• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
URK, if you're lurking, any chance of any of the prints from this show going up online? I would love to buy some stuff by Bungie artists.

https://www.facebook.com/events/532723786804131/

1382406_615046875213047_422250372_n.jpg

That's a complete lie by Spencer. I mean, seriously starting now 343 has ONE year to finish up Halo 5. I'm sure half the team switched to Halo 5 around November of LAST year. Also assuming some teams were working on Halo 5 for a while before that, really making it around a 2-3 year development, which sounds alright.

but if they have NO idea where to take the story, does that really mean details haven't been finalized and they're doing all that in ONE year? Wow. Halo 5 is going to be a rush job if true.

Madness

That's a complete lie by Spencer. I mean, seriously starting now 343 has ONE year to finish up Halo 5. I'm sure half the team switched to Halo 5 around November of LAST year. Also assuming some teams were working on Halo 5 for a while before that, really making it around a 2-3 year development, which sounds alright.

but if they have NO idea where to take the story, does that really mean details haven't been finalized and they're doing all that in ONE year? Wow. Halo 5 is going to be a rush job if true.

To be honest, for me the fight is finished. I don't care about the story much at all now. Didn't even care for it during Spartan Ops or the campaign. I was only upset at the treatment of Halsey/Chief.

They probably started internal development in 2011, and probably started real development a few months before Halo 4 shipped.

I would hope more of their focus is on the multiplayer, firefight, and other things as opposed to campaign. And I know a lot play for campaign only, but multiplayer is what gives the game legs, it's what brings not only more fans, but keeps current fans hooked as well.

Bonnie emphasized 60 fps and dedicated servers. So that means multiplayer is on their mind, especially with the hit or miss Halo 4 was.

Let's be honest, they've probably created a shitload of new areas, maps, campaign stuff, and will sort of make up the story as they go along. I mean they said they literally came up with the idea for the ending of Season 1 of Spartan Ops by jokingly saying let's just throw Requiem into the sun and did it. Then again, someone like Fyre would know better about development.

All I hope is that we get some clear information on what type of multiplayer it is, and whether there will be a beta.

I wonder if they're behind in development. A delay would be pretty huge.
CBoAT said Microsoft is 6 months behind in Development, so maybe 343 is really behind.

Then again at this point I really don't believe that leak, since Forza 5 is coming out flawlessly, Ryse, aside from a 1080p to 900p downgrade, is coming out okay, and Dead Rising 3 seems to have no issues. Microsoft isn't the one delaying Launch Games. :p

343 being behind though, I could really believe. I wonder how small the team that made the Champion DLC is.

CBoAT said Microsoft is 6 months behind in Development, so maybe 343 is really behind.

Then again at this point I really don't believe that leak, since Forza 5 is coming out flawlessly, Ryse, aside from a 1080p to 900p downgrade, is coming out okay, and Dead Rising 3 seems to have no issues. Microsoft isn't the one delaying Launch Games. :p

343 being behind though, I could really believe. I wonder how small the team that made the Champion DLC is.
I think he was only talking about MS's internal teams like 343, Black Tusk, Rare(which has already had their game delayed), Lionhead, and a few others. Ryse and Dead Rising are from Crytek and Capcom.

I think he was only talking about MS's internal teams like 343, Black Tusk, Rare(which has already had their game delayed), Lionhead, and a few others. Ryse and Dead Rising are from Crytek and Capcom.
Completely forgot about Kinect Sports Rivals! Forgot that game went from Day One to Spring 2014. Heh.

So the weird part about Axis's trailer is this:
1. They uploaded their "Halo 5" trailer up on Vimeo. Word spread about it fast and then they set the damn video to private.
2. A few days later they reposted the link to their video saying whatever error there was had been fixed and the video is back up. So after watching it they changed their original Halo 5 trailer to the Halo Xbox One from E3.

TheOddOne

FYI that article from June. So four months ago.
So the weird part about Axis's trailer is this:
1. They uploaded their "Halo 5" trailer up on Vimeo. Word spread about it fast and then they set the damn video to private.
2. A few days later they reposted the link to their video saying whatever error there was had been fixed and the video is back up. So after watching it they changed their original Halo 5 trailer to the Halo Xbox One from E3.
jT8NkUyCfPAqN.png

Stalp guys, thou shall not name ty Halo numburo 5.

Tawpgun

Bring back the monks. I loved it when you heard them as the Halo title card came up. So iconic. Stop trying to take away from Halo's identity and substituting it with your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMhlyDjldwY

Look at this.

1380480_581739131886795_542557524_n.jpg

I've warmed up to Halo 4 Chiefs armor now, but aesthetically I think it got worse now that I see this.

And after seeing some Halo 3 screenshots, the spartans look better there also. Everything in Halo 4 is so.... cluttered.

Fuchsdh

Bring back the monks. I loved it when you heard them as the Halo title card came up. So iconic. Stop trying to take away from Halo's identity and substituting it with your own.

Look at this.

I've warmed up to Halo 4 Chiefs armor now, but aesthetically I think it got worse now that I see this.

And after seeing some Halo 3 screenshots, the spartans look better there also. Everything in Halo 4 is so.... cluttered.

If you look at that and don't immediately think CE Chief is best Chief you're doing it wrong :) I just love that helmet...

Look at this.

Yeah they had the monks in the first Halo 4 trailer, which made it even more strange they weren't in the actual game. It was just one of so many things changed that didn't need to be changed.

Besides the obvious gameplay changes nobody liked, the art direction and designs are so different from the other games it looks like a new series. Covenant characters all look like new species, the marines look terrible, the Forerunner levels are way too complex unlike the original simple designs, the human weapons look too sci-fi, and the Chief looks like a new character. There's no consistency from the Bungie games at all.

Why did they bring back the Camo Powerup in Reach Anniversary but only made it an Armor Ability in Halo 4?

Why? There's no defending these kinds of design decisions. It wasn't due to a lack of talent or resources; it was just a terrible decision. Many terrible decisions like that over the years with this franchise.

Why do people keep saying they "brought back" the camo power up in Reach? Bungie put it in the game. Bungie had it in the original team classic playlist.

Yes it was

While that may be true, it was the decision to make Camo an Armor Ability that was terrible, not the actual execution of it (which was also terrible).

343 quit the shit already, Camo as an Armor Ability is bullshit as is PV. Scrap AA's and inject some life into Halo's Powerups by making them the center piece of combat/map flow again, along with power weapons.

Why do people keep saying they "brought back" the camo power up in Reach? Bungie put it in the game. Bungie had it in the original team classic playlist.

Hmm, good point. Forgot about that Classic Playlist (best playlist/maps/settings in Reach IMO).

So all 343 did was keep it as an AA and place it on Anniversary maps. Jesus.. what a shame.

I really hope they don't take out Ordnance Drops because of how poorly they were implemented in Halo 4. It's a pretty slick addition except that they made the wrong choices of letting people use that stupid Ammo perk to get more from the Snipers and Incineration Cannon dropped at their feet.

Ordnance Drops that supply ammo for standard weapons, dropping grenades or even less-abusive AA's like Hologram would have been much better.

Same here, just trying to stay snarkily positive.

lol That's the best way IMO, especially when you have over a decade's worth of knowledge but the same mistakes keep occurring. Sometimes laughing at inexcusable mistakes is the only way to prevent depression.

Halo depression.

Well, that Halo 3 BR is just as inconsistent as always. Totally helps that there is a ton of feedback if you are hitting/shields are broken... oh wait.

Hope it goes better on Lan!

Yeah man. Halo 3's base gameplay is pretty okay but jeez dat in-game user interface design is terrible in comparison to Reach and even 4. I noticed last night Halo 3 doesn't use vibrate for damage feedback, it just uses it for when you fire weapons I'm pretty sure, which is insane! You have to rely almost solely on your shield indicator as opposed to 4 and especially Reach, which gave you a pretty good idea of how weak you were without making you look directly at the bar at all times with visual and sound cues.

The BR spread and lack of strong shield flare plus bleed-through just make the BR seem more inconsistent than it really is (which isn't super great to start with the netcode).

Makes me reaaaaally want to go back and try ZB DMRs in Reach.

heckfu

Banned
To be honest, for me the fight is finished. I don't care about the story much at all now. Didn't even care for it during Spartan Ops or the campaign. I was only upset at the treatment of Halsey/Chief.

I'm completely with you. People keep posting about Palmer or Lasky, etc, and honest to god I can't remember ANYTHING about either. I enjoy(ed) Halo for the gameplay and social aspect online...story for me is pretty much over after 3.

edit: that didn't read back the way I wanted to. I liked the stories in 1-3 and that was a great accompaniment to the gameplay and social aspects. After 3 though, the stories just didn't grab me.

Makes me reaaaaally want to go back and try ZB DMRs in Reach.

You try that and then you realise it's still got all the other toilet of awful like the bombs (they are not grenades) that kill you full shields, ball and chain strafe and grey goo wasteland that you're forced to play for half decent arena maps.

I don't miss Reach at all (maybe team snipes a bit).

You try that and then you realise it's still got all the other toilet of awful like the bombs (they are not grenades) that kill you full shields, ball and chain strafe and grey goo wasteland that you're forced to play for half decent arena maps.

I don't miss Reach at all (maybe team snipes a bit).

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do it full time, just see what the game is like instead of nostalgia-goggling it.

Reach snipes = so good. Halo 4's is totally ruined by flinch, unless you're playing no-scope, which hardly counts.

Tawpgun

I'm completely with you. People keep posting about Palmer or Lasky, etc, and honest to god I can't remember ANYTHING about either. I enjoy(ed) Halo for the gameplay and social aspect online...story for me is pretty much over after 3.

edit: that didn't read back the way I wanted to. I liked the stories in 1-3 and that was a great accompaniment to the gameplay and social aspects. After 3 though, the stories just didn't grab me.

Yup.

I think they convoluted the forerunner plot line way too much.

Heh, it would be interesting if they do a Metroid style with chief upgrading forerunner tech to his damaged armor.

There's a pretty detailed piece of concept art in the Halo 4 Art Book that suggests just that. It looked like a mix of Halo 4 Chief armor and the Light Suit from Metroid Prime 2.

Top Bottom