• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Karl2177

I don't know why I'm hyped for this. It's a game I've owned for six years.

Upon seeing this picture in the store, the hype went up even more.
screenlg1.jpg

I'm so PUMPED to play Halo 3 tomorrow. I haven't played Halo in a while ;_;

Also Frankie and Ellis if you happen to be lurking, some kid posted this on r/halo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9ut7PFXMuU he got perma-banned from Halo 4 for uploading screenshots from that modded campaign video Lord Zedd released. His gamertag "Underthefear." Seemed odd he was banned for fileshare stuff so I figured I might as well try and get some help for him.

The fact that there is so much hype over crappy Halo 3 right now just proves that once they throw a piece of the next Halo at us, we'll be going crazy.

Kibbles

I'm so PUMPED to play Halo 3 tomorrow. I haven't played Halo in a while ;_;

Also Frankie and Ellis if you happen to be lurking, some kid posted this on r/halo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9ut7PFXMuU he got perma-banned from Halo 4 for uploading screenshots from that modded campaign video Lord Zedd released. His gamertag "Underthefear." Seemed odd he was banned for fileshare stuff so I figured I might as well try and get some help for him.

Got banned cause 343 is jelly they couldn't do campaign theater, nice

The fact that there is so much hype over crappy Halo 3 right now just proves that once they throw a piece of the next Halo at us, we'll be going crazy.

Same goes for pros. If the GC's returned with online/live event qualifiers and then LAN finals with say a series of tournaments over the next 12 months pros/casuals alike would be chomping at the bit for action. Imagine $200K up for grabs every 3 months...

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
If you don't want to read, skip to the bottom.*

Does anybody else here besides me believe the GEN2 armor worn by Spartan-IVs is in fact Mark VII? There's a bit of evidence to support this.
Naomi-010 was wearing Mark VII armor in January 2553. In Halo 4's description of the Mark VI, it's stated that the VI is the last of the GEN1 line. Therefore Naomi is wearing GEN2 Mark VII. Master Chief wears GEN1 Mark VII. Of course her armor appears to be that of a Mark V variant, out of personal choice.
In Halo: Initiation we see that the Spartan-IV program is initiated in January 2553 with Palmer being the first Spartan-IV. Sometime before March 2553 she would receive GEN2 Scout armor.
Now here's the small problem. Nowhere, so far, does it say that GEN2 is Mark VII. It is stated however that Mark VII is GEN 2. It doesn't make any sense that Mark VII can be GEN2 while GEN2 is it's own separate armor series.

Essentially this is how I think it is.
*GEN1
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon
*GEN2
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon

Not like this:
*GEN1
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon
*GEN2
**Mark VII
**GEN2
***Scout
***Recon

The "Mark" series has never been it's own separate armor set like Rogue or Recon is. Rogue, Recon, Scout, etc are all variants of Mark VI.
If I'm correct then Palmer is in fact wearing GEN2 Mark VII Scout armor.

Now this brings up why 343i has all the armor in Halo 4 called GEN2. I think this has to do with not confusing players. While it seems like it shouldn't, I can see some players misreading Mark VII as Mark VI. There's also only one "Mark" armor in the GEN2 line. It only makes sense to just simply call all the armor GEN2 until a theoretical "Mark VIII" exists. Then it makes sense that it would be called Mark VII and Mark VIII to distinguish the two sets of armor.

I'm really hoping 343i clarifies on this.

*GEN2 armor worn by Spartan-IVs in fact Mark VII.

Madness

Damn, that E3 2007 gameplay trailer brings back memories.

"You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking... what? That you might escape the coming fire? Your world will burn until its surface is but glass!"

Fuchsdh

If you don't want to read, skip to the bottom.*

Does anybody else here besides me believe the GEN2 armor worn by Spartan-IVs is in fact Mark VII? There's a bit of evidence to support this.
Naomi-010 was wearing Mark VII armor in January 2553. In Halo 4's description of the Mark VI, it's stated that the VI is the last of the GEN1 line. Therefore Naomi is wearing GEN2 Mark VII. Master Chief wears GEN1 Mark VII. Of course her armor appears to be that of a Mark V variant, out of personal choice.
In Halo: Initiation we see that the Spartan-IV program is initiated in January 2553 with Palmer being the first Spartan-IV. Sometime before March 2553 she would receive GEN2 Scout armor.
Now here's the small problem. Nowhere, so far, does it say that GEN2 is Mark VII. It is stated however that Mark VII is GEN 2. It doesn't make any sense that Mark VII can be GEN2 while GEN2 is it's own separate armor series.

Essentially this is how I think it is.
*GEN1
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon
*GEN2
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon

Not like this:
*GEN1
**Mark VII
***Scout
***Recon
*GEN2
**Mark VII
**GEN2
***Scout
***Recon

The "Mark" series has never been it's own separate armor set like Rogue or Recon is. Rogue, Recon, Scout, etc are all variants of Mark VI.
If I'm correct then Palmer is in fact wearing GEN2 Mark VII Scout armor.

Now this brings up why 343i has all the armor in Halo 4 called GEN2. I think this has to do with not confusing players. While it seems like it shouldn't, I can see some players misreading Mark VII as Mark VI. There's also only one "Mark" armor in the GEN2 line. It only makes sense to just simply call all the armor GEN2 until a theoretical "Mark VIII" exists. Then it makes sense that it would be called Mark VII and Mark VIII to distinguish the two sets of armor.

I'm really hoping 343i clarifies on this.

*GEN2 armor worn by Spartan-IVs in fact Mark VII.

I dunno. Your reasoning is sound, but it's sort of odd they dropped the line in Glasslands but never really followed up on it.

What exactrly the Spartan-IIs are actually up to is pretty bizarrely quiet (we got the one line that they might be running around in some old armor in the Visual Guide but that's all she wrote.)

I dunno. Your reasoning is sound, but it's sort of odd they dropped the line in Glasslands but never really followed up on it.

What exactrly the Spartan-IIs are actually up to is pretty bizarrely quiet (we got the one line that they might be running around in some old armor in the Visual Guide but that's all she wrote.)

My impression from the Thursday War is that they are soon to be undergoing therapy to cry out the feels because something something humanity and war crimes and stuff.

JDHarbs

Damn, that E3 2007 gameplay trailer brings back memories.

"You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking... what? That you might escape the coming fire? Your world will burn until its surface is but glass!"
I still get a bit choked up during the Journey's End ViDoc.

BaconSkittles

Neo Member

I think Glasslands (or Thursday War) stated that Fred, Kelly, and Linda would be training Spartan-IVs. I'd like to see what ever happened to Grey Team. Hopefully they come back with their extremely outdated, and probably horribly broken, Mark IV armor.

lol

That is the only response I can give this post.

Does my usage of "crappy" offend you? I enjoyed Halo 3 even with its obvious flaws, but that doesn't mean I think it was one of the better Halo games.

In terms of gameplay (shooting, grenades, melee, everything that involves the actual gamePLAY in first person) this is my order: (Consistency and power rank high with me; I hate a watered down sandbox)

1. Halo 1
  2. Halo 4
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo 3
For everything involving vehicles:

1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 1
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo Reach
In terms of enjoyment:

1. Halo 1
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo Reach

Does my usage of "crappy" offend you? I enjoyed Halo 3 even with its obvious flaws, but that doesn't mean I think it was one of the better Halo games.

In terms of gameplay (shooting, grenades, melee, everything that involves the actual gamePLAY in first person) this is my order: (Consistency and power rank high with me; I hate a watered down sandbox)

1. Halo 1
  2. Halo 4
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo 3
For everything involving vehicles:

1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 1
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo Reach
In terms of enjoyment:

1. Halo 1
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo Reach

Reach>4

Nebula

I enjoyed Halo 3 more than Halo 2 despite 2 being the first Halo game I properly got in to. Halo 1 was the first one I played, but only the campaign with a few 1 v 1s. Played it way more on my friends modded Xbox during the Halo 2 days though.

Halo 3 has many flaws though, and I'll never deny that. I guess the good trumped the bad which is why I still enjoy Halo 3 when I play it. Halo 4 has way too many issues for me to even play the normal settings in matchmaking. That is why it ranks last on all those lists for me.

Zoolader

So how much hdd space does Halo 3 really need? I have 8.7 gb free on my hdd and the Halo 3 download says it's 5.7, yet when I try to download the game it says my device is full.

To answer my own question apparently I need about 10 gb free on my hdd to download this 5.72gb game. Still have 4 gb free on my hdd after finishing the download, shitty 20 gb hdd go figure.

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
I recently rebought Halo: Reach after not playing it for so long and I gotta say Halo 4 is way better. Halo 3 is also very good, but I think that might be because of a mix of nostalgia and the game itself. Halo: Reach feels like Halo 3 trying to be a "new" game but instead it fails at it. There's a couple of things that I really liked about Reach that I think should have been in Halo 4, but there could be many reasons behind them and honestly it's not a big deal.

Fuchsdh

I think Glasslands (or Thursday War) stated that Fred, Kelly, and Linda would be training Spartan-IVs. I'd like to see what ever happened to Grey Team. Hopefully they come back with their extremely outdated, and probably horribly broken, Mark IV armor.

I really want the Halo Wars characters to come in from the cold. The Flood as as secret is out, so they have no reason not to. And I agree, Grey Team would be another great loose end to tie up.

Also. First and only game of the night. Only time I've ever done this legit.

fHbqALA.gif

Still wouldn't have counted for the stupid achievement.

I recently rebought Halo: Reach after not playing it for so long and I gotta say Halo 4 is way better. Halo 3 is also very good, but I think that might be because of a mix of nostalgia and the game itself. Halo: Reach feels like Halo 3 trying to be a "new" game but instead it fails at it. There's a couple of things that I really liked about Reach that I think should have been in Halo 4, but there could be many reasons behind them and honestly it's not a big deal.

Jumping back and forth, Halo 4 definitely feels the best to me. I like how it handles, the FOV and the move speed. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the other games, and I think it's been widely said here that Halo 4's base gameplay might be the best except for (AAs, perks, et al choose your own adventure), which I would largely agree with. Despite the great feel, the aesthetics and the occasional chaos and uncertainty of loadouts can dampen my enjoyment in a way the other games don't.

Fuchsdh

I'm not sure if it was Tattoo Tuesday or Halo Free that saved Halo today.

Why can't it be both?

Oh, and I did some QAD modifying of some .plist and system files, and so I might have created a 720p JPEG preset I can actually capture footage from (without the benefit of a real preview.) Progress!

Mabef

Banned
What was the name of the dude who scribbled his dumb name on all of his leaked Halo 3 screenshots? That was a thing that happened, right? I might be crazy.

It's been too long, H3. You know I can't quit you.

Defect

What was the name of the dude who scribbled his dumb name on all of his leaked Halo 3 screenshots? That was a thing that happened, right? I might be crazy.

Tom Morello? I know he did that for Reach.

BaconSkittles

Neo Member

Tom Morello?

BTW Does anybody remember how some interview with Bungie on Reach said that you could use the Hunter's plasma cannon by ripping it off their dead body?

Top Bottom