• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be correct there, it's been a while since I played.

I was pretty sure Blops 2 was just PC for dedis?

My point still stands, it was a roundabout way of saying "we really have no idea why MS can't afford dedis."

EA/DICE afford it for BF3 by charging an arm and a leg for rent-a-servers. And people gladly pay for them.

343 should really, really consider adopting this strategy for future Halo titles. Just keep the traditional MM experience in place for competitive/ranked play, and add another section with a custom server browser. Let us rent servers, (we'll happily pay $$$ to do so) and set up our own custom game types/map rotations/settings.

Everybody wins.

TheOddOne

ivYicyMCqrX23.gif

Ghazi

EA/DICE afford it for BF3 by charging an arm and a leg for rent-a-servers. And people gladly pay for them.

343 should really, really consider adopting this strategy for future Halo titles. Just keep the traditional MM experience in place for competitive/ranked play, and add another section with a custom server browser. Let us rent servers, (we'll happily pay $$$ to do so) and set up our own custom game types/map rotations/settings.

Everybody wins.
This.

Gui_PT

I think you have a sick crush on me.
I'm not saying you should treat yourself but you should definitely treat yourself before I call the cyber police.

TheOddOne

I think you have a sick crush on me.
I'm not saying you should treat yourself but you should definitely treat yourself before I call the cyber police.
BUT I love you.

I'm only joking around though, if it is that annoying I will stop. My bad, I thought it was just friendly banter :(

Everybody wins.

BF3 and previous BF entries had dedicated servers prior to being able to rent your own.

So, Adam Orth got himself canned over nothing?

The problem with saying opinionated stuff like that is that when you work for a company like MS, everyone assumes that the opinion is automatically the direction of the company as well.

Hell, neogaf is supposed to be filled with smart people, and even we had like 2 threads practically confirming that the nextbox was always always just because joe shmo that works at MS said "deal with it".

Everyone should be allowed to their opinion, even MS employees.

TheOddOne

The problem with saying opinionated stuff like that is that when you work for a company like MS, everyone assumes that the opinion is automatically the direction of the company as well.

Hell, neogaf is supposed to be filled with smart people, and even we had like 2 threads practically confirming that the nextbox was always always just because joe shmo that works at MS said "deal with it".

Everyone should be allowed to their opinion, even MS employees.
He should have just put on his profile "My opinions do not reflect that of my employer", like every person in the industry puts on their twitter profile.

Gonna try and get a 50 in Rumble Pit since that's what all the cool kids are doing.

Then Infinity Slayer, then Big Team, and or Castle if I can get any friends/people to play Halo 4 (wink wink)

Fracas

#fuckonami
No, go to sleep.
I'm in 'Merka. 5:35 PM at the moment here
Fracas, there's a group of us that will be on (hopefully). It'll be a few hours.

Ex, add me too. I don't seem to have you on my list.

About 2 hrs ill be on. Need to eat and get some stuff done.

Deadly is getting a group going in about an hour from now I think. I'll pop on then too.
Sounds good; I should be able to play.

That's how you do it Wahrer. Ain't nobody got time for dem wallz.. Don't listen to Tunavi and here, have a beer.

83217919.gif

Add Promethean Vision as a Powerup that lasts like 15 secs; it should've been an addition to Powerups instead of AA's in H4.

Why can't we just have some of this stuff on map :(

Yeah, would be better on the map with instant activation.

Why can't we just have some of this stuff on map :(

Huh? They are on map. It's basically a little Initial Ordnance pod. You walk up to it, pick it up, and then the Powerup prompt comes up and you choose which one you want and it activates (rather than drop down again).

Chances are there'd be a way for experienced players to nab the stuff instantly - walking past it and hitting the "pick up weapon" button and the corresponding button on the DPad, for example.

wwm0nkey

Huh? They are on map. It's basically a little Initial Ordnance pod. You walk up to it, pick it up, and then the Powerup prompt comes up and you choose which one you want and it activates (rather than drop down again).

Chances are there'd be a way for experienced players to nab the stuff instantly - walking past it and hitting the "pick up weapon" button and the corresponding button on the DPad, for example.

No I mean why not just have each of these abilities somewhere on the map? Its one thing that kind of makes armor abilities work, having them as on map pick ups.

Whipped up my first-ever infographic to convey a megapost instead of typing it!

Love the graphic. I did find it a bit odd to follow initially since it goes 4-3-2-1. One thing I would suggest is to lay out each tier vertically e.g.--

tier 1
tier 2
tier 3
tier 4

With maybe the info to the right of the tier with larger letters.

Disclaimer:
I am not a graphic designer

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Finally tried the Castle DLC for the first time last night. I really like all three of the maps. Daybreak is definitely my favorite although Outcast gives it a run for its money. Perdition is also great, it reminds me of Turf in many ways.

What I'm NOT a fan of is being forced into gametypes like SWAT and Snipers on these maps. Leave the DLC playlists for objective and infinity slayer only, please.

I hate how 343 handles DLC in Halo.

No 343, just because I bought your god awful map packs doesn't mean I only want to play on them. Stop showing me only DLC choices for Rumble Pit, thanks.

Might go and uninstall Majestic just so I can actually play some on disc maps.

Oh god just remembered the on disc maps for FFA are Adrift, Solace, Complex, and Abandon. Nevermind :(

Korosenai

No 343, just because I bought your god awful map packs doesn't mean I only want to play on them. Stop showing me only DLC choices for Rumble Pit, thanks.

I never get dlc maps in matchmaking. I wish i would start getting Majestic maps.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Aside from there being just waaay too much shit in your sandbox, the problem with your stuff Wahrer is exactly what Josh Holmes was saying about being able to figure the sandbox out intuitively. Other than just playing campaign, Halo's never had a comprehensive tutorial on even the basic gameplay. Which is why bad players will keep playing like shit forever unless they go online to figure out that precision weapons > automatics, you should use guns over melee, etc.

Like Tawpgun said, the Gravity Gauntlet is the most egregious example of that, no one would ever care to want to figure it out. Your concept art and these graphics are really well done but yeah, Holmes was right on that part.

Oh god just remembered the on disc maps for FFA are Adrift, Solace, Complex, and Abandon. Nevermind :(

In MW3, you could "turn off" the dlc so that only default maps would appear. It was a very useful feature and you know what that means, it was not considered for halo4! This is why a huge number of the Halo population have left the game. They keep playing catch up on every little thing it seems.

No I mean why not just have each of these abilities somewhere on the map? Its one thing that kind of makes armor abilities work, having them as on map pick ups.

It's definitely an option but Social is riding off of the high of such classics like Infinity Slayer. Individual Powerups like Overshield would still show up in ranked.

Holoflurry sounds like a pain in the ass.

It just shoots out one Hologram every two seconds in a random direction and they all dissipate on the 10th second. That means 4 holograms.

Love the graphic. I did find it a bit odd to follow initially since it goes 4-3-2-1. One thing I would suggest is to lay out each tier vertically e.g.--

tier 1
tier 2
tier 3
tier 4

With maybe the info to the right of the tier with larger letters.

Disclaimer:
I am not a graphic designer

I mostly did them in reverse order do the most familiar Powerups would be first, but agreed.

Aside from there being just waaay too much shit in your sandbox, the problem with your stuff Wahrer is exactly what Josh Holmes was saying about being able to figure the sandbox out intuitively. Other than just playing campaign, Halo's never had a comprehensive tutorial on even the basic gameplay. Which is why bad players will keep playing like shit forever unless they go online to figure out that precision weapons > automatics, you should use guns over melee, etc.

Like Tawpgun said, the Gravity Gauntlet is the most egregious example of that, no one would ever care to want to figure it out. Your concept art and these graphics are really well done but yeah, Holmes was right on that part.

I'll be honest: I have no idea what to do with the Gravity Gauntlet. Given that AAs are gone it's mean to be a more controlled Jetpack replacement.

I try to keep things intuitive and allow high potential for advanced techniques purely through skill curves while still maintaining an even playing field - the Phase Rifle is a huge example of this, given that a perfect kill is slightly faster than the CE Magnum while an "average" kill is probably closer to the Halo 4 BR.

It's worth noting that Ranked sticks exclusively to the main 20 weapons and forces Magnum/Frag starts. No AAs, no Sprint, no Armor Mods. Powerups use the Halo CE system. And buried within Ranked is a barebones Slayer variant that uses a whopping 9 weapons.

Oh my god, I'm playing against a big try-hard in Rumble Pit, he's actually changing his Spartan's color, the color! To blend in with the surrounding of the map so he's "harder" to spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom