• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

wwm0nkey

I like you nilla. I've been dying to get into BF, but those damn unlocks and about 28937042834234 different loadout combinations has been deterring me for years.

Objective drastically took a plunge when they made it slow as shit IMO. Halo 1 and Halo 2 Objective modes were FUN, can't say the same for games after especially when you consider the many gameplay issues later games had.

Man, what I would do if I was in charge of this franchise. FUN > lore > making sense. So what if they design a Mauler-like weapon to shoot Rockets. They need to be more creative and make the weapons unique, enough of these "human reskins." I want some shit like this:

Why can't Halo be this frikkin cool? Don't give me that "but it doesn't belong in Halo" crap or "but the players need to know a Sniper is a Sniper by the way it looks" nonsense. Any of you guys saw Men in Black? Remember the Noisy Cricket? Yeah, that's fucking right. You use the shit once and you know what it does.

Halo + creativity + standard-setters. Those are the days Halo has to go back to. Fuck the police.
I like this post.

Omni

So as I load up the lobby of Assassins Creed IV for the first time, I suddenly realise that even after playing every game in the series, I have no fucking idea what is going on story wise.

Makes me appreciate Halo a little bit more.

m23

So as I load up the lobby of Assassins Creed IV for the first time, I suddenly realise that even after playing every game in the series, I have no fucking idea what is going on story wise.

Makes me appreciate Halo a little bit more.

That's exactly how I feel after I beat every Assassin's Creed game. Needless to say I won't be buying anymore of these games after the crap that was AC3.

daedalius

I like you nilla. I've been dying to get into BF, but those damn unlocks and about 28937042834234 different loadout combinations has been deterring me for years.

Objective drastically took a plunge when they made it slow as shit IMO. Halo 1 and Halo 2 Objective modes were FUN, can't say the same for games after especially when you consider the many gameplay issues later games had.

Man, what I would do if I was in charge of this franchise. FUN > lore > making sense. So what if they design a Mauler-like weapon to shoot Rockets. They need to be more creative and make the weapons unique, enough of these "human reskins." I want some shit like this:

Why can't Halo be this frikkin cool? Don't give me that "but it doesn't belong in Halo" crap or "but the players need to know a Sniper is a Sniper by the way it looks" nonsense. Any of you guys saw Men in Black? Remember the Noisy Cricket? Yeah, that's fucking right. You use the shit once and you know what it does.

Halo + creativity + standard-setters. Those are the days Halo has to go back to. Fuck the police.

I see a flak cannon in there! wooooo

Omni

That's exactly how I feel after I beat every Assassin's Creed game. Needless to say I won't be buying anymore of these games after the crap that was AC3.
Haha. The story lost me after AC2.

And that's what I was going to do... But the series just keeps pulling me in. I got a taste of the awesomeness and potential in AC2 and now I just keep buying them year after year. Completely hooked on the assassin stuff.

Fuchsdh

Haha. The story lost me after AC2.

And that's what I was going to do... But the series just keeps pulling me in. I got a taste of the awesomeness and potential in AC2 and now I just keep buying them year after year. Completely hooked on the assassin stuff.

I didn't realize until I talked with a friend that there were actually people who paid attention to the story stuff. I always thought it was just the vague hand-waving plausible pretense they wrapped around the stuff you actually cared about.

Trying to 100% some other games before I get started on ACII from the Games with Gold. Will be interesting to try, it would be my first time playing Assassin's Creed.

I didn't realize until I talked with a friend that there were actually people who paid attention to the story stuff. I always thought it was just the vague hand-waving plausible pretense they wrapped around the stuff you actually cared about.

Trying to 100% some other games before I get started on ACII from the Games with Gold. Will be interesting to try, it would be my first time playing Assassin's Creed.

ACII was a great game, when I got it a couple months ago for the promotion, I played the shit out of it, it was just fun. I liked the story, I liked the open-worldness of it. I'm also a fan of historical media, so it's perfect for me. It makes me want to go back and play the other games.

Also, the achievements are relatively easy as well.

FyreWulff

Does there happen to be a historical log of Halo 4's monthly challenges anywhere?

Also, I can't believe Battlefield 4 dropped party support. That's a basic function of FPS now.

Does there happen to be a historical log of Halo 4's monthly challenges anywhere?

Also, I can't believe Battlefield 4 dropped party support. That's a basic function of FPS now.

Although it doesn't have a traditional party system, you just invite players to your server (or join your friends) and it will put you on the same team/squad and once it does, it'll keep you there.

Not sure why they don't actually have what you would now considering a "traditional" party system though.

FyreWulff

gatdamn xbots

Are you talking about the squad system?

Although it doesn't have a traditional party system, you just invite players to your server (or join your friends) and it will put you on the same team/squad and once it does, it'll keep you there.

Not sure why they don't actually have what you would now considering a "traditional" party system though.

Yes, the squad system. Where you'd form up and -then- go into a server.

Someone joining a server and then everyone rushing in and hoping the slots haven't filled up is what people did in 2002. Apparently the Bone/PS4 versions have it. My brother and his clan have been complaining about this non-stop because it's like watching someone play a slot machine when they all try to get on the same server.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Someone joining a server and then everyone rushing in and hoping the slots haven't filled up is what people did in 2002. Apparently the Bone/PS4 versions have it. My brother and his clan have been complaining about this non-stop because it's like watching someone play a slot machine when they all try to get on the same server.
Damn, really? I had no idea. Sounds pretty backwards.

HTupolev

Someone joining a server and then everyone rushing in and hoping the slots haven't filled up is what people did in 2002.
Ah yes, trying to group join in older games. You're all together in the chat system, everyone is constantly refreshing the games browser (or retrying the soon-to-exist lobby name), suddenly people start vanishing and you hope you won't be too late and won't have connection issues...

In 2013.

Oh damn, I could see Halo finally getting a CGB but without a squad system. We'll then complain about it for months and hope for the best.

What are the chances of us getting a Halo 3 style Halo 5 beta this time round?
We don't have any data. You'd have much better luck predicting the weather on a particular weekend next May.

That being said, an open beta on Xbox One would be a good way of demonstrating their philosophy and whether burned fans should have done renewed hope by what they include within it.*

But again, we know nothing.

*Not that limited time with a beta is a good enough indicator, but anyway

TheOddOne

I think i did that first too.
Not 100% sure though, since i got to play Installation 04 a few weeks before the game's launch at some expo.
I'm just joking around :p

I always saw Installation 04 as a small "after" thing. I was really amped up to replay the campaign more.

So Ghosts came out.

Roll out the 10/10 reviews!

Imagine this with Activision instead of EA:

MONEY.gif

Fuchsdh

So Ghosts came out.

Roll out the 10/10 reviews!

Imagine this with Activision instead of EA:

MONEY.gif

I think one of IGN's issues is they too often just let diehard fans of franchises review the games. Sometimes this is good, as they can critique the finer changes better than a layman, but often just means the reviews can miss the forest for the trees.

(The actual review scores are nonsense, but I've never really had an issue with the reviews themselves. I think most game reviews are far better with the final tallies ripped off them.)

CyReN

I think one of IGN's issues is they too often just let diehard fans of franchises review the games. Sometimes this is good, as they can critique the finer changes better than a layman, but often just means the reviews can miss the forest for the trees.

(The actual review scores are nonsense, but I've never really had an issue with the reviews themselves. I think most game reviews are far better with the final tallies ripped off them.)

Ryan McCafferty a cool guy from the content he does but he should never be allowed to review anything Halo ever again. Maybe a second opinion review down the line.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I remember when 14 Day Buy and Play was "announced"; i googled it and every result was the press release from that day.

I will never understand that. Straight up Matrix level dodging there.

Magwik

Banned
I remember when 14 Day Buy and Play was "announced"; i googled it and every result was the press release from that day.

"The map pack was made free? Shit better make sure people actually pay for it! Quick make up a fake program!"

Goddamn, I remember reading this article and my computer monitor smelling like bullshit.

Microsoft should've just grown some balls and accepted that it was a mistake.

Great OP, Fyre

ElRenoRaven

Great post FyreWulf. It nailed a lot of the PR side on the head.Honestly I don't think the franchise will recover either. But who knows.

Let's call that what it was. a 100 percent lie. I think that's truly the moment that I lost any respect I had for 343 and Microsoft. It was just a total lie and there is nothing I hate more then liars. I think that's the moment I totally wrote off 343 and Halo.

Top Bottom