• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
Sure.

Master Chief wears MKVI MJOLNIR. There is no GEN1 MK VII.

This is where you lose me. It's not called GEN 2 to limit confusion
What confusion?
. I would imagine that on a canonical level, that it's due to the fact that the second generation of MJOLNIR marks the start of mass production.

Code:
You have your first generation of MJOLNIR. It is categorised by how hard it is to produce and its immense cost (more than a starship, no?). 

[B]GEN1:
MKI / II / III / IV / V / VI
[/B]
Plus your sub categories of the MK Xs:
Recon, Scout... blah blah blah.

Then after the Cov war, it becomes easier and cheaper to produce.

[B]GEN 2:
MK VII / VIII /...
[/B]
and the sub categories within.

So, IMO:

MK X = differentiates upgrades within the armour itself.
GEN X = differences in economic and production values - with a hint of subjective reasoning.

My bad on the typo of the Chief having Mk. VII.
Where did you get the whole "Mk. X?" It's always just Mark VI/Rogue or something like that. But the Chief does wear GEN1 MJOLNIR Mark VI. Of course I'm speculating that he's wearing the "Warrior" variant as in Halo 4 it's stated that the "Warrior" is the mainline armor set. So if the Chief had been on Earth when Mark VII came out, he would mostly likely have gotten the Warrior variant.

Anyway I've tried asking multiple 343i employees about this in person but none of them know enough of the canon to be able to answer it.

wwm0nkey

Well I just changed playing on a 42' tv screen to a 22' monitor and what a huge difference that makes for me. Was getting my ass handed to me before the change and now I'm going really positive k/d and killing frenzies.
Yup pretty much what I did and what happened when I did, they need to make "gaming" TVs with little input delay.

I just got the best idea for a pumpkin carving ever. Get a big pumpkin and a small pumpkin, hollow out / split open the big one four ways, and make a Pumpkimethean Knight with a head that opens and closes!

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
So I rebought Halo: Reach a couple days ago for references for the fan film and I think I figured out why Reach wasn't a very popular game.
Just to simply put it, Halo: Reach is Halo 3 trying to be something else and it "failed" at doing so. It doesn't feel like a "true" sequel and feels like Halo 3 but with armor abilities. The maps at times feel way too huge and I struggle to get across them. The bloom, for some reason, is still present and is just horrible.
The campaign is still dull, with little to no character development. There's also hardly any memorable moments from the campaign with the exception of Long Night of Solace. But even that mission is a fail as you can't fail it.

I do however like a couple of things about the game. I think the armor looks way better in Reach, though this most likely has to do with the materials and lighting. I do miss the various armor components such as ammo packs and flashlights. I really hope this returns in Halo 5.
Also there's a couple of small things about Reach that I'd like for them to return, but aren't necessary. When the announcer says "Slayer" in Reach, it just sounds better. I can't describe it but it's the same way in Halo 1, 2, and 3 and is absent from 4. Also I think Spartans should make sounds when they run and get shot at. This is a small detail in Reach that I feel should return in Halo 5.

Now I love Halo 3, but I feel it might be because of a bit of nostalgia. It is a fun game, but if a game came out today with the exact same gameplay, mechanics, etc I'm sure it wouldn't be very popular at all. I remember wanting to sprint in Halo 3 way before Reach came out.

I love Halo 3 and Halo 4. Both are great games with the same basic core gameplay, but are different. I still enjoy playing Halo: Reach for the left out gametypes such as multiplayer campaign, Headhunter, and Invasion. But if you ask me I'd say Halo: Reach is the "worst" of the series. People give Halo 4 so much crap but these people are what I like to call "Halo conservatives." Just like American conservatives, they think their way is the better way and want it to stay like that. Anything else is awful and there's no room for compromise.

1380480_581739131886795_542557524_n.jpg

Thought I'd share this here.

I do however like a couple of things about the game. I think the armor looks way better in Reach, though this most likely has to do with the materials and lighting. I do miss the various armor components such as ammo packs and flashlights. I really hope this returns in Halo 5.

boooooooooooooooooooo

Also there's a couple of small things about Reach that I'd like for them to return, but aren't necessary. When the announcer says "Slayer" in Reach, it just sounds better. I can't describe it but it's the same way in Halo 1, 2, and 3 and is absent from 4.

This is a significant feeling that's absent from Halo 4, like the respawn beeps. It's one of those subconscious things that most people won't point out, but everyone will be like "ahhh, yeah" once they're reminded of it.

For example, one of the many reasons for Gears Judgment's multiplayer failure was the noises Locusts/COG's would make when they're moving. It's the little details that count.

She's had a lot of trouble in that region before, she's gone through this procedure before, but I guess this is the first time they found polyps.

Well try to hang in there man, one bit of advice. Whatever you (and her) are speculating it isn't that until they say it is. When they found my tumor I was a mess and had surgeries every 3 months for 2 years. I'm fine now. The point is, try not to worry until you have a reason to worry.

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
boooooooooooooooooooo

This is a significant feeling that's absent from Halo 4, like the respawn beeps. It's one of those subconscious things that most people won't point out, but everyone will be like "ahhh, yeah" once they're reminded of it.

For example, one of the many reasons for Gears Judgment's multiplayer failure was the noises Locusts/COG's would make when they're moving. It's the little details that count.

I mean the armor "looks" better in Reach because of the materials and lighting of the game. It's just different in Halo 4. I love the armor customization in Halo 4, I just want my flashlights and ammo packs back.

Well try to hang in there man, one bit of advice. Whatever you (and her) are speculating it isn't that until they say it is. When they found my tumor I was a mess and had surgeries every 3 months for 2 years. I'm fine now. The point is, try not to worry until you have a reason to worry.

I appreciate those words of wisdom, man, it just feels unreal that something like that is even a possibility. I mean its one thing to happen to me, but another thing entirely to happen to someone i love.

Anyway, Halo discussion.

That drawing is really cool, it gets my hyped up for Halo: One 5: HD Remix: Spartan Palmer Edition

Fuchsdh

boooooooooooooooooooo

I do think a lot of people would like Halo 4 more if they had kept the aesthetic closer to Bungie's. Sure, they can blame ordnance, et al, but especially since many of those issues have been removed, the surface details really do affect our interest and perception of the underlying whole (I certainly would have appreciated more aesthetic continuity in the campaign.)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pretty interesting tidbit in this Xbox One Multiplayer Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6UwRitOZU&t=3m10s

Q. So if you're into a very specific gametype on a very specific game, you'll be able to find that game that you really want easier right?

A. That's right. So one of the really cool features of the Xbox Live Compute platform is this ability to spin up a server with exactly the parameters that you want to play. So if I wanna play Deathmatch mode on this particular map that is now all configurable by the game developer, on demand.

So essentially host your game lobbies but on MS' Cloud servers? That's pretty sick. Would need a great UI to make sure players find these hosted lobbies too. Halo should do this and matchmaking as well.

Pretty interesting tidbit in this Xbox One Multiplayer Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6UwRitOZU&t=3m10s

Q. So if you're into a very specific gametype on a very specific game, you'll be able to find that game that you really want easier right?

A. That's right. So one of the really cool features of the Xbox Live Compute platform is this ability to spin up a server with exactly the parameters that you want to play. So if I wanna play Deathmatch mode on this particular map that is now all configurable by the game developer, on demand.

So essentially host your game lobbies but on MS' Cloud servers? That's pretty sick. Would need a great UI to make sure players find these hosted lobbies too. Halo should do this and matchmaking as well.

Sounds fantastic, nice insight too mate.

I wonder if X1 has any plans to offer a guaranteed geolocation or dedicated resources plan based on this e.g. optional platinum subscription that guarantees minimum set resources for your own server/friends invites etc?

daedalius

Well, that Halo 3 BR is just as inconsistent as always. Totally helps that there is a ton of feedback if you are hitting/shields are broken... oh wait.

Hope it goes better on Lan!

TheOddOne

Microsoft on Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary

Phil Spencer on Halo Something Something.
Regarding the surprising video featuring a cloaked Master Chief walking slowly through the desert, Spencer said, “There was no ambiguity in not putting a number after the game. For me, what we showed wasn’t the game. Nobody should be confused on that. I didn’t really want to try to show something that was clearly a thought piece by the studio around where Master Chief is in his journey, and then drop the name after it and be somewhat disingenuous about that being the game."

And yet, Spencer did have a plan: “But I did want Bonnie to come out and say, ‘First-person shooter. Master Chief.’ Because they’ll get the questions – ‘Hey, is this ODST? What are you guys doing?’ Bonnie comes out and reaffirms that 343 is building this game. It’s Master Chief. It’s a first-person shooter at 60 frames per second. It’s coming in 2014.”

When I asked why show Halo now without a game to formally announce, his answer was…intriguing. “If you go back in Halo history, and I’ve been around all of the Halos since Halo 1… Halo usually has two E3s.”
On Halo 2 Anny.
But back to the 2014 timing. Does this mean Halo 2 Anniversary won’t happen? Because surely Microsoft wouldn’t release two Master Chief-starring first-person Halo games in the same year, right? “I’ll be open,” Spencer began. “We have discussions about it. It’s more about the right time and making sure that we really would do the right thing for the franchise.

He elaborated: “The Halo Anniversary that we did was as much about the launch of the first Xbox as well. It was a culmination of many things coming together. It would probably run out of steam if we were trying to think about, ‘Okay, what’s 10 years old now?’ It’s definitely more from the game itself, the experience that we’re able to bring to market. Less about ‘Is the last digit a zero?’ in terms of its anniversary.”
H5xHX.gif

Omni

Regarding the surprising video featuring a cloaked Master Chief walking slowly through the desert, Spencer said, “There was no ambiguity in not putting a number after the game. For me, what we showed wasn’t the game. Nobody should be confused on that. I didn’t really want to try to show something that was clearly a thought piece by the studio around where Master Chief is in his journey, and then drop the name after it and be somewhat disingenuous about that being the game."
I really can't wrap my head around this. So... the trailer is... [irrelevant] and represents nothing more than a Halo game coming next year?

Why is this such a big issue? They're either making Halo 5 or they're not. I just don't

disgusted-reaction-gif.gif

Microsoft on Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary

Phil Spencer on Halo Something Something.

On Halo 2 Anny.

H5xHX.gif

Probably run out of steam? :eek:

disgusted-reaction-gif.gif

I really can't wrap my head around this. So... the trailer is... [irrelevant] and represents nothing more than a Halo game coming next year?

why is this such a big issue. they're either making Halo 5 or they're not. I just don't

I think it's more they have absolutely no idea how to continue the story without turning it into a mass effect shitshow, which probably wouldn't bring fans back now that the realization's setting in that halo 4 has like a daily 18k player peak less than a year after launch. It doesn't help that they completely blew their plot load with their first real standalone installments. Halo 4 may not have put a major dent in the story, but Silentium literally tied up a good 95% of any interesting plot lines, pre-established or otherwise. It's mind-boggling because they left practically nothing to expand upon in the future games without introducing more plot-wankery in the first place.

IHaveIce

Banned
So it does release next year vut they can't give info what the game really is and if the trailer has a deeper meanibg connected to the game?

Cool makes me trust 343 that they can make it in time, Halo 4 felt rushed, I'm not sure they learned out of it

Madness

Trailer pretty self explanatory. Chief was already insubordinate to this ranking officer on the Infinity. Since when do Spartans say no, even when it's a suicide mission?

Plus, he got all emotional with Cortana. It's obvious he's gone 'rogue' especially now that Halsey will be declared an enemy of the UNSC/ONI.

I expect since we never got a season 2 of Spartan Ops, they'll roll that story in as well. I just wonder if they'll have Chief try and get Arbiters help, or if we'll be forced to play as Palmer.

Nebula

They can always pull a Bungie and just say Game Canon > Book Canon and shit all over what has happened in the books.

See I'm great at this!

I'll be playing Halo 3 this weekend, so I hope you kids have comfy backpacks. I'll probably play the campaign again just to remember the control setup and also that the magnum is not to be used for anything.

Top Bottom