• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Tawpgun

Although probably unintentional 343 needs to design levels (even the tight infantry ones) that can be attacked in different ways.

An awesome level would just be one open tight city like environment with multiple accesible rooftops, alleyways, streets etc. But with multiple objectives in it. Kinda like how Silent Cartographer was one Island you traveled around and through. Not a linear one way path.

Although probably unintentional 343 needs to design levels (even the tight infantry ones) that can be attacked in different ways.

An awesome level would just be one open tight city like environment with multiple accesible rooftops, alleyways, streets etc. But with multiple objectives in it. Kinda like how Silent Cartographer was one Island you traveled around and through. Not a linear one way path.

Agreed, SC is such a beautiful level. Graphically and technically.

Fuchsdh

Halo 1 was linear, it just didn't force you to play it "their" way. They pointed the hog in the general direction you could go, but you were never smacked down the same way you can be in Reach and 4 with kill volumes.

That said none of the Halo games can reach the crap Killzone 3 throws at you within the first ten minutes, where you literally have to blow up these canisters to destroy a bridge--it will just spawn more enemies because they want you to see a scripted explosion and not just kill everyone off. No other way to complete it, no other way to avoid it.

Tawpgun

Halo 1 was linear, it just didn't force you to play it "their" way. They pointed the hog in the general direction you could go, but you were never smacked down the same way you can be in Reach and 4 with kill volumes.

That said none of the Halo games can reach the crap Killzone 3 throws at you within the first ten minutes, where you literally have to blow up these canisters to destroy a bridge--it will just spawn more enemies because they want you to see a scripted explosion and not just kill everyone off. No other way to complete it, no other way to avoid it.

I just liked the feeling of I am in this big level, and it has multiple objectives in it. SC nailed that feeling.Reminded me of old school FPS's where you had a map and had to pick up keys and shit to open doors.

Most Halo levels feel like a straight path with objectives along the way.

IHaveIce

Banned
While I doubt that Foxtrot's good friend's cousin did already play it, I know a european company got already hired as a sourced out testing group by microsoft for "the next big Halo experience"

Appearantly they had some event already for contracters.

Sadly I can't say the name of the company or how I know that, but I also know that they didn't play it already.

Damn I know by myself how stupid this all reads, but this is how it reads when you're under NDAs

So if he played it, he basically has to be 343, Certain Affinity (probably again big involved) or a higher MS person

This encounter is arguably one of the best in the entire series.

I would always use Sputnik to use grenades / melee to push one of the trucks in front of the doors that the Hunters bust through. The door still splits open, but the Hunters are trapped behind the truck and there's no real way for them to get to you.

Obscured

Interesting quote from that Titanfall thread

"Because you move so fast, it’s not about who [aims quickest]; it’s about who outmanoeuvres the other."

Seems like a thing some here would like.

Really curious how the next set of FPS will start influencing each other. Seems like all of them are trying new things or really pushing additional options. Really curious to see how the next Halo will come out. I know there isn't a release date yet, but holiday 2014 seems likely and there isn't anything else big (yet) at that time is there?

CyReN

After playing Halo 3 Social for the last week, Equipment isn't as bad as I remember. Doesn't break the game like AA/Sprint do. Can't wait for new players tomorrow.

Interesting quote from that Titanfall thread

"Because you move so fast, it’s not about who [aims quickest]; it’s about who outmanoeuvres the other."

Seems like a thing some here would like.

Really curious how the next set of FPS will start influencing each other. Seems like all of them are trying new things or really pushing additional options. Really curious to see how the next Halo will come out. I know there isn't a release date yet, but holiday 2014 seems likely and there isn't anything else big (yet) at that time is there?

I'm assuming this is Mech v Mech not player vs player. Player speed looked to be on par with Call of Duty aka slow as fuck

Tawpgun

Why? I thought Halo 4's base movement was alright... It clearly needs some twerking but overall?

Well its better than Halo Reach's...

But I want more responsive strafing... or reduced auto aim. Something to give me a chance at dodging shots. I could be up against someone bad like heckfu but Ill still be worried we'll just 4 shot each other because it seems too easy. Whereas in Halo 2 and 3 I remember getting REKT by players with a good strafe. Haven't seen one in 4.

But some added mobility would be sweet. Something like a quake leap or modify the thruster. I've always thought Spartans should be as mobile as they are in the books.

FyreWulff

Philosophically so much better than AA's though. Both would benefit greatly from a visual identifier to indicate possesion. If Halo 5 has AA's I don't think I'll even rent it though.

Yeah, a big issue is you can't tell what AA someone has or what equipment they were carrying. Zero tell. I mean you can kinda see they have a jetpack, maybe. The other ones you can only realistically see by zooming in on them in theater.

Which is why if they want the movement options, I'm still of the idea of folding them into the movement system so everyone has them, all the time. Press A to jump, press A to thrust in the direction you're going. So if you do it while strafing it's like the thruster, if you do it while moving foward it's kinda like evade (minus the roll), and if you do it while jumping straight up and down you get an extra little bit of a double jump like a boostpack. Zero hovering capability. Make it the equivalent of what the grenade jump was in previous games.

It'd also be nice since it'd be on the same button you can already use for jump.

heckfu

Banned
I could be up against someone bad like heckfu but Ill still be worried we'll just 4 shot each other because it seems too easy.

Isn't it weird that the mechanics allow for someone as 'bad' as me to kill you but in games like fifa i'll destroy you 100% of the time? Now THERE'S a skill-based game.

I'm actually not shit-tier in Halo 3 due to even playing fields. I mean, I suck, yeah, but I'm not ganon-tier like I am in 4. Wahurrurur / Menachite / ExWife / TCKaos / fracas or franklin for bridging powers to form Halo Triple Wape Squad pls

Also, I really wish Halo would take a cue from every old arena shooter ever and just turn all the good abilities from perks / AAs / etc. into powerups. Bringing back the graphic.

hNPimhm.png

Tawpgun

Isn't it weird that the mechanics allow for someone as 'bad' as me to kill you but in games like fifa i'll destroy you 100% of the time? Now THERE'S a skill-based game.

I beat you that one time!

But this is true. FIFA has one hell of a skill gap and tons of depth.The better player will always outplay the other.

Even with me playing as one of the best teams in the game and Heckfu playing as one of the worst teams in the game he still managed to make it a game that ended up being decided in OT.

heckfu

Banned
I beat you that one time!

But this is true. FIFA has one hell of a skill gap and tons of depth.The better player will always outplay the other.

Even with me playing as one of the best teams in the game and Heckfu playing as one of the worst teams in the game he still managed to make it a game that ended up being decided in OT.

I'm just quoting this for preservation. I'm shedding a bugs.jpg sized tear!

blamite

The only really awful piece of equipment is the Regenerator: it's be much better if it worked like Halo 4's version. Otherwise, the Trip Mine, Bubble Shield, and especially the Gravlift were all really fun.

Yea Halo 3 is slowwww.

Terrible netcode
Fucking undependable BR.
Undefined leading even at stupid close distances where you shouldn't have to lead
Spread

Should remake Halo 3 with a bit faster movement speed, a hitscan DMR and upgraded netcode. 60FPS !!

Yeah, a big issue is you can't tell what AA someone has or what equipment they were carrying. Zero tell. I mean you can kinda see they have a jetpack, maybe. The other ones you can only realistically see by zooming in on them in theater.

That always boggled my mind. Jetpack has a jetpack, so why doesn't sprint have special super boots or camo have silver gauntlets or something? AA's were annoying enough in basic concept, but their implementation was really depressing.

[QLoadoutOTE=Prinz Eugn;86165194]That always boggled my mind. Jetpack has a jetpack, so why doesn't sprint have special super boots or camo have silver gauntlets or something? AA's were annoying enough in basic concept, but their implementation was really depressing.[/QUOTE]

I ran through the Halo 4 art book at a Barnes and Noble once and there was actually art in there that suggested they tried this. Problem is, the sketches were really goofy, even by Halo standards. Armor extensions weren't labeled to particular AAs, but guessing which were which, Sprint had mechanical space stripper thigh-high boots, Promethean Vision had cereal box x-ray goggles, and I think an overexxagerated neck guard with a projector was Hologram.

I think an ideal way for them to get their shit together would be by having a subtle, front-facing armor attachment, but with the key difference that there's a very brightly color-coded diode on the profile. Of course, the more powerful the AA, the more obvious the tech could afford to be - culminating in Active Camo having the arbiter's curvy chest-collar strip thing, if they really want to keep Camo an AA. That way if a Spartan had a big red stoplight on his chestplate you'd know he had Prom Vision, big yellow light near the abdomen = Hologram, etc.

A "Loadout Vision" AA could be fun too. Or even - and bear with me here - you could see people's active loadouts on the back button scoreboard!

That always boggled my mind. Jetpack has a jetpack, so why doesn't sprint have special super boots or camo have silver gauntlets or something? AA's were annoying enough in basic concept, but their implementation was really depressing.

I ran through the Halo 4 art book at a Barnes and Noble once and there was actually art in there that suggested they tried this. Problem is, the sketches were really goofy, even by Halo standards. Armor extensions weren't labeled to particular AAs, but guessing which were which, Sprint had mechanical space stripper thigh-high boots, Promethean Vision had cereal box x-ray goggles, and I think an overexxagerated neck guard with a projector was Hologram.

I think an ideal way for them to get their shit together would be by having a subtle, front-facing armor attachment, but with the key difference that there's a very brightly color-coded diode on the profile. Of course, the more powerful the AA, the more obvious the tech could afford to be - culminating in Active Camo having the arbiter's curvy chest-collar strip thing, if they really want to keep Camo an AA. That way if a Spartan had a big red stoplight on his chestplate you'd know he had Prom Vision, big yellow light near the abdomen = Hologram, etc.

A "Loadout Vision" AA could be fun too. Or even - and bear with me here - you could see people's active loadouts on the back button scoreboard!

BigShow36

OR... get this... you don't have loadouts because they add nothing to the game.

heckfu

Banned

Jesus, quit giving them ideas on how to keep shit in the game that take deviate from the gameplay that most of us prefer.

Or even - and bear with me here - you could see people's active loadouts on the back button scoreboard!

Yeah but 343 made it so you couldn't hold select and move at the same time.

^^^ Also what Bigshow said. AA's and sprint mean you can't develop classic maps that play great and are timeless. And if you're hamstringing yourself such a basic level as map making then what's the point of even producing Halo games anymore?

Obscured

I'm assuming this is Mech v Mech not player vs player. Player speed looked to be on par with Call of Duty aka slow as fuck

This was a quote from the article linked from that thread, sounds like the Player speed should be faster, but you are right some of the gameplay shown doesn't necessarily bear that out

'Living is easy in Titanfall. Certainly a shotgun to the chest will drop a Pilot in one hit, but Pilots are so mobile and the maps so large that there’s always a way out of any compromising shootout'

You could also read that as a 'get out of jail free card' like some feel about sprint.

Yea Halo 3 is slowwww.

Terrible netcode
Fucking undependable BR.
Undefined leading even at stupid close distances where you shouldn't have to lead
Spread

Should remake Halo 3 with a bit faster movement speed, a hitscan DMR and upgraded netcode. 60FPS !!

I enjoyed jumping back recently, but yes it really does feel slow. Surprisingly the netcode has felt much better than I remember, maybe I've got better internets than I had back then. Some games have that 'I shoot everything but hit nothing' feel to them, just not as often as I recall. I can't believe it, but I totally forgot about leading until FyreWulff mentioned it the other day. Strange that something so paramount to how I used to play just completely disappeared from my mind.

So when Halo 3 goes free we still won't have any real idea of how many people are playing because the player counts are hosed, is that correct?

Colors like that would have been better, unfortunately 343i has shown with their weapon designs and multi-team choices that colors confuse them and they therefore cannot be tursted (by them). I do wish there was some way to tell what loadouts your killers had.

Top Bottom