• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Well look, if i played the game for 100k$, then yes maybe. I play for fun. 5-15% bullshit kill everyone once in a while doesnt affect me.
I guess we should unpatch the boltshot then. If you know, people that play for fun don't care about being killed by shit every now and again

IHaveIce

Banned
Yes well one team grabbing the middle rocket before the other team does the same thing. Halo has been like that forever.

A rocket has to be fight over and you need to be first and everything. Map control,
Ordnance are killstreaks.

Again just to prove on a high skill level AAs really affect 1v1s!

Tawpgun

lol some of these arguments

"Yes its random/cheap but better players still win most of the time so who cares!"

"It's not THAT bad"

"lol I play for fun I don't give a fuuuuuuuck"

"Turning left instead of right and getting shot in the back is just as random as random ordnance and personal drops and perks and AA's!"

A rocket has to be fight over and you need to be first and everything. Map control,
Ordnance are killstreaks.

Again just to prove on a high skill level AAs really affect 1v1s!

Its a non issue. Everyone can get the same AAs in AGL. Everyone can use the hardlight shield. If they just leave them on screen without choosing one, then die, its their fucking problem.

I personally think that the AA meter should reset once you die and not keep going. That to me is a bigger problem.

edit: i dunno how many times i saw this type of stuff this very weekend at AGL. Guy gets AA option to choose from, leaves it on screen for 5 minutes and in the meantime dies 4-5 times in between. But hey, the other guy had a shield. It changed the encounter....god damn.

My comment was more like an example how 2 even teams will get a serious advantage, not about the randomness.

hUkoXbf.gif

Like any of those teams were going to beat Misfits this weekend? amirite?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm playing through the original right now. Have you played through 2033?

Also, your city walk, is that how you played the game? So slowly/deliberately I mean.

I played most of 2033. The city walk, no, I was doing that for the video to show off some on the intricacies of the detail there. The cities are pretty cool to explore.

willow ve

Well look, if i played the game for 100k$, then yes maybe. I play for fun. 5-15% bullshit kill everyone once in a while doesnt affect me.
Why can't my "fun" involve a balanced game without bullshit?

15% isn't every once in awhile. It's once it twice every single game. When I encounter bullshit every single game it saps the fun out. I still play because it's 85% fun (which is still better than the competition), but I can dream of a game that's better.

willow ve

"Yes its random/cheap but better players still win most of the time so who cares!"

"It's not THAT bad"

"Turning left instead of right and getting shot in the back is just as random as random ordnance and personal drops and perks and AA's!"
Exactly.

Why can't my "fun" involve a balanced game without bullshit?

15% isn't every once in awhile. It's once it twice every single game. When I encounter bullshit every single game it saps the fun out. I still play because it's 85% fun (which is still better than the competition), but I can dream of a game that's better.

Im all for balance, but i also understand that bringing in new stuff in a franchise sometimes affects the game-play. Im for evolution, not stagnancy. And if that means Halo not playing exactly the same as before in its 6th game in the franchise, then so be it.

Ive said it before, add features, but put options in the gametype customization to turn them off. Which is exactly what they didnt do.

daedalius

"It's not THAT bad"

lol cogent discussion about a topic, who needs that? more one-liner attacks plz #hgs

willow ve

Im all for balance, but i also understand that bringing in new stuff in a franchise sometimes affects the game-play. Im for evolution, not stagnancy. And if that means Halo not playing exactly the same as before in its 6th game in the franchise, then so be it.

Ive said it before, add features, but put options in the gametype customization to turn them off. Which is exactly what they didnt do.
The greatest innovations and new unconventional gametypes (SWAT, infection, race, grifball, heavies, etc.) that actually made it to matchmaking and were popular enough to gain a following are results of the opposite scenario. Keep the gameplay simple and balanced and give people crazy options for custom gametypes. This method leaves a core game that's fun, balanced, and competitive but still allows for customs like invis super fast zombie variants or binary slayer.

Madness

My fear is, they see the fact that two Call of Duty games are ahead of them and decide that it needs to be more like CoD to capture the fan base.

There is a reason Gears and Halo are doing poorly. Has nothing to do with fatigue. Has more to do with the fact they're alienating large portions of their fanbase with gameplay decisions.

We shouldn't have to play customs to have the ability to play Halo how it's been for the greater part of a decade.

It's not Halo fatigue. I'd say Reach and Halo 4 have contributed more to diminishing any excitement for the future of the series, than the passage of time.

daedalius

The greatest innovations and new unconventional gametypes (SWAT, infection, race, grifball, heavies, etc.) that actually made it to matchmaking and were popular enough to gain a following are results of the opposite scenario. Keep the gameplay simple and balanced and give people crazy options for custom gametypes. This method leaves a core game that's fun, balanced, and competitive but still allows for customs like invis super fast zombie variants or binary slayer.

That's something that would be a nice addition from what CoD has; don't change the main offering as much, but give people more options(and side playlists) for stuff like that. Unfortunately this time we got infinity :|

It does seem like the designers go out of their way sometimes to 'change' gameplay, and not the evolution kind.

My fear is, they see the fact that two Call of Duty games are ahead of them and decide that it needs to be more like CoD to capture the fan base.

There is a reason Gears and Halo are doing poorly. Has nothing to do with fatigue. Has more to do with the fact they're alienating large portions of their fanbase with gameplay decisions.

We shouldn't have to play customs to have the ability to play Halo how it's been for the greater part of a decade.

It's not Halo fatigue. I'd say Reach and Halo 4 have contributed more to diminishing any excitement for the future of the series, than the passage of time.

I think the changes to Gears are on a whole different level compared to Halo. The new changes in Judgement... don't make me want to play multiplayer. I guess I can understand some people feel the same way about the changes to Halo.

Sure, but it's easy to say that.

There could easily have been a scenario where they stayed significantly truer and still have a low (but yes, probably higher) population.
We can't say either way for sure, especially without empirical evidence from other titles etc.

Tawpgun

lol cogent discussion about a topic, who needs that? more one-liner attacks plz #hgs

Arguments like those almost don't deserve a serious response.

Equating one team getting top mid rockets on a map to being just as random as ordnance or running into someone with a certain AA/Perk? C'mon son.

When players make a decision to move somewhere on a map, that's a decision the player makes in game based on the information he's recieved or hasn't recieved from himself or another teammate.

Getting a binary rifle dropped in front of you from global ordnance is not a decision. Its winning the lottery.

Yes, you have to earn personal ordnance, but what you get in that ordnance is random. It's another ballot in the lottery (or if you have the re-roll perk you get another ballot)

Encountering someone who can reload faster, has more power weapon ammo, has increased explosive radius, etc is different form encountering someone who picked up a spawning rocket because one person made a decision in the loadout menu and it happened to be advantageous to an encounter and the other person either timed, or was able to pick up a rocket that everyone in the game SHOULD have known about.

heckfu

Banned

Equating one team getting top mid rockets on a map to being just as random as ordnance or running into someone with a certain AA/Perk? C'mon son.

When players make a decision to move somewhere on a map, that's a decision the player makes in game based on the information he's recieved or hasn't recieved from himself or another teammate.

Getting a binary rifle dropped in front of you from global ordnance is not a decision. Its winning the lottery.

Yes, you have to earn personal ordnance, but what you get in that ordnance is random. It's another ballot in the lottery (or if you have the re-roll perk you get another ballot)

Encountering someone who can reload faster, has more power weapon ammo, has increased explosive radius, etc is different form encountering someone who picked up a spawning rocket because one person made a decision in the loadout menu and it happened to be advantageous to an encounter and the other person either timed, or was able to pick up a rocket that everyone in the game SHOULD have known about.

My my, the most quality post you've ever written.

We were talking last night (u4ix, greenskull, Minolta, and I) about the state of this game and we all came to a really sound conclusion that I haven't seen presented here but could possibly work. Assuming the don't get rid of loadouts, what do you guys think about having at launch with the next title a playlist that resembles classic halo (currently team throwdown but with radar) and a new playlist that allows these loadouts but has it in the style of league of legends - you have to lock in your picks at the start so you KNOW what you're dealing with. Minolta even brought up the point that camo and pro vision shouldn't be allowed as loadouts, only things that alter movement, things like thruster, a potential double jump, etc.

I know that we all want no loadouts and a return to standard, equal starts, that's not the point. The point is trying to make loadouts more fair since that's the direction it seems they're taking it.

Sure, but it's easy to say that.

There could easily have been a scenario where they stayed significantly truer and still have a low (but yes, probably higher) population.
We can't say either way for sure, especially without empirical evidence from other titles etc.

Yep, and i truly believe that. I don't think it would have changed the fact that COD is hella popular either way.

The problem i had with Reach was that most of the maps were too big. I played a lot of Halo3 customs and that number dropped significantly with Reach and 4 for me not cause of AAs, but cause most of the maps were too fucking big for 3-4 player matches. Plus with 4, they dumbed down the customization options...

I think that the map design is incredibly important, and id even go as far as saying that its even more important than balance. Halo2 to me was an incredibly unbalanced game. But it was fun. Why? Cause the maps were fucking awesome.

When you have great maps, its 80% of the job successfully done to me. And as an example, Headlong in Reach. Man, that map was so fucking fun, i could have played on it 24/7.

daedalius

Halogaf.

Fairly sure I started out discussing the implications of AAs and loadouts being "rock-paper-scissors" and how they weren't always a win-win.

You've now changed that discussion into what you see wrong with all AAs, perks, etc; to which I have plenty of grievances as well.

But please, continue being the arbiter of what is deserving of a serious response here on halogaf. I know, the bar is very high.

One team getting rockets requires work yes, but so does getting a AA to choose from. It requires you to get the kills to fill up that meter. Its not just giving to you randomly. And in AGL, they're not random, they're set the same for everyone. Everyone has the same AAs to choose from and the load-outs are exactly the same for everyone. There aren't any lottery drops when the game is set that way. Everything is earned, just some more than others.

IHaveIce

Banned
Man Rumble Pit really shows how different Halo 4 can be.

Rumble Pro = fantastic.
Infinity Rumble= Bullshit, everyone sprinting around with automatic weapons and if they have luck they get speed boost or damage boost.

What a shit show

Madness

One could also argue, it's not the fact that Call of Duty is successful as opposed to the fact it doesn't have the drastic changes to its gameplay like Halo has.

If you look at Call of Duty from CoD4:MW onwards, very little of the core gameplay has changed. You have loadouts, perks, killstreaks, killcams etc.

Someone who enjoyed CoD4 is going to want to play MW2, World at War, Black Ops etc.

Now compare and contrast Halo from Halo 3 onwards. The entire fabric of Halo gameplay has been changed. The equal starts, no load outs, no perks, no abilities, static weapons are gone.

Someone who enjoyed Halo 3 is not really going to want to play Reach or by comparison Halo 4. The fact that you have fans actively choose to play Real over 4 here, because it resembles old Halo better is a strong indication.

And I understand, they want to cater to a larger fanbase than guys who are probably 20+ who grew up with older Halo in a time without CoD. But then they shouldn't be surprised if their most loyal and dedicated fans no longer play.

And therein lies the rub. I've posted in sites like IGN, GameFAQs etc. A lot of people who love Halo 4 and said it had the best campaign or the fresh multiplayer aren't still playing it. And it could be the nature of the industry, more people are buying more games and playing for less time.

So the problem with Halo 4? The CoD fans are going back to play CoD, the new age of gamers will move on after a month or two to another game because they get bored, old time Halo fans don't like this at all and won't play. And that's why Halo 4 sits behind two Call of Duty games, minecraft, fifa, and even NBA.

Tawpgun

One team getting rockets requires work yes, but so does getting a AA to choose from. It requires you to get the kills to fill up that meter. Its not just giving to you randomly. And in AGL, they're not random, they're set the same for everyone. Everyone has the same AAs to choose from and the load-outs are exactly the same for everyone. There aren't any lottery drops when the game is set that way. Everything is earned, just some more than others.

What.

Oh you're talking about Throwdown. I'm talking about Infinity settings. I think the AA's in Throwdown are kinda silly, but I'm talking about Halo 4 and Infinity Slayer in general.

Exwife I just wanted to let you know you can reply to posts in something other than a .gif image. Text perhaps, with thoughts or words in them, if you don't have any of those then you can simply just remain quiet.

Thanks in advance.

Devo we arent catty at all, we are sassy. I'm at work otherwise I'd get on Reach.

Madness

We were talking last night (u4ix, greenskull, Minolta, and I) about the state of this game and we all came to a really sound conclusion that I haven't seen presented here but could possibly work. Assuming the don't get rid of loadouts, what do you guys think about having at launch with the next title a playlist that resembles classic halo (currently team throwdown but with radar) and a new playlist that allows these loadouts but has it in the style of league of legends - you have to lock in your picks at the start so you KNOW what you're dealing with. Minolta even brought up the point that camo and pro vision shouldn't be allowed as loadouts, only things that alter movement, things like thruster, a potential double jump, etc.

I know that we all want no loadouts and a return to standard, equal starts, that's not the point. The point is trying to make loadouts more fair since that's the direction it seems they're taking it.

Sorry for the double post, but this could work. I believe the playlist that doesn't have 'random' elements in it, should be ranked though. And when you mean lock in your picks, you mean never changing when the match starts right? But wouldn't that be frustrating and lead to quitters then? I mean infinity playlists don't have ammo on map, and say for example, you picked DMR on Haven and everyone else has Battle Rifle or Assault Rifle. You can't change it again until the match is over?

I don't know if loadouts will ever work seeing as how certain weapons completely ruin a large part of Halo gameplay ie. CQC is ruined by boltshot.

Mix

One could also argue, it's not the fact that Call of Duty is successful as opposed to the fact it doesn't have the drastic changes to its gameplay like Halo has.

If you look at Call of Duty from CoD4:MW onwards, very little of the core gameplay has changed. You have loadouts, perks, killstreaks, killcams etc.

Someone who enjoyed CoD4 is going to want to play MW2, World at War, Black Ops etc.

Now compare and contrast Halo from Halo 3 onwards. The entire fabric of Halo gameplay has been changed. The equal starts, no load outs, no perks, no abilities, static weapons are gone.

Someone who enjoyed Halo 3 is not really going to want to play Reach or by comparison Halo 4. The fact that you have fans actively choose to play Real over 4 here, because it resembles old Halo better is a strong indication.

And I understand, they want to cater to a larger fanbase than guys who are probably 20+ who grew up with older Halo in a time without CoD. But then they shouldn't be surprised if their most loyal and dedicated fans no longer play.

And therein lies the rub. I've posted in sites like IGN, GameFAQs etc. A lot of people who love Halo 4 and said it had the best campaign or the fresh multiplayer aren't still playing it. And it could be the nature of the industry, more people are buying more games and playing for less time.

So the problem with Halo 4? The CoD fans are going back to play CoD, the new age of gamers will move on after a month or two to another game because they get bored, old time Halo fans don't like this at all and won't play. And that's why Halo 4 sits behind two Call of Duty games, minecraft, fifa, and even NBA.
Exactly. You sir, have made a good point. I want my solid halo back so badly. A Halo 2HD would be amazing, especially if the multiplayer was in tact.

Loadouts aren't the end of the world as long as you don't have terrible abilities like Camo and Pro vision and being able to start with a damn shotgun (that's better than one of the power weapon shotguns lol). I actually like the ability to pick your starting weapon (assuming that only appropriate starting weapons are available to pick from, see example above of SHOTGUN).

The largest issue that for me will be exhibit 1A on if 343 is interested in a game that is fair/balanced/competitively viable when they release H5 will be stuff like Global and Personal Ordnance. Global ordnance is a travesty, and just ruins the game in so many ways. Personal Ordnance is also terrible, giving the winning team a further advantage to expand their lead and the awesome roll of the dice to see if you get good ordnance or not once you earn it.

That and the general "make the game for babbies" in the name of "accessibility".

Exwife I just wanted to let you know you can reply to posts in something other than a .gif image. Text perhaps, with thoughts or words in them, if you don't have any of those then you can simply just remain quiet.

Thanks in advance.

Devo we arent catty at all, we are sassy. I'm at work otherwise I'd get on Reach.

What time are you off broham?

I dont think the same, some part of the community if not the most want to stay classic Halo which is worrying. Reach was different from the monotony of Halo 2 and 3 even with its numerous faults. Halo 4 in other hand went to a radical direction to please newcomers.

Agree, I dont understand why 343i removed the core playlist and adds them months later.

If the loadouts are here to stay then 343i needs to overhaul the loadouts with skills attached to the loadout itselft, cosmetic changes according to the loadout, restrict the loadout weapons to human weapons or change to covenant variants if you are a covenant, more weapons not just variants, and remove the edit your loadout in the middle of the match.

They have a lot of work to tweak their mistakes for Halo 5 and I doubt MS will give them the time they need.

Fuchsdh

A DoTA style system for classes and abilities sounds like fun, but yeah the visual identifier would be crucial. I'd say it would also necessitate going back to a more limited armory like Halo 3 so you can still read people's profiles and figure out what they're using.

I definitely think forcing people to decide what perk they being to the field with regards to AAs could be interesting. Designated regen field guys, etc.

IHaveIce

Banned

Actually I really like this idea. Like the usual Aren shooter but it also has like a Class based multiplayer in some lists.

Designated roles and routes for players because of their loadout.

Madness

Loadouts just can't work with the Halo weapon sandbox. Unlike call of duty, the weapons aren't homogenized. 343 tried that with Halo 4, and you now have redundant weapons.

But the difference between Halo and CoD is, in call of duty you can pick whatever weapon you want, in Halo, you can only pick certain weapons. But in Halo, they go a step further and allow you to pick game altering abilities. Imagine how Call of Duty would play if gamers could choose invisibility, invincibility, flight, etc.

The best Halo, is non loadout Halo. It doesn't break the map. It's why Adrift is full of PV/Camo/Boltshot users.

And I could be rambling, but I mean, it made little difference in call of duty if someone picked the ammo perk. But in Halo 4, with ammo being so scarce, and the fact it also affects ordnance or power weapons, it becomes a game changer. Someone picks ammo and gets 6 incineration cannon shots. If someone picked Stability, they are now almost guaranteed to win a duel against someone who didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom