• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

PNut

Banned
After several games of the new maps Vertigo seems like a puzzle map. Jetpack seems to be what people use.

Pitfall there were people using pro vision, jetpack and evading around corners. All the good Infinity Slayer random power ups like Saws, damage boost, OS were everywhere. Boltshot campers in sword. Slayer Pro is get shotty or sword and sprint around the map. A random forerunner cannon spawns in inviz at some point. Grenade bounces don't really work like they used too. All the good jumps in the original everyone can do now. They removed the ledge at second BR. There's also a lot of noise in the background. Really can't hear footsteps or reloads at all.

Think I only lost 2 games out of like 10 but after is was over I felt like I needed a rape shower.

Omni

After several games of the new maps Vertigo seems like a puzzle map. Jetpack seems to be what people use.

Pitfall there were people using pro vision, jetpack and evading around corners. All the good Infinity Slayer random power ups like Saws, damage boost, OS were everywhere. Boltshot campers in sword. Slayer Pro is get shotty or sword and sprint around the map. A random forerunner cannon spawns in inviz at some point. Grenade bounces don't really work like they used too. All the good jumps in the original everyone can do now. They removed the ledge at second BR. There's also a lot of noise in the background. Really can't hear footsteps or reloads at all.

Think I only lost 2 games out of like 10 but after is was over I felt like I needed a rape shower.

Sounds awesome. Going to buy the map pack now!

don__t_cry__baby_by_jarjames-d57b8fm.gif

1250.gif

Booshka

Feels like Halo.

Defect

I really wonder what 343 is going to do with Halo 5. I thought it couldn't get any worse after Reach but they proved me wrong. Will they do it again?

I really wonder what 343 is going to do with Halo 5. I thought it couldn't get any worse after Reach but they proved me wrong. Will they do it again?
They'll continue to fuck it up. And there will be multiple communities that will slrp and slrp. Leading them to continue their "vision" of a crippled "modern" halo.

Madness

I'm not as pessimistic. I think Halo 5 will be a much better game than Reach and 4. They've pretty much said that the Halo 3 rank system was what works. They've realized a lot of the stuff they added just doesn't work.

They need to keep the people playing still happy which is why they brought pit, added new perks.

The best Halo 5 can do is give options to turn all this crap off. Have the ranked playlists be classic Halo. Have the ability to turn armor abilities, loadout, sprint, perks off. Plus, never use flinch, instant respawn again. Make sure it's ready at launch, not 'to be added later'.

Defect

I'm not as pessimistic. I think Halo 5 will be a much better game than Reach and 4. They've pretty much said that the Halo 3 rank system was what works. They've realized a lot of the stuff they added just doesn't work.

They need to keep the people playing still happy which is why they brought pit, added new perks.

The best Halo 5 can do is give options to turn all this crap off. Have the ranked playlists be classic Halo. Have the ability to turn armor abilities, loadout, sprint, perks off. Plus, never use flinch, instant respawn again. Make sure it's ready at launch, not 'to be added later'.

These shouldn't even be options. They should all be scrapped (With the exception of loadouts for CUSTOM GAMES/FIREFIGHT only!).

As soon as I see Sprint in Halo 5 I'm done with the series.

mo60

These shouldn't even be options. They should all be scrapped (With the exception of loadouts for CUSTOM GAMES/FIREFIGHT only!).

It's best to drop the crap in halo 4 like the whole ordinance system, aa's and etc, but some of the casuals that like these things may leave the franchise.343i may just remove these things all together, balance them or make sure that they still exist, but are not polluting the main gametypes in the game.I just want 343i to keep them and balance them, but to not focus on them to much in future halo games.

Booshka

95% sure that Sprint is here to stay for Halo.

Think it's best to check out on the series now.

Just remember the good times, hope for Halo 1-3 on Steam and look elsewhere for new, quality FPS gameplay.

mo60

Most of the matches in ricochet lasted anywhere from a minute to about 4 minutes for me. I wish 343i would increase the score limit. The gametype is fun as long as you don't get jip into a match.

J10

Banned
One problem with leaving things like personal ordnance, sprint, AA's, as options is that they take up controller inputs that could be used for something else. And since we'll never have the ability to designate our own controller inputs, that's completely fucked.

Madness

95% sure that Sprint is here to stay for Halo.

Think it's best to check out on the series now.

Just remember the good times, hope for Halo 1-3 on Steam and look elsewhere for new, quality FPS gameplay.

Which is such a damn shame because it was one of the few non-ADS, arena/sandbox shooters left. It's probably going to be TitanFall and Destiny for me though. Maybe Battlefield 4 if I get a next gen console or build a pc in the meantime. Doesn't really bode well for a franchise though if it's longtime and dedicated fans 'check out' for good.

Nebula

Which is such a damn shame because it was one of the few non-ADS, arena/sandbox shooters left. It's probably going to be TitanFall and Destiny for me though. Maybe Battlefield 4 if I get a next gen console or build a pc in the meantime. Doesn't really bode well for a franchise though if it's longtime and dedicated fans 'check out' for good.

Plenty already have, including myself. Others are in a "last Chance Saloon" type situation with 343 and Halo 5. With games like TitanFall and Destiny coming up, I think Halo 5 is really going to have to bring something spectacular and new, or jump back to classic Halo. I don't see how it can compete next gen if it tries to be a typical modern shooter.

monome

Plenty already have, including myself. Others are in a "last Chance Saloon" type situation with 343 and Halo 5. With games like TitanFall and Destiny coming up, I think Halo 5 is really going to have to bring something spectacular and new, or jump back to classic Halo. I don't see how it can compete next gen if it tries to be a typical modern shooter.

longer SP with open-world, and tighter MP with back to basics approach.

343i can innovate with a spin-off franchise or down the road.

Titanfall has bases covered for the sci-fi hectic gameplay.
Destiny has the bases covered for the dreamy, obsessive MP.

Halo 4 MP + dedis + better tech = dead.
even if they do this : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656632

PS : kill Palmer in the first hour of Halo 5 and i will love you 343i.

wwm0nkey

The way I see it right now.

BF4 has the big team thing down and its identity revolves around that
CoD still has the lock on arcade shooters and again its identity revolves around that gameplay
Destiny seems to have a good chance of becoming the next big co-op game
TitanFall has a great chance of becoming the sci-fi arcade shooter

Halo is....well up in the air I guess? They have a chance here to get in on the Arena shooter market again which has dried up big time. I really do hope Halo gets its identity back rather than the confusion that was Halo 4 which was not exactly great at imitating things from other games.

monome

solutions :

1/ Bring Halo TV and Halo Chief story together : ongoing TV series with episodic gaming.
Halo TV is about UNSC/ONI, while Halo games deal with Chief/Precursors/Forerunners

2/ Free MP with every X1, regular Maps added.

3/ 2nd team works on an online/persistent Halo game that will eventually replace 1&2/ once The Chief's story is done, and the need for a singular hero is gone.

4/ all extanded universe efforts (books/comics, tablet games) are released exlusively under the W8 ecosystem, and under a strategic yet regular schedule.

Nebula

Palmer isn't dying. That much is obvious now. They wouldn't be detailing her past and bringing her up so much if they were just going to kill her off.

Madness

Palmer isn't dying. That much is obvious now. They wouldn't be detailing her past and bringing her up so much if they were just going to kill her off.

They're going to go the Halo 2 route. Half the time we play as a rogue Chief on the run trying to bring Cortana back, and half the time playing as Palmer trying to stop Halsey and Jul M'Dama and the storm Covenant.

Perfect way for them to steer the series away from Chief eventually while still propping up Palmer.

Nebula

They're going to go the Halo 2 route. Half the time we play as a rogue Chief on the run trying to bring Cortana back, and half the time playing as Palmer trying to stop Halsey and Jul M'Dama and the storm Covenant.

Perfect way for them to steer the series away from Chief eventually while still propping up Palmer.

This sounds plausible. What have you done!

willow ve

It will only get worse as the population learns to exploit the map more and more. Old maps weren't meant for Halo 4 and the sandbox additions.

Gui_PT

But they added new, horrible perks that makes it seem like they still haven't learned their lesson and considering they're already working on Halo 5, that's not good at all.

Omni

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd honestly be down for it... Palmer has potential to be a decent character. Not like Johnson decent, but maybe Miranda Keyes decent. Of course it would require 343i to really just think about how they're portraying her in-game though - they did an excellent job with the Chief, I see no reason why they can't make Palmer a likeable character.

Plus that would keep MC away from the terrible plot that is the post-Halo 3 UNSC/Covenant relations.

monome

begins rant/

Palmer cannot be redeemed.

I'm in the minority here and there but I like Karen Traviss, way back from the Wess'har books and the Star Wars stuff.

Her halo books are not even decent, simply readable for soemone who "knows" her.

Had 343i a modicum of idea what to do with Halo's story, and a will to put Palmer in the front of the lore, a Traviss storing featuring Palmer would have been a no brainer even for a lazzy MS ingeneer turned 343i executive.

343i brought Bear to write the Didact. He became halo 4 (5-6, possibly, although plans have changed as regards to the reclaimer trilogy) most proeminent addition the games' lore.

Palmer is a second thought, a bad one, and one that needs rectification.

Do it the vikings way (BTW, Vikings TV show is awesome), and sacrifice Palmer to your dead on arrival expanded lore (like a virgin to a deceased Chieftain), and let's focus on new horizons.

having a female character is okay, like any goodwill gesture.
having a great character, whatever its gender, is good.

yo're not gonna get my GF interested in halo because Spartans have boobs.
and fuck the crazies who choose a spartan female to hear them rasp under the helmet while sprinting ;-)

/ends rant.

Madness

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd honestly be down for it... Palmer has potential to be a decent character. Not like Johnson decent, but maybe Miranda Keyes decent. Of course it would require 343i to really just think about how they're portraying her in-game though - they did an excellent job with the Chief, I see no reason why they can't make Palmer a likeable character.

Plus that would keep MC away from the terrible plot that is the post-Halo 3 UNSC/Covenant relations.

My only problem is, they had their chance with Palmer. Most people are already "jaded" by her character. See, like no one really cares for Palmer. They're not at home thinking, man I love the character, I can't wait to play as her, who is she, where does she come from.

And it's entirely their fault with the poor writing and dialogue. The biggest mistake they then made, was to make her act directly against someone that Spartan-II's and fans hold dear, and that is Halsey. Most fans don't really see her as Hitler 2.0 like she's being portrayed. And this could be the consequence of the fact the series has transitioned form Bungie to 343.

It's quite rare you have a character quite unliked by the fanbase, be given leading roles in games and novels. That said, I have no problem with them creating a new character, female even, if you want to push that narrative. Halo fans are not averse to having strong female characters aka Keyes, Kat, even Veronica Dare from ODST.

I also think it's simple nostalgia from the past games. If they create a new Elite character, he's not going to hold the same "attachment" with the fanbase as Arbiter has you know? If they go that route, have half the missions be Chief with a broken visor, old armor, and on the Ark/Desert whatever and have half the missions with Palmer and the Infinity trying to find Halsey/M'Dama, I'd be okay with it. But I'd really only be playing for Chief, or to see what happened to Halsey, I wouldn't really care about Palmer.

I'm always amazed at the depth of hatred towards Palmer. Must add up to 30-40 pages total on Gaf alone. If I didn't read Gaf I would have just forgot about her. Typical gears of war throwaway marine cast.

Madness

I'm always amazed at the depth of hatred towards Palmer. Must add up to 30-40 pages total on Gaf alone. If I didn't read Gaf I would have just forgot about her. Typical gears of war throwaway marine cast.

You should've read how many people had multiple page topics on places like GameFAQs about her/her character...

But that just shows, not only did they recently release a new game (Spartan Assault) starring her, but a new comic as well (Initiation), and people either hate her, or forget she is even an important character.

But you're right. It gets a bit much how much people go in depth about the characters or the story here, as opposed to focusing on the gameplay itself.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
I bought the bundle last night. I played a rumble pit game and then played a match of SWAT.

I was so frustrated with the experience I didn't just put in another, superior game...I turned off my Xbox and went and did something else.

That's sad. Halo 4 makes me want to stop playing video games.

Gui_PT

I bought the bundle last night. I played a rumble pit game and then played a match of SWAT.

I was so frustrated with the experience I didn't just put in another, superior game...I turned off my Xbox and went and did something else.

Aw man

Do u need a hugz?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

A biiiiiiiiit over dramatic here, don't ya think?

But then again...
i9d3KOpCTqgk5.gif

I get you.

This one time, 3 years ago, I bought a sandwich. It wasnt a very nice sandwich.

So I never ate anything ever again.

You should've read how many people had multiple page topics on places like GameFAQs about her/her character...

But that just shows, not only did they recently release a new game (Spartan Assault) starring her, but a new comic as well (Initiation), and people either hate her, or forget she is even an important character.

But you're right. It gets a bit much how much people go in depth about the characters or the story here, as opposed to focusing on the gameplay itself.

Honestly, the most I can see 343 doing is build up Palmer to have some sort of redemption from her actions in H4 only to sacrifice herself for Halsey or Chief.

Madness

tumblr_m9kzcmMY881qbymseo1_500.gif

Exactly, Plamer was bad but way down the list on things wrong with Halo 4. The fact that a significant and pertinent portion of the narrative was on a website instead of in the game is far more worrying. Camo and PV are more offensive than egghead repetition. I understand why people don't like her, I just don't get the scale and depth of it in comparison to other things.

Does 343 even notice the abysmal number of people of playing Halo 4? Like it's kind of depressing, school just started and I always like to spend time after class chilling and playing Halo, but Halo 4 is just not fun. I tried the other day and nobody was even playing.

monome

Exactly, Plamer was bad but way down the list on things wrong with Halo 4. The fact that a significant and pertinent portion of the narrative was on a website instead of in the game is far more worrying. Camo and PV are more offensive than egghead repetition. I understand why people don't like her, I just don't get the scale and depth of it in comparison to other things.

because I simply don't play MP anymore, so my complains would have to be made on assumptions at the playlists/tweaks/etc...whereas palmer is thrown up and front of every Halo thing released since Halo 4...and I still can't help but browse at Halo news...

sorry.

gonna play Wondeful 101 tonight and for the forseeable future.
that keeps me playing videogames.

Does 343 even notice the abysmal number of people of playing Halo 4? Like it's kind of depressing, school just started and I always like to spend time after class chilling and playing Halo, but Halo 4 is just not fun. I tried the other day and nobody was even playing.

Halo 4 is fun to a lot of people. It's not some objective thing you can just state. As for the numbers, they fell off from the start.

I'd like to see future iterations rely less on the Season Pass model and on charging for map packs. I don't like the degree to which the playerbase is fragmented. Sure you have 343 supporting a load of playlists which encompasses multiple styles of play but then you layer on the added complexity of matching players based on dlc they may or may not have? That's not a good combo.

Top Bottom