• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

So, (again, Avengers spoilers)
They're will probably just be some he's alive again nanomachines don't worry about it. Sounds bad already.

They knew the TV series was going to happen, why did Whedon kill him off in the film?
What Barrow says. Spoilers:
Nick Fury faked Coulson's death that the Avengers rally against Loki. Or another theory is that the Coulson is a android with Coulson's personality. Hoping for the faking theory though

Omni

I agree in many respects that Reach looks better but that statement veers into the outrageous. Forge World in Reach is disgusting low res undifferentiated garbage. Forge in Halo 4 looks leagues better and the maps themselves are obviously better looking than Reach's FW. Which Halo 4 maps do you think look worse than Forge World?
Pretty much all of them. To understand where I'm coming from, you'll need to understand that I care about the 'details' a lot. Forge World has water that isn't just a .jpg, for example. And that makes me happy. Not to mention that it has lots and lots of foliage and is incredibly vast with big draw distances. No doubt that the Forge pieces in H4 look better than those in Reach (coupled with the lighting) but the base forge maps themselves look like they've come from Halo 2:Vista. The non-forge multiplayer maps in H4 are... Dull. It's like the engine is only capable of rendering rocks and/or random low-poly forerunner pillars. Foliage is so scarce and render distance is horrible. Skyboxes are nothing more than heavily compressed .jpgs (admittedly they're getting better in the DLCs) and the water is atrocious. Worse than CoD's even. General environment textures aren't anything to write home about either.

So, IMO, forge world is better looking than most Halo 4 maps. Questionable bland art direction aside (though it's not like its blue/grey overtone is any worse than Halo 4's piss filter).

Yeah I understand the narrative reason in the film for his death, but don't kill a character that you know you will be using in the future. You're forcing yourself into a corner where you have to make up some cheap bullshit why your character is alive again.
I agree with you, but it's a superhero movie so we're not really supposed to think about it, right Heckfu?

Omni

I feel like the choice for the two Didacts thing over complicates things as is. Its going to be hard to explain that all in a game.

I just hope there is a "surprise, army of actually living Forerunners!" for us to fight and interact with. And on top of that, I would prefer not all wind up as enemies. But who knows anymore.
Does anyone actually think Halo 5 (or whatever they're calling it) will be anything more than just hunting down Halsey and the Storm faction? Sure 343i could pull some living Forerunners/Precursors out of their ass, but it seems a bit counteractive given what happened in Silentium.

Flipyap

You better be playing that turnip game, boy!

I made a 400k loss this week.
Pffft. Turnips. The real easy money is in art smuggling.

tumblr_mrmmjajdBY1sbg055o1_400.jpg

Fig. A - successful delivery to HiredN00bs' extravagant bell vault.

Fuchsdh

I remember reading that and was like wtf, I don't know if Greg Bear considered the future of where the game/even more books could advance plotwise when he wrote that stuff. Or he did and just wanted it that way....

Honestly Microsoft could have announced that day "yeah so we're going to stop doing Halo now" and I would have been happy. The book did such an amazing job at paying everything off and making you feel like you'd come full circle.

Halo 3 sandbox maps for Halo CE for those that want them. Opensauce is REQUIRED!

-Halo 3 weapons
-Halo 3 bipeds
-Halo 1 maps (no texture changes)
-Halo 1 mechanics (ex: Fall stun)
-Halo 2 vehicle appearance

So I'm thinking I'm going to boot camp a copy of Windows now that I have a decent Mac that could double as a gaming rig for some old PC games I haven't played in a while... does all the Custom Edition/Opensauce stuff work in Windows 7, or am I better of getting XP? Will XP games not run well in 7?

TCKaos

Honestly Microsoft could have announced that day "yeah so we're going to stop doing Halo now" and I would have been happy. The book did such an amazing job at paying everything off and making you feel like you'd come full circle.

So I'm thinking I'm going to boot camp a copy of Windows now that I have a decent Mac that could double as a gaming rig for some old PC games I haven't played in a while... does all the Custom Edition/Opensauce stuff work in Windows 7, or am I better of getting XP? Will XP games not run well in 7?

Works fine in Windows 7. Can confirm.

Ghazi

Pffft. Turnips. The real easy money is in art smuggling.

tumblr_mrmmjajdBY1sbg055o1_400.jpg

Fig. A - successful delivery to HiredN00bs' extravagant bell vault.
All them 99k s

It did have a great sense of conclusion, I'll give it that.

He is a Forerunner. Easy way to introduce him as another Forerunner. Maybe call him an old Warrior with the same rank as the Didact. But do not tell the players that he is another Didact.

That seems like an easy enough way to do it.

Does anyone actually think Halo 5 (or whatever they're calling it) will be anything more than just hunting down Halsey and the Storm faction? Sure 343i could pull some living Forerunners/Precursors out of their ass, but it seems a bit counteractive given what happened in Silentium.

Just give Halsey a robot arm, make her not follow the rules but not be an antagonist. Stop the freaking glorifying of other at ONI while only painting her as a villain. ONI is much worse IMO. Anyways, bring back the Arbiter and ex-covenant that are loyal to him but friend to UNSC. Have ONI become an enemy. Bring in Forerunners. Bring back the epic Sci Fi Space opera feel of Halo 2. etc.

That seems like an easy enough way to do it.

Just give Halsey a robot arm, make her not follow the rules but not be an antagonist. Stop the freaking glorifying of other at ONI while only painting her as a villain. ONI is much worse IMO. Anyways, bring back the Arbiter and ex-covenant that are loyal to him but friend to UNSC. Have ONI become an enemy. Bring in Forerunners. Bring back the epic Sci Fi Space opera feel of Halo 2. etc.

The weird thing is that we now have a good side and an evil side of pretty much every faction.

UNSC / ONI
Arbiter / Remnant (neo-covenant)
Bornstellar Ecumene / Ur-Didact and Prometheans
Precursors (sorta?) / Flood

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked Arbiter out and stuck his story in comics for the fat gaf nerds and just let people get tricked into buying another blockbuster where you fight 3 covenant species and the Neo Prometheans again.

Nebula

The weird thing is that we now have a good side and an evil side of pretty much every faction.

UNSC / ONI

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked Arbiter out and stuck his story in comics for the fat gaf nerds and just let people get tricked into buying another blockbuster where you fight 3 covenant species and the Neo Prometheans again.

But you need a XbOne to play the next Halo.

UNSC / ONI

Ugh, I hope they throw the Arbiter back into the games. I feel like 343 in their hurry to make Halo their own tried to alienate a ton of Bungies story direction.

J10

Banned

UNSC / ONI

I prefer the idea that it's going to be the Master Chief Vs. Everybody. At some point I wanna see a big Two Betrayals-style battle between all the factions and the MC just picking everyone off from the sidelines. No green reticles ever again.

Fuchsdh

I prefer the idea that it's going to be the Master Chief Vs. Everybody. At some point I wanna see a big Two Betrayals-style battle between all the factions and the MC just picking everyone off from the sidelines. No green reticles ever again.

That would be a kind of hilarious Halo fan tagline for Halo 5.

Was talking this over with someone at FUD, but I can't really see them ever improving Halo's NPCs unless they are villains for at least part of the game. Humans won't be interesting to fight, really, compared to stuff the Covenant/Forerunner/Flood can do, but it would be nice to have them be competent allies or even enemies, as long as the latter is in moderation.

Booshka

That would be a kind of hilarious Halo fan tagline for Halo 5.

Was talking this over with someone at FUD, but I can't really see them ever improving Halo's NPCs unless they are villains for at least part of the game. Humans won't be interesting to fight, really, compared to stuff the Covenant/Forerunner/Flood can do, but it would be nice to have them be competent allies or even enemies, as long as the latter is in moderation.

Doppleganger Spartans controlled by Ancient Alien Ancestry.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably gonna hop on Reach in a little bit if anyone wants to join in. I could be convinced to play Halo 3, too. And, uhh, Halo 4 as a last resort.

Or Battlefield 3

YES HOLY SHIT

Ha, took you long enough.

For the record, I actually enjoyed Avengers for the most part. Yes, it's pretty dumb, but the film was decent enough.

What we were specifically talking about though is Whedon for some reason intentionally writing himself into a corner where he forces himself (or his writing staff for the show) to write some bullshit that shouldn't ever have to be written. A nice "fuck you because reasons" to the audience.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Oh cool, there's a Hornet and Gauss Hog on Death Island. The Hornet is pretty much just a reskin of the Banshee, though.

The Grenade Launcher turrets on Blood Gulch are cool, too.

TCKaos

On widescreen, there's a slight, but visible stretching of the reticle. Doesn't happen on Foundry.

Depends on the maps you play on. All of the .yelo maps and some of the newer maps with newer tags have HUDs optimized for widescreen, but obviously the original maps aren't compatible.

Top Bottom