• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem with Reach and Halo 4 is this: Halo was my Q3A/UT on console. No leveling up bullshit. No class structure. Just learn maps, learn weapons and if you're really into it learn spawn times. No need to spend your life on the shit. Join a game, play, have fun.

Then Bungie said "no fuck you, here's some shit that instead of being on the map, is now going to be in loadouts." Then 343 said "fuck you even further, here's probably the best base game since 2 but we've piled even more random shit on top of it. Fuck your game of chess, those encounters are obviously too boring. What we need is some fast paced Call of Duty like game where instant spawns, ordinances, and all kinds of gimmicky tedious gibby shit rule the day. That will be tons more fun than any OG Halo ever was." And look at the population numbers. You wanted to appeal to the most fickle fucking players and they already left your game high and dry.

Edit: Also I don't fucking need levels. I don't fucking need credits. I don't fucking need new armor. I don't need to unlock fucking emblems. I don't need commendations, achievements or whatever stupid fucking carrot bullshit you assholes feel the need to implement in these games. I just need a game that's balanced and accessible. Fuck. I've outgrown games. This sucks.

JackHerer

My biggest problem with Reach and Halo 4 is this: Halo was my Q3A/UT on console. No leveling up bullshit. No class structure. Just learn maps, learn weapons and if you're really into it learn spawn times. No need to spend your life on the shit. Join a game, play, have fun.

Then Bungie said "no fuck you, here's some shit that instead of being on the map, is now going to be in loadouts." Then 343 said "fuck you even further, here's probably the best base game since 2 but we've piled even more random shit on top of it. Fuck your game of chess, those encounters are obviously too boring. What we need is some fast paced Call of Duty like game where instant spawns, ordinances, and all kinds of gimmicky tedious gibby shit rule the day. That will be tons more fun than any OG Halo ever was." And look at the population numbers. You wanted to appeal to the most fickle fucking players and they already left your game high and dry.

But it's the "best selling Halo game ever."

The fact that 343 has been patting itself on the back over this while ignoring the population drop does not make me very optimistic that they will make drastic changes to their approach for Halo 5.

I think it is very likely that loadouts and AAs will still be in the game. Personal ordinance will still be in the game. It will still go for that audience. They will probably throw the older fans a bone and give us some of the customization options we lost. Maybe a more advanced Forge. Halo 5 will be better than Halo 4 but it probably will not be drastically different.

TheOddOne

But it's the "best selling Halo game ever."

The fact that 343 has been patting itself on the back
over this while ignoring the population drop does not make me very optimistic that they will make drastic changes to their approach for Halo 5.

I think it is very likely that loadouts and AAs will still be in the game. Personal ordinance will still be in the game. It will still go for that audience. They will probably throw the older fans a bone and give us some of the customization options we lost. Maybe a more advanced Forge. Halo 5 will be better than Halo 4 but it probably will not be drastically different.
You know that reporting sales figures is not patting yourself on the back, right? Reporting is just reporting, good or bad.

As much as people critique 343 for support, they are steadly improving--not quite there-- but it's a mark improvement where some of the bigger complaints are being examined.

Behind you is a symbol of oppression. Halo 4, where thousands of virgin gamers have languished under the name of this man, Frankie.jpg

Frankie, who has been held up to you as the savior of Halo!

You have been supplied with a false idol to stop you from tearing down this corrupt community! Let me tell you the truth about Frankie from the words of Halo's, community cartographer, Fyrewulf:

"Day 1 sales don't mean much when your a franchise game. Sales don't reflect quality until the next game after everyone played the last one. But sure, keep digging up the old chestnut of "woe is us, we had to build a studio / hire people while making the game". OWN YOUR SHIT. But I think this just goes back to my point that you're wasting your breath if you think 343 gives a shit about any of your feedback. My reward was being called "someone who didn't know what he was talking about" by someone else that works there after I helped. If you think it's embarassing for them, I feel like a total idiot in comparison."

And do you accept this man's proclamation? Or do you accept the deceit of all these liars? Of all the CORRUPT?

We take Halo from the corrupt! The outsourced! The oppressors of a legacy of gameplay who have kept you down with myths of trust, and we give it back to you... the people. Halo is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by not playing Halo 4, and doing something else! Step forward those who would serve. For an army will be raised. The Halo 4 sustain team will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Grifball courts will be convened. Dorito XP spoils will be enjoyed. Donging will be had. The CC's will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great community... it will endure.

Halo will survive!
i liked it

Nebula

Halo 5 really needs to deliver on bringing back Halo 2/Halo 3 style gameplay and try to build on that instead of throwing in more crap. I honestly believe that going backwards in the only solution right now because we're 2 games
(Reach, 4 if you couldn't guess)
down the current road, and it's not been an entertaining ride.

Stuff that needs removing, changing or adding in the next release, or even on Halo 4:

Loadouts*
Personal Ordnance (scorestreaks)
Instant Respawn
'Random' Global Ordnance
Poor asymmetrical maps
Using symmetrical gametypes on asymmetrical maps
Less heavies style BTB
BTB Objective
Vehicle health changed to Halo 3 style
Removal of Anti vehicle Snipers/Rifles.
No Flinch
Descoping
Faster strafe speed
No bloom/recoil. Shooting accurately should be entirely down to the players ability to aim.

Not so much gameplay related but still needs addressing:

More in depth sound options

*The only way I wouldn't mind loadouts is if it was like this:

Primary Rifle (LightRifle, BR, Carbine, DMR)
Secondary (AR, Suppressor, Storm Rifle, Magnum)
FRAGS
I wouldn't mind Thruster Pack being the only AA in the game as well.

I most likely missed something, feel free to let me know.

Nebula

Eli should have been taken over to 343. I love his stuff.

Eli is great.

Speaking of decent Youtubers. PaulB has pretty much quit Xbox. Halo 4 turned a massive Halo fan into a guy who doesn't even want to associate with the console it released on anymore.

He most likely quit Xbox because he spoke about going out with friends more and being more active but it's hilarious how Halo 4 was so bad that he looked elsewhere for enjoyment.

Nebula

Am I the only one who thinks Monday is a bad day to roll out updates? Surely Friday would be better as you get more players on the weekend and with that comes the possibility of more feedback.

Also it just gets me down knowing I can't really experience these updates for another 5 days after they roll out because I'm at work and normally play H4 on the weekend.

Havok

As of right now, both the Warthog and Mantis chain guns have received a 35% damage increase.
I can't understand at what point this seemed like a good idea. It's a half-assed bandaid for crappy vehicle survivability.

Even if it were somehow a good way to fix that problem, why buff the Mantis? It's already pretty powerful, especially with two firing modes, and it's the only vehicle that actually has some survivability...because its health operates most like the old shield tether system and it can regenerate its primary health pool.

Buffing damage to turn everything into a glass cannon is a really backwards way to fix the problem.

Gui_PT

I can't understand at what point this seemed like a good idea. It's a half-assed bandaid for crappy vehicle survivability.

Why buff the Mantis? It's already incredibly powerful and the only vehicle that actually has some survivability...because its health operates most like the old shield tether system and it can regenerate its primary health pool.

Buffing damage to turn everything into a glass cannon is a really backwards way to fix the problem.

Remove PP from loadouts . Vehicles are no longer useless.

Halo 5: We go back to go forward

Equal starts for all spartans. One utility weapon with a high learning curve that is useful in all situations but the master of none. All power weapons/abilities/equipment/power ups returned to on map pickups. Sprint scrapped in favour of a higher base speed. Recognise that Halo was supremely popular because it was a pick up and play FPS with endless depth not a time-participation based RPG leveller. Smaller maps prioritised. Halo theatre super phuntyme. Social sharing functions enhanced. Completely forget chanelling resources into co-op modes that DO. NOT. WORK. WITH. LOCKSTEP. (Or whatever the co-op netcode uses).

Karl2177

You would think Halo Reach's Banshee would have been warning enough that this doesn't work.

Reach's vehicles in general would have been warning enough. That type of health model doesn't work without a HUD indicator on vehicle damage. Even then, you'll see players abandon them as soon as they hit red damage status. When I was going through analyzing Halo CE large team games, that was one of the biggest things I noticed. It then either meant they had to be destroyed or you had to get some rookie player to make the mistake of getting in it.

What exactly are the "Slayer Pro" settings that the bulletin mentions? Is it traditional Pro like the playlist that was in at launch (3 set loadouts, no radar, grenade pickup, etc)?

Or is it something different entirely?

u4iX

Equal starts for all spartans. One utility weapon with a high learning curve that is useful in all situations but the master of none. All power weapons/abilities/equipment/power ups returned to on map pickups. Sprint scrapped in favour of a higher base speed. Recognise that Halo was supremely popular because it was a pick up and play FPS with endless depth not a time-participation based RPG leveller. Smaller maps prioritised. Halo theatre super phuntyme. Social sharing functions enhanced. Completely forget chanelling resources into co-op modes that DO. NOT. WORK. WITH. LOCKSTEP. (Or whatever the co-op netcode uses).

Get out of my head.

What exactly are the "Slayer Pro" settings that the bulletin mentions? Is it traditional Pro like the playlist that was in at launch (3 set loadouts, no radar, grenade pickup, etc)?

Or is it something different entirely?

Bravo clarified on twitter that it will mimic the Doubles Pro variant.

Fuchsdh

Reach's vehicles in general would have been warning enough. That type of health model doesn't work without a HUD indicator on vehicle damage. Even then, you'll see players abandon them as soon as they hit red damage status. When I was going through analyzing Halo CE large team games, that was one of the biggest things I noticed. It then either meant they had to be destroyed or you had to get some rookie player to make the mistake of getting in it.

Yeah the Halo 3 method of tying it to your health makes a lot more sense and we should go back to it.

I think the H4 system of slight vehicle regen is better than Reach's, but when the vehicle will still explode from a single stick and you can't tell that's an issue.

Yeah, removing plasma pistols and grenades from loadouts would help passively buff vehicles, but I still think they need a slight bump in damage; people survive way too long under sustained Warthog fire to get close for those sticks and such as it is.

u4iX

Yeah the Halo 3 method of tying it to your health makes a lot more sense and we should go back to it.

I think the H4 system of slight vehicle regen is better than Reach's, but when the vehicle will still explode from a single stick and you can't tell that's an issue.

Yeah, removing plasma pistols and grenades from loadouts would help passively buff vehicles, but I still think they need a slight bump in damage; people survive way too long under sustained Warthog fire to get close for those sticks and such as it is.

Chaingun damage is getting buffed with the weapon tuning.

IHaveIce

Banned
Complex out of IS? Slayer Pro in IS??

YES. At least a good start.

Still don't get why Neighbor is there but ok.

Edit:
He lives somewhat close and is an old friend of Bravo's.

Ah ok, I just thought it was weird, he dropped Halo 4 really fast, if theywanted another pro why not someone who is playing constantly.

But maybe it isa good idea to let pros play who dropped Halo 4 and listen to their concerns.....Bring Roy, Lunchbox etc also there

343, I can understand, but Bungie was unforgiveble for how much they devolved the fileshare system in reach.

Nebula

Means very little to me to be honest. Plasma Pistol will still stop a vehicle dead, and have huge homing capability. People will still spam stickies because they will always have instant access to up to 3 from spawn.

Fuchsdh

I know, and I think that's a good thing, irrespective of other issues with vehicles in the game. Considering Hogs are potential double or triple kills just waiting to be zapped, I think they should be formidable.

u4iX

Means very little to me to be honest. Plasma Pistol will still stop a vehicle dead, and have huge homing capability. People will still spam stickies because they will always have instant access to up to 3 from spawn.

Yeah, wasn't disagreeing.

Was just letting someone who was talking about turret damage know they were getting a buff...

willow ve

Equal starts for all spartans. One utility weapon with a high learning curve that is useful in all situations but the master of none. All power weapons/capabilities/equipment/power ups returned to on map pickups. Sprint scrapped in favour of a higher base speed. Recognise that Halo was supremely popular because it was a pick up and play FPS with endless depth not a time-participation based RPG leveller. Smaller maps prioritised. Halo theatre super phuntyme. Social sharing functions enhanced. Completely forget chanelling resources into co-op modes that DO. NOT. WORK. WITH. LOCKSTEP. (Or whatever the co-op netcode uses).
If 5 isn't a return to arena style play like 2 and 3 I'll be buying it used. That way some disappointed kid gets my money and I "vote with my wallet" while still getting some Halo.

I mean we're all going to buy the game no matter how much shit they throw into it.

Nebula

If 5 isn't a return to arena style play like 2 and 3 I'll be buying it used. That way some disappointed kid gets my money and I "vote with my wallet" while still getting some Halo.

I mean we're all going to buy the game no matter how much shit they throw into it.

I've already decided that I'll be renting it for the campaign and if news of the multiplayer, and my experience during the 3 days/5 days I rent it is disappointing I'll not be picking it up. Halo was a game I could trust to jump in blinded by the hype because I knew it would deliver. Not anymore.

Let's hope 343 realise how much is riding on a Halo release this time.

Yeah, wasn't disagreeing.

Was just letting someone who was talking about turret damage know they were getting a buff...

I was just offering my opinion on the buff. Never meant to call you out or anything like that.

Striker

I know, and I think that's a good thing, irrespective of other issues with vehicles in the game. Considering Hogs are potential double or triple kills just waiting to be zapped, I think they should be formidable.
Warthogs were fine until PP charges kept stalling you, or players were camping with plasma 'nades around a rock or tree. If they had no EMP on there, and the maps weren't so restricted in maneuverability, it was be far less annoying. The way of uber-powerful chaingun like Halo 3 isn't a fix, it's putting one more powerful counter in to faceoff with another.

Nebula

The issue is that I see people walk out in the open all the time on Halo 4, and just stick/PP any vehicle that happens to come by them. It's ridiculous how vehicles went from something you planned an attack on by waiting in your base until it got close enough to Power Drain/Stick, or had some team mates BR/Frag it until it flipped out to something you sit there shooting at with your DMR and then Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenade when it gets close enough. I rarely come across anyone who hides from a Hog or Ghost anymore because 90% of the time they have either a PP or Plasma nades in the loadout they have on.

I don't think making the turret stronger is a solution when how strong the turret is isn't the reason it gets shit on.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love how the back patting continued at 343 with a video of them winning game of the year. Welp.

They got voted by fans to win the award, were they supposed to just throw it in a closet and never mention it? I don't see anything wrong with thanking people.

The rest of the bulletin is about all the fixes coming, so not like they aren't trying at least.

When is the TU live stream?

Via the Bulletin it's tomorrow (Friday) at 2PM PDT.

The issue is that I see people walk out in the open all the time on Halo 4, and just stick/PP any vehicle that happens to come by them. It's ridiculous how vehicles went from something you planned an attack on by waiting in your base until it got close enough to Power Drain/Stick, or had some team mates BR/Frag it until it flipped out to something you sit there shooting at with your DMR and then Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenade when it gets close enough. I rarely come across anyone who hides from a Hog or Ghost anymore because 90% of the time they have either a PP or Plasma nades in the loadout they have on.

I don't think making the turret stronger is a solution when how strong the turret is isn't the reason it gets shit on.

Really good point about the strategy that used to go into taking out vehicles. I played 5v5 standoff yesterday against a to5 gens. They secured laser and got their hog running. Thankfully most of my team had their mics plugged in (seems there's a lot less people in party chat on 3) and then together we minimised the deaths and eventually managed to power drain and flip the hog with frags. We went on to win the game. When I contrast that game of cat and mouse and strategy with the on-a-plate-from-spawn plasma pistol/plasma nade combo plus point and click DMR pecking at vehicles, it's no wonder to me why BTB and vehicle play in general is a one way cul-de-sac of linear outcomes.

How good? If I was being completely honest if say they probably are passable but ultimately not good.

Just like almost all forge maps maybe besides onslaught n amplified which were rare cases

Also you've been testing with 4v4 right so I assume that's the playlist size?

u4iX

How good? If I was being completely honest if say they probably are passable but ultimately not good.

Just like almost all forge maps maybe besides onslaught n amplified which were rare cases

vESj1.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm pumped. What's the playlist size? Is it all Infinity Slayer or a mix?

4v4. Gametypes are in the bulletin. Mix of Slayer and Objective. Had to pull the gametypes straight from MM which is kind of a bummer but that's the way it goes. *shrug*

I assume Forgotten's old name was Fuggetaboudit? The bigger objective map we played? This one was gooood.

And Onyx and Ender yiiiiss

Yes.

You just gotta play it bro. Onyx is based on Midship and is quickly becoming a competitive fan favorite. That will probably be your favorite out of the bunch.

Also you've been testing with 4v4 right so I assume that's the playlist size?

Passable in that you were always gonna pass on playing them no matter what they were, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom