• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Colors like that would have been better, unfortunately 343i has shown with their weapon designs and multi-team choices that colors confuse them and they therefore cannot be tursted (by them). I do wish there was some way to tell what loadouts your killers had.

I think part of the problem is that 343 only ever uses one sense of identification to differentiate weapon projectiles compared to Bungie.

Bungie has one exception: the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol used the same firing sound effect in CE, but were green and blue. Other than that, though, most weapons usually had a pretty unique sound effect and a varied projectile. Hence why the Carbine ammo was green like the Plasma Pistol, but had wavelength-esque tracers and a more "hazy" sound effect compared to the "muted" plasma slap noises of the Plasma Pistol. 343, on the other hand, typically has a lot of overlap. Really, the non-melee weapons can be put in four categories:

UNSC: yellow or white tracers on bullets, pitch-shifted irl firing noises

UNSC ballistics: black shell with a yellow or white glow, easily-mistaken SFX

Covenant: different cold-colored blobs, near-identical-sounding cold, flange-filled weapon SFX. Note how the Storm Rifle and Needler sound pretty similar save for the Needler's additional "glassplosion" supercombine effect.

Forerunner: warm-colored blobs, sound effects are "digital" and rely extensively on screwing with the same audio samples by slowing things down (see: Binary Rifle, Incineration Cannon, Pulse Grenade, Light Rifle zoom-in...) so Promethean tech is debatably the worst at identification

Fun fact: Bungie was so limited by their engine that they only really used two or three muzzle flare effects in ALL of Halo 3 - and even doubled it as the Plasma Grenade explosion's electricity - but relied on palette swaps and different SFX to make sure they were different.

The problem now is that 343's going for real, grimdark, squishyvisceral metal sound effects. They didn't take into account that a lot of weapons have pretty damn similar ammo types (such as "bullet," "larger bullet" and "grenade") and underlying tech and as a result they sound pretty close in real life. While sure, it makes sense in-universe, it doesn't make for a very helpful experience in multiplayer... or campaign, for that matter, because you think the giant-ass Promethean with the huge silhouette is the same rank as a near-identical Promethean whose main indicator of rank is glowing, which is cut out after a certain draw distance. Is that a Light Rifle? Nope, it's a BFG that shoots a Combat Evolved rocket that explodes into Combat Evolved grenades, and you can't strafe because your movement's the demon seed of Halo 2 and Halo Reach.

Bonus fun fact: I never found the Prometheans to be that annoying in terms of bullet sponges after my first playthrough because I'm lame and pack a Plasma Pistol / Suppressor for the shields most of the time, but on Legendary with no help from Skulls, a Knight Battlewagon can withstand a direct hit from the Incineration Cannon's primary projectile. The satellite explosives will kill it, but god help you if it manages to teleport. It may not seem like much considering everyone has absurd health on Legendary... except no other enemy type in-game can tank a hit like that. Not even a Wraith.

Zoolader

Hows that Pokemon going?

So far it's been great, I put in 4 hours last night but stopped after I beat the first gym leader. My OHKO Fennekin evolved so that was pretty cool, except the evolved form is kinda silly looking. I got the exp share and started leveling up my newly acquired psyduck and pikachu. The exp share feels like I'm cheating but I just want to catch up my newer pokemon so they aren't so useless, then maybe I'll disable it. I read on the gaming side that in Lumiose City there was a save glitch so i didn't want to task any chances. Coming from pokemon red a lot has changed, so now I'm just reading some guides before I dive back in.

How far along are you in the game now and what's your lineup looking like? My friend code is 0877-0905-0256 if you want to add me.

I think I was talking to Daedaliusiusius last week about how a lot of Halo 4 designs seemed to have been nerfed by a design-by-committee mentality. It just seems like implementations ideas that may have been great overall but confused Nancy from accounting (like color-coded AA's or Promethean weapons that didn't all look the same) got nixed out of hand for extra-safe alternatives.

Homeboyd

So far it's been great, I put in 4 hours last night but stopped after I beat the first gym leader. My OHKO Fennekin evolved so that was pretty cool, except the evolved form is kinda silly looking. I got the exp share and started leveling up my newly acquired psyduck and pikachu. The exp share feels like I'm cheating but I just want to catch up my newer pokemon so they aren't so useless, then maybe I'll disable it. I read on the gaming side that in Lumiose City there was a save glitch so i didn't want to task any chances. Coming from pokemon red a lot has changed, so now I'm just reading some guides before I dive back in.

How far along are you in the game now and what's your lineup looking like? My friend code is 0877-0905-0256 if you want to add me.
This is the nerdiest thing I've ever read on GAF.

wwm0nkey

This is the nerdiest thing I've ever read on GAF.
Until this one you mean right?

Exp share isn't that bad considering trainers get way stronger in the game and it lets you not have to grind all the time. Also make sure to use Pokemie amie or whatever and get max affection to get a EXP boost for your Pokemon who battles.

Im at the elite 4 right now (28 hours in) also my current line up is

Greninja-Mild lvl 80 (max EV)
Charizard-Jolly lvl 61 (Max EV)
Garchomp-Rash lvl 56
Sylveon-Docile lvl 55 (Max EV....great Pokemon)
Aerodactyl-Brave lvl 59
Xerneas-Timid lvl 59

Friend Code: 4983-4923-7618

Have you seen any of Wahrer's posts or read ANY other thread on the gaming side? Half the posts on this page alone are people playing pretend developer, so whatever.

I think the nerdiest threads are the Pacific Rim ones trying really super hard to justify giant robots fighting monster because it totally makes sense if you think about it guys. Pokemon's not really that nerdy since you'd be hard pressed to find someone born since the late 80's who doesn't know anything about it.

Zoolader

it's hard to read what's on ignore
Brilliant I should use that feature once in a while.
bloodsport.gif

I think the nerdiest threads are the Pacific Rim ones trying really super hard to justify giant robots fighting monster because it totally makes sense if you think about it guys. Pokemon's not really that nerdy since you'd be hard pressed to find someone born since the late 80's who doesn't know anything about it.

I frequented the OT until it died off, man.

Wahrer for Chief Primordial Nerd Shitlord confirmed

Homeboyd

I was born in the early 80's and literally don't know one thing about it. I always assumed it was a kid's thing. Not hating, I just know nothing about it.

I'm an asshole. What do I know anyways?

I was born in the early 80's and literally don't know one thing about it. I always assumed it was a kid's thing. Not hating, I just know nothing about it.

iirc it's meant for now-grown kids who grew up with the 'giant monsters fighting giant robots' crowd, but it's also meant to introduce kids of this generation to the same crowd because Power Rangers is sort of in the Nickelodeon Live Action Ghetto at this point.

Naw, it is a kid's thing, but I think it's like how Lego is a kid's thing but also a cultural phenomena above and beyond that. But you need that nostalgia to get re-into it, if that makes sense.

Homeboyd

Naw, it is a kid's thing, but I think it's like how Lego is a kid's thing but also a cultural phenomena above and beyond that. But you need that nostalgia to get re-into it, if that makes sense.
It does. Legos go hard in the paint... I mean I don't play with them now but I guess I get it. I supposed I'm different from most here as I don't have or collect action figures, etc... I don't even know what I'm doing here.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I wouldn't say it's a kid's game at all. Look at it like a Pixar film; there's plenty of appeal to a younger audience, yet adults will find a lot in it too.

I wouldn't say it's a kid's game at all. Look at it like a Pixar film; there's plenty of appeal to a younger audience, yet adults will find a lot in it too.

It is for the most part, their target market has not historically been adults although it looks like that might be changing. I played Heart Gold recently and I would honestly say that while there are deeper elements that adults can appreciate, it's still very much a kid's game. I guess the newer titles might be different?

It is for the most part, their target market has not historically been adults although it looks like that might be changing. I played Heart Gold recently and I would honestly say that while there are deeper elements that adults can appreciate, it's still very much a kid's game. I guess the newer titles might be different?

It's a kid's game at its core, but the underlying game mechanics for getting a "perfect" team are still very adult. A random kiddo playing with his favorites is going to be thrashed by someone who's aborted trillions of baby Pokemon in favor of getting the "purebreds." For example, take a RBY favorite like Gyarados:

130.png

Pretty cool guy, right? Teach him Surf so you can get around, Hyper Beam, other powerful moves, level him up and you're set! You can destroy anything in your way.

And then take a look at what the fat guys serving as the premiere source for competitive battles have written up about him.

Overdoziz

Banned
All those MLG babbies say they're switching to CoD every other week because they're drama queens just like everybody else in the Halo community.

wwm0nkey

This one actually gets pretty dark since the 2 legendary Pokemon represent life and death so story elements go along those lines too. Hell they say in the Y Pokemons discription EVERYTHING dies if it dies. Also Cubone's description still says it wears its dead mothers skull.

Also (big spoiler)
They actually show and fully acknowledged the war where millions of humans and Pokemon die

This one actually gets pretty dark since the 2 legendary Pokemon represent life and death so story elements go along those lines too. Hell they say in the Y Pokemons discription EVERYTHING dies if it dies. Also Cubone's description still says it wears its dead mothers skull.

Also (big spoiler)
They actually show and fully acknowledged the war where millions of humans and Pokemon die

Well, shit, looks like I might have to play Pokemon again. Especially since Halo 4 keeps dying over and over and whatnot and Halo 3 whenever I play it is a terrible online experience.

Zoolader

So how much hdd space does Halo 3 really need? I have 8.7 gb free on my hdd and the Halo 3 download says it's 5.7, yet when I try to download the game it says my device is full.

Top Bottom