• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell I don't even understand what he was getting so mad about.

I can tell you

- Compares Halo to Quake by saying it's dying down naturally and not because of developers
- Says Halo 3 was in decline because of CoD
- Cyren post screenshots of huge Halo 3 population
- Demands real stats that compare it to CoD
- Says CoD killed Halo 3 early on and there were magical stats to prove this
- Real stats are shown which prove him wrong
- Bails thread edit: nvm, banned, lol

I can tell you

- Compares Halo to Quake by saying it's dying down naturally and not because of developers
- Says Halo 3 was in decline because of CoD
- Cyren post screenshot of huge Halo 3 population
- Demands real stats that compare it to CoD
- Says CoD killed Halo 3 early on and there were magical stats to prove this
- Real stats are shown which prove him wrong
- Bails GAF

fixed

2007 - http://majornelson.com/2008/01/04/top-xbox-live-games-of-2007/
XMKM8KT.png

2008 - http://majornelson.com/2009/01/04/the-top-20-live-games-of-2008/
zU9f3rW.png

2009 - http://kotaku.com/5445031/2009s-most-popular-xbox-live-titles
tC9Ppv8.png

Are you done being wrong yet?
It's funny how that ended up turning around only once Reach came about, makes you wonder about the claims that Halo was only popular because of no competition.

What disappoints me to no end is that Halo 1, a game truly deserving of XBL Multiplayer, gets remade without XBL Multiplayer.
Come on, 343 was looking out for us. We wouldn't have wanted to split Reach's userbase would we.

Karl2177

Please don't post numbers, they don't mean anything here.

too bad

htW9gTm.png

The bottom row is the date in August, which is by nature of representing a specific parcel of time, allows me to inform context, since we all have basic knowledge of what was happening at that time (ie, ODST and MW2 are about to be launched, both of which with a massive ad campaign and the benefit of being established brands having massive FPS market presence).

But then the fans would abandon Reach :roll:

I didn't understand 343. Fans were abandoning Reach anyways. Might as well have fans leave Halo for Halo than leave Halo for CoD and never come back :/

Imagine if Halo 1 Multiplayer launches with the next Xbox and H2A gets released a year later for the 10 year anniversary?!

Day 1 buy for thousands of people, possibly millions.

----------

KAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

551543_499079883480601_1355237838_n.jpg

SO FUCKIN HYPED! Speaking of DBZ, the gaming industry is in dire need of a game like Earth's Special Forces.

Ghazi

What the hell was Antitype going on about? It was so entertaining that I actually read through all the pages he'd been posting in instead of just skipping to the most recent page.

Good shit.

It's funny how that ended up turning around only once Reach came about, makes you wonder about the claims that Halo was only popular because of no competition.
It's an accusation that fans say to themselves to make them feel like it's not Halo's fault. CoD just happened to be there when Halo got worse.

Imagine if Halo 1 Multiplayer launches with the next Xbox and H2A gets released a year later for the 10 year anniversary?!

Day 1 buy for thousands of people, possibly millions.

----------

KAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/551543_499079883480601_1355237838_n.jpg[/IM]

SO FUCKIN HYPED! [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQw1gXtx2Q"]Speaking of DBZ, the gaming industry is in dire need of a game like Earth's Special Forces.[/URL][/QUOTE]

There's no way that's real.

Tawpgun

For jooses

Let's talk about playlist management, HaloGAF.

Playlist management is something that has plagued Halo for years. Me, duncan and Claude were talking about this at PAX how we think they need to be more transparent in how the whole process works because to us playlist management seems braindead easy and some of the fixes that need to be made to the gametypes and maps could be done in 10 minutes in customs and forge, and yet it takes them months. Something else must be going on that makes it take that long and Halo fans are getting frustrated because no one will tell us why so we're left being angry at playlist management for being so seemingly incompetent.

Bravo has a GAF account, though he hasn't posted in forever and I don't know if he reads GAF anymore but I would love an explanation from him considering he's the playlist guy now. It doesn't, and shouldn't be a GAF exclusive either. Post that shit in the bulletin. "An inside look into Playlist management"

I wanna know why it takes months to get simple stuff fixed.

There's no way that's real.

It was on Facebook so it has to be real. Just like relationships.

:B

Come on, of all the things they've done, surely this is one that's made sense? People leaving Reach - why not give it an expansion? I doubt they wanted to manage 3 multiplayer player games at that time. I'm not saying I wouldn't have wanted it, but it was just unlikely.

Now if you want to put Halo on a yearly release, then go for it. But if a game doesn't last me at least 2 years, it makes no sense for me to buy it.

Come on, Ledge.. You're better than this.

What disappoints me to no end is that Halo 1, a game truly deserving of XBL Multiplayer, gets remade without XBL Multiplayer.

Come on, 343 was looking out for us. We wouldn't have wanted to split Reach's userbase would we.

Come on, of all the things they've done, surely this is one that's made sense? People leaving Reach - why not give it an expansion? I doubt they wanted to manage 3 multiplayer player games at that time. I'm not saying I wouldn't have wanted it, but it was just unlikely.

Maybe I'm just opposed to a yearly Halo. If a game doesn't last me at least 2 years, it makes no sense for me to buy it. I would have felt pretty disappointed if something came along and halved Reach's already diminishing population early.

Come on, Ledge.. You're better than this.

Read the edit. A game with a 1 year lifespan sucks for Custom Games Forgers. Most good maps and gametypes don't start rolling out until 6-8 months. DLC is usually out after that time too, and if the game is short lived then what will be the point in buying the maps?

I don't know, I like Speedy's argument on the previous page. It demonstrates a lack of foresight on 343's part, as it surely would have been better for the franchise if people left Reach for another Halo title instead of a different franchise altogether.

I still haven't bought CE:A and I fully intended to when it was announced. No mp killed it for me. I still have my Xbox and PC copies of Halo: CE. I wasn't going to spend $40 for prettier graphics, no multiplayer, and expansion maps that weren't viable for competitive play.

I guess Halo isn't a 2-3 year game anymore. It's probably time for me to find a different franchise. There's no point in investing time in custom content if the game doesn't even last long enough to see them appreciated.

Now if you want to put Halo on a yearly release, then go for it. But if a game doesn't last me at least 2 years, it makes no sense for me to buy it.

I don't know, I like Speedy's argument on the previous page. It demonstrates a lack of foresight on 343's part, as it surely would have been better for the franchise if people left Reach for another Halo title instead of a different franchise altogether.

I still haven't bought CE:A and I fully intended to when it was announced. No mp killed it for me. I still have my Xbox and PC copies of Halo: CE. I wasn't going to spend $40 for prettier graphics, no multiplayer, and expansion maps that weren't viable for competitive play.

For jooses

Playlist management is something that has plagued Halo for years. Me, duncan and Claude were talking about this at PAX how we think they need to be more transparent in how the whole process works because to us playlist management seems braindead easy and some of the fixes that need to be made to the gametypes and maps could be done in 10 minutes in customs and forge, and yet it takes them months. Something else must be going on that makes it take that long and Halo fans are getting frustrated because no one will tell us why so we're left being angry at playlist management for being so seemingly incompetent.

Bravo has a GAF account, though he hasn't posted in forever and I don't know if he reads GAF anymore but I would love an explanation from him considering he's the playlist guy now. It doesn't, and shouldn't be a GAF exclusive either. Post that shit in the bulletin. "An inside look into Playlist management"

I no longer offer free advice. Refer to my Things the next Halo needs post...its still valid for Halo 5 it seems, couldnt get any of it in Reach or H4, maybe next time.

I think regarding playlist management, Hire Juices. Thats about it.

Come on, of all the things they've done, surely this is one that's made sense? People leaving Reach - why not give it an expansion? I doubt they wanted to manage 3 multiplayer player games at that time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have wanted it, but it was unlikely. Now if you want to put Halo on a yearly release, then go for it. If a game doesn't last me at least 2 years, it makes no sense to buy it.
People leaving Reach because it was up to that point the worst game Halo has seen. So let's take CEA, the only game without proper online support, and do the one thing the fans have wanted since Xbox Live came out. Give it a graphical overhaul!
And remove multiplayer entirely.

Nah I'm bitter. An expansion to Reach meant nothing to me, I didn't even play those maps because I was so over Reach at that point. Instead I got this game that I played for a weekend because that was all it was good for, whereas I'd still be playing it now if they had even put the most barebones of multiplayer in there. There wasn't much to manage in CE, and it's not like they were even touching 3, so nothing's really going to make me happy on that front. Maybe even give it a
server browser
, because honestly anything would've been better than what we got. Especially when it had people going on message boards trying to say "See? Look at how shitty CE played!" when they were literally using the Reach multiplayer with the modified pistol as the basis to their argument.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I couldn't care less about 343's reasoning for ditching CE multiplayer. For me personally, it would have meant less people forging and playing custom content in Reach, and that would bother me. I guess they're similar reasons, but I'm only interested in prolonging what keeps me playing. Releasing a new game at that time would have affected that.

Now if they put forge in CEA, then I wouldn't be posting this. But it'd still bother me that Reach - a game that I invested money and time into - couldn't even eclipse past games' playtime. Spending that kind of money on something that doesn't even last a year? Give me a break, gaming shouldn't be so damn throwaway expensive.

Yearly Halo is a turn off for me.

For jooses

It sounds like there are too many people and protocol in the way. It's ridiculous. Honestly the way plenty of games seem to handle multiplayer could use quite the overhaul and yet game after game same issues.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I couldn't care less about 343's reasoning for ditching CE multiplayer. For me personally, it would have meant less people forging and playing custom content in Reach, and that would bother me. I guess they're similar reasons, but I'm only interested in prolonging what keeps me playing. Releasing a new game at that time would have affected that.

Now if they put forge in CEA, then I wouldn't be posting this. But it'd still bother me that Reach - a game that I invested money and time into - couldn't even eclipse past games' playtime. Spending that kind of money on something that doesn't even last a week? Give me a break, gaming shouldn't be so damn throwaway expensive.

Yearly Halo is a turn off for me.

Well, you asked if we thought it made sense which is why my response was about why I thought it kind of didn't. Was it a rhetorical question, then? My b.

Ehh... I'm down to boost if I buy the map-pack.

So... what's the general consensus with Castle? Skip or buy? Crimson or Majestic?

Majestic was pretty good and I bought that one, Castle looks meh, I don't know though, haven't seen gameplay or anything.

Support DICE though. They make some dumb weapon balances and shit sometimes, but goddamn are they active in updating their game in big ways. Very transparent to their community also.

And they actually changed the UI and added weapons to the sanbox.

Ehh... I'm down to boost if I buy the map-pack.

So... what's the general consensus with Castle? Skip or buy? Crimson or Majestic?

Majestic was pretty good and I bought that one, Castle looks meh, I don't know though, haven't seen gameplay or anything.

Buy it if you like BTB. The maps are no pretty good in other modes.

^

Maybe I'm just opposed to a yearly Halo. If a game doesn't last me at least 2 years, it makes no sense for me to buy it. I would have felt pretty disappointed if something came along and halved Reach's already diminishing population early.

Read the edit. A game with a 1 year lifespan sucks for Custom Games Forgers. Most good maps and gametypes don't start rolling out until 6-8 months. DLC is usually out after that time too, and if the game is short lived then what will be the point in buying the maps?

I guess Halo isn't a 2-3 year game anymore. It's probably time for me to find a different franchise. There's no point in investing time in custom content if the game doesn't even last long enough to see them appreciated.

You must not buy a lot of games then lol, but the real issue is console games not having a similar model of updates to PC game. With a heavily demanded multiplayer game like Halo, annual releases would've been for the best.. especially if the next installment comes with less features and more problems than its predecessor. Halo's in a tough place right now and that decision to deny fans of online multiplayer for HCEA was a horrible one.

-EDIT-

People leaving Reach because it was up to that point the worst game Halo has seen. So let's take CEA, the only game without proper online support, and do the one thing the fans have wanted since Xbox Live came out. Give it a graphical overhaul!
And remove multiplayer entirely.

Nah I'm bitter. An expansion to Reach meant nothing to me, I didn't even play those maps because I was so over Reach at that point. Instead I got this game that I played for a weekend because that was all it was good for, whereas I'd still be playing it now if they had even put the most barebones of multiplayer in there. There wasn't much to manage in CE, and it's not like they were even touching 3, so nothing's really going to make me happy on that front. Maybe even give it a
server browser
, because honestly anything would've been better than what we got. Especially when it had people going on message boards trying to say "See? Look at how shitty CE played!" when they were literally using the Reach multiplayer with the modified pistol as the basis to their argument.

You mean like Ozzy? Ozzy, if you're reading this I just want you to know, once again, that those Anniversary playlists were NOTHING like Halo 1 <3

Nice post btw, especially the bolded.

People who begged for H1 to be remade really wanted multiplayer to be online, not for the campaign. This goes in line with "who the heck were they talking to when they said fans wanted this..?"

Madness

It's simple, call of duty fans like call of duty and want to play call of duty. Halo fans have not liked Halo:Reach or Halo 4 and don't want to play Halo.

Has nothing to do with salt, disrespect, etc. I'm seeing it all over and in a number of communities, the most passionate fans have developed an intense hate for the series.

I still played Halo:Reach somewhat regularly and upto the launch of Halo 4 and I've still been playing since launch, but I can see it.

Obscured

I didn't know that the Road Trip would come up if an enemy is in the warthog with you. First one I've heard and that made it more amusing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think I'm going to do a stream for Throwdown and keep track of what level I'm at tonight. I might do it in Xsplit so I can add overlays that show my current rank and my record in the playlist (Wins/Loss)

Yay? Nay?

You must not buy a lot of games then lol

Nope. Halo is the only AAA I regularly play on my Xbox. I literally do not like any other game enough to own it.

but the real issue is console games not having a similar model of updates to PC game. With a heavily demanded multiplayer game like Halo, annual releases would've been for the best.. especially if the next installment comes with less features and more problems than its predecessor. Halo's in a tough place right now and that decision to deny fans of online multiplayer for HCEA was a horrible one.

People who begged for H1 to be remade really wanted multiplayer to be online, not for the campaign. This goes in line with "who the heck were they talking to when they said fans wanted this..?"

Halo has Forge and a custom community - all of which prolong the longevity of the game. If they release a Halo in September, announce another one in March, show it off in June and then release it in the following September again, what was the point of playing? What was the point of making custom games? What was the point of forging? What was the point of ranking up? If there's another MP Halo slated for this fall announced tomorrow, I'll probably trade in H4 this week.

CE with MP would have been great - I still play it on my PC and I've always loved how the maps felt - but not if were just a year after Reach. I want a quality game like Halo 3 built to last several years, not a cheap one built to last only until the next one.

So I'm really not disagreeing with anyone here. Let a game run its course before cutting it short.

Ramirez

I think I'm going to do a stream for Throwdown and keep track of what level I'm at tonight. I might do it in Xsplit so I can add overlays that show my current rank and my record in the playlist (Wins/Loss)

Yay? Nay?

Can I play with you and crash your rank into the ground like a smoldering airplane?

Yay? Nay?
do it. I might tune in now and again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom