• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

Someone remind me why we need separate playlists for Rumble Pit and Regicide?

image034.jpg

Karl2177

Well they're not the same so I don't think you can combine then in one playlist. I however wouldn't mind seeing Regicide go away.

If they are both the same number of players and have no teams, then they can be combined. That being said, they might as well make Regicide a 8 player gametype and combine it with normal FFA. It can't go away because they have unlocks and commendations tied to it.

Maybe it's because my first official Halo game was Halo 3, but I still consider it to be the best Halo game to date. I know I had the most fun in it. Everything about it was great, and addicting, couldn't put it down. Halo 2 was also amazing, but aside from the much better maps, didn't have anything on Halo 3.

Still saddens me to see the state Halo is in now... :/

You mean the pictures of the numbers?

Are you a moron? Like, a legitimate drooling moron?

Context matters.

If that screenshot of the Halo 3 population occurred at the game's absolute PEAK, then it means something different than if it were captured on some random weekend.

It means something different if it were captured after the release of a new map pack.

It means something different depending on what competition, if any, it was facing re: COD on the Xbox Live charts.

The notion that you do not understand that context matters when taking a statistical analysis is a damning indictment of the school system you grew up with. I mean my god...

Wow, I hadn't realized that it fell below 200,000 active users per day by 12/31/2007. The fall off was much faster than I realized in my original post.

Bro, why are you responding to meaningless, contextless screenshots of populations?

It doesn't even compare that number, to the game at it's peak, vs Halo 2 at it's peak, vs COD4, or MW2, or MW3, or BO, or BO2 at it's peak.

IHaveIce

Banned
No quit penalty in the world would stop me from quitting out of Complex.

How this map made it past testign stage is beyond me.

Even better if you JIP, whole enemy team is located on the tp house with DMRs and Snipers.

Nice

First, Halo 3 was a hot piece of garbage.. Can we please stop talking about it as if it was the greatest game in the franchise?

As much as you guys are pointing out multiple factors that led to Halo's decline, there are just as many reasons why so many people played Halo 3.

----------

Halo is a franchise with some of the most dedicated communities that have been left disappointed and feeling ignored release after release....

...YET...

...we all keep coming back for more. When will this cycle end?

u4iX

Context matters.

If that screenshot of the Halo 3 population occurred at the game's absolute PEAK, then it means something different than if it were captured on some random weekend.

It means something different if it were captured after the release of a new map pack.

It means something different depending on what competition, if any, it was facing re: COD on the Xbox Live charts.

The notion that you do not understand that context matters when taking a statistical analysis is a damning indictment of the school system you grew up with. I mean my god...

NOHmOtE.gif

blamite

Well they're not the same so I don't think you can combine then in one playlist. I however wouldn't mind seeing Regicide go away.

I mean back in Halo 2/3/Reach we'd have Slayer/KOTH/Oddball/Headhunter/Infection all in one playlist so I'm not sure why they need to be separated now (plus there aren't even any FFA objective gametypes anywhere)? All the Team Objective gametypes have been condensed at this point (except for CTF, but that's because it's the only one popular enough to sustain it's own playlist) so I don't get why there are still redundant FFA playlists. I'd just stick Regicide in the third voting slot with a low-ish weighting and call it a day.

But it can be fixed by
5tiC1OK.jpg
!

Why do you think, that so many people played Halo 3? Please explain, what you are even trying to say, because I just don't get it.

So many people played Halo 3 because at the time it was released, it was a) the biggest brand in console gaming, b) the established brand in the console shooter space, and c) it was a good game (obviously).

However, Halo 3did not have 'so many people' playing it relative to the competition within a SINGLE year of it's release. It took the appearance of ONE strong competitor with new ideas in the marketplace to quickly and significantly overtake Halo 3. People left the game en masse, and the fact that the much-loved 'classic halo' formula was still in place did nothing to dull the enthusiasm for the new game.

My argument is simple: The notion that a newer, prettier, slightly tweaked version of Halo 3 would have performed better than Halo: Reach and Halo 4 is delusion. Simple delusion. It's very easy to say 'The game I liked better would have done better than the game I didn't like', it's much harder to accept the reality that 'the franchise I love isn't that popular anymore, and no matter what they do, it's never reaching that level again'

Karl2177

If you want the numbers for June, July, and August 2009:

I knew I had some files on my Mac hard drive, but I wasn't sure if those files got backed up when it crashed. As I was going through one of my drives tonight, I noticed a folder called "MM stats". I knew exactly what was in them, and it might make this graph seem laughable.
zv7ujAw.png

At 4:45 PM on June 15th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 165 684 players.

At 11:30 PM on June 19th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 201 268 players.

On August 1st, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Social Slayer saw a higher population than Halo 4 saw at any given point yesterday.

Now someone, get me a site that will upload these files. Min.us wasn't letting me do it. Thanks CyReN.

August 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/oIR1VWEl/August_MM_Stats.html
July 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/DGkzFOxh/July_MM_Stats.html
June 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/9nXWkMnI/June_MM_Stats.html

The 2 shared links are to Excel files containing the populations.

Bro, why are you responding to meaningless, contextless screenshots of populations?

It doesn't even compare that number, to the game at it's peak, vs Halo 2 at it's peak, vs COD4, or MW2, or MW3, or BO, or BO2 at it's peak.

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

A date, by nature of representing a specific parcel of time, allows you to inform context, since we all have basic knowledge of what was happening at that time (ie, Halo 3 and COD4 had both just launched, one of which with a massive ad campaign and the benefit of being the established brand, the other a hopeful challenge without anywhere near the same market presence).

I mean honestly, do you guys all meet up at the same special needs program?

heckfu

Banned
If you want the numbers for June, July, and August 2009:

The 2 shared links are to Excel files containing the populations.

Please don't post numbers, they don't mean anything here.

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

A date, by nature of representing a specific parcel of time, allows you to inform context.

I mean honestly, do you guys all meet up at the special needs program?

inb4 me

So many people played Halo 3 because at the time it was released, it was a) the biggest brand in console gaming, b) the established brand in the console shooter space, and c) it was a good game (obviously).

However, Halo 3did not have 'so many people' playing it relative to the competition within a SINGLE year of it's release. It took the appearance of ONE strong competitor with new ideas in the marketplace to quickly and significantly overtake Halo 3. People left the game en masse, and the fact that the much-loved 'classic halo' formula was still in place did nothing to dull the enthusiasm for the new game.

My argument is simple: The notion that a newer, prettier, slightly tweaked version of Halo 3 would have performed better than Halo: Reach and Halo 4 is delusion. Simple delusion. It's very easy to say 'The game I liked better would have done better than the game I didn't like', it's much harder to accept the reality that 'the franchise I love isn't that popular anymore, and no matter what they do, it's never reaching that level again'

You do know Halo 3 was the most played game on Xbox Live in 2007, 2008, and 2009, right? Major Nelson has all the stats in his archives. Go check them out.

So a tweaked Halo 3 wouldn't have done better than Halo:Reach or Halo 4, games that a ton of members of the fanbase didn't even buy from the get-go because they disliked the change, and quickly abandoned?

I think a tweaked Halo 3 being launched in 2010 would have at least put up a bigger hold of the FPS market on Xbox than Reach did.

u4iX

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

A date, by nature of representing a specific parcel of time, allows you to inform context, since we all have basic knowledge of what was happening at that time (ie, Halo 3 and COD4 had both just launched, one of which with a massive ad campaign and the benefit of being the established brand, the other a hopeful challenge without anywhere near the same market presence).

I mean honestly, do you guys all meet up at the special needs program?

Actually, a date by nature is a palm in the genus Phoenix, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Although its place of origin is unknown because of long cultivation, it probably originated from lands around Iraq. It grows 70–75 feet in height, growing singly or forming a clump with several stems from a single root system. The leaves are 4–6 m long, with spines on the petiole, and pinnate, with about 150 leaflets; the leaflets are 30 cm long and 2 cm wide. The full span of the crown ranges from 6 to 10 m. Dates contain 20–70 calories each, depending on size and species.

First, Halo 3 was a hot piece of garbage.. Can we please stop talking about it as if it was the greatest game in the franchise?

As much as you guys are pointing out multiple factors that led to Halo's decline, there are just as many reasons why so many people played Halo 3.

----------

Halo is a franchise with some of the most dedicated communities that have been left disappointed and feeling ignored release after release....

...YET...

...we all keep coming back for more. When will this cycle end?

Man, does anyone really think this? From a mechanics and "fun factor" (admittedly relative) standpoint, I can't possibly imagine ever feeling that way. Someone was saying in another thread that Halo hasn't been a good enough reason to buy an Xbox since 4. I would argue that goes all the way back to Halo 3, even though I enjoyed the game.

Am I alone in suspecting the 360 featured backwards compatibility mainly so people could keep playing Halo 2 until 3 released?

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

Well that escalated quickly.

Madness

The numbers of COD on Xbox 360 alone were enough to beat Halo 3. I don't understand what being multiplatform has to do with it in the case of Xbox Live playlist population numbers?

I agree that most Halo fans did not like Halo: Reach and Halo 4.

My point is that if Bungie made a game like Halo 3 AGAIN, and Halo fans luuuuuuuurved it, it would have still got shit-kicked on the Xbox 360 alone, because a lot of Halo fans were just fans of the latest, greatest shooter fad. They moved on to new, more popular ideas in the COD games.

So Bungie and 343i could choose to insulate and keep an audience of, let's say, 200,000 die-hard Halo fans happy on the same formula, or they could try and experiment with new ideas in hopes of winning people back. I'm sure they knew the risk that they could piss off some of those 200,000 people. And 200,000 users would still be impotent in the face of COD.

I enjoyed Bungie's attempt more than 343i's attempt to bring people back with new ideas, but that's just my take. I think Halo 4 is pretty terrible multiplayer-wise, much worse than Reach was.

How would it have gotten shit kicked on the xbox 360 if over 7+ million people have bought Halo 4, over 11.8 million played the game and yet less than 35k is the peak daily limit of users, putting it behind games like minecraft, fifa and two call of duty games?

You honestly don't see how multiplatform affects exclusive games? Simple, more people playing the same game, increasing word of mouth and familiarity. Even friends with different systems can talk about and play the same game.

How would it have gotten shit kicked on the xbox 360 if over 7+ million people have bought Halo 4, over 11.8 million played the game and yet less than 35k is the peak daily limit of users, putting it behind games like minecraft, fifa and two call of duty games?

You honestly don't see how multiplatform affects exclusive games? Simple, more people playing the same game, increasing word of mouth and familiarity. Even friends with different systems can talk about and play the same game.

He's gone dude.

I remember freshman year in high school when Halo 3 came out. Midnight release, played until school started the next day. There wasn't a friend of mine who wasn't talking about that game. Everyone was playing it, everyone was loving it. Then ODST came out, my friends kinda were confused. Some returned when they learned it was just Halo 3 MP. Then Reach came out, I was in college, I had no friends.

Damn. Now I feel old. Graduated (salutatorian motherfuckers) class of '05...

Context matters.

4XXKool.gif

EDIT: andhesgonesouthparkmeme.jpg

Man, does anyone really think this? From a mechanics and "fun factor" (admittedly relative) standpoint, I can't possibly imagine ever feeling that way. Someone was saying in another thread that Halo hasn't been a good enough reason to buy an Xbox since 4. I would argue that goes all the way back to Halo 3, even though I enjoyed the game.

Am I alone in suspecting the 360 featured backwards compatibility mainly so people could keep playing Halo 2 until 3 released?

It probably is because Halo 3 was my first Halo game, but Halo 2 just didn't feel very nice after playing Halo 3, I just couldn't get into Halo 2 while me and all my friends were rolling in Matchmaking and playing fun Customs. Halo 3 was just much superior in customization and gameplay (in my opinion, aside from how awkward aiming vertically felt sometimes). Forge <3

Madness

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

A date, by nature of representing a specific parcel of time, allows you to inform context, since we all have basic knowledge of what was happening at that time (ie, Halo 3 and COD4 had both just launched, one of which with a massive ad campaign and the benefit of being the established brand, the other a hopeful challenge without anywhere near the same market presence ).

Now I know you have no fucking clue what the hell you're talking about. Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare was one of the most anticipated games of the generation, even getting mention on CNN because of its realistic portrayal and modern setting. The Charlie Oscar Delta trailer was one of the most viewed videos on YouTube and this game had some of the highest pre-orders in the industry.

The game dominated most games sites with its discussion of new features like martyrdom and how it encouraged suicide bombing etc.

Call of Duty established itself when Call of Duty 2 became one of the best selling titles in launch history, and created a generation of eager fans and buyers. Were you even around when Call of Duty 4 was mentioned?

He's gone dude.

EDIT: damn I didn't even see he was banned. I was replying on from mobile and I had to stop playing Halo 4 to respond.

It probably is because Halo 3 was my first Halo game, but Halo 2 just didn't feel very nice after playing Halo 3, I just couldn't get into Halo 2 while me and all my friends were rolling in Matchmaking and playing fun Customs. Halo 3 was just much superior in customization and gameplay (in my opinion, aside from how awkward aiming vertically felt sometimes). Forge <3

Word. Forge was a killer addition, especially for eSports functionality.

Have you ever gotten to play Combat Evolved? How does that compare for you?

Tawpgun

QFT.

Source material: ESL Classics: Rapha vs. Cooller

I lumped them in with their earlier titles, but yeah. <3

Competitive Quake is some next level shit.

I wonder if anyone can come up with a sort of formula to account for "Gamer Inflation" meaning to account for the install base being bigger as a console generation goes on. A sequel will almost always outsell its predecessor because of this so using sales as a metric for game quality in a franchise is silly as all hell. Population in game at specific time intervals is a much better representation of game quality. I know for me Halo 2 and Halo 3 were my constants. I'd sometimes have a fling with another game when it came out but I'd always go back to Halo 2 and 3. With Reach and now 4, those "flings" are more like full fledged migrations. I don't think I played any Reach for like 3 months before Halo 4 came out.

Unfortunately, they don't have an accurate or standard way of counting the players playing the game because it differs for every game. I know as time goes on you can get an accurate number, but it'd be interesting to see how Halo 5 and 6 fare if you use Halo 4's method of counting player population.

Hell, I'd even wager Halo 5 might be the first time a halo game can undersell its predecessor on opening week because the install base on the nextbox might not be as big. But this also depends on when the nextbox is coming out and when Halo 5 is coming out

NOKYARD

Not sure what's happening.

We were playing customs and the safe/kill volumes are messed up on forge maps. We loaded a map/game i played last night, and some mm maps from temp history, and everyone dies at spawn.

Then i played in a local game and it was fine.
False alarm.

One of Overkill's friends must have had issues due to playing modded variants. Whenever we played with him on forge maps the safe volume set itself to 0,0,0 and everyone in the game died, even if we were party leader and loaded our own maps.

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

oh wow......I know you want yo defend your point but......you are gone.

Akai__

Halo 3 remained the most played game on XBL, until 2009. I remember 600.000 people playing daily and over a million on weekends, like the picture Cyren posted says.

In 2009, it wasn't maybe close to 600.000, but it still was the most played game. Now the question is, why did those guys play Halo 3 for so long? Obviously, because it was fun to them and they didn't get bored, by any means. Those 600.000 people have left Halo, because a new product released and it was something new and something refreshening. CoD was a easy game for most people. It was quite easy to play and quite easy to get kills and therefore the satisfaction. Halo 3 still remained one of the most played games, after MW2 launched and true Halo fans, didn't left for CoD.

I'm pretty sure, if Halo would have gone a path like Halo 2/3, it could pull decent numbers. Not only the number of people who bought Halo would have been high, but the population would be, too. But like many times I've said before, we can't know that for sure.

All "we" want, is a Halo game, which is fun again and not a complete random game, which isn't fully predictable.

Edit: He got banned :lol

Actually played Combat Evolved was a few friends over split-screen last night after Wrestlemania.

Combat Evolved is fun as hell, feels smooth and while it shows it age because of the graphics, the gameplay is just fun as hell. I love Combat Evolved, I still have fun playing it with my entire class on PC.

Gui_PT

Are you a stupid person?

I ask this honestly.

ENy6fW9.gif

You're not alone. Halo 3 had some of the most frustrating and inconsistent gameplay of any Halo game yet it had legs. Long, sexy legs.

As much as I say H3's gameplay was crap, Bungie did a lot of things in other areas to make up for it such as Forge and the explosion of community content. Halo hasn't had this kind of advancement since 2007..

What disappoints me to no end is that Halo 1, a game truly deserving of XBL Multiplayer, gets remade without XBL Multiplayer.

Homeboyd

How is that guy not perm'd yet? He's banned within 13 posts every time he comes back.

Trying to play some Team Fronk on Perdition but it just won't let me. Need my 42.

Tawpgun

Hell I don't even understand what he was getting so mad about.

Basically he was very passionate about telling people a more refined Halo 3, with its issues fixed, would have still been dominated by CoD. And that Reach being a bad Halo game had nothing to do with it.

What disappoints me to no end is that Halo 1, a game truly deserving of XBL Multiplayer, gets remade without XBL Multiplayer.

But then the fans would abandon Reach :roll:

I didn't understand 343. Fans were abandoning Reach anyways. Might as well have fans leave Halo for Halo than leave Halo for CoD and never come back :/

Watch them do the same exact thing with Halo 2 Anniversary, :(

Honestly, if CE:A came with a true mp component, I wouldn't have bought another multiplayer 360 game since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom