no invisible edges, no go-through walls...)
- Innovation.

EDIT: -CHOPPER!

I'm okay with this.

Also getting on now.

I might let him fetch me caffeinated beverages or food, but that's as close as I'll get to actually trusting him with my life.

I shit you not, could actually use one of these. Sick of taking test mission pics and selfies for myself.

oh shit

itshappening.gif

"BACK IN THE WAR, HE WAS THE ONLY GUY YOU WANTED IN YOUR HOLE"

EDIT: prime first page post

kylej

Banned
o ya I shared this with hgs a while ago but for anyone with chrome, if you're not using hoverzoom you're a bk supreme

http://hoverzoom.net/

this changed my internet life when I found it. so much easier to browse reddit and other places

Meh, I don't really agree with that. Rockets were rarely still in play after 2 minutes, and although they were quite powerful, I don't think they're too powerful in the context of the game's sandbox.

If anything timer related needs fixing, it's the 30 second rockets on Dere. Now that was ridiculous.

Less about them still being in play and more about 2 minutes being way too fast for the Rockets, especially when they're that strong. Although maybe a better way to fix it would be to have 2 Rocket shots instead of 4 or have them spawn every 3 mins instead, idk. Either way, if you didn't control the Rockets you lost, regardless of your Pistol skills.

Over half the kills in most 2v2 matches were from Rockets lol; Halo 1 was a power weapon fiesta with those things on some of the maps. Think lesser-skilled players have a horrible time now with how power weapons are? Imagine if they played 2v2 Chill Out against people who knew how to time? No bueno.

Halo 1 was a great game but it certainly got some upgrades that should be included if it were to be remade, such as red X's and the game timer on the screen, etc.

So the decline in population for Halo 4 is still an issue.

343 won't cater a classics playlist until however long (halo 2 anniversary) they please.

Maybe they can regain more traffic if they would hold a national or international online tournament? Sorta like "Bungie Day" BUNGiE VS. The World. Using the newest TU settings in a 4v4 (or 5v5 Squad Slayer) game playing on Legendary Slayer, Team Throwdown, etc. gametypes under 1 playlist.

343 won't cater a classics playlist until however long (halo 2 anniversary) they please.
More likely "can't". Resources [money, people, time] But that's on them too.
Hey Frankie, curious. If I wanna 3D print a model of Master Chief's helmet, am I free to do so? Or who do I ask for premission?
Do you plan on selling it? If not how is it different to what other makers have done before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom