• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current State of Weapon Tuning
Let’s talk a bit more about what’s going on with weapon tuning. While we’re certainly nearing the final build, we’re also looking forward to receiving feedback from our community guests as well as those watching the live stream from home: you! This feedback will undoubtedly provide valuable insight because Friday’s live stream will be the world premiere of our sandbox tuning. Additionally, we’ll continue updating you with our progress in each Bulletin. For now, I sat down with Quinn to grab some details about the vehicle weapon tuning, as it seems some of you are particularly interested in this area.

Vehicle Weapon Tuning Details

We’ve mentioned that we’ve been looking at the overall state of game types with vehicular combat and attempting to find a balance with vehicle weapons that makes them the perfect mix of deadly, viable, and, of course, balanced. As of right now, both the Warthog and Mantis chain guns have received a 35% damage increase. In current testing, this increase provides a deadly method for objective play and Slayer domination for players who utilize vehicle play.

Also, we’ve noticed a ton of questions about the schedule of our weapon tuning, so I sat down with several members of the Matchmaking Systems Team to get some insight into what tweaking sandbox settings requires (and what can go wrong):
The biggest difficulty in tuning the Halo 4 sandbox is that we support so many different modes (at a high level, we have Campaign, Spartan Ops, and Multiplayer). But each of those gets broken down even further: co-op (1-4 players), difficulty levels, Skulls, Forge, saved films, and a plethora of different multiplayer modes, some of which have different traits that further modify sandbox elements. From that perspective, just fully vetting and testing everything can be an incredibly complex and challenging problem. What might seem like a relatively simple change can quickly turn into a logistical nightmare for our testing team. Start changing multiple things at the same time, and it gets even harder! And that’s just looking at things from a high level and ignoring the impact of loadouts and the fact that our low-level moment-to-moment gameplay provides players with so many tactical choices and interplay (golden triangle of guns/melee/grenades + Armor Abilities, vehicles, and regenerating health/shields + headshots, and so on).

-Matchmaking Systems Team
As you can begin to see, we have to be very delicate with sandbox tuning not only due to how each change affects the entire sandbox, but also due to technical concerns. These include verifying that all animations, audio effects, and more function correctly as we tweak the firing rate, reload speed, and other values. As a result, our weeks of testing and tweaking will ensure that the final changes, when delivered on June 3, will provide the most optimal multiplayer experiences.
Matchmaking Playlist Update
This coming Monday, we have some new stuff coming to Matchmaking. As usual, I’m excited, and I want to tell you about it. In Spartan Ops, we’ll be featuring an encore of episode 7, and in War Games, we'll be adding a playlist and updating several others.

Premiering this coming week is the Community Forge Island playlist, which brings with it 6 new community-made maps on Forge Island, and will be available until the June 3rd Matchmaking Playlist Update. If you haven’t yet downloaded the free Forge Island canvas, head here to download to your Xbox 360.

Please remember to head to the War Games Feedback section and give us your thoughts on the maps and playlist overall. The Community Cartographers and Forgers will review the feedback prior to selecting which of these fine maps will potentially make their way into Halo 4’s official playlists in future updates.

In addition, Big Team Infinity Slayer and Infinity Slayer have some updates as well.

Big Team Infinity Slayer:
Slayer Pro added to voting options.
Complex added to map rotation.
Voting options reorganized to provide increased variety.
Infinity Slayer:
Slayer Pro added to voting options.
Complex removed from map rotation.
Voting options reorganized to provide increased variety.
If there’s no Matchmaking Update next week, it’s because I am practicing my arm wrestling strategies.

All I saw really was 35% increase on vehicle weapons, and then balancing the balance is tough for the rest of it.

I may pick it up this weekend to see the current state of things before the patch goes live. Should be fun!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
both of those are

so terrible :(

NTHWT2W.gif

malfcn

Wtf at the match I was just in..4 people simultaneously shooting the same guy and he just dances around and kills everyone else.

So ive been listening to the latest HaloGaf podcast and it got me wondering, is it safe to say that the CSR will reset once the weapon tuning is released?

edit: and you know which map id like to see again, Containment. Great big team CTF map.

Avalanche was good but the hog felt a bit useless thanks to the cliffs. Not a fan of BTB maps that introduce massive vertically and make it hard to access or use a vehicle on that area. (Stickies spawned on the ones connecting to middle cave and rockets on the turret ones.) Not bad outside of hog use though.

Yeah, if the ramps up to the cliffs were more accessible for vehicles, it would have been better. I still had tons of fun on that map though. Multi-Flag, and Assault were so fun.

And is it weird if I actually enjoyed Avalanche Heavies?

Yeah the Halo 3 method of tying it to your health makes a lot more sense and we should go back to it.

I think the H4 system of slight vehicle regen is better than Reach's, but when the vehicle will still explode from a single stick and you can't tell that's an issue.

Yeah, removing plasma pistols and grenades from loadouts would help passively buff vehicles, but I still think they need a slight bump in damage; people survive way too long under sustained Warthog fire to get close for those sticks and such as it is.

I know, and I think that's a good thing, irrespective of other issues with vehicles in the game. Considering Hogs are potential double or triple kills just waiting to be zapped, I think they should be formidable.

mtpp5xo.gif

Tashi, will Forge World be a required download going forward?

EDIT: Shit, forgot Tashi is probably boarding the plane with his golden ticket any time now. Anyone else have thoughts?

Sai-kun

Banned
And is it weird if I actually enjoyed Avalanche Heavies?

Avalanche heavies wasn't overly competitive, it was just fucking fun no matter who won, because it was so damn crazy. Definitely my favorite map and gametype towards the end of H3's lifespan. I always enjoyed our HaloGAF games on that too.

I actually just straight up really liked HaloGAF games during H3. They were always fun, nobody was too aggressive or serious, and people were rad. I miss the [ [ H A L O ] ] map/gametype too. Shit was fucking hilarious with 16 people.

Saucey

Neo Member
So ive been listening to the latest HaloGaf podcast and it got me wondering, is it safe to say that the CSR will reset once the weapon tuning is released?

edit: and you know which map id like to see again, Containment. Great big team CTF map.

I hope they dont plan on resetting CSR.. Seems a little too early for that imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom