• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Now that I'm reading through it again, OT17 was actually one of my favorites while it lasted, mostly because:

- it was created just before the big Halo Xbox One reveal and people were appropriately flipping their hypothetical shit
- we still had some of halogaf's key players unbanned on both Team SLRP and Team SALT
- shogmaster's amazing entry into the thread and subsequent embannery

It's a shame that HaloGAF got a large amount of the populace wiped out after due to the thread triple-split and eventually got some of the bigger names banned due to unrelated circumstances.

Looking through it I posted like 10 times at most and most of my posts we're proudly declaring how excited I am for the Xbox One, with no explanation for it.

Holy crap was I bad back then.

I'm still pretty bad now. But hey, at least I explain in a constructive way why I feel how I feel!

Fracas

#fuckonami
I was hyped (first Halo launch where I had Xbox Live) but the voice in the back of my head telling me it looked awful never quite went away.

daedalius

Heckfu is doing the new OT.

9bqvuQi.gif

PooBone

I'm playing through the Halo Anniversary campaign with my girlfriend, who has only ever played H2. It is AMAZING how well this game still holds up after 12 years. It feels like a totally modern shooter once you get past the graphics, and the weapon balance and enemy AI is superb. In my opinion this is still the best campaign in the series.

Just an idea on how MS/343 can generate statistics towards another Global Championship Tournament.

When you pre-order your copy of Halo 5, you'll get a GC Code to enter in Waypoint.

Once everyone inputs their special code each individual will be a qualifier to their next GC Tournament in the near future once after the game ships. While others would need to get their codes elsewhere or play (#?) games on Halo 5 to qualify like Halo 4 required.

If MS/343 generates enough awareness to the community and advertises the upcoming Halo 5 GC, then people will most likely pre-order or play to qualify in order to attend such an event to take their chances on winning for the prize money. Hopefully MS worked on the UI for the Xbone to prevent players from backing out so easily from last Halo 4 GC issue. I think its an innovative way to promote their community and game in being more active.

"Hey are you attending the Halo 5 GC Tourney?"
"Yup, I'm already a qualifier"
"I didn't pre-order so I missed my chance..."
"No worries. I'll help you play some 4v4 to win enough games for you to qualify with me. (B'cuz I'm not gonna fork over $5 foyoass) lol"
"Sure sounds good!"

BigShow36

Just an idea on how MS/343 can generate statistics towards another Global Championship Tournament.

When you pre-order your copy of Halo 5, you'll get a GC Code to enter in Waypoint.

Once everyone inputs their special code each individual will be a qualifier to their next GC Tournament in the near future once after the game ships. While others would need to get their codes elsewhere or play (#?) games on Halo 5 to qualify like Halo 4 required.

If MS/343 generates enough awareness to the community and advertises the upcoming Halo 5 GC, then people will most likely pre-order or play to qualify in order to attend such an event to take their chances on winning for the prize money. Hopefully MS worked on the UI for the Xbone to prevent players from backing out so easily from last Halo 4 GC issue. I think its an innovative way to promote their community and game in being more active.

"No worries. I'll help you play some 4v4 to win enough games for you to qualify with me. (B'cuz I'm not gonna fork over $5 foyoass) lol"
"Sure sounds good!"

Want to know an even better way to generate hype? Don't have a shitty game.

"Sure sounds good!"

Preorder shit needs to die. You don't fucking reward people for throwing their fucking money at a game they haven't played.

Would you preorder Titanfall if it meant entry into a tournament? No. So why would a Halo game be any different? "Oh, but I know how to play Halo". Really? Which one? Because if Halo 5 is mechanically on the same level as 4 it'll be a shit game for most players. I'd assume that Halo 5 would have to change something, and that's just on a personal level before I'd play another Halo game.

Either:
It stays the same and it'll suffer the same fate of people dropping off so preordering for a tournament would be silly

OR

It changes enough to keep things fresh and new but even then I'd have preordered to enter a tournament for a game I don't know how to play really well... which is silly.

Even if Halo 5 was miraculously a perfect game, and went back to the core, hardcore fans would still be skeptical. We can't even dictate if it's shitty or good at launch, you need at least 2 weeks to get out of the honeymoon period. Casual fans don't give a shit between sprint and no sprint, they only know if a game is fun or not. Halo 4 wasn't fun, and most people didn't know why, it looked like Halo 3 + loadouts and AA's to most people, so to them, it should've worked. But it's only if you delve into the fine details of the sandbox is when you can tell why things worked and why what didn't work, didn't work.

Yeah that's pretty evident
Preorder shit needs to die. You don't fucking reward people for throwing their fucking money at a game they haven't played.

Would you preorder Titanfall if it meant entry into a tournament? No. So why would a Halo game be any different? "Oh, but I know how to play Halo". Really? Which one? Because if Halo 5 is mechanically on the same level as 4 it'll be a shit game for most players. I'd assume that Halo 5 would have to change something, and that's just on a personal level before I'd play another Halo game.

Either:
It stays the same and it'll suffer the same fate of people dropping off so preordering for a tournament would be silly

OR

It changes enough to keep things fresh and new but even then I'd have preordered to enter a tournament for a game I don't know how to play really well... which is silly.
I wouldn't pre-order a game to enter into a tournament for a broken/unfinished game. That goes with everyone else except for other personal preferences.

The fundamental idea is to generate statistics for their game and a win - win for both MS/343 and the player fanbase that want to attend. People will evidently pre-order their favorite games anyhow. Why not take steps to promote their game even further?

That's hoping if the experience will be fresh but one can only assume they do make changes for the better.

Yeah that's pretty evident

I wouldn't pre-order a game to enter into a tournament for a broken/unfinished game. That goes with everyone else except for other personal preferences.

The fundamental idea is to generate statistics for their game and a win - win for both MS/343 and the player fanbase that want to attend. People will evidently pre-order their favorite games anyhow. Why not take steps to promote their game even further?

That's hoping if the experience will be fresh but one can only assume they do make changes for the better.

Because I think merging a preorder with entry to a tournament will fluff up the numbers for the tournament. It's misleading promotion.

Because I think merging a preorder with entry to a tournament will fluff up the numbers for the tournament. It's misleading promotion.
You have the option to input the code or not.
You don't need to attend. And theres other means of qualifying anyways. Don't see how any of this promotion is misleading.

I went looking at OT17. Saw the post referencing Mulan.

Holy shit that night was fun. Can't remember who all was there, but I remember ExWife, me, Funk, and some others were playing on Ragnacock and we were down by a few and someone played the Mulan "Make a Man out of You" song.
KuGsj.gif
So good.

TCKaos

I went looking at OT17. Saw the post referencing Mulan.

Holy shit that night was fun. Can't remember who all was there, but I remember ExWife, me, Funk, and some others were playing on Ragnacock and we were down by a few and someone played the Mulan "Make a Man out of You" song.
KuGsj.gif
So good.

I believe I was screaming it violently in to the mic, if I remember correctly.

Forgot H4 is almost a year old. This statue is nice.

prize-package.png

How big is that statue and how'll much. If it's less than $300 I want it.

Ugh Halo statue/toys are some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. <3

PS4 overheating rumors? Sogood.gif

I think nilla started a really interesting thread on HBO regarding Slayer and Objective in Halo. I recommend reading it. http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1188707

Nah Gaming Side already decided it was false because some anonymous developers (I think? Didn't really read the thread) said it wasn't true, plus Famous"NeverBeenWrongBefore"Mort said the same. I don't like the "I'LL BELIEVE WHAT I WANT ONLY MY SOURCES ARE RIGHT" attitude developing recently. :/ Although PS4 overheating is a REALLY, REALLY bad thing and I hope it isn't true for either consoles.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Halo Reach on a regular basis since 2011 and I'm still not an Inheritor. How the hell do they do it.

I've been playing Halo Reach on a regular basis since 2011 and I'm still not an Inheritor. How the hell do they do it.

That's your problem. You're not supposed to play the game. You're supposed to get into a match of Firefight, get a few kills, then AFK for 10 minutes and repeat till you're credit capped, silly.

Fuchsdh

Sogood? Son, you can't complain about people on Gaming Side being Sony fanboys and only existing to hate on Microsoft if you're gonna do the same in the other direction.
I'm just enjoying the drama now... No point caring about the train wreck this gen launch is going to be from a fanboy standpoint. Doesn't seem all that likely to me as I assume Sony wouldn't be that stupid considering how small the case is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So pathaticly true. I wish Halo 4 had FF :(.. Halo (5) please have FF.
Seriously. I love co-op survival modes. When Reach's FF was revealed to be more about getting high scores within a limited time frame, I was really disappointed... Then Halo 4 came around and totally got rid of Firefight. :-(

Karl2177

Ugh Halo statue/toys are some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. <3

I'm gonna take a page out of kylej's book and say:

If you hooked up Michaelangelo and Gianlorenzo's coffins up to a turbine, you could power New York City with the speed at which they are rolling in their graves.

nillapuddin

PS4 overheating rumors? Sogood.gif

I think nilla started a really interesting thread on HBO regarding Slayer and Objective in Halo. I recommend reading it. http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1188707

Ha, 2 things in your post

1. referencing "console war" nonsense over on gaming

2. bring up an conversation topic for future Halo MP

what does everyone respond to?
never change gaf

edit: Obviously GAF and HBO see the game very differently, I like the variance
Halos a big place

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

If you hooked up Michaelangelo and Gianlorenzo's coffins up to a turbine, you could power New York City with the speed at which they are rolling in their graves.
Are those MLG pros or something?

Holy shit, that brings back some memories. I still use that joke from time to time.

I agree that statue is nice, but there are better things that I'd spend <$300 on.

Fuchsdh

never change gaf

Well I try and make sure I have something of actual substances in my post along with the nonsense... Usually.

Browsing HBO is dreadful on my phone so I haven't had a chance to look through the whole discussion yet. My first thought is I wonder how many general players actually see Halo in those kinds of terms when compared to other franchises. We certainly know objective games aren't that popular in Halo, despite some great efforts by both Bungie and 343.

daedalius

never change gaf

edit: Obviously GAF and HBO see the game very differently, I like the variance
Halos a big place

I want to read it, but that site... ugh.

nillapuddin

My first thought is I wonder how many general players actually see Halo in those kinds of terms when compared to other franchises. We certainly know objective games aren't that popular in Halo, despite some great efforts by both Bungie and 343.

I think it really breaks down into whether or not people are still playing the game socially, if I played online solo, never with any groups or mic, Halo MP wouldnt be my main squeeze.

One player can win a match in COD
(afaik: havent played the last 2 installments)
One player cannot win a match in BF
In Halo, I think it sits fairly in the middle, one player can severely affect the game, but it might not always be enough..

I am fortunate enough to always have someone to play Halo with, I have a fairly devoted group of friends that we always play together, we typically have between 4-7 people on any given "Halo night" and we usually only ever play playlists that we can occupy the full team.

Because of this, Teamwork is inherent, and therefore Objective modes are much more alluring, slaying does nothing for me, but if its part of defending or assaulting an objective, then I am all for it.

I can honestly say I never play MP solo, ever.
I have no interest in it, working with a team however, thats where its at.

So from my POV, objective is king, and Halo gameplay systems (Shields, Kill time, etc) lend itself perfectly for it.

This is what I want to love about Battlefield so much, there is so much potential to have teamwork driven gameplay, and BF4 is designed specifically for it (squad spawning, squad bonuses,
the fact you will get fucked owned if you are not working together

I just want to see how Halo could harness the ability for players that might not know eachother, to work together.

edit:
better map design will be paramount

I like you nilla. I've been dying to get into BF, but those damn unlocks and about 28937042834234 different loadout combinations has been deterring me for years.

Objective drastically took a plunge when they made it slow as shit IMO. Halo 1 and Halo 2 Objective modes were FUN, can't say the same for games after especially when you consider the many gameplay issues later games had.

Man, what I would do if I was in charge of this franchise. FUN > lore > making sense. So what if they design a Mauler-like weapon to shoot Rockets. They need to be more creative and make the weapons unique, enough of these "human reskins." I want some shit like this:

Why can't Halo be this frikkin cool? Don't give me that "but it doesn't belong in Halo" crap or "but the players need to know a Sniper is a Sniper by the way it looks" nonsense. Any of you guys saw Men in Black? Remember the Noisy Cricket? Yeah, that's fucking right. You use the shit once and you know what it does.

Halo + creativity + standard-setters. Those are the days Halo has to go back to. Fuck the police.

Top Bottom