• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Yes, it's so beautiful ;-;

Lol

I'm so used to meleeing with the B button that everytime I push the right bumper I keep killing my fellow marines...

Halo isnt dad. Its in cryosleep.

If it makes you feel any better, I went from GTAV to Halo 3 and kept having the muscle memory to mash A to sprint.

A has never been sprint in Halo.

Halo 3 does not have sprint.

Defect

Some of the posts in that other thread are just cringeworthy. There are Colonels that think Halo needs to have even BIGGER CHANGES. Why do these people exist?

It's hilarious how some gamers view Game Reviewers. It must be one of the worst jobs you can have in this industry, since gamers will hate you and assume you were moneyhatted if they don't agree with your opinion. Call of Duty: Ghost is getting slammed in reviews, and all of a sudden gamers are saying reviewers have matured lol, just because they agree with their reviews for once.

Always thought it was hilarious. Super Mario ____ got a 10/10? Good job well deserved! Call of Duty _____ got a 9/10? Fucking Activision paying for good reviews doesn't deserve it Reviewers are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Defect

It's hilarious how some gamers view Game Reviewers. It must be one of the worst jobs you can have in this industry, since gamers will hate you and assume you were moneyhatted if they don't agree with your opinion. Call of Duty: Ghost is getting slammed in reviews, and all of a sudden gamers are saying reviewers have matured lol, just because they agree with their reviews for once.

Always thought it was hilarious. Super Mario ____ got a 10/10? Good job well deserved! Call of Duty _____ got a 9/10? Fucking Activision paying for good reviews doesn't deserve it Reviewers are just jumping on the bandwagon.
Well can you think of a bad Mario game that came out recently?

Well can you think of a bad Mario game that came out recently?

When was the last time there's been a bad Mario game?

Like Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube?

I don't know, maybe Activision doesn't moneyhat reviews. I DONT KNOW ANYMORE

To be honest, that makes logical sense, but when put in practice, you get a product like Halo 4. When the hardcore fans love it, the causals will follow.

Trey

Great thread, Fyre.

To be honest, that makes logical sense, but when put in practice, you get a product like Halo 4. When the hardcore fans love it, the causals will follow.

There's a middle ground. Halo used to tread the line between Counterstrike and Call of Duty much better than it has in recent years. The really hardcore disliked the franchise since Halo 2, but there was still a significant element of progression present (ranks and sensible playlists) and distinct lack of features that muddied the waters and forced skill parity.

image.php

Finally decided to catch up on this thread.

This halo 3 talk made me dig out my h3 funtage dvd, gifs incoming.

10219151714_42a22031c9_o.gif

I love shit like this in Halo 3. Halo 3 was just pure fun. So much goofy stuff could and would happen.

TvBMkLb.png
Is that a spartan?

So, what was this?

1380480_581739131886795_542557524_n.jpg

Thought I'd share this here.

Jedi Chief.

Once again, I fucking loved Halo 3's sandbox and mechanics.

This is pretty great.

I hope it's drastically different. Also, please don't revolve around Palmer and I really hope they change the way the SIV's act.

Halo 2. <3

I wish they would have went with Reach's superior menu system rather forcing their own, pointlessly different vision upon us.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sold my copy of Halo 4 for $13 yesterday. I rarely play it. I want to clear off shelf space for the launch of the PS4, and I just don't like owning stuff I don't plan on using.

I have five more days till my XBL runs out, and I plan on playing Reach everyday till then. Then PS4, Battlefield 4, Killzone, Destiny, and who knows what else. I hope one of those feels as fun and satisfying as Halo has, but I have my doubts. Still crossing my fingers for that arena FPS revival.

wwm0nkey

Sold my copy of Halo 4 for $13 yesterday. I rarely play it. I want to clear off shelf space for the launch of the PS4, and I just don't like owning stuff I don't plan on using.

I have five more days till my XBL runs out, and I plan on playing Reach everyday till then. Then PS4, Battlefield 4, Killzone, Destiny, and who knows what else. I hope one of those feels as fun and satisfying as Halo has, but I have my doubts. Still crossing my fingers for that arena FPS revival.

There is Warframe at launch for free and then Planetside 2 early 2014 if you are looking into games to play, also I wonder if any dev would make a Arena shooter for PS4 or just a new arena shooter for everything? The market is pretty open for one right now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

RIP in Peace

What are the chances of us getting a Halo 3 style Halo 5 beta this time round?

I totally think we are getting a beta. If not then they really don't know what they are doing or are hiding the direction which they did last time. I like those guys but the time period between E3 and launch were filled with deception from my point of view.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I am getting a PS4 but I will not sell a Halo game. They get it right and I will be there midnight picking up my Halo 5 edition Xbox One.
Yeah, I'll totally buy an XB1 for Halo. But it has to be a major return to form.

I just realized that if I want to play a FPS next gen, my options are Call of Duty: Ghost, Battlefield 4, and Killzone. God help me.

Why couldn't Microsoft had made Halo 2 HD a launch title for the Xbox One. :(

It's been said in that thread a few times, but this looks like something out of the ODST intro:

ibhHm7YcXsOI4d.gif

It really is amazing everyone survived.

That thread is incredibly insane. Haha seriously props to everyone on those planes for being such badasses and I'm so glad no one got hurt. I'd probably have cried all the way down if something like that happened to me. I wouldn't have it in my to deal with the stress of that. Those guys are pretty damn incredible.

EDIT: So apparently Certain Affinity helped with the multiplayer portion of Call of Duty: Ghosts...

I think it makes perfect sense to make a game for casual players who are the ones that dictate whether you're going to make a profit or not, but you have to also service your core community or they're going to become reverse evangelists and permanently damage your image. Like posting a thread on popular gaming forum explaining why you suck and your game is bad maybe?

Fuchsdh

I think it makes perfect sense to make a game for casual players who are the ones that dictate whether you're going to make a profit or not, but you have to also service your core community or they're going to become reverse evangelists and permanently damage your image. Like posting a thread on popular gaming forum explaining why you suck and your game is bad maybe?

This is an interesting question I don't think has ever been out to rest. It's often said in the tech world that the hardcore are "needed"--that as you say they are evangelists. But I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Plenty of games now bypass the hardcore market entirely and sell phenomenally well. Apple ignored "hardcore" markets and found commercial success. I honestly don't think heavily invested gamers are that important for a game or even a series' success. I'm welcome to evidence I'm wrong.

Now, with Halo being a transmedia franchise I think the balance is shifted. It's more likely that the hardcore are buying all those toys and books and soundtracks. All the sales of those are pretty minuscule as a percentage of the overall pie, but we are still talking hundreds of millions over the lifetime of Halo this far. *That* sort of halo effect to other merch is something that definitely does depend on people like those in this thread.

This is an interesting question I don't think has ever been out to rest. It's often said in the tech world that the hardcore are "needed"--that as you say they are evangelists. But I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Plenty of games now bypass the hardcore market entirely and sell phenomenally well. Apple ignored "hardcore" markets and found commercial success. I honestly don't think heavily invested gamers are that important for a game or even a series' success. I'm welcome to evidence I'm wrong.

Now, with Halo being a transmedia franchise I think the balance is shifted. It's more likely that the hardcore are buying all those toys and books and soundtracks. All the sales of those are pretty minuscule as a percentage of the overall pie, but we are still talking hundreds of millions over the lifetime of Halo this far. *That* sort of halo effect to other merch is something that definitely does depend on people like those in this thread.

It's more like Apple only survived long enough to become crazy successful BECAUSE of the hardcore evangelists. Without that core support, they wouldn't have been able to reach the point they are at now. They succeeded so much in the past decade because they were unique (like Halo used to be *cough*) and made quality stuff.

Fuchsdh

It's more like Apple only survived long enough to become crazy successful BECAUSE of the hardcore evangelists. Without that core support, they wouldn't have been able to reach the point they are at now. They succeeded so much in the past decade because they were unique (like Halo used to be *cough*) and made quality stuff.

The evangelists never brought them widespread success, though. They had a place in a few select media production spheres, and that's about it. The iPod had far more of a halo effect towards the Mac than the Mac qua anything else.

I would hate it if Apple stopped producing pro computers, because I've grown up with them my entire life and I cannot imagine going into my chosen field in a world where I have to use Windows all day. But I also realize that they could dump me and people like me without hurting their bottom line.

This isn't an either/or proposition--Apple can continue to make money selling their "niche" hardware at the same time as they make gangbusters on iPhones, and likewise I think it's entirely reasonable to argue that 343 can make a game that appeals to a large demo, including players who prefer a more traditional experience. But I think that when it comes to Macs, Halo, I dunno, Star Trek or whatever other realms where I can be classified as the "hardcore", it would be erroneous for me to ascribe more power to my say-so than there exists evidence for.

Top Bottom