• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Tunavi

Banned
tombstone.jpg

I still think about you from time to time, Halo...

TheOddOne

#HiresomebodytoshutupNowise

Requirements:
- Must have worked on at least 3 AAA+ console titles.
- Must have touched Gui's wee wee for a second (Two to five seconds is preferable.)
- Have a doctorate in something from somewhere (Note: Heckfu’s beard school is not a legitimate school.)
- Must post weekly that you are quitting Halo. Come back and do it all again.
- Declare that season 8 of That 70’s Show is an abomination and shall forever be damned to the depths of hell, with Hades riding it’s corpse on the river of styx.
- Above all, have an extensive love for ponies, magic rainbows, Spongebob and of course peanut butter.

heckfu

Banned
Will you guys shut up about hiring people

the Juices stuff is mostly a joke (sorry juices!) but we're all very serious about trying to get Tashi on board!

Dude loves his Halo and has always been at the ready to help out with the new game putting in long hours fo free doing a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily on a lot of yalls radars. We just think it'd be a really good fit and they'd get a lot of bang for their buck if they gave him a shot.

Further, he's like a white Robert Horry, just really tall and commands respect. 343 could put that on their next game box, 'We have a white Robert Horry'. Well, 'We have a white Robert Horry with a really short haircut, so short you may not see it!'

Fans on Halo 2 neutral bomb

Try Obliteration in the BF4 beta. Sooooo good.

Also includes unlimited sudden death time.

Edit: filled with more battlefield moments then in a CTF match.

Will you guys shut up about hiring people

I agree with this. For as much crap as some of you give people for their posting habits, you guys need to chill out with this hiring nonsense. I personally don't care, but it's the hypocrisy that's rather funny B]

If you're serious about trying to get Tashi hired over the hundreds of other fans that may be more deserving, then flood their PM inboxes instead of this thread.

#HireUNKNOWNH1MagnumCamoPowerupThankYou.

Ever seen the vote countdown skip numbers or freeze while voting, or a map win with less than the majority of the vote? It's because the host was lagging. You're essentially already in a game together once you're at the vote screen.

FUN FACT: The reason Firefight and Campaign matchmaking tend to be 3 or 4 options on the same map was to help hide the longer load times for maps in those modes. Reach actually starts preloading the top option on everyone's Xbox in all playlists, and they intentionally put popular modes and maps in that top slot. This is so once voting completes, the map is mostly loaded already or is likely to already be loaded. Since FF/Campaign have much longer loads, they make all the options the same map to help disguise it. They only have to stat loading a new map if it's veto'd entirely.

You can see it for yourself in Reach. Watch the map loading bar at the bottom of it's picture when playing the playlists. It'll restart once the game decides to start preloading a different map. Also, playlists that are mostly Forge World will rarely have to load after your first game, like Grifball, because they cache the map being loaded. Or go into Anniversary Firefight with a full party. After the first game you never have to wait for Installation 04 to load again.

Heh, that's actually based off what Bungie did with Halo. After Bungie started the idea of separating playlists from game code, more developers have started making part of their game parameters a server side file they can change without a title update. 343 expanded on that by starting to include deep balance stuff in the playlist data instead of just maps and gametypes. Bungie actually created Forge not because they foresaw Sandbox and Forgeworld, but because they wanted to be able to change weapons and spawns after ship without a title update.

So where Bungie had everyone's Xbox pull down the playlist data and use it, other developers had their game pull down from a central server, but had game parameters in it instead. Super Monday Night Combat did this for game balance parameters, Rock Band Blitz uses this to determine the cost and payouts of powerups and stars. It requires a bit of initial investment to get the dynamic system working, but the payoff is easier updates at much less cost. Bungie just had to show other developers it was worth it. Developers that did patches tended to come from the PC world where you just put out a whole new exe and replaced entire datafiles when you wanted to change something about the game. Can't do that on console.

Just wanted to pop in and say I love your posts about the the various technical underpinnings of the Halo series. Also, what happened to Authoritative Shark? How long has your name been changed back?

heckfu

Banned
This thread is moving for the first time regularly in months and we can't even agree to hire tashi. Jesus.

Our resolve is strong, though. Hire Tashi. Peace, love, HGS.

This thread is moving for the first time regularly in months and we can't even agree to hire tashi. Jesus.

I kickstarted this thread up again back on Page 127 when I told Reach whiners to pace their shots. Everything I touch turns to gold.

Ouch, they're falling behind? Damn.

Bah, there's really no point in putting so much effort into this game anymore. 343, cut your losses and focus on the next one.

Its a shame cause when i play it, i still have fun. I think the hate just kinda turned Halo4 into a Windows Vista situation. No matter how much they tried, people were determined not to like it.

I've noticed that the thread has been speeding up in the past couple days.

"You hear that Billy? That's the sound of Halo coming back."

It has nothing to do with the fact that no one posts in the Halo 4 OT anymore, we've been on the same page for the past week.

Karl2177

Bug: Whenever a guest changes their emblem, it changes the armor of the primary account.

Repro steps: Plug in guest controller. Make sure the armors are different and the emblems are different. Change the emblem or colors of the guest account. Primary account armor is different.

Bug: Whenever a guest changes their emblem, it changes the armor of the primary account.

Repro steps: Plug in guest controller. Make sure the armors are different and the emblems are different. Change the emblem or colors of the guest account. Primary account armor is different.
#hireKarl

Better get Thermight to be your social network advertiser, I hear he's got got experience.

Madness

How are there like 26k people on gaming side and like 12k in off topic? I mean I knew they stopped the long waits and joining GAF is now instantaneous and it's more popular than ever, but damn.

Top Bottom