• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

wwm0nkey

I don't pretend to know the publishing processes exactly but what is so bad about it? I'm genuinely curious.

From the outside looking it it just seems like MS want to test and measure the quality of releases and not fill the marketplace with garbage any kid at home makes. Similar to the CC's of Halo rather than just having publish in every gamers Forge mode. If it's really slow or too much red tape then I fully understand but it just seems like quality control.

There can still be quality control with Self-publishing.

My best example I can use is DoubleFine. Psychonauts while being an amazing game did not do well at release at all and it was published by Majesco who was the one who made the money off of the new copies sold rather than the Developer which is usually the case with published games also the IP rights were kept from DoubleFine after the first game as part of the publishing deal, then with a stroke of luck DoubleFine was FINALLY able to get the rights to their IP back then made an update for the game and now make every cent off of Psychonauts sales which has been doing very well in the past few years.

Now can you see why they and some developers are put off of publishers? They do not make all the money off of their game that they worked on and sometimes the publishing deal requires them to forefit their IP. Also it allows for more creative freedom from the developers as well.

So if you were a developer would you rather find a publisher and have to make a bunch of deals and possibly altercations to your game or would you rather have full creative freedom and earn money for every new purchase your game gets?

EDIT: Sometimes publishers can be great and not to a bunch of dickish things, but striking a deal like that is usually rare.

There can still be quality control with Self-publishing.

My best example I can use is DoubleFine. Psychonauts while being an amazing game did not do well at release at all and it was published by Majesco who was the one who made the money off of the new copies sold rather than the Developer which is usually the case with published games also the IP rights were kept from DoubleFine after the first game as part of the publishing deal, then with a stroke of luck DoubleFine was FINALLY able to get the rights to their IP back then made an update for the game and now make every cent off of Psychonauts sales which has been doing very well in the past few years.

Now can you see why they and some developers are put off of publishers? They do not make all the money off of their game that they worked on and sometimes the publishing deal requires them to forefit their IP. Also it allows for more creative freedom from the developers as well.

So if you were a developer would you rather find a publisher and have to make a bunch of deals and possibly altercations to your game or would you rather have full creative freedom and earn money for every new purchase your game gets?

Sure but overall with or without MS those same deals apply to a very high percentage of games made anyhow. Usually the backing comes from somewhere. I'd like specifics though, such as if they do give up their IP they should be receiving a larger percentage of the sale etc?

I understand your post and I agree the flexibility of self publishing is preferable but it's far from the exacting publishing details I'd like to know about e.g. Apple store allows content creators to keep 70% of sales and charges a yearly $99 per developer or Google play charges a one time $25. I'd like to know how that relates to MS publishing vs. self publishing in real dollar terms. Do MS provide testing or support or marketing etc? If they're not providing tangible benefits then I totally agree self publishing is paramount.

That said I don't want to see a Halo app store where it's nothing but anime forged maps that I have to search through 1000 times to find one gem of a community game. It's that sort of cost vs. benefit balance I'm curious about.

wwm0nkey

Sure but overall with or without MS those same deals apply to a very high percentage of games made anyhow. Usually the backing comes from somewhere. I'd like specifics though, such as if they do give up their IP they should be receiving a larger percentage of the sale etc?

I understand your post and I agree the flexibility of self publishing is preferable but it's far from the exacting publishing details I'd like to know about e.g. Apple store allows content creators to keep 70% of sales and charges a yearly $99 per developer or Google play charges a one time $25. I'd like to know how that relates to MS publishing vs. self publishing in real dollar terms. Do MS provide testing or support or marketing etc? If they're not providing tangible benefits then I totally agree self publishing is paramount.

That said I don't want to see a Halo app store where it's nothing but anime forged maps that I have to search through 1000 times to find one gem of a community game. It's that sort of cost vs. benefit balance I'm curious about.

I do not have specifics but with a lot of industry devs going indie I really do not think its just some random trend. Also its not like we will see a game called "Derp of Duty" like we have on XBLIG on self-publishing platforms because they will still have some form of quality control like Steam had before Greenligh (which needs to be adjusted)

I think the best way to look at it is, right now Microsoft is missing out on DayZ, the entire Oddworld series and A LOT of other indie titles that rely on self-publishing due to these restrictions, sure there will be deals here and there but its still a lot of titles they are going to miss out on and what happens when the next Minecraft or DayZ happens and it has to skip Xbox just because Microsoft would not allow them to selfpub?

Fracas

#fuckonami
x9ZYGpu.gif

Fuchsdh

Guys, please. We have the damn off-topic thread for this crap.

New playlist changes sound good, and more Flood maps are also good, I just have no real idea what Hivemind actually is after reading the blurbs.

Madness

Was it a perm for Booties?

Edit: Tashi, did you work on the new Flood stuff? It said the cartographers.

I don't get what's changed? Spawn with any weapon plus you can pick you up weapons and flood now require two melee to kill?

New playlist changes sound good, and more Flood maps are also good, I just have no real idea what Hivemind actually is after reading the blurbs.

If you want to talk about the changes to Halo 4, I believe you're looking for this thread. This is just the general Halo thread. Although, I suppose I should have responded to this post in this thread.

Madness

Finally started Red Dead Redemption. Ass Creed 3 was too boring. I'll go back to it later. Still got a bit of a backlog on my games. Next game will probably be Arkham City. I think the next year will be great to pick up games on fire sales that I didn't get this gen.

Tawpgun

lol fuck this place.

Half of you are saying this is the one and only OT, drop the other ones, others are saying save this for Halo save the other in OT.

What a mess

Nebula

Welp. I don't know what or where to post anymore. This is a mess. I'll be back when threads get merged/nuked.

Also sorry for not joining earlier Ice but I was promised to another. :( I might be on when BTB skirmish hits though.

Gun game was fun. Thanks for playing everybody. Spawning on the OUTSIDE of the OddbaseSwordball map was more fun than spawning on the inside.

"Spawning on the Inside" is the name of my mammalian reproduction tribute band.

Omni

The bulletin sucked - namely the part about Spartan Assault. Those questions answered absolutely nothing. Didn't bother to read on as I don't play Halo 4, but the only thing the first part served to do is remind me how much they've screwed up the storyline post Halo 3. eeeeeh

Madness

Man Red Dead Redemption kind of sucks. The controls are really poor. Maybe it's my fault for waiting so long to play it and get spoiled but damn. Wonky auto aim, choppy animations on and off horse, plus the damn weapon selector is just pathetic. Got blown apart like ten times while in cover and trying to move from fist to rifle. Eventually I found just pausing and choosing weapon from start screen is easier.

It should be like Assassins Creed where the game pauses as you switch weapons. Plus it's so sparse. Hopefully it grows on me, but I got Arkham City as well, might just start that instead.

Man Red Dead Redemption kind of sucks. The controls are really poor. Maybe it's my fault for waiting so long to play it and get spoiled but damn. Wonky auto aim, choppy animations on and off horse, plus the damn weapon selector is just pathetic. Got blown apart like ten times while in cover and trying to move from fist to rifle. Eventually I found just pausing and choosing weapon from start screen is easier.

It should be like Assassins Creed where the game pauses as you switch weapons. Plus it's so sparse. Hopefully it grows on me, but I got Arkham City as well, might just start that instead.

iDY0ylBpHPj09.gif

PNut

Banned
Tashi is Shutout, Simplex or Onyx in Team Doubles? If they are I never see them. Got destroyed by some nerds on Abandon because the map is pure shit in dubs and it comes up all the time. Along with Solari and Scythe lol. The Pit and Gaurdian remakes work great for dubs btw.

Fracas

#fuckonami
RDR was solid, but I don't think it's the amazing GOTG that some people make it out to be. IMO Rockstar as a whole is really overrated. Not bad by any means, but overrated.

Tawpgun

Wow. So bad.

Please go to the terrible post station and board the bad opinion train

Madness

I think it just takes some time to get used to I guess. It was just one of the games in my backlog plus I really liked the original for Xbox.

On a side note I think I'm probably done with Halo 4 though. Havent played much in a week, and don't really enjoy it much anymore. Probably get back into it to see Legendary Slayer. But it's a shame that I was the last person on my friends list playing and now even I'm done.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think it just takes some time to get used to I guess. It was just one of the games in my backlog plus I really liked the original for Xbox.

On a side note I think I'm probably done with Halo 4 though. Havent played much in a week, and don't really enjoy it much anymore. Probably get back into it to see Legendary Slayer. But it's a shame that I was the last person on my friends list playing and now even I'm done.

It really does get better. I'd keep playing. The first 3-4 hours are a total drag.

Top Bottom