• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

You have to walk a fine line in off-topic... People literally get offended over everything or people will literally defend anything.

Look at the ban Kyle got. And for what? For saying he didn't like the way he looked when he was fat. Was it said in a harsh way? Sure, but he had the right to say that about himself. Totally undeserved permaban.

As for Dax, she had great input for Halo but sort of left before I could join here. Pretty much all of the people I joined to play/chat with left. She hasn't really posted here in months, and it's sad she'll miss out on posting in the upcoming Destiny threads.

JDHarbs

Well obviously the horribly inconsistent BR that refunds you bullets because of bad netcode and isn't hitscan is totally my favorite.

Halo 3 does have the best campaign. And at least it will be free... I guess.
I think Halo 3 had some of the best missions in the series, but I still find it extremely difficult to put anything other than CE up as the best campaign.

daedalius

I think Halo 3 had some of the best missions in the series, but I still find it extremely difficult to put anything other than CE up as the best campaign.

I think CE is great up until the backtracking begins, after that I still enjoy it, but not quite as much as some of the initial missions.

Silent Cartographer is probably the single best 'explorable' mission; but I'd go with the Ark or the Covenant as the best linear mission.

Fuchsdh

I think CE is great up until the backtracking begins, after that I still enjoy it, but not quite as much as some of the initial missions.

Silent Cartographer is probably the single best 'explorable' mission; but I'd go with the Ark or the Covenant as the best linear mission.

I think the backtracking in CE works for me because it's largely for a purpose. You need to blow up Halo, so you have to go where Keyes went, and then you have to go to where you're going to blow something up. The only thing you could remove from the narrative is the necessity of actually disabling the generators; just cut Two Betrayals and warp directly to Keyes.

I think there's also something to be said for recontextualizing spaces the player has been through before. Halo primarily does this through combat encounters and enemies, which I think is unfortunate; I would have liked Cortana a lot more (man you could start a lot of sentences with that) if you traipsed through more areas you had passed through in Halo 2. Bioshock gets close to it, though not as much as I wished.

daedalius

I think the backtracking in CE works for me because it's largely for a purpose. You need to blow up Halo, so you have to go where Keyes went, and then you have to go to where you're going to blow something up. The only thing you could remove from the narrative is the necessity of actually disabling the generators; just cut Two Betrayals and warp directly to Keyes.

I think there's also something to be said for recontextualizing spaces the player has been through before. Halo primarily does this through combat encounters and enemies, which I think is unfortunate; I would have liked Cortana a lot more (man you could start a lot of sentences with that) if you traipsed through more areas you had passed through in Halo 2. Bioshock gets close to it, though not as much as I wished.

I like that it does those things too, I think maybe just Two Betrayals goes a BIT too long for me.

I do like how it feels more like a 'space' you are exploring rather than just a 'mission'.

Obscured

I also don't mind that when there is a reason. I liked some of what they did with Spartan Ops in that regard, but often it just felt like the UNSC was incompetent and couldn't hold a position.

Fuchsdh

I also don't mind that when there is a reason. I liked some of what they did with Spartan Ops in that regard, but often it just felt like the UNSC was incompetent and couldn't hold a position.

Yeah, it was the sheer repetition. The designers did a wonderful job of reusing the spaces, but especially for the first half of the season it was pretty laughable, the equivalent of a campaign "Flag Dropped! Flag Taken!" assault on the senses. One more reason why I think condensing some of those missions together would have helped the overall pace and feel. As it is, I can never remember which mission is the one I want to play because they repeat, and some are largely throwaway.

Booshka

Keyes on Legendary is batshit insane and loads of fun, totally worth the backtracking. I don't mind the later levels just because everything is turned up a notch with Flood, Covenant and Sentinels all battling it out.

TCKaos

If you set pages to be 100 posts in length, then it the thread loads properly.

Weird.

shKcQUS.gif

Fuchsdh

lol

any chance of that died the day Steam Machines were officially announced

Doesn't mean they can't release it without Steam (although that's probably a death sentence for the crazy Steam disciples that run PC gaming these days.) Besides, if they were already developing a PC version, they wouldn't drop all their work on it. I could certainly see the Steambox impacting future products though.

FyreWulff

Doesn't mean they can't release it without Steam (although that's probably a death sentence for the crazy Steam disciples that run PC gaming these days.) Besides, if they were already developing a PC version, they wouldn't drop all their work on it. I could certainly see the Steambox impacting future products though.

Don't underestimate the power of corporate politics and pride to kill a near finished or even successful product

FyreWulff

lol

Edit: So I guess on the 360 XBL only reports online Xbox One players' activity as "Xbox One". That seems like a missed opportunity to promote some games.

They might just be setting the rich presence to that while everything is in beta.

If it's like that in retail, they might have wanted to allow longer game names and longer rich presence text, which was already shortened to maintain compatibility with the original Xbox. So they just feed 360s a generic rich presence string.

Fotos

Have to say this because his videos are so god damn stupid. Halo 5 Follower is the leader of stupid conspiracies/ideas. He made a video talking about how the Chief replaced his boots with the cloak. Did it even pass through his mind that maybe he covered his boots with the cloak...? So many of his videos are pointless.

TheOddOne

Dead as Tupac
Tupac ain't dead, he was chilling with Biggy, Big L and 50 cent in Compton last week.

I posted again, but I don't believe it either.

I'm 99% sure that she will return as a temporary villain of sorts.
I mean, they spent a whole game talking about her "dying". Hint hint, that aspect is going to come back and viola Cortana was never dead because of nanomachines.

Soon™

In all fairness, Johnson stood a hundred years away from an exploding ship, on a ring that was destroyed, and then just showed up later and was totally fine.
Oops, forgot about Halo CE. The start of leaving key information tucked away in books that a minuscule amount of players will actually read.

Ramirez

I don't believe Bungie ever expected Halo to become as big as it did, and certainly didn't see far enough into the future at the time to realize they'd need to save Johnson for later games. Pretty sure they touch on that in the commentary in the H3 LE.

Didn't the Traviss books retcon the Spartan flash clones to be intentionally sabotaged to die quickly? So cloning can work okay in the Halo universe now?

Johnson Jr. will come back as a Spartan V just in time for Reach to be re-attacked by the ancient pre-precursors, which will look like blue Namekians for some reason. Calling it.

The Legendary ending was non-canon in the first place. iirc the Graphic Novel just gave the simple explanation that he fought his way through 343 Guilty Spark (level) and found a Pelican out.

I really hope they compose Halsey and make her Chief's new AI instead of reviving Cortana.

Didn't the Traviss books retcon the Spartan flash clones to be intentionally sabotaged to die quickly? So cloning can work okay in the Halo universe now?

Johnson Jr. will come back as a Spartan V just in time for Reach to be re-attacked by the ancient pre-precursors, which will look like blue Namekians for some reason. Calling it.

Pretty sure the soon-to-die flash clones were mentioned in Fall of Reach? Or at least well before the Traviss books.

I swear I remember reading something about how most of the 'clones' were just dead bodies found by parents the next morning after the abduction and made to look like somewhat natural causes. I could definitely be wrong though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The Legendary ending was non-canon in the first place. iirc the Graphic Novel just gave the simple explanation that he fought his way through 343 Guilty Spark (level) and found a Pelican out.

I really hope they compose Halsey and make her Chief's new AI instead of reviving Cortana.

I figured they'd either have Palmer in your ear (although I'm guessing she's a playable character) or the Infinity's AI.

Top Bottom