• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

Now that Team Objective is a 6v6 playlist, Oddball on Exile is a thing that exists. You can now play Adrift, Abandon, and Solace with 12 players in what is supposed to be a semi-competitive playlist. They also put Settler, which is just downright awful, in there.

Why?

Castle turned out better than I expected, I'll say that much. I haven't played Outcast but the other two don't play as large as they look. 4v4 seemed fine.

That sounds pretty terrible. Adrift might be ok but Solace and especially Abandon should not be played 6v6.

Daybreak and Perdition are pretty decent but are slightly too large for 4v4. It is playable but not ideal. They should change the playlist back to 6v6 like originally planned. I'd also like to see these maps in big team because they are better than all the on-disc BTB maps.

The ground texture on Daybreak looks like it was ripped straight out of Reach though.

Blueblur1

I've never seen DLC for a Halo game go on sale so quickly. That is telling.

So we get Castle today and that ends all of the already announced Halo DLC that we knew was coming. My question is what happens now? They got the maps about pretty quickly and announced 3 DLC before the game launched. Now we have no news of additional maps. We still need more small maps. 4v4 and 2v2 sized maps. Spartan Opps season 2? What direction will they go now? Will we hear something at E3? Thoughts?

I'd rather they stop making maps for Halo 4 and save any potentially good ideas for the next game (though that may turn out to be garbage as well).

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can't believe Chief just left Dustin Echoes at Installation 04. Dick move

you made me lol

Sheeit. That used to be around the upper limit of the champion prize for Halo. I think the largest halo check I've seen was 100,000.

Dat activision money and popularity.

Were Destiny to have some kind of "competitive" "multiplayer" this will be hugely benificial. Activision is smart enough to recognize that they didn't sign a 10 year contract with Bungie to neglect the property.

First impressions on Castle?

I've had it for a few days but I'll share my feedback now:

Daybreak: Very atmospheric. Could have been amazing if symmetric, forerunner palette, and less deadspace, but ultimately falls short. Plays okay.

Perdition: At first it feels like a city, but then you realize it's basically an urban nuclear reactor. Lots of awkward sight lines and the spawns aren't the greatest. The Rockethog is in the weirdest location, and you can basically splatter blue team with it when they try and get it.

Outcast: Terrain is distracting. It had potential to feel like a MP map from Reach's Pillar of Autumn mission, but it just ends up being awkward. The transport in the background is cool though.

I'll have to get more games to see for sure, but I wasn't impressed. For such a huge emphasis on BTB, the very aspect of what makes it great - vehicle combat - is absent. Outcast has a Wraith, Hogs, and Mantis, but there's hardly any room for them on their own.

There are 20ish maps now but only 25% of them are enjoyable.

FEATURES EXPANSIVE "COMPETITIVE" "MULTIPLAYER"

ENGAGE IN A CINEMATIC "EXPERIENCE"

WAGE WAR ACROSS "SEVERAL" ENVIRONMENTS

FROM THE "CREATORS" OF HALO

Tawpgun

you made me lol

Were Destiny to have some kind of "competitive" "multiplayer" this will be hugely benificial. Activision is smart enough to recognize that they didn't sign a 10 year contract with Bungie to neglect the property.

While I think there will be some form of PvP combat for sure... I'm not holding my breath for anything competitively viable. I feel like PvP combat is going to be a VERY small part of this game. I hope I'm proven wrong and they pull all the stops for a great experience. But I doubt it will be on the scope of Halo multiplayer in terms of customization, gametypes etc.

But who knows.

TheOddOne

'Halo 4' team to consider micro-transactions for cosmetic items
Halo 4 could introduce micro-transactions, it has been revealed.

Executive producer Dan Ayoub said it is currently "looking at" how Gears of War offers bonus cosmetic items for a small fee.

"I think Halo certainly has the potiental for those kinds of things," Ayoub told Digital Spy.

"We don't have too much to talk about in terms of our plans down that line, but it's certainly something... we've seen the fans of Gears are enjoying, and if it's something we think our community is going to enjoy, it's something we'll seriously talk about."

The release of the 'Castle' map pack this week completes the Halo 4 season pass, but Ayoub suggested that more content could be on the way.

Fan feedback will help decide the game's future, he said, but added that "anything we do will be pretty deliberate".

"Obviously our commitment is always that we're going to make sure there's something for people to do on Halo, whether it's playlists, or new maps or new content, something like that," he explained.

"We can't say too much about the specifics we're planning, but what we can say is we don't take that commitment lightly, and people should keep their eyes open for cool stuff."
Moar content and F2P crappy things.

Xbox Austria has a promotion online which seems to be international.
image.axd

We know you are going to get a exclusive Xbox Live avatar shirt if you reach CSR 35 in Castle DLC playlist, but we did not know:
If you play 5 SpartanOps Mission on Thursday, you will unlock an exclusive Xbox Live Avatar shirt as well.

I am not sure when HaloWaypoint will publish this information, but if you can read German, you will find more details at the official Xbox Austria blog entry.

Havok

Executive producer Dan Ayoub said it is currently "looking at" how Gears of War offers bonus cosmetic items for a small fee.
3UgnrrS.png

"small fee"

(or individual pieces for between 3 and 5 dollars each! what a steal!)

Cosmetic stuff is fine, I don't really care either way as long as the game has enough core content on the disc (which I don't feel Judgment had), but fees for Gears skins aren't what I'd call small.

GrizzNKev

Banned
FEATURES EXPANSIVE "COMPETITIVE" "MULTIPLAYER"

ENGAGE IN A CINEMATIC "EXPERIENCE"

WAGE WAR ACROSS "SEVERAL" ENVIRONMENTS

FROM THE "CREATORS" OF HALO

"FEELS" LIKE HALO.

I lost my shit at the bolded. You guys are hilarious.

While I think there will be some form of PvP combat for sure... I'm not holding my breath for anything competitively viable. I feel like PvP combat is going to be a VERY small part of this game. I hope I'm proven wrong and they pull all the stops for a great experience. But I doubt it will be on the scope of Halo multiplayer in terms of customization, gametypes etc.

But who knows.

I'm feeling the same. Like Halo 1, in a lot of ways I see this as the mysterious, world-focused journey of discovery for what the Destiny franchise will become. I used the silly quotes because of how Bungie has been very careful with the wording they're using when describing online interactions.

Oh awesome. Take away my unicorn emblem and sell it back to me huh?

No fucking thanks. I'll just add that to my list of things that will cause me to never buy another Halo game if they happen.

Omni

lol rip Halo

Not too bad if implemented properly... especially if just cosmetic. The moment they start charging for weapons or other gameplay elements is the moment I leave this franchise behind however

Wait, aren't these the things like the Web Skin and Camo stuff that we got for pre-order bonuses?

I guess that's no surprise. They already said they'll become available for everyone down the road.

Paid-for cosmetic items are way, way better than gameplay unlocks, guys. I'd take an unrelenting shit-torrent of the former over what we had to suffer with the latter in Halo 4.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Where exactly in that story does Dan say this is something we're considering for Halo 4?

He doesn't say that in the story? Oh, ok then.

I don't see it happening in Halo 4. Halo 4 is already done and I don't see you guys making new waves of that kind of stuff to sell us.

But Gears is doing it, CoD is doing it now too. If it's a consideration and a trend, it feels likely.

Gui_PT

I like how the folks at 343 continue to copy what the other "cool" games are doing.

As if what they copied for Halo 4 already made the game a success.

Oh wait, this game is doing so poorly I actually feel bad for it.

Just let Halo be Halo broskies.

Hey, why not copy stuff from MLP? It's so successful!

I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

Halo: Reach MLG > Halo 4: Team Throwdown
Halo 3: MLG > Halo 4: Team Throwdown
1-50 H2&3 > HR "Arena" > CSR

Fans: "Please bring back 1-50 Ranks"
343: Sure. Fyi, 1-50 Boosting Is Vury Bad Sooooo.. We're Introducing CSR!
Fans: Is it In-Game Ranks? Trueskill Based Ranking System?
343: More Details Coming SOOOON!
Fans: *Sigh* ...
343: Here's our 1-50 CSR system. (Non-Pure) Competitive and Fun! Via WAYPOINT Only*
BK Fan: OMFG Halo 2 Ranks! Thnx 343!
Veteran Fan: *DoubleFacePalm*

Halo: Reach MLG > Halo 4: Team Throwdown
Halo 3: MLG > Halo 4: Team Throwdown
1-50 H2&3 > HR "Arena" > CSR

Fans: "Please bring back 1-50 Ranks"
343: Sure. Fyi, 1-50 Boosting Is Vury Bad Sooooo.. We're Introducing CSR!
Fans: Is it In-Game Ranks? Trueskill Based Ranking System?
343: More Details Coming SOOOON!
Fans: *Sigh* ...
343: Here's our 1-50 CSR system. (Non-Pure) Competitive and Fun! Via WAYPOINT Only*
BK Fan: OMFG Halo 2 Ranks! Thnx 343!
Veteran Fan: *DoubleFacePalm*

How is your shift key not broken yet?

I think the bolded is one the biggest failings of Halo 4's campaign. The rapidly disappearing weapons really break the flow of the classic Halo gameplay and before long everything else falls apart with it.
In b4 the usual guys who say we're all noobs because we can't headshot people with suppressors yet or haven't adapted. It's one of the biggest complaints in the game. You can't even attempt to melee them either. Weapons disappear too fast and ammo boxes are too far and few with the damage sponge enemies.

Ugh. This again. Yes, disappearing weapons are a problem and fucking stupid. No, there is nothing anywhere near a shortage of useful weapons or ammo in the campaign as people imply, even on Legendary. E X P L O R E...
At the bolded, wat?

i don't think jon blow is pretentious, I think he believes completely in himself and doesn't care if people agree or disagree with his opinions, and that attitude can rub people the wrong way

But he does. He got all pissy when reviewers and commenters didn't interpret and enjoy his game like he wanted. Plus, many of his opinions are either quite debatable or plain wrong. Who knows? Maybe it's because most of us plebians don't use stand-up computer keyboards. Through ergonomics we gain clarity?

After what has been essentially a 7 month winter (insert GoT joke here), New Mexico has resorted to its usual Spring bullshit of no moisture and "Blowing Dust Advisories". Fuck my allergies.

"...and if it's something we think our community is going to enjoy, it's something we'll seriously talk about."
I dunno, guys, it seems like you might want to check your priorities on this first point. I think there's some other stuff your community might enjoy more.

Omni

Where exactly in that story does Dan say this is something we're considering for Halo 4?

He doesn't say that in the story? Oh, ok then.
I guess that settles that, then.

I'd probably buy a MK V armour set if it were available. Just sayin'
I like how the folks at 343 continue to copy what the other "cool" games are doing.

As if what they copied for Halo 4 already made the game a success.

Oh wait, this game is doing so poorly I actually bad for it.

Just let Halo be Halo broskies.

Hey, why not copy stuff from MLP? It's so successful!

I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

CyReN

Still having War Games Pass issues with the Castle Map Pack, this is 2/2 it has happened with me (I got Majestic Map Pack early).

It's hilarious to me that 343 chose the same acronym used for 'Corporate Social Responsibility'.

CSR is a process with the aim to embrace responsibility for the company's actions and encourage a positive impact through its activities on the environment, consumers, employees, communities, stakeholders and all other members of the public sphere who may also be considered as stakeholders.

Tawpgun

Don't know why people would cry over cosmetic microtransactions. Who gives a shit? Some people want a pretty little skin or armor. As long as the game has plenty of free cosmetics and armor that make sense then whatever. Stuff like established armor sets and emblems should be available for free in game. We should never see something like MkV or VI armor or established emblems being behind a paywall.

But weapon skins, extra armor, extra emblems and stuff, sure why not. Don't give a shit.

343 hasn't been meeting my standards, but I'll still put faith in them that they won't put gameplay stuff behind a paywall. I hate that gameplay affecting unlocks are even in the game.

ACTIVE CAMO ONLY 800 MSP

KEYS TO THE GAUSS HOG ONLY 1200 MSP

GrizzNKev

Banned
Actually yeah I'm gonna backpedal. Put any cosmetics you want behind a paywall EXCEPT THE UNICORN EMBLEM. Which I am still waiting to hear about. Deal?

CyReN

Maps downloaded after restarting the game a few times.

How did they forget to put CSR in the weekly screen update? Unless you read the blog/follow twitter/understand what CSR means you will have no idea it's even live.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maps downloaded after restarting the game a few times.

How did they forget to put CSR in the weekly screen update? Unless you read the blog/follow twitter/understand what CSR means you will have no idea it's even live.
Dude it is 343 they had to fix fiesta..FIESTA before it was okey again, I'm not surprised at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom