• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

Randomly listening to the Spartan Assault OST on MOG and wow. They really got it right, didn't they? I mean I knew it was decent by playing, but I'd put it above Halo 4's even.

... but are working closely with Xbox LIVE to ensure that players have a great experience with the Games with Gold program.

What does that even mean?

Yep you were right Fyre. Still, why do 343 blab on about doing something then don't do it? Did Major Nelson dream that Bravo said he'd update the playlists?

Halo 3 was the greatest Halo of the 360 era. Longest time spent at the top, strongest competitor to the Call of Duty dreadnought. So many 360's sold on the back of it. Can't manage one final update for the old gal. Halo 4 is a turd that couldn't even stay in the top 10 a year in. I've never scrolled down an update faster

Me reading the bulletin this week.

Madness

Probably also has to do with the fact that besides time/money, Halo 3 is a game they had literally nothing to do with.

With Reach, they took it over right after Noble Map Pack, took over the playlists, stats, updates etc.

With Halo 3, you're going to have thousands of new players. Don't underestimate the power of free. The reason they didn't make the DLC free, is because they want to get additional revenue. Even a few hundred people buying the packs at $5 or $2 is more than free.

Lastly, they probably don't want pros, casuals, longtime fans shifting away from H4 altogether and playing H3 again. Playing classic Halo in a sense that is wildly different than how Infinity/343 Halo is. People will play the campaign, they'll listen to music, see the UI/menus etc.

Omni

Probably also has to do with the fact that besides time/money, Halo 3 is a game they had literally nothing to do with.

With Reach, they took it over right after Noble Map Pack, took over the playlists, stats, updates etc.

With Halo 3, you're going to have thousands of new players. Don't underestimate the power of free. The reason they didn't make the DLC free, is because they want to get additional revenue. Even a few hundred people buying the packs at $5 or $2 is more than free.

Lastly, they probably don't want pros, casuals, longtime fans shifting away from H4 altogether and playing H3 again. Playing classic Halo in a sense that is wildly different than how Infinity/343 Halo is. People will play the campaign, they'll listen to music, see the UI/menus etc.
Sounds more and more like a tales from my ass thread the further you get into it.

It seems more likely that the announcement of Halo 3 as free caught them off guard and they just don't consider it worth it to assign someone to consolidate the playlists. Conspiracies about trying to get people conditioned to Halo 4's Infinity seem a bit far fetched.

Madness

Sounds more and more like a tales from my ass thread the further you get into it.

It seems more likely that the announcement of Halo 3 as free caught them off guard and they just don't consider it worth it to assign someone to consolidate the playlists. Conspiracies about trying to get people conditioned to Halo 4's Infinity seem a bit far fetched.

Not really that farfetched at all. And of course it's potentially tales from my ass. I'm speculating and using words like probably. Never said it was fact. They may have been caught off guard when it was first announced, but by the time it's actually launched, it'll have been what 4 months since they knew Halo 3 would be part of the program? I'm not a developer, but I'm pretty sure within 4 months they could've found some time to do it.

They have a GotY edition of H4 that just came out with all the DLC including Pitfall. I'm pretty sure the last thing they want is hundreds to potentially thousands not playing H4 and instead playing Classic Halo on the Pit in H3 again. How will it look if H4 drops to #13 and Halo 3 becomes like top 5 for more than a week?

But you're right, no point 'speculating'. Let's just take them at their word that it's 'limitations due to legacy tech'.

Tunavi

Banned
Me reading the bulletin this week.
iyXqKnMrCoxF1.gif

FyreWulff

More people will be on Reach after everyone downloads Halo 3 and goes and pre-orders the game after it tells them to when they boot it up.

Madness

More people will be on Reach after everyone downloads Halo 3 and goes and pre-orders the game after it tells them to when they boot it up.

"Due to the limitations associated with legacy tech, we will not be consolidating or changing the playlist layout for Halo 3". What are your thoughts on this Fyre?

Fuchsdh

"Due to the limitations associated with legacy tech, we will not be consolidating or changing the playlist layout for Halo 3". What are your thoughts on this Fyre?
FFS Madness he's already spent yesterday talking about it. Stop creating grand video game conspiracies in your head and read before you post.

Computer

At the very least lazy bit of a effort they could of got rid of the DLC requirement for Big Team Battle. This is a load of shit in the face straight from 343's ass! My friends and I have been hyped up about Halo 3 for months as if Halo 3 is a new game or some shit. Very disappointing.

One more thing 343. Don't ever say Halo 3 is the precursor to Halo 4.

http://i.minus.com/iyXqKnMrCoxF1.gif

Lol'd

At the very least lazy bit of a effort they could of got rid of the DLC requirement for Big Team Battle.

I thought that at first. Then I realised that means Valhalla/Sandtrap 24/7 (I don't think Last Resort one bomb is there anymore). What they should do is make BTB Heroic required. The mappack is free and it would add Rats Nest and Standoff to the pool. Not ideal but the best compromise.

Nebula

Call in Bungie to save the day.

I never expected anything from 343 in terms of updating old games. No AAA studio seems to do it. They like to keep everyone on the newest installment. 343 are missing out on some money here by doing this though.

Also it took them damn near 1 year to tell us Halo 3 will not be able to get an update despite them saying that it was being looked into before Halo 4 released? Dat communication.

Madness

FFS Madness he's already spent yesterday talking about it. Stop creating grand video game conspiracies in your head and read before you post.

For 'Fuchsdh' sake chill, I wasn't talking to you was I? Do you even know what a conspiracy is? Fyre had talked at length about the problems with the matchmaking systems, the fact that games don't tend to be updated once the new one is out because:

"The reason you don't see playlist updates after the next Halo updates, from my observation, is time and money. Even before the next game actually releases, they take manpower and time away from the current sustain team to update their game, as getting the new game out the door is more important budget wise than updating the old one."

I wanted to know what he thought about them saying it was because of the limitations of legacy tech and whether it was feasible to attempt it in the 4+ months since Halo 3 was announced would be going free.

And remember, these are the same people who literally made up bullshit about a 14 day buy and play to cover the fact they accidentally released the DLC for free. No need to get so defensive.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah I can't understand why they not just call someone who knows this stuff and ask to help.

And hahaha yeah i forgot the 14days play and buy trial thing, that was sos tupid and embarassing

Tawpgun

343's healthcare will take care of that shit.

#HireTashi

Tashi has been doing a great job with the community and taking notes on playlists and stuff. I remember when he had to trudge through that awful BTB playlist just for research sake.

If your Halo 4 sustain/test crew is full, hire him to manage Halo 3 or something then transition him to other stuff.

#HireTashi

Yeah I can't understand why they not just call someone who knows this stuff and ask to help.

It's not that they don't know how. They just don't want to invest the time to do it.

1) There's probably hardcore community veterans that live nearby that would come in and do the cert testing for free in their own time.

2) I know there's often issues when pushing out an update (reach MLG jump height, that ramp not spawning in a forge map in H4). However, that appears to be only when implementing new settings/forge pieces. Halo 3 just needed a few playlists deleted, DLC restrictions adjusted and the removal of toss like duels and rockets in the most popular playlist. Nothing new would actually be added.

Oh and also

>A game called Ascend: Hand of Kul being above the latest Halo

They put a fucking My Little Pony in forge art in the screenshot section of the Bulletin.

Unforgivable. 343 are the worst

Their beloved active camo AA is next week

343's healthcare will take care of that shit.

#HireTashi
Is Tashi running for President of Halo?
343, just ask bungie how to fix it. Man up, for the good of the community and Halo in general.

Forget that, have you played a game called Halo: Reach? They are the last people who need to fix Halo.

I was taking about the playlist update.

They have not been the best with playlist management either.

RIP Squad Slayer

CyReN

Looks like Ghost is retiring from settings, did a hell of a job making settings considering how little competitive merit the game had.

Was this posted?

The days of Halo being a major console selling exclusive game are over. I feel like Halo 4 has driven away too many fans for good for it to regain the influence it once had. After Reach, 343 had a chance to bring all of those fans on the fence back, but they "scrapped it" and made Halo: Modern Warfare. I think 343 believes in their design decisions like ordnance, loadouts, and stuff too much to throw them out in Halo 5. It would basically be them saying all their ideas were bad, and I don't see them doing it.

Halo won't be become totally irrelevant, but it's not going to sell Xbox Ones the way Halo 3 sold Xbox 360s.

Tawpgun

The days of Halo being a major console selling exclusive game are over. I feel like Halo 4 has driven away too many fans for good for it to regain the influence it once had. After Reach, 343 had a chance to bring all of those fans on the fence back, but they "scrapped it" and made Halo: Modern Warfare. I think 343 believes in their design decisions like ordnance, loadouts, and stuff too much to throw them out in Halo 5. It would basically be them saying all their ideas were bad, and I don't see them doing it.

Halo won't be become totally irrelevant, but it's not going to sell Xbox Ones the way Halo 3 sold Xbox 360s.

This.

The hype going from Halo 2 to Halo 3 made me and all my friends get Xbox's. I had a PS2 previously.

I need to see some more info on Halo 5 if I want to justify getting the more expensive Xbone. But I might get it anyway depending on what friends decide to get. And Titanfall.

CyReN

It's kinda funny, going into the 360 launch (it wasn't announced it was BC yet) I was worried not playing Halo 2 on the 360. Now Halo doesn't factor into that equation for Xbox One.

I just fear Halo is the next Sonic now:(

Tawpgun

It's kinda funny, going into the 360 launch (it wasn't announced it was BC yet) I was worried not playing Halo 2 on the 360. Now Halo doesn't factor into that equation for Xbox One.

I just fear Halo is the next Sonic now:(

Bit of a different scenario though.

Halo 2 was still the king multiplayer game. The CoD of last generation, if you will. When the 360 came out it didnt really have a challenger to it. Gears 1 gave it some competition but if I remember correctly Halo 2 still managed to beat it a little after Gears 1 launch. I was pretty much playing exclusivley Halo 2 and Shadowrun on my 360 until Halo 3 came out and stayed in my disc try forever.

Halo 4 doesn't have that kind of power/environment.

Top Bottom