• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

you know, before i didnt really care about 30fps and 60fps. but after pc gaming for the last few months and then going back to halo today. my god i got a headache.

Nowise10

No doubt this is old and known by some, but I was messing around on the Halo 3 Beta in the custom game options, and saw Bungie had at least thought about putting a spectator like mode in Halo 3 by allowing observers.

CLdT9mU.png

you know, before i didnt really care about 30fps and 60fps. but after pc gaming for the last few months and then going back to halo today. my god i got a headache.

Yup thats just the way gaming is headed. Back when textures werent as grand, when there wasnt as many pixels on screen, when every action didnt cause a hundred on screen effects, you could get away with a lower framerate. Your mind could more easily fill int the blanks.

Think of watching a video of a wall. Video could be no fps cause nothing is happening.

Now that you have these graphically intense games that are fast paced, you just need more frames, its that simple.

There is only the 30fps blissful ignorant, or the 60+fps educated.

Choose your side, peasants.

No doubt this is old and known by some, but I was messing around on the Halo 3 Beta in the custom game options, and saw Bungie had at least thought about putting a spectator like mode in Halo 3 by allowing observers.
Guess there just hasn't been enough bandwidth the past 6+ years.

FyreWulff

You can glitch Halo 3 retail into allowing people to switch to Spectator. It doesn't actually work though. (they'll show up as White Team)

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yeah, but they lack the numbers to fill that role. 343 would have to make a seriously huge jump ahead in time (already wasted the perfect setup for that) for Halo's humanity to reach the point where any group could afford sending thousands of its people for you to slaughter. Of course, humans would be terrible Halo enemies, so they'd have to control robots/monsters/robot monsters instead, and then it's one step away from being less about ONI and more about one crazy dude with too much power - the exact thing 343 set out to establish, because decentralized organizations don't make good enough Star Wars villains. So you'd basically get a mini Didact anyway, and another Mass Effect 2-3, and this shit can't be salvaged without a reboot (and a brand new franchise farm).

All great points.

Shadders

Something has gone wrong if ONI doesn't end up being the big bad of the Halo universe

Fuck the Didact, ONI is pure evil

I can see it going that way. I had previously said that I'd hate for the Chief to have to fight humans, but following the introduction of Majestic and Palmer.. I may have changed my mind.

Madness

I can see it going that way. I had previously said that I'd hate for the Chief to have to fight humans, but following the introduction of Majestic and Palmer.. I may have changed my mind.

And it's so dumb. Humans lost. They were defeated by the Covenant. On the verge of extinction. And Chief barely saved them all. And less than 4 years later, it's like who cares. We're magically ten times stronger and more capable than we ever were.

The story would have made sense if it was like 70 years after Halo 3 event.

I bet, with Chief going 'rogue', they'll make Palmer a central character who will overcome her hatred of eggheads and see the true evil in Oni and rescue Halsey. Then, she'll have been instrumental in the defense of the infinity (lol), instrumental in the recovery of Chief (lol), and instrumental in the defeat of ONI.

And less than 4 years later, it's like who cares. We're magically ten times stronger and more capable than we ever were.

4 years and planets upon planets of resources and the threat of war not looming over you. Military construction yards could still be on "Military mode" but everything they produce now just gets stockpiled without 1 in 3 being destroyed by the covenant for instance. 4 years is a pretty long time.

For reference earth in 2011 real world produce 60 million cars. In 2552+ with super construction tools it's not too far fetched to see how in 4 years of war free peace the UNSC which has multiple established colonies on other planets could build big things like the infinity.

Shadders

Palmer and Chief are clearly going to get it on, I expect this will be the central theme of the TV series.

Eventually Shia Labeouf will be introduced as their wise-cracking son and will become the main character of both the TV series and games.

4 years and planets upon planets of resources and the threat of war not looming over you. Military construction yards could still be on "Military mode" but everything they produce now just gets stockpiled without 1 in 3 being destroyed by the covenant for instance. 4 years is a pretty long time.

For reference earth in 2011 real world produce 60 million cars. In 2552+ with super construction tools it's not too far fetched to see how in 4 years of war free peace the UNSC which has multiple established colonies on other planets could build big things like the infinity.

Also, we have Huragok now.

monome

Palmer and Chief are clearly going to get it on, I expect this will be the central theme of the TV series.

Eventually Shia Labeouf will be introduced as their wise-cracking son and will become the main character of both the TV series and games.

Holy...

that said, what's the status of traviss 3rd Halo book? still coming?
I feel like the story of Kilo is totally unecessary now to expand the universe.

By the way, rogue Chief and Halsey aboard a Sphinx, looking for clues as to how revive Cortana and fight off "evil", with open worldish structure and I'm game.

Yup thats just the way gaming is headed. Back when textures werent as grand, when there wasnt as many pixels on screen, when every action didnt cause a hundred on screen effects, you could get away with a lower framerate. Your mind could more easily fill int the blanks.

Think of watching a video of a wall. Video could be no fps cause nothing is happening.

Now that you have these graphically intense games that are fast paced, you just need more frames, its that simple.

There is only the 30fps blissful ignorant, or the 60+fps educated.

Choose your side, peasants.

50 ppp master race

Fuchsdh

Holy...

that said, what's the status of traviss 3rd Halo book? still coming?
I feel like the story of Kilo is totally unecessary now to expand the universe.

By the way, rogue Chief and Halsey aboard a Sphinx, looking for clues as to how revive Cortana and fight off "evil", with open worldish structure and I'm game.

Coming January 2014. Still hoping they tighten up the cover art, but whatever.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/halo-mortal-dictata-excerpt

It will be interesting to spend more time on Venezia, there doesn't seem to be much to set up regarding the continuing series or Halo 5, and it sounds like the Arby's story is getting told in a new comic series.

Gui_PT

What bothers me is that this actually sounds possible.

Fuchsdh

http://www.hitfix.com/news/neill-blomkamp-says-hes-glad-the-halo-movie-didnt-happen-for-him

Can't say I disagree with Blomkamp. The Halo movie dying seemed to work out real well for him.

Hopefully they can get him back if they ever decide to revisit the movie

I'm glad because District 9 demonstrated I wanted him far away from a Halo film too, so the feeling's mutual.

His entire aesthetic and approach to filmmaking is in my opinion incompatible with that of Halo.

Tawpgun

I'm glad because District 9 demonstrated I wanted him far away from a Halo film too, so the feeling's mutual.

His entire aesthetic and approach to filmmaking is in my opinion incompatible with that of Halo.
You must have your bad opinion cannon set to full auto.

Those live action shorts for halo 3 were awesome.

willow ve

Agree to disagree. The proof of concept effects shots they did for Halo were awesome.

Coming January 2014. Still hoping they tighten up the cover art, but whatever.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/halo-mortal-dictata-excerpt

It will be interesting to spend more time on Venezia, there doesn't seem to be much to set up regarding the continuing series or Halo 5, and it sounds like the Arby's story is getting told in a new comic series.

Guess Arbiter won't be in Halo games anymore.. It's bullish that he wasn't in Halo 4.

I guy in a space suit doesn't need desert attire...
Theoretically:

1. Judging by the Hazardous Environments like a Sandstorm can damage in between his armor. Note that his Visor is cracked to the left facing the helmet.

2. It has been said by Frankie, Chief is purposely concealing himself beneath that cloak. Okay but why's that necessary? Others have came up with ideas that his armor platings are missing due to his size comparison wearing the upperbody piece and the cloak. Something Epic must've happened to him in severally damaging his armor if this is true. We also know that from the micro fractures on his visor.

3. He is a "SpaceJesusJediGrandMasterChief"
#DealWithIt

Top Bottom