• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to call it my ignore list. It's a shame I have myself ignored, because I think I am high-larious.

Ignore lists? Please.

ip3Prk3JHi2NG.jpg

Havok

Anyway, I came in here looking for serious impressions of the new maps. Anyone up for a couple sentences of rational thoughts about them before I grab 'em tonight?
They're okay, a much better pack than something like Crimson. I still haven't managed to play Outcast since all that has popped up for me is SWAT and that sounds like the worst thing ever. Gametypes in the Castle playlist kind of stink, but that's sort of the case in the game as a whole.

I've played mostly CTF on both Daybreak and Perdition, and they're fine with a couple of caveats: Daybreak's bases are functionally symmetrical according to Certain Affinity, but in my experience that is absolutely not the case with the mancannon disparity between them - Red is at a big disadvantage in CTF because of their base. The Banshee is still as overpowered as ever, I was playing sloppily and still got a few kills in it without any real problems. It has a lot of space on the sides of the map but is pretty squished from end to end, which lets it take smaller player counts fairly easily.

Perdition doesn't claim functional symmetry and is very distinctly asymmetric, so objective stuff is going to be kind of weird with Halo 4's symmetric gametypes. I have a feeling that blue base on Perdition will be very hard to break into and out of if a team gets it on lockdown because it's got long sightlines and not a lot of cover surrounding it, which will make flag runs a real pain in the ass. That map has a rocket hog, which is still simultaneously a pain in the ass and kind of useless, as far as I could tell.

It'll take some more time with them, and I'd like to eventually play Outcast, but I'm not getting the same incredibly underwhelmed feeling I did when Crimson was released and I got to play them. My opinions of the Majestic pack have fluctuated pretty severely since its release and I'm sure that'll happen again with this when I get some more games in it, but I think I can recommend Castle to people who enjoy Halo 4 (which might be a big roadblock to some). I think it's probably a misconception that these maps, at least the two I've played, have been branded as BTB maps. Castle DLC is a 4v4 playlist, and they played okay. 343's weird visions of 5v5 CTF or the new 6v6 Objective (that hurts to even think about) with the proper gametypes and settings (another big roadblock) will be fine, but I'd actually hesitate putting 16 players on something like Daybreak. It's sized closer to maps like Burial Mounds or Standoff, albeit expanded for sprint, than an actual big team map.

Seems like a decent number of people bought Castle, since it's currently the second highest playlist (and was the highest earlier, numbers on par with Majestic DLC), so hopefully DLC matching will be good. It's been decent with Majestic, and neither of these two are in a situation where Crimson was, when the Crimson playlist dropped to less than 10% of its original population when they revoked the rights to free users.

If it's anything Quinn, Bravo, and Josh (new ranks guy) are looking into the issues via Gandhi twitch chat. It's something, I feel kinda bad at this point they seem to try and release new stuff or fix things and it goes wrong.

It seems pandemic since H4's release and is really unfortunate. Still at work so I haven't witnessed anything for myself yet, but the fact that SOMETHING always goes wrong with even the minor changes or updates is kind of comical at this point.

As far as the thread title being disrespectful, maybe it's just me, but a simple play on words expressing nostalgia doesn't seem like that big of a deal. 343 are all big boys (and girls) and I'm sure they can handle it. If it mentioned specific people that may be a different story.

Danny 117

This game is so shit. Jumped on for a few games since Castle is out and what a waste of time it was.. sprint bullshit, plasma sticky bullshit, camo bullshit.

Urgh

Back to Halo Wars.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This game is so shit. Jumped on for a few games since Castle is out and what a waste of time it was.. sprint bullshit, plasma sticky bullshit, camo bullshit.

Urgh

Back to Halo Wars.

Don't you hate on plasma grenades.

wow... CSR doesn't even match you fairly. I'm a 42 with a team of 35s+ getting matched up against 12s.

Maybe there aren't enough 35+'s yet to fill all the requests? Better than waiting an hour for one match. It's day 1.

You're posting a lot in the past day or two. I thought you had washed your hands of Halo 4 and left this place?
I post in the football thread. And I recently bought and played Bioshock Infinite. And there was some funny Microsoft stuff. So I got sucked back in and caught up on what's going on with Halo.

Danny 117

It's just that I encountered a few scenarios where the plasma grenades on spawn let the enemy get a cheap stick on me before they died. Very annoying. Also plasma pistol on spawn isn't even a good idea either.

I'd rather it goes back to the best man winning the battles in this series.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why? Giving people the ability to start off with two plasma grenades breaks the game. More than half the kills I see are not skilled throws, but martyrdom type sticks from people who got outplayed.

Because I love sticky grenades in all Halo games. Yes, I may be overpowered starting with them though, but that's because I'm awesome. I do miss the more-skilled days of plasma grenade launching though. It truly is an art. I may suck at shooting, but I'll bank a grenade off 3 walls and get you, or drive you to the base like no one else can!

It would obviously take a few days for CSR to balance, especially with the population as it is. Give it a while before completely jumping down their throats.
I post in the football thread. And I recently bought and played Bioshock Infinite. And there was some funny Microsoft stuff. So I got sucked back in and caught up on what's going on with Halo.
Oh I know all about your footie antics *creepy tired glare*.

Righto, just wondering.

Tunavi

Banned
Thread title and thread regulars are extremely disrespectful to 343, especially considering some of them post here, or at least used to before they were driven off by the rudeness and negativity. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by how fun Halo 4 is. Much better than Reach IMO.
To be fair, we have no intentions of attacking individuals at 343; everyone who has attacked them personally has been perma-banned. I like both Frankie and David, but I'm incredibly disappointed with the company as a whole.

Whelp, I purchased the season pass, so I guess I'll play some Halo 4.

I'll be doing the no fun dance in no time.

Also, totally random, but the last few weeks the disc tray on my Xbox will just close on its own after being open for about 15 seconds. Anyone else have this happen to an Xbox?

This thread is quiiiiiite the circle jerk lately. Time of the month again?
CUDbG.gif

heckfu pls
Maybe there aren't enough 35+'s yet to fill all the requests?

...It's day 1.

image.php

...I'm sorry.

randoms in my lobby are saying that 1-50 ranks arent happening, it's only a rumor.

lol

Were they the same people that lacked the ability to read or comprehend simple sentences that you were conversing with on reddit earlier?

Madness

The fuck is this shit? I just joined an infinity BTB match in progress where 4 guys on my team are all alone on the field and I can't respawn and neither can the other team. They're just shooting open air.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
image.php

...I'm sorry.

Ok this time what I said was completely legitmate. If there are not enough people that are at level 35, then the system must put you versus lower ranked players, otherwise you'd wait forever until 4 35 ranked players were able to play.

But you were joking, so:

WGhVRLg.gif

Madness

If ranks are out, but no one playing can see them, do they really exist?

I don't even think they were mentioned in the matchmaking update popup. The only mention of ranks and csr has been outside the game ie Waypoint, that Halo week drop bravo video.

wwm0nkey

So new MurderMiners update should be hitting by Thursday at the earliest and Friday at the latest and they are now adding this in the update as well

71454_349713118464023_1146795110_n.jpg

So 4v4 CTF anyone?

Dirtbag

They're okay, a much better pack than something like Crimson. I still haven't managed to play Outcast since all that has popped up for me is SWAT and that sounds like the worst thing ever. Gametypes in the Castle playlist kind of stink, but that's sort of the case in the game as a whole.

I've played mostly CTF on both Daybreak and Perdition, and they're fine with a couple of caveats: Daybreak's bases are functionally symmetrical according to Certain Affinity, but in my experience that is absolutely not the case with the mancannon disparity between them - Red is at a big disadvantage in CTF because of their base. The Banshee is still as overpowered as ever, I was playing sloppily and still got a few kills in it without any real problems. It has a lot of space on the sides of the map but is pretty squished from end to end, which lets it take smaller player counts fairly easily.

Perdition doesn't claim functional symmetry and is very distinctly asymmetric, so objective stuff is going to be kind of weird with Halo 4's symmetric gametypes. I have a feeling that blue base on Perdition will be very hard to break into and out of if a team gets it on lockdown because it's got long sightlines and not a lot of cover surrounding it, which will make flag runs a real pain in the ass. That map has a rocket hog, which is still simultaneously a pain in the ass and kind of useless, as far as I could tell.

It'll take some more time with them, and I'd like to eventually play Outcast, but I'm not getting the same incredibly underwhelmed feeling I did when Crimson was released and I got to play them. My opinions of the Majestic pack have fluctuated pretty severely since its release and I'm sure that'll happen again with this when I get some more games in it, but I think I can recommend Castle to people who enjoy Halo 4 (which might be a big roadblock to some). I think it's probably a misconception that these maps, at least the two I've played, have been branded as BTB maps. Castle DLC is a 4v4 playlist, and they played okay. 343's weird visions of 5v5 CTF or the new 6v6 Objective (that hurts to even think about) with the proper gametypes and settings (another big roadblock) will be fine, but I'd actually hesitate putting 16 players on something like Daybreak. It's sized closer to maps like Burial Mounds or Standoff, albeit expanded for sprint, than an actual big team map.

Seems like a decent number of people bought Castle, since it's currently the second highest playlist (and was the highest earlier, numbers on par with Majestic DLC), so hopefully DLC matching will be good. It's been decent with Majestic, and neither of these two are in a situation where Crimson was, when the Crimson playlist dropped to less than 10% of its original population when they revoked the rights to free users.

Nice summary.
Again it sounds like we have maps designed with nothing in mind, or at least when there is a gamemode in mind like CTF on Daybreak they are functionally broken.

Meh.

EDIT: Well in that one video they did say that Outcast was made for Dominion, so I don't see that as something I'm going to care about anyway. Hrrm.

To play Halo 4 because I'm a masochist or to not play Halo 4 and do something productive. Hmm...

Fuck it I'm playing Fallout while the desktop is available.

So has 343i explained how the new skill system will work re: quitting? Cause with DIDO implemented this time around, I can tell you, I have quit a FUCK TON of matches....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom