• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

343 needs to do a lot of things!

I'm still waiting to see how the community is - as Frankie O'Connor said - a "direct and democratic extension of the development team". Maybe we all aren't registered to vote.

halo-4-launch.jpg

Pop

Already 50's...
grifball, fiesta etc haha
what a joke of a system but we already knew that. Probably part of the reason to reset everyone's ranks when they see the need too.

I just don't see how 343i doesn't get it.

Tawpgun

halo reach is way better than halo 4

Yeah but no one plays it. Fuck that noise alone.

We'll have an oddball swordbase night soon. I wonder what the search times/population is like.

Bloom is going to suck though. It's the biggest thing preventing me from going back.

kylej

Banned

We'll have an oddball swordbase night soon. I wonder what the search times/population is like.

Bloom is going to suck though. It's the biggest thing preventing me from going back.

halo is dead nobody plays halo anymore 343 killed it. stop playing halo 4 and go play eve online or minecraft or something where the devs actually care about their playerbase

Tunavi

Banned
Here's my conundrum.

I don't much like CoD enough to buy it. I want to play a multiplayer shooter. I don't have a good PC.

Fuck Reach.

Halo 3 lag and netcode get to me too much now.

What little of my friends still play Halo, they play Halo 4.

I want the Halo style of combat. Fuck the ADS bullshit. I get that with a BF3 fix once in a while, but I love me my Halo gameplay. Throwdown and Team dubz delivers. So I play those.
Murder Miners, CEA playlist

Played Reach all night two nights ago. Search times were just as quick as Halo 4 if not quicker. I feel like I stared at the H4 baseball cards longer than the Reach boxes.

It was also less infuriating and I encountered much less bullshit even though we were unable to really get a full team for long.

Although we played a FFA game on Uncaged and I lost by one point to a dude who had 8 melee kills, he ended the game with 2 headshots...yea fuck that lucky spawner.

I'm actually going to hop on tonight too as long as its not GF night.

Tunavi

Banned
This, I could at least play Reach for 1000 hours before I just gave up.

Halo 4 couldn't even get 100 hours out of me.

Reach was a good, high quality game, although I was against the changes. I can't say the same for Halo 4.
I only played Reach because the HaloGAF community was so strong.

H4 killed off the community within about a week.

Did anyone noticed how the 3 maps are actually the same in design?

The three maps have the corridors on the sides with some hiding spots and the center is where you can go walking safe with some underground paths. No open areas in the center except for daybreak but only in objetives.

What? The maps are too big?

Yep, funny no one wants to use the warthog.

I believe you can download Zero Bloom game modes. But zero bloom is just as broken, if not moreso. I kind of like the TU settings even if they came way too late, but movement speed needed an increase.

HTupolev

I believe you can download Zero Bloom game modes. But zero bloom is just as broken, if not moreso.
The problems with zero bloom demonstrate why Bungie implemented bloom, and why the Halo 4 DMR is problematic when combined with things like Reachlike slow player movement.

As methods of making weapons harder to use at range go, bloom kind of sucks, but Halo 4's knee-jerk "let's (effectively) remove bloom but not make the other necessary changes to compensate" is worse; 343i improved the feel of shooting at the cost of causing tons of damage to map movement. Ragnarok? Ugh...

Ghazi

At least we can all agree that, even with bloom and AAs, Reach BTB was a million times more fun than 4's. Competitive wise Throwdown is a much better playlist than Reach's Arena.

Tawpgun

I would almost say ZB Reach might be the better game. I enjoy the shooting mechanics of 4, but like I said the other day, the Halo meta game of power weapons/spawns is completely absent in 4.

Shame ZB reach is limited to MLG. Shit is way too tryhard for me. Fun sometimes, but I want a playlist I can play a bit more casually while still being competitively viable and fair.

At least we can all agree that, even with bloom and AAs, Reach BTB was a million times more fun than 4's. Competitive wise Throwdown is a much better playlist than Reach's Arena.

Confession: I loved the hell out of Heavies Cragmire. Might not be purist Halo, but I don't really want purist Halo when jumping into BTB. I just love the crazy shit that happens and Heavies is the best outlet for that.

Now I wanna play Reach.

But yeah, Halo 4's base competitive settings are better than Arena. Arena had a lot more potential, though. Could have been done so much better. I think a combined permanent number rank and constantly shifting monthly tiers would have worked for Arena.

Tawpgun

Halo 2 arena maps + Halo 3 BTB + ODST Firefight = Halo 5

I just saved Halo.

I can dig it

Confession: I loved the hell out of Heavies Cragmire. Might not be purist Halo, but I don't really want purist Halo when jumping into BTB. I just love the crazy shit that happens and Heavies is the best outlet for that.

Now I wanna play Reach.

But yeah, Halo 4's base competitive settings are better than Arena. Arena had a lot more potential, though. Could have been done so much better. I think a combined permanent number rank and constantly shifting monthly tiers would have worked for Arena.

Aaaand ignore.

HTupolev

Now I wanna play Reach.
I hate heavies in general, and I blame it for doing a very good job of making me like Reach BTB less and less after 343i took over.

However, Cragmire does irk me less than the other heavies maps. It has something resembling an interesting map flow, and going completely overboard on power weapons and vehicles winds up feeling vaguely more fair and reasonable than half-heartedly going overboard on power weapons and vehicles.
Still helped ruin Reach BTB, though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I would almost say ZB Reach might be the better game. I enjoy the shooting mechanics of 4, but like I said the other day, the Halo meta game of power weapons/spawns is completely absent in 4.

I'd go so far as to say that TU Reach is better than Halo 4 in its current iteration.
Anyone keeping up with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? It looks absolutely amazing.

Yep. Can't wait!

Aaaand ignore.
Come on. Where Reach was by the time Cragmire entered the scene, it was either leave the boring to bad BTB offerings from the base game or go full-retard. I'm kinda glad they went full-retard because at least I could have laugh at the protracted death of BTB instead of rage at it. Allow me to clarify. I didn't go into Halo: Reach BTB for a purist experience. Halo 3 though, that was the shit when it came to BTB.

Pretty much the peak of Big Team, even with its shitty netcoding.

HTupolev

Halo 3 though, that was the shit when it came to BTB.

Pretty much the peak of Big Team, even with its shitty netcoding.
Seems like Halo 3's netcode really falls apart somewhere between 4v4 and 8v8. Team slayer in Halo 3 feels great most of the time, but big team is always pretty far in the sloppy region.

But yeah, it's awesome. Except for heavies. Heavies was bad for big team in Halo 3 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom