• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KNM1O.jpg

iOJ1FBcydGeJ.gif

Oh, Bobs.

This reminds me to delete my twitter history.

Game was actually fun during the pre-release conventions - probably because everything was so new that no one knew what to abuse and everyone I played against sucked.

Still ashamed you dug that up :p

BigShow36

Game was actually fun during the pre-release conventions - probably because everything was so new that no one knew what to abuse and everyone I played against sucked.

You mean exactly like I said months before release when I was critical of the game and everyone was on my case about "not having played the game?"

Booshka

You mean exactly like I said months before release when I was critical of the game and everyone was on my case about "not having played the game?"

It'll keep happening too, Halo 5 hype train in HaloGAF will probably take over, and those of us who are skeptical will be ignored or insulted because we aren't blindly optimistic.

Hey don't direct that at me - I was one of the ones bitching about the game pre-release - after I played it I was optimistic but didn't tell others to stop posting the vitriol. I think in the write ups I wrote after playing I posted negatives myself

This reminds me to delete my twitter history.

Still ashamed you dug that up :p

Mind you, some of the weapons played a lot better (like the carbine for example) per-release. Ironically, theyre buffing it back up to the way it was before they dumbed it down.

Thats one of the problems i have with 343, they don't seem to "evaluate" properly. Even the X, they had to do it twice to get it right. The Halo fanbase is already difficult, if they have to start redoing shit 2-3 times to have it done properly, its gonna be a long road ahead for them.

IHaveIce

Banned

That were only quite a small group actually and of course everyone is excited at first to test it.

But the big problems of Halo 4 were discovered and critizised bymany, not just by you :lol.

Almost everyone hated on return of AAs, Instant Respawn, Join in Progress, Loudouts and Ordnane.

I even said after my event expierence that I dislike Complex already and think it is too big and too open for DMR.

That were only quite a small group actually and of course everyone is excited at first to test it.

But the big problems of Halo 4 were discovered and critizised bymany, not just by you :lol.

Almost everyone hated on return of AAs, Instant Respawn, Join in Progress, Loudouts and Ordnane.

I even said after my event expierence that I dislike Complex already and think it is too big and too open for DMR.

I like the way they dealt with JIP. If i have to go back to playing Halo where at the end of 90 % the games, the server is practically empty with no possibility to fill the empty spots, im just gonna quit Halo altogether.

Remember how nobody actually believed the GameInformer leak was real?
The one that announced return of jetpack/camo, as well as loadouts, killstreaks, and perks.

Hahahahahaha
haha
ha
ha
ha...
ha..

Yea I don't need to drive a car with square wheels to know it wont drive well. I swear to god if one person says "Have you played the game yet?" I will punch you in the throat.

daedalius

I'd say the only things I really dislike after the TU hits would be random ordnance and OP personal ordnance (lol personal rocket launcher). I mean, its totally hilarious to kill a bunch of gaffers in customs with a personal ordnance rocket launcher, but also totally unfair.

Other than stupid shit like the boltshot shotgun-in-my-pocket; camo is annoying but doesn't seem nearly as bad as it used to be. I do really like my thruster pack... if you know what I mean ;)

JackHerer

Camo is just plain bad. It's not even that powerful. It just makes the game boring and frustrating to play.

Anytime I see the majority of the other team using camo I contemplate quitting. It's not worth the time it will take to beat them.

Camo is just plain bad. It's not even that powerful. It just makes the game boring and frustrating to play.

Anytime I see the majority of the other team using camo I contemplate quitting. It's not worth the time it will take to beat them.

Bah, i dont even use it anymore. I prefer that turret thing.

daedalius

AAs can all die in fire. I'm sick of rock paper scissors gameplay. Nemesis perk is really annoying recently.

I'd say the vast majority of the time, if you're a better player, you're still going to win a challenge.

Its definitely not rock-paper-scissors. While AAs may add a wrinkle to combat some players may not like, they aren't a win-guarantee by any stretch.

I'd say the vast majority of the time, if you're a better player, you're still going to win a challenge.

Its definitely not rock-paper-scissors. While AAs may add a wrinkle to combat some players may not like, they aren't a win-guarantee by any stretch.

Armor Lock
HLS
Jetpack
Promethean Vision
Active Camo
Regen Field + Shielding

I agree with that 110%

willow ve

Its definitely not rock-paper-scissors. While AAs may add a wrinkle to combat some players may not like, they aren't a win-guarantees by any stretch.
It can really affect 1v1 encounters. Camo allows first shot advantage, jetpack let's you fire from or escape to a non accessible location, hardlight prolongs encounters. Etc.

Perks skew the balance as well - notably shield recharge, dexterity, and explosives. Granted they don't allow a bad player to consistently beat a good player, but they do produce endless moments of frustration.

JackHerer

Bah, i dont even use it anymore. I prefer that turret thing.

Jetpack is the most powerful AA imo.

I really hope it is left out in H5 though. I recently started trying to Forge some of my own maps with the promod settings in mind and it made me realize how much the jetpack breaks map design. Just look at Lockout in infinity slayer. It plays like dogshit with jetpacks. It's bad enough with just sprint.

Omni

I take it you've never played against people who camo snipe then. Or been in a 1v1 situation where some asshole just floats over your cover with the jetpack to kill you? Or used a regen shield to make their shields recharge almost instantly? Or blah blah blah. You get the point. AAs add more than just a "wrinkle to combat". In most cases they determine the outcome.

It can really affect 1v1 encounters. Camo allows first shot advantage, jetpack let's you fire from or escape to a non accessible location, hardlight prolongs encounters. Etc.

Perks skew the balance as well - notably shield recharge, dexterity, and explosives. Granted they don't allow a bad player to consistently beat a good player, but they do produce endless moments of frustration.

You say that as if just running in the wrong direction for example doesn't do the exact same thing. If you get to a spot on a map, and go left instead of right and someone starts shooting you in the back, they have a first shot advantage over you. Should we disallow shooting players in the back too?

Using an AA and knowing when to use it are two different things. I dunno how many times ive killed a guy using camo while i was purely visible just because i payed attention to my radar.

It can affect encounters yes, but that doesnt guarantee you anything.

kylej

Banned
oh yeah I forgot about all the people who said you can't judge something til you played it. lmao

all my pre-release concerns came true. again. get shit on halogaf

Overdoziz

Banned
Keep saying this with every random element or casualized aspect of a game and eventually you end up with a game with a much smaller skill-gap than the games before. Sure, pros won't suddenly get beaten by people who just bought the game. What about two teams that are very close to each other in terms of skill, though? Someone pulling a hardlight shield from his ass can make the difference, even if it rarely happens. Same with random ordnance. It wont change the outcome of a match most of the time, but it definitely does when teams are an even match.

Justifying features or mechanics which lower the skill-gap by saying that there still is a skill-gap is silly.

Ghazi

Just take out backs, make what you see on the screen (FOV?) a whole 360 degrees around the player. Then put one gun in at each 90 degrees. Allowing one player to kill up to four others at the same time. It's the only balanced way.

It's no guarantee, but it's no less annoying to not know what kind of absurd stack of perks and Armor Abilities your opponent has until you're already in the thick of combat. In some cases like the Stability perk, you won't even know whether it's engaged or if you just have a shitty connection. Shielding is very similar. Do I charge this guy who just hid behind one of the Haven platforms, or do I back off in case he returns to full shields before I cab get to him?

Keep saying this with every random element or casualized aspect of a game and eventually you end up with a game with a much smaller skill-gap than the games before. Sure, pros won't suddenly get beaten by people who just bought the game. What about two teams that are very close to each other in terms of skill, though? Someone pulling a hardlight shield from his ass can make the difference, even if it rarely happens. Same with random ordnance. It wont change the outcome of a match most of the time, but it definitely does when teams are an even match.

Justifying features or mechanics which lower the skill-gap by saying that there still is a skill-gap is silly.

Those people usually play in tournaments where the gametypes are customized to not allow randomness. Like AGL, didnt see that shit happen once.

daedalius

If you have two teams wanting a match with no random shit, play customs.

heckfu

Banned
oh yeah I forgot about all the people who said you can't judge something til you played it. lmao

all my pre-release concerns came true. again. get shit on halogaf

but it was a valid thing to say - you can't hate it until you play it and try it out.

however, you were completely right and i was wrong.

IHaveIce

Banned
Those people usually play in tournaments where the gametypes are customized to not allow randomness. Like AGL, didnt see that shit happen once.

Eh exactly the situation Over described happened at AGL, Snipedown pulled the Hardlight shield out a lot and saved his ass so many times.

Also "play customs" is in my opinion not the best solution when it was years ago possible to have these things online.

willow ve

It can affect encounters yes, but that doesnt guarantee you anything.
No one is arguing that it is universally affecting every encounter - but they undeniably alter the core game enough to be frustrating in many encounters.

I would say at least once or twice per match I find myself killed due to perk or AA advantage. Granted the other 7-10 deaths are due to bad decisions or poor skill. But that still equates to 5%-15% of my deaths come from frustrating and random game mechanics. That's too often for my taste.

Eh exactly the situation Over described happened at AGL, Snipedown pulled the Hardlight shield out a lot and saved his ass so many times.

Also "play customs" is in my opinion not the best solution when it was years ago possible to have these things online.

Yes but the shield didn't just magically appear out of the blue, he got the kills, chose it and then used it. And its always the same that appear as an option for everyone, so everyone can have it. Hardly random or unfair.

daedalius

And they decided that you can get those AAs through ordnance. They could have decided to turn them off, but they didn't.

Play customs isn't the best solution, but it is a solution to the 'problems' we are discussing. It just happens to be a solution most here don't like.

Good point!

I'm thrilled we can agree Kyle.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
I'd say the only things I really dislike after the TU hits would be random ordnance and OP personal ordnance (lol personal rocket launcher). I mean, its totally hilarious to kill a bunch of gaffers in customs with a personal ordnance rocket launcher, but also totally unfair.

Other than stupid shit like the boltshot shotgun-in-my-pocket; camo is annoying but doesn't seem nearly as bad as it used to be. I do really like my thruster pack... if you know what I mean ;)
Agreed but don't forget Flinch And jetpacks.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yes but the shield didn't just magically appear out of the blue, he got the kills, chose it and then used it. And its always the same that appear as an option for everyone, so everyone can have it. Hardly random or unfair.
My comment was more like an example how 2 even teams will get a serious advantage, not about the randomness.
And they decided that you can get those AAs through ordnance. They could have decided to turn them off, but they didn't.

Play customs isn't the best solution, but it is a solution to the 'problems' we are discussing. It just happens to be a solution most here don't like.

I'm thrilled we can agree Kyle.
Not to all problems though and it creates a bigger problem for many that would be "there is no interesting/unannoying gametype in matchmaking"

If I would have to rely only on custom games, I wouldn't buy another Halo game

No one is arguing that it is universally affecting every encounter - but they undeniably alter the core game enough to be frustrating in many encounters.

I would say at least once or twice per match I find myself killed due to perk or AA advantage. Granted the other 7-10 deaths are due to bad decisions or poor skill. But that still equates to 5%-15% of my deaths come from frustrating and random game mechanics. That's too often for my taste.

Well look, if i played the game for 100k$, then yes maybe. I play for fun. 5-15% bullshit kill everyone once in a while doesnt affect me.

My comment was more like an example how 2 even teams will get a serious advantage, not about the randomness.

Not to all problems though and it creates a bigger problem for many that would be "there is no interesting/unannoying gametype in matchmaking"

If I would have to rely only on custom games, I wouldn't buy another Halo game

Yes well one team grabbing the middle rocket before the other team does the same thing. Halo has been like that forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom