• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

A DoTA style system for classes and abilities sounds like fun, but yeah the visual identifier would be crucial. I'd say it would also necessitate going back to a more limited armory like Halo 3 so you can still read people's profiles and figure out what they're using.

I definitely think forcing people to decide what perk they being to the field with regards to AAs could be interesting. Designated regen field guys, etc.

It's still a shooter at the core... I don't know how well dota elements would work, nor would I personally want something like that.

heckfu

Banned
Loadouts just can't work with the Halo weapon sandbox. Unlike call of duty, the weapons aren't homogenized. 343 tried that with Halo 4, and you now have redundant weapons.

I would've agreed with you about a month ago, but it seems the primary weapons are starting to get their own unique roles. Since they're lowering the distance it seems like light rifle may be my primary huge, open map weapon, DMR in the middle, and BR closer range.

It's this reason I could see the loadouts working because even though on paper the LR is the best long range weapon (except for it not being hitscan), I will be more comfortable with DMR.

I think they're doing a better job now with balance than at launch but seems like they're still giving us autonomy to choose the weapons even if it's against their best judgment.

One could also argue, it's not the fact that Call of Duty is successful as opposed to the fact it doesn't have the drastic changes to its gameplay like Halo has.

If you look at Call of Duty from CoD4:MW onwards, very little of the core gameplay has changed. You have loadouts, perks, killstreaks, killcams etc.

Someone who enjoyed CoD4 is going to want to play MW2, World at War, Black Ops etc.

Now compare and contrast Halo from Halo 3 onwards. The entire fabric of Halo gameplay has been changed. The equal starts, no load outs, no perks, no abilities, static weapons are gone.

Someone who enjoyed Halo 3 is not really going to want to play Reach or by comparison Halo 4. The fact that you have fans actively choose to play Real over 4 here, because it resembles old Halo better is a strong indication.

And I understand, they want to cater to a larger fanbase than guys who are probably 20+ who grew up with older Halo in a time without CoD. But then they shouldn't be surprised if their most loyal and dedicated fans no longer play.

And therein lies the rub. I've posted in sites like IGN, GameFAQs etc. A lot of people who love Halo 4 and said it had the best campaign or the fresh multiplayer aren't still playing it. And it could be the nature of the industry, more people are buying more games and playing for less time.

So the problem with Halo 4? The CoD fans are going back to play CoD, the new age of gamers will move on after a month or two to another game because they get bored, old time Halo fans don't like this at all and won't play. And that's why Halo 4 sits behind two Call of Duty games, minecraft, fifa, and even NBA.

That could be, but it could also be that the fact that everything is unlocked in that game from iron sites, skins to perks that that is one of the main reason they go back. The core gameplay doesn't change much and you can prestige an insane amount of times. Go into that game right now, check the lobby and see how many people have prestiged multiple times, and how many haven't. I guarantee you most have.

It could also be that this experience ive described above is so similar from title to title in that franchise that that is the main reason why 2 COD games sit above Halo. Why buy a new one right away when they all give you the same experience.

They really fucked up in homogenizing Halo into "other FPSes." The core of people who keep the thing fresh by playing it over the span of years basically got tired of the game pulling farther away from OG Halo. Halo 4 was basically the last straw after Reach.

Yea I'd wish there was more talk of burning all AA's and Perks and Loadouts and going back to real Halo.

Lets stop trying to figure out how we can correctly implement these pieces of crap. Its wasting so much time when the time should be spent on properly planning out the playlists and properly implementing well made and tested maps into the correct playlists, with a working ranking system that bans cheaters.

Allowing a great campaign to exist with aesthetic player progression.

And having features at least equal to the last iteration.

Fuchsdh

It's still a shooter at the core... I don't know how well dota elements would work, nor would I personally want something like that.
Well I definitely don't want any in-game stuff like upgrades or leveling, but using AAs as a way to give players a specific niche in the team sounds like an interesting adaptation of the current system. I dunno if I'd want to further that in more customized loadouts though.

And I agree that while I love all the weapons in general I'd rather lose some fun weapons in the sandbox for a cleaner experience. Leave certain weapons as campaign only or rare on-map weapons.

Loadouts just can't work with the Halo weapon sandbox. Unlike call of duty, the weapons aren't homogenized. 343 tried that with Halo 4, and you now have redundant weapons.

Its looks more like they didnt even tried to make new weapons and rely on the player to figure out which weapon use,automatic or long range, baby steps to the extreme.

My my, the most quality post you've ever written.

We were talking last night (u4ix, greenskull, Minolta, and I) about the state of this game and we all came to a really sound conclusion that I haven't seen presented here but could possibly work. Assuming the don't get rid of loadouts, what do you guys think about having at launch with the next title a playlist that resembles classic halo (currently team throwdown but with radar) and a new playlist that allows these loadouts but has it in the style of league of legends - you have to lock in your picks at the start so you KNOW what you're dealing with. Minolta even brought up the point that camo and pro vision shouldn't be allowed as loadouts, only things that alter movement, things like thruster, a potential double jump, etc.

I know that we all want no loadouts and a return to standard, equal starts, that's not the point. The point is trying to make loadouts more fair since that's the direction it seems they're taking it.
My hope is that Legendary Slayer will be a more mollified version of the current state of loadouts:
- No custom loadouts, only preset Reach-style options that are paired with the more passive Armor Abilities like Hologram, Thruster, and even Hardlight Shield.
- All Rifles matched with Magnum as secondary, or you can choose the equivalent of AR/BR, but no AA.
- Camo, PromVision, etc. are utilized as map pickups/Ordnance.
- No Personal Ordnance.
- No random power weapons.
- Other previously allowed Loadout weapons are relegated back to the field where they never should have left.

Seems like a good compromise.

Trasher

CyReN, bro. I totally cheered the Wings on to that win in Anaheim last night. Just wanted you to know. Seemed like there were more Wings fans than Ducks fans there haha.

Tawpgun

My hope is that Legendary Slayer will be a more mollified version of the current state of loadouts:
- No custom loadouts, only preset Reach-style options that are paired with the more passive Armor Abilities like Hologram, Thruster, and even Hardlight Shield.
- All Rifles matched with Magnum as secondary, or you can choose the equivalent of AR/BR, but no AA.
- Camo, PromVision, etc. are utilized as map pickups/Ordnance.
- No Personal Ordnance.
- No random power weapons.
- Other previously allowed Loadout weapons are relegated back to the field where they never should have left.

Seems like a good compromise.

Legendary seems like its shaping up to be the Squad Slayer of Halo 4. But please get HLS out of there thanks.

u4iX

Imagine if Halo 2 Anniversary had expanded custom game options and tailor made MLG playlists. Dead.

H2A:

-Halo 2 ranking and matchmaking system
-Halo: Reach armor and credit system
-Halo: Reach host selection
-Halo 3 Theater
-Halo: Reach file sharing, tagging, and rendering
-Halo: Reach Sword
-Halo: Reach Plasma Pistol
-Halo: Reach Forge with Halo 4 set pieces
-60 fps

H2A:

-Halo 3 Theater
-60 fps

OMYLORD.

u4iX

How about no freaking credit or XP system?

cef3a48c6535d9c37fd671672d1a1f1b.png

Akai__

H2A:

-Halo 3 armor system
-Halo 3 Theater
-Halo 3 file sharing, and Halo: Reach tagging, and rendering
-Halo 3 Sword
-Halo: Reach Forge with Halo 4 set pieces and a ton of new set pieces, including weather and landscape modification
-60 fps

FTFY

NOKYARD

H2A:

-Halo 3 Theater
-60 fps

-Halo: 4 Forge with Halo 2 set pieces

The inventory is getting kind of boring. Would be nice to see completely new pieces.

Halo 4 forge without the current bugs/omissions far outshines Halo Reach forge.

IHaveIce

Banned
H2A:

-Halo 3 Theater
-60 fps

Or a real map Creator a la Far Cry :O

Overdoziz

Banned
-Halo: 4 Forge with Halo 2 set pieces

The inventory is getting kind of boring. Would be nice to see completely new pieces.

Halo 4 forge without the current bugs/omissions far outshines Halo Reach forge.
dem rounded edges
mak me cry evrtiem

Honestly, the Forge palette needs an overhaul. 90% of the objects are just randomly thrown in without any thought behind it.

Madness

But it's not just weapons, it's the other factors in loadouts as well. Things like stability, stealth, explosives, grenadier etc.

And I abuse the hell out of this system. Why not? They give us the ability to do so.

One of my loadouts is DMR, Boltshot, Plasma Grenade, Camo, Stealth and AA efficiency.

This allows me to completely dominate in open maps since I can camo and ping from a distance. Usually I get one or two shots off before someone finds me. Or if I get ordnance with a sniper weapon, I'll pick this loadout so I can can camo/snipe or to break maps like Adrift. I can sit in an area, camo and kill anyone with boltshot. With stealth I've negated any PV users as well and AA efficency means camo recharges super quick.

And that's just one example. Now imagine playing against me, when I'm utilizing a loadout like that. Is that Halo?

And no, I don't use that loadout much, as I no longer play any infinity at all. But it's just an example. It's not just someone having a DMR versus someone having an AR etc.

TheOddOne

I like unlocking new armor via XP. I just don't like unlocking gameplay features.
How about sticking it into the commedation system way in the back of the game. People who like playing Spartan dress up are happy and other players are not being forced to see their primairy "rank" being a bunch of stupid numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom