• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKaos

Quickest Dominion match ever

Edit: I take that back :lol

You could say they got
dominated

hfTqhJ1.jpg

heckfu

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/3qDq82N.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

i take back every negative thing i've ever said about enfinit. that was a very wise observation he made.

[quote="Fuchsdh, post: 57358368"]About time. What an idiot. I wouldn't eat a guy who will quit out of won games regularly.[/QUOTE]

you eat guys?

Onikaan

Anyone else been playing 4 since the small update?

Played a match on Exile just now...lots of unregistered shots. Hit a few guys clean in the head with no shields and they didn't drop. Then I hit a dude 7 times with the light rifle and it didn't even break his shield. Went into theater to make sure I wasn't seeing things but right enough, 7 shots. Saw alot of this in Halo 3 but not 4.

Hope this update ain't buggered it.

Descoping adds a great dynamic to battles at medium to long range. I love coming back in a fight because I manage to keep my opponent zoomed out. Flinch is just frustrating.

I can't fathom why it was done. Does CoD do it?

Decoping was a recoverable detriment flinching destroys you.

Edit: Greenskull please shut up. I'll go and survey MLG and then we will see that more people prefer Multiplayer. Yea?

Frank and David will have access to stats that give some real insight into the player base split and I'd love to see what they look like.

TheOddOne

There is nothing really wrong an XP system. The problem is however that everything is tied to it, from weapon unlocks to perks. An XP system being used to basically to “lockdown” gameplay or gameplay altering elements is bad idea on paper and in practice. On paper you could see and argue against it putting base traits behind an unlock system, because it creates too much randomization in the player pool – and you can’t always count on other systems (i.e. Trueskill) to balance it out. It creates a pool of more randomization upon randomization upon even more randomization. You essentially create more problems for yourself, instead of making the margin of error as small as possible (i.e. equal starts). Not to say that there won’t be problems with equal starts, but the scope of the problems arising are more contained and understandable (and by that it’s much easier to look at the pros and cons of fixing the arising problems).

XP systems in other games outside of RPG’s are carrot-on-a-stick investment systems. Most people don’t mind them, because they actually don’t do much. They are just flashy stuff. Nothing really wrong with idea, it’s still a great way to give the player feedback on the preformed action. They are even fine as basis for a progression system (Yes, you read correctly). But when you put much of the base game behind it, you are doing yourself and the players a huge disservice. There are enough ways to make the game grow, evolve and innovate. Embrace the structure and built from that.

Overdoziz

Banned
I can't fathom why it was done. Does CoD do it?

Decoping was a recoverable detriment flinching destroys you.
CoD does have flinch, yes. Although it's still an annoying mechanic in that game you won't run into it nearly as often because the killtimes are much shorter. There's also flinch while not scoping in CoD.

Sai-kun

Banned
About time. What an idiot. I wouldn't eat a guy who will quit out of won games regularly.

i can't tell you how wrongly i read this

omg

in other news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKiqbED9sg

some dude said:
"343's acting on the feedback" Took 1 month to turn a white X red. Lol.
I'm glad they did it, don't get me wrong, but come on now. The fact that they managed to fuck it up to begin with leaves me pretty bitter.

the uploader (bless his heart) said:
I dont think a lot of people (including yourself) understand the amount of coding and work it takes to do something as simple as "turn the white X red" They also changed the duration, among other things. Instead of the constant "the cup is half empty" mindset why not be positive about something rather than finding every little thing to complain about.

dIzygGH.gif

Been using the Explosives perk lately. With it, grenades are useful while not the nukes they were in Reach. Its gotten to the point that its worthless using grenades without that perk. I come out surprised when I get at least 5 kills with grenades in a Slayer match.

It sucks were made to be as powerful as mentos in a diet coke bottle just so they tack on that perk and make it useful. Same goes with Flinch and Ammo etc. And just Wtf at having picking up enemy grenades tied to a perk. Embarrassing fucking decisions made for War Games.

Please abort perks in Halo 5.

willow ve

Anyone else been playing 4 since the small update?

Played a match on Exile just now...lots of unregistered shots. Hit a few guys clean in the head with no shields and they didn't drop. Then I hit a dude 7 times with the light rifle and it didn't even break his shield. Went into theater to make sure I wasn't seeing things but right enough, 7 shots. Saw alot of this in Halo 3 but not 4.

Hope this update ain't buggered it.

Does a small title update like this wipe their host data? Could it just be everyone is a "good host" for a week or so after the update?

Is 343 ever going to mention Legendary Slayer? I had a friend who went to PAX who said they hyped it big time there but there has been no mention of it since. I hope it replaces Infinity Slayer when/if they do ever release it. We don't need another Reach with multiple versions of Slayer.

I hope the settings are something like this. I think it would still obviously not be ideal for people who want classic Halo, but it wouldn't be such a drastic change from IS that it would drive away the remaining fans still playing.

Custom loadouts
Set weapon drops on the maps
No personal ordnance
3 second respawn timer
Increase the amount of time before weapons despawn, this wouldn't be a problem with no PO

I think that would be a good compromise between Team Slayer BR starts like most everyone here wants and Infinity Slayer which apparently has fans somehow.
To the bold: NOPE. Custom Loadouts and all that they allow are a gigantic negative factor in multiplayer. Bungie may have dropped the ball when they introduced Loadouts in the first place, but 343 took it to a whole other level of "what the hell were you thinking" when they let you customize a loadout with some of the most abusive abilities and weapons that are in the game. Legendary Slayer should be similar to Throwdown with pre-set loadouts combined with the more passive Armor Abilities, and leave all that other crap that you can spawn with on the field as a pickup where it goddamn belongs.

I wish Heckfu was coming. We could totally record a podcast then. Or maybe I could record one with Ghostayame, Ninja and Greenskull. That could be fun.
Yes, do this. I want to hear impressions of what I imagine will be the final product.

343 already said more people play campaign, I don't know why he's doing a survey lol
Multiple playthroughs? I've done less campaign playing than any other Halo game, which is really, really sad.

Ghazi

Internet just died. I'm on my phone while waiting for my modem and router to reboot. Yaaaay Charter.
I fucking hate Charter, they consistently throttle my speeds while raising the monthly bills. I'm not even using that much of it, if I need to use Internet I just go to the University and use their wi-fi.

daedalius

I wish Heckfu was coming. We could totally record a podcast then. Or maybe I could record one with Ghostayame, Ninja and Greenskull. That could be fun.

I already told you on twitter, drunkcast.

Your new roster sounds like it could be even more hilarious.

Multiple playthroughs? I've done less campaign playing than any other Halo game, which is really, really sad.

I still find myself often wanting to go back and play through levels in Halo 3 more than any other Halo. Hopefully Halo 5 will be the new bar, but we'll see.

I complained the brutes were weak and dumb, and they are, but the fact you get to fight an entire pack of them all at once is what makes them fun, rather than on an individual power level akin to elites. Packs of brutes are more fun than a couple elites.

Internet just died. I'm on my phone while waiting for my modem and router to reboot. Yaaaay Charter.

Don't worry, we still got dat 400-0 lol

To the bold: NOPE. Custom Loadouts and all that they allow are a gigantic negative factor in multiplayer.

idk.. I don't see anything wrong with Custom Loadouts as long as they limit you take away the Boltshot/Plasma/Pulse Grenade and have any weapon in any slot you want.

If people want to spawn with an AR/Pistol, why not? If people want to spawn with a BR/Suppressor, why not? Seems like they're balancing those weapons properly so taking out the Boltshot and taking away the need for Firepower would go a long way IMO.

Good games guys

Tough Dominion matches

Hi.

Remember in the Halo CE tutorial level when you bash down that door giving the player a skill they will use for the rest of the series?

I would have felt a more interactive sense of cinematic vignette gravitas if the door attacked you, forced co-op buddies to watch, and made you punch the door off of you before switching to third-person to let chief slurp down a bottle of Mountain Dew Game Fuel™.

Nebula

I would have felt a more interactive sense of cinematic vignette gravitas if the door attacked you, forced co-op buddies to wash, and made you punch the door off of you before switching to third-person to let chief slurp down a bottle of Mountain Dew Game Fuel™.

I'll be severely dissapointed if you don't have a massive role in making a game one day.

Omni

yup. one game and I remembered why I stopped playing.

fuck IS.

I know that feel. I've played maybe a couple of games in the last month. Still haven't even downloaded the latest map pack

Halo 3 is where it is at. Well... when you can find a game that is.

Been using the Explosives perk lately. With it, grenades are useful while not the nukes they were in Reach. Its gotten to the point that its worthless using grenades without that perk. I come out surprised when I get at least 5 kills with grenades in a Slayer match.

It sucks were made to be as powerful as mentos in a diet coke bottle just so they tack on that perk and make it useful. Same goes with Flinch and Ammo etc. And just Wtf at having picking up enemy grenades tied to a perk. Embarrassing fucking decisions made for War Games.

Please abort perks in Halo 5.

You know, perks could have still been in there if they weren't so lazy about it. Like maybe team supporting things like regen or something. Ideally, none of this would be there. What they were thinking by removing things core to the gameplay only they know. I think they regret it though. There has to be a way for them to improve the game without hosing the fucking sandbox.

Ironically these progression systems are put in a game to have the player being invested but lack of ranks and these "additions" had the exact opposite effect.

Booshka

I would have felt a more interactive sense of cinematic vignette gravitas if the door attacked you, forced co-op buddies to wash, and made you punch the door off of you before switching to third-person to let chief slurp down a bottle of Mountain Dew Game Fuel™.

Throwing shit at a wall hoping something will stick.

Try again Wahrer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom